Help Wanted

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by TC
Paladin is somewhat easily explainable. He was always an operative. He worked for intel before the WC Movie, through WC1 and 2, onward until he got involved with politics
TC
...The case could be made that, once entering politics, he continued to be an "operative" of sorts (bad political joke--oh well!)
:)

My tips...

As I don't know anything about the Novels (I should read that) I won't comment to that, but I will make general tips.(wc4 tips that is)

First off, let me tell you it would be A LOT easier iof you posted what mission exactly you needed help at. Different levels have different circumstances, and different circumstances cause different reactions. Anyway, here:

1. First off, when under Confed always fly a Hellcat/Longbow(depending if there are cap ships or not)

2. When Border World, I think Vindicator sucks, thats my opinion anyway, so I mainly stick to the Dragon when we have them, if they're gone, I stick to the Banchee/Avenger, depending whats the target.

3. Have guns set on full as much as possible. When in a dragon against ships not shooting at you hit "H" and use the fusion gun, hold the fire key as long as possible, then when you have a perfect shot fire, 1 shot will lower shields, another would kill. For ships against you, have guns set on Full.

4. Missles are awesome, so use them. On Ace I found myself generally under using my missles. I seemingly always had missles when I got back. When you are in a 2 on 1 (or 4 on 2 if you have a wingman) Always get on the "Ace's" tail, fire a couple of guns (lower shields slightly), and send a missle up the tailpipes. if you are in a rush, just launch the missle, just make sure you are RIGHT on his tail. Ace's generally have good defence for missles, so if you are inside 600 clicks your missle should hit and kill. When the ace is gone its a 1 on 1. Use guns only then unless for some reason somebody ELSE is firing at you. you should always win 1 on 1's as you should constantly be on the opposing sides tail

5. Tailgate: When in a dogfight it is an awesome idea to stay right behind your target, this way he can't suddenly turn around and rush you, nor can he shoot at you.

6. When in doubt, and being tailgated, use Monty Python. IE: hit the Afterburn(the button that makes afterburn go until you hit the button again, on my computer its `, then the Caps lock button, you can turn around and shoot the enemies and their missles while afterburning the opposite direction, when your shields are up again stop. [Major fuel deprevation. Emergencies only.]

7. When you first "auto" into a system there are generally enemies on the other side, and usually you are outnumberred. I dunno if this works on Nightmare, I've been playing Ace most recently, but normally you run straight to the Ace (full guns) and right when he gets in range fire as much as you can. After 2 seconds of firing, swirve up or down hard, that way, he runs into your fire, depleting his front shields; while you weren't touched by him or his wingman/wingmen

8. Missle Locks are avoidable by other methods then decoys, but normally decoying is the best. First of all, make sure you attack the pilots attacking you, and not your wingman's attacker. Your wingman can handle themselves (except against the Vesuvius and Catscratch sucks in Circe with the tank offencive) Anyway, when you get a missle lock, or see missle lock light up, I suggest (unless in the middle of killing an enemy) launching 1 decoy while swirving up or down and to the left or right. If shooting at an enemy launch 1 decoy, if that doesn't work afterburn, launch a decoy, all while going up and to the left. No more than 3 decoys per missle. A missle is mornally stopped by going up and to the left in an afterburn while launching decoys. Don't sweat missle much, usually the computer doesn't have that good of a lock.

9. Afetbrun a lot. Always be on full throttle and try to be on an enemies tail as much as possibly, if he afterburns, you do, set the same speed as he has to stay right behind him (the "y" key on my computer)

If you need help in a specific message e-mail me at odellben@hotmail.com I have a lot of saved games I can go to right now (I save every majorly changing game decision and every clipscene I like (letting tolwyn go or not, helping hawk or panther, letting maniac get creamed or not, flashpack or no, Broder World or Confed, Brig or Mess Hall, etc...) I could easily get to your level within an hour (I can beat it in a day) and tell you how to specifically beat that level. If you need help at all, just e-mail.

Ben (Why am I a cadet, I've beaten this game SO many times its not even funny. Ok, it is funny, but still)

Dear God, Ben, I'd seriously stop using Hellcats. They're the most nondescript fighter in Confed's lot. I'd rather fly a Raiper that that.

First of all, Rapiers are the best ship in Super Wing Commander, I dunno how its rates elsewhere , but from what I've seen from it, if the Dragon were in Super Wing Commander, the Rapier would kick its butt!

Next, we all have our flying styles, and with the Hellcat, I am unstoppable. I know how it flies, how it launches, I just know the ship I guess (as well as possible) what other choices are there in Confed anyway? Beats the longbow... The missle filled, yet extremely slow Longbow. The Arrow from Wing Commander 3 is good, and has the great speed, but it has horrible shields and less (or not as good)weapons. So yes: My first choice IS the Hellcat for Confed. Hell, for the Border Worlds I'd still fly it (up until the Dragon is availabble that is) as its better than the Banchee and I seriously suck with Vindicators.

