Handles .. .

Originally posted by mpanty

Me too... :) I still have them...

Make that three of us. :D They're still guarding the bookshelf in my old bedroom back at my parent's house.

Best, Raptor

Ghost: I re-watched an old Transformers video (holding up well considering its approx 15yrs old :) ) and I believe the truck guy's name is Long Haul.

DetailedTarget: I haven't seen Riding Bean, Armitage III or Wings of Honneamaise. I have seen Ghost in the Shell, but that didn't appeal as much as Ninja Scroll did. As for Urutsukidoji, I meant Legend of the Overfiend. There's another called Legend of the Demon Womb. But you're right, it is sick.

Originally posted by Raptor
Make that three of us. :D They're still guarding the bookshelf in my old bedroom back at my parent's house.

Curses! Why did I give up my Transformers toys? Why?! :mad:

Yes! It is Long-Haul, and i can bet that the old video is TRANSFORMERS:THE MOVIE , damn in that movie Megatron and Optimus died :(

Penguin - Wings is a slow story. A drama, some might even call it a "chick flick", but it was still good. Phenomenal animation and graphic quality as well.

Riding Bean may be a little difficult to find at this point, and is not on DVD. Given Animeigo's new head-up-their-ass policies, it's not likely to be either. If you dig action, comedy, and kick ass car chases, check it out. As I said, for 1 off movies, it's one of my all time fav's. And certainly the most watched in my several hundred tape/DVD Anime collection.

If you didn't get into GITS all that much, you won't get into Armitage III all that much either. It too is a CyberPunk story that explores humanity. Excellent story, not a copy of GITS in anyway, and highly recommended. The movie is out on DVD and is essentially all the OVAs back to back, editied only to remove breaks, and acted by Keifer Sutherland and Elizabeth Berkley. Berkley nailed the performance.

One that I can't beleive I forgot is Perfect Blue. It's a thriller that I'd almost call it a Psycho Drama or Psycho Thriller maybe. It's about a Pop idol who turns to acting, but her old manager hates the idea of that and.....well, you'll just have to see it. It keeps you guessing till the very end. Phenomenal movie.

Wings' a chick-flick?
I think not!!!

Wings of Honemaise (sp?): Royal Space Force is about a young man in astronaut training during the space race on his planet (its set on a world very similar to, but not quite like, Earth). Its a very good film, imho. The only bad thing I've heard about it is that CPM managed to screw up the sound on the English DVD edition.

I don't find Armitage to be much like Ghost in the Shell. While there is still the basic focus on what constitutes a person, Armitage is much more action oriented than Ghost in the Shell, which was a good thing for me. The GitS movie was just too slow, imho. There's also the GitS comics (8 issues, and supposedly a GitS 2 comic series is in the works), which are much, much better than the movie (they're obviously different continuities, btw, although the movie parallels some of the comic stories). As for Armitage, I've only seen the Polymatrix movie, but I've heard watching the four seperate OVAs is better than seeing the movie. Incidentally, Pioneer is releasing an Armitage sequel entitled Armitage: Dual Matrix. I believe it will be out in Japan over the summer.

Personal favorites on my end include Cowboy Bebop (of course!), BGC 2032 (what's a Seikira? I WANT THE REPLICANTS!!!), Martian Successor Nadesico (not going to make much sense unless you understand the mecha genre - if you do, its uproariously hilarious), Tenchi Muyo OVA (series 3 due out soon!), and UC Gundam (no Wing!).

No offense was intended man. I liked it enough to list it as one of the top notch movies to see. :)

As for Armitage, I had the 4 OVAs long before I even heard of the movie, they are good. There is no story or even footage that was removed in order to make the movie (that I can recall, it's been awhile). At first I was unsure about the hollywood "talent", but I went back and sampled the OVAs, and I think now I like the movie voice acting better. :) And I said only the genre and over all story premise was similar to GITS, not that 1 was a rip off of the other or anything.

