Is Chris Roberts a racism?

Okay, in Wing Commander it is within limits. But I actually meant the newer Chris Robert games, like Conquest.

Of course, the traitorous Admiral is a russian. A European or American cannot be at all. Maybe Chris should slowly accept the cold war is over and that the russians aren´t the bad guys anymore.

At least i found a solution for starlancer. I used the Ship switcher around all Russian and American ships to exchange. To destroy the Washington, was really funny.

For you people who are skirting around whether or not we were justified in dropping the bomb on Japan, we were. IT was kill 150000 people or a couple million US soldiers, not to mention the Japanese women and children who were drafted into the Japanese "homeland defence."

The war was already won as the bombs where released. And Japan had already offered its surrender or at least an armistice. Naturally that is today differently represented, since the army would be considered otherwise as a war criminal.

The same applies to the German city Dresden. A place with 200000 refugees that was merciless bombed as the war already was lost.

Originally posted by Calzone

The war was already won as the bombs where released. And Japan had already offered its surrender or at least an armistice. Naturally that is today differently represented, since the army would be considered otherwise as a war criminal.

What surrender? Japan didn't offer surrender until AFTER the Nagasaki bombing. The Japanese leaders were demanding that the people fight to the death whether they liked it or not.

Using nuclear weapons against Japan was a terrible thing, but, like the destruction of Kilrah in WC3, it was seen as the lesser of evils. It was estimated that MORE Japanese civilians would have been killed by a full-scale invasion than had been killed by the nuclear bombs (I heard the estimate was approximately two MILLION Japanese dead if the US chose the invasion route).

Viper, I'm not sure why you started your post with a quote from me, since you don't seem to be arguing my point :p.

Calzone, I've already said this before - Chris Roberts had virtually no influence over the 'later Chris Roberts games'. About all he has to do with StarLancer is putting his name on the box. If you want to argue that Chris Roberts is a racist, go ahead - but you have prove this based on the games he actually made, not just paid for.

Furthermore, the "we're the good guys and they're evil" thing can be argued as an attempt to make a game more realistic, not more racist. In the real world too, the enemy is always made into an evil force. The public generally accepts this without question, and even takes offence when someone tries to prove that this is not the case.

I agree that Starlancer is really bad in its story, the Russians executing everyone and so on. But IIRC, it was an American squadron who defected, so there you go. Still, I agree with you on Starlancer.

The WC games are sometimes also very very black-and-white only, especially WC3 ( Anna Magdalena carrying orphans or their bombing of an ancient cultural site where some confed musician gave a concert, a missing TCN flash), even WC1. Though in the novels and some manuals the Kilrathi get a better treating and the introduction of Hobbes also helped.

Many games use this kind of absolute positive and absolute negaitve factions (like C&C). I think it's sad but hey, there are exceptions.

As I already wrote, racist was perhaps the wrong word. However the typical prejudices and plate nerves enormous. (Asians particularly honorably, Germans particularly obligation-consciously, American particularly patriotically, Russians are particularly barbarian).

Originally posted by Quarto
Viper, I'm not sure why you started your post with a quote from me, since you don't seem to be arguing my point :p.

There was a little similarity, the fact that you stated that the games don't limit what you can think about the situation, but that you fill in the gaps with your won ideas/thoughts/morals etc.

C-ya

Well, They choosed US, Germany and Japan as a good guys mainly for the sales, WC has been sold very good Germany, And i think that sold good in Japan or they wanted to open a new *market* there

They'd tried that in the past -- WC just didn't catch on in Japan... (as opposed to Ultima, which was amazingly popular there).

Calzone: In 1945 the Japanese would only have surrendered if the following condition was met: the imperial system (the Emperor) had to be retained. If the Americans accepted this then it might have caused a surrender before the atomic bombs were dropped. But one must not underestimate the influence of the military which wanted to fight to the death. The only way the Americans could have induced a surrender without having to invade or drop nukes would have been to accept the military hardliner's other demands; no post-war occupation, Japanese self-disarmament and the right to conduct their own war crime tribunals free from foreign influence. In view of what the Americans had planned for Japan, these terms or at least the last three, were not acceptable.

Since you don't like Starlancer's story, why did you buy it? IIRC the description on the box cover gives a good impression of what this game is about.

This topic is incredibly low-brow.

A game is a game. Yes, it takes influences from WWII, but so does Star Wars. I'm expecting you to compare the destruction of the Death Star to the bombing of Nagasaki.

Originally posted by Viper61
There was a little similarity, the fact that you stated that the games don't limit what you can think about the situation, but that you fill in the gaps with your won ideas/thoughts/morals etc.
Given that I can't even figure out what you mean when you say what I said, I think you misunderstood me :p.

Originally posted by LeHah
This topic is incredibly low-brow.

That's nice...

A game is a game. Yes, it takes influences from WWII, but so does Star Wars. I'm expecting you to compare the destruction of the Death Star to the bombing of Nagasaki.

Since the series has been rather heavily influenced by World War II and its events it's rather fair to discuss these... I'm not quite sure what your problem with that is...

I'm expecting you to compare the destruction of the Death Star to the bombing of Nagasaki.

There is a little difference between the death star and Nagasaki. The death star was a military vessel with a military crew. And i don´t think, that Nagasaki can destroy a planet. :D

Yeah... that and the Death Star being FICTIONAL and stuff.

But... the Death Star and Nagasaki? Those are two entirely different cases and they can't be compared logically anyway.

Although, if I've learned my stuff right, the US thought Nagasaki had some kind of military installation beneath it or something... don't remember, and dear GOD, don't quote me on that.

As for the Japanese, they see the bombings a little differently... that the people in Hiroshima and Nagasaki were going about their business one day, and suddenly the barbarians from America came and basically vaporized everyone in those two cities. But anyway...

I also agree with Kris... Wing Commander is basically WWII in space. There are many parallels(sp?) when you think about it long enough. Doesn't make it any less excellent than it really is though.

Originally posted by Quarto

Given that I can't even figure out what you mean when you say what I said, I think you misunderstood me :p.

Okay, I give up :p I guess I just read what I wanted to read into your post :)

The first target for the second nuke was Kyoto, but they won´t destroy this historian (dear god, my english is awful :D ) city. So they choose Nagasaki. In my opinion, they just do it, because they want show russia, how strong they are. There was no other reason, i think.

Back