Ben

Thanks for the Public Service Announcement Ghost.

And thanks, Ben. I can fly best in a Vindicator (It is the BW equivalent to the Hellcat... jack of all trades, master of none), and your tips will help a lot. It wasn't a question about any particular mission although I can't finish the ground mission in Circe without losing the command center every time. And yes, I DO target the missile tanks first! But I'm stubborn and I hate not destroying a target within seconds of going after it. :p

Heh.

Ghost... LOL. Its how I fly best. Leave it at that. Whats better than that for WC4 Confed Missions?!

Saturnyne -- Then use the Vindicator if you are best in that. Also, heres what I did for the Circe tank offencive:

First of all I want to say this was the hardest mission in the game to me. I understand why you have trouble. Now, before launch get rid of catscratch, he REALLY sucks. He either ejects within 30 seconds of being on the planet or in the ground battle above it (on Ace) Choose Maniac, or if you prefer Hawk or Panther, one of them. All about your style. If you like Catscratch, run with him, personally, he continuosly let me down that mission.

In the battle after the first auto there should be 4 banchee's, 2 on the left and 2 on the right. Right away I broke right and did not say anything to my wingman. I afterburned and locked onto one of them, as soon as they were in range I orderred my wingman to break and attack, as he went for one of the two, I hit the second with an IFF missle (the best in the game IMHO as you must not wait for the lock, you can fire without even looking at a target. Its tight) Anyway as soon as you get on the tail of the guy you're attacking launch a missle (make sure its not teh same on your wingman is attacking, his first volley he'll most likely launch a missle too) Both of those ships have a great chance of being dead within 30 seconds, and seeing how you afturburned the whole time to get to them, the ships that were on your left should just be arriving, sick your wingmen (attack my target) on one of them as you get the other. Use straight guns this time. These two should not bring any trouble to you at all. I really hate this beginning part because whenever I lose on the planet I gotta go through it, very annoying.

Anyway, now you're on the planet and you shouldn't have any damage. You said you went straight for the tanks? Bad choice in my opinion. Right away you should try and kill 1 certain tank, the Missle tank. As soon as you auto onto the planet, lock the first target into your box, hit tab 3 times (I think) and the Missle Tank should come up. Afterburn to it and use full guns to take it out. On the way you should need to use about three decoys, (2 missles) try not to evade them but rather just decoy them off of you. As soon as the missle tank is gone your missle threat will lessen greatly. I found it launching missles at me every 5 seconds until I ran outta decoys (either that or the 4 hellcats did and it hit the thingy you must protect, either way it cuases the most damage) That tank should die in one pass

As soon as you kill that tank you should turn to the hellcat ace, theres only one in the system and he'll be gunning for you. Get right on his tail and use an IFF to take him out. Easy kill as every time I met him, his tail was towards me. Tell your wingman to form on your wing so he'll bring the enemies to you. When they near have your wingman attack the target going after you and use a second missle for a third hellcat gunning your wingman (your wingman should be greatly damaged if not ejected). Your wingman should be able to take out the one going after you, and then must dog fight the last remaining hellcat. The time that passed should be a minute or less on the planet (afterburn to the missle tank and taking it out, 15 seconds, Ace killing, 5 seconds, Other hellcat 20 seconds. (my times) Now focus all your attention on the tanks Go to the first in a string of them . They were lined up like this for me....
X=tanks (wonder if this works)
O = YOU
X X X
O X X X
More tanks then that, but still. Afterburn in, take the first tank with guns (stop afterburnin g when he's in range) launch a missle at the closest tank, then the next with guns then another two missles, guns, missles, etc... Anytime that you need to recharge your guns use missles. Anyway, when the cluster of tanks is gone,. go for the spread out tanks, the ones on a hill far away, etc. Then finally, kill the Hellcat and it should be over. With this strategy I had no trouble beating this mission. Hope it works for you. If you are having trouble in a particular area, just tell me about it.

Ben
(I hope thgis made sence, it made sence in my head when I was typing it out)

Originally posted by Ben
First of all, Rapiers are the best ship in Super Wing Commander, I dunno how its rates elsewhere , but from what I've seen from it, if the Dragon were in Super Wing Commander, the Rapier would kick its butt!
Ben

Lets compare stats...:)

F-107A Lance class Heavy Fighter
Length: 40 meters
Mass: 26 metric tonnes
Max. Speed: 500 kps
Aft. Speed: 1,200 kps
Acceleration: 900 k/s^2
Max. Y/P/R: 60/75/60
Guns-
(2) Plasma Gun
(2) Tachyon Gun
(2) Fission Gun
Missiles-
Torpedo (2x1)
Javelin HS (2x2)
Pilum FoF (2x3)
Decoys: 24
Front Shield: 500 cm
Rear Shield: 500 cm
Fore Armor: 300 cm
Aft Armor: 300 cm
Side Armor: 300 cm each
Jump Capable: Yes
Cloak Capable: Yes

