Is Palpatine Darth Sidious?

Delance

Victory, you say?
As long as crazy pointless threads go, this one is a winner.

Also interesting:

A. What is the connection between Senator Palpatine and Darth Sidious?

According to Cinescape Online's Insider, Rick McCallum, TPM's producer set the record straight on Sidious' identity (also check Question 3I) in a British magazine called Starburst by saying "Ian [McDiarmid] is the Phantom Menace. He's not the Emperor yet [in The Phantom Menace], but he is a Sith Lord. He's also Darth Sidious. That's Ian in the robe."

You can also check this article here.

Palpatine equalling DS is sooooooo extremely old 'news'. I think I first red it in the Tie-Fighter game, maybe even earlier.

Actually, we didn't know that "Darth" was a title until Phantom Menace. So Sidious could not have been named or mentioned until that point. The West End Games RPG gives a long-winded backstory of how the Empire was formed, but it's all in vauge terms, as nothing canon had been written yet. This is all chalked up to the Emperor going back and deleting history files and such.

Well, "darth" sounded more like a first name to Vader than a title. The title was lord of sith, so he was called "lord Vader". In fact, Obi-Wan uses Darth as a name...

DV: "Now I am the master"
OB1: "Only a master of 3v1l, Darth"

That's not really incompatible with the title thing, it just seem as if it was something they came up with for TPM, and not all along.

The Darth thing was known pretty long before TPM.
IIRC was introduced with the RPG books or some compendiums.

it´s an acronym of DARk lord of the siTH

If thats true Ghost, I really, truely forever hate Lucas.

Originally posted by LeHah
If thats true Ghost, I really, truely forever hate Lucas.
Well, yeah, this thing is very old, thought that everyone knew that. i think that was canonized by Lucas in TPM

Originally posted by Delance
Isn't Darth Vader supposed to mean "Dark Father" in dutch or something?

Yeah to that too.

Blah. I'll take a look around and see what the word is on that.

Originally posted by Delance
Isn't Darth Vader supposed to mean "Dark Father" in dutch or something?
German. Is was originally consturcted using the phonetic sounds of "Dark" and "vater". My first recollection of it being used as a rank/title was in the Star Wars comics by Dark Horse though the novels may have gotten there first. Darth meaning Dark Lord of the Sith is bullshit as far as the official sources I've read are concerned.

I don't see why it being taken from "DARk lord of the siTH" would bug you guys since that's what they are.

But it's probably the shittiest acronym since "F.I.S.T."

I was gonna ask that Mav23. But I was afraid I was the only one who didn't know.

So what is "F.I.S.T."?
To Google. I must find the answer.

Back