F-44B Rapier class Medium Fighter
Length: 24 meters
Mass: 13.5 metric tonnes
Max. Speed: 450 kps
Aft. Speed: 1,300 kps
Acceleration: "Excellent" k/s^2
Max. Y/P/R: 10/10/10
Guns-
(2) Laser Cannon
(2) Neutron Gun
Missiles-
Dart DF (2x2)
Pilum FoF (2x2)
Spiculum IR (2x1)
Decoys: None
Front Shield: 7 cm
Rear Shield: 7 cm
Fore Armor: 5 cm
Aft Armor: 4 cm
Side Armor: 3 cm each
Jump Capable: Yes
Cloak Capable: No

Originally posted by Ben
I don't know about SWC, but in my opinion the WC1 Rapier sucks. The only decent ship for my flying style in WC1 is the Raptor. The Rapier would be a great ship though if it had a larger gun pool, but more essentially more afterburner fuel.

Re: My tips...

Originally posted by Ben
(...)

1. First off, when under Confed always fly a Hellcat/Longbow(depending if there are cap ships or not)

(...)

What other choice do we have in WC4?

Whoa

Mekt, that is true, I don't know of any other choice, but from the posts I read I saw most people hated the Hellcats, I wanted it known I don't think they're that bad. Only when the computer flies them, the computer totally disgraces them.

Unforgiven, in Super Wing Commandor you start in a Hornet, a fast moving but low shielded and armorer (as well as less weaponed) vehicle, you quickly move up to a scimitar, it has Mass Cannons with better armor, then to a Raptor. The raptor would be a heavy fighter with Neutron/Mass Cannons. It has quite a stock of missles and decoys, but its slow, and I greatly enjoy speed. Speed saves my butt 3 out of 4 missions, and the raptor is horrid at acceleration and turning, the two main things you need to dodge missles.

LOAF, thanks for the stats, it obvious the Dragon is better, but what if you took the Dragon back to the time period of Super Wing Commander. Fusion Cannons were non existant. Also, note, it seems the recharge rate to Dragons are a lot slower, and I don't know why but I feel like in the Rapier I go a lot faster than in the dragon. Also keep in mind the Rapier was more effective in the time period it was in opposed to Dragons. I mean the Dragons in Wing Commander 4 were great, but I could still beat the game without using them (except for the 1 or two mission where you had to use them) In Super Wing Comnmander I find it almost impossible to destroy the Gwnhyvar in a Raptor, in a Rapier it woulda been really easy. The Rapier was a ground breaking discovery as it gave Confed one ship that could do it all with ease. That one ship probably saved my butt many times. It was more effective at that time then the Dragon was, as well as more needed.

Ben

Re: Whoa

Originally posted by Ben
Unforgiven, in Super Wing Commandor you start in a Hornet, a fast moving but low shielded and armorer (as well as less weaponed) vehicle, you quickly move up to a scimitar, it has Mass Cannons with better armor, then to a Raptor. The raptor would be a heavy fighter with Neutron/Mass Cannons. It has quite a stock of missles and decoys, but its slow, and I greatly enjoy speed. Speed saves my butt 3 out of 4 missions, and the raptor is horrid at acceleration and turning, the two main things you need to dodge missles.
The Raptor is quite fast once you get it going, and somehow, slow turn rates never really bothered me. Must be my flying style.
In fact, when I go from a Raptor to a Rapier, I keep crashing into stuff (asteroids, fighters, capships, you name it), cause it's too faaaaaaaast when I'm used to the Raptor.
Anyhow, the Raptor better suits my flying style, but that's completely personal of course.

Re: Re: Whoa

I loved the Raptor for the sheer amount of firepower it could lay down. The only fighter in the game that could outgun it was the Jalti, and it had more than enough agility to deal with that, as long as you were smart enough to avoid the head on pass. Moving to the Rapier always felt like a step down to me, though that's very much a matter of personal taste.

Best, Raptor

Ignoring that comment that Angel was babbling about that the Raptor only has a thirty-something percent chance of success against a Jalthi. :)

Ben, as much as I prefer a Vampire over a Dragon/Lance, I seriously doubt a Rapier, even with modifications to 2673 standards could do much against a Dragon.

LOAF, why a F-44B Rapier?

Could be a typo, but knowing LOAF, it probably isn't. AFAIK, LOAF refers to the WC1 Rapier as (Y)F-44A Rapier II and WC2 Rapier as F-44G Rapier II. Don't recall flying a F-44B in the games.

Those stats are the SWC variant of the rapier. I don't know what it's designation is, however.

TC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back