On the subject of CP Anime though, have you seen Cyber City Oedo 808 or Battle Angel? They are both really cool. And then there's also Angel Cop (which was good), New Dominion Tank Police (which flat out rocked), and Burn Up and Burn Up W (excelent, though the acting was a tad screechy and annoying at times in W). Oh yeah, can't forget ADP and BG Crash as well (though Crash was 'ok' at best IMHO)

I never got into Tenchi myself, and am not a mecha freak. What is Tenchi about again? I read it once somewhere, but forget now.

Originally posted by DetailedTarget
I never got into Tenchi myself, and am not a mecha freak. What is Tenchi about again? I read it once somewhere, but forget now.

Hee hee.
Tenchi OVA (the original and best, albeit incomplete) is about a young boy who lives with his widowed father (pervert! His dad is, not Tenchi.) during the school year, and stays with his grandfather (who is the caretaker of a shrine) during the summer. At the back of the shrine is a cave that is locked because, according to legend, 700 years ago, one of Tenchi's ancestors sealed a demon away in the cave. Tenchi, of course, doesn't believe a word of it, lets his curiousity get the better of him, and accidentally releases the mummified demon. He escapes and attempts to seal said demon back in the cave, but following his first day of school, an attractive young woman named Ryoko shows up looking to vent her frustrations on being locked in the cave for 700 years...
Did I mention she can fly, teleport, walk through walls, and throw energy bolts?
Shortly thereafter, Aeka, Royal Princess of Planet Jurai, shows up looking for her fiance/half-brother who disappeared while chasing Ryoko (Tenchi's ancestor), along with her younger sister Sasami. We also learn that Ryoko's space battleship, Ryo-ohki, can turn into a tiny furry lop-eared rabbit-like creature that meows and has a taste for carrots. A ditzy blond galaxy police officer named Mihoshi drops in (literally), and finally, Ryoko's 'mother', a mad scientist named Washu, rounds out the group.
Oh, and did I mention that every last one of them is interested in Tenchi?
There are two TV shows with characters with the same names and appearances (the TV shows have totally different storylines even from each other), but I'm not as fond of them as I am of the OVAs.

Interested in Tenchi is an understatement, I love Tenchi well mainly Ryoko but anyway.I have to admit I do like Ninja scroll and the Armitage movie and Ghost in the Shell, Though Vampire Hunter D and Galaxy Express 999 have always been my favorites.

Ghost: Actually the video is entitled 'Heavy Metal War.' It contains 3 episodes of the series, including the one where the Constructicons make their debut performance IIRC.

Recently I've watched a fair chunk of anime. Good entertaining stuff, but I find simpler stuff like Ninja Scroll and DBZ more fun then the more complex stuff like Ghost in the Shell.

Finally one last thing I want to bring up. I'm getting the impression that the OAV of Bubblegum Crisis is better than the Bubblegum Crisis Tokyo 2040 series. If so, then how is it better?

Oh and what does OAV stand for? I know it equates to mini-series but what do the letters stand for? :confused:

Penguin - OVA or OAV stand for Original Video Animation (or Original Animated Video), IOW a direct to video release.

As to the good BGC vs. the new one, well, that all depends. I have not watched enough of the new one to give you a breakdown, however, the characters and timeline have been totally changed. It's kinda like what M$ did with MechWarrior, use the names, but not make a product that has any bearing on the original. Perhaps somebody else could give a better comparison. I have a feeling though, that if you watch the original and like that, you'd dislike the new one, and the degree to which you dislike it, would be dependant upon how much you liked the orig. (IOW, rabid fans of the orig, like me, hate the new one, but a newbie might like the new one just fine) Bubblegum Crisis is not a DBZ series however, it is more complex, has _good_ characters, as well as character and plot development. All of which DBZ does not, IMHO.

Col Dom - How's the orig compare to 'New'? I like NDTP a lot, but never saw much of the orig. The 'ultimate deterrent' kind of put me off. lol

Thymerlord - Ah yes, Galaxy Express. Definitely good. Have you seen/do you like My Youth in Arcadia, or Odin : Photon Space Sailor Starlight? Leiji Matsumoto rules! Rumor has it, since Yoshinibou Nishizaki when bankrupt and landed in prison (I have no idea how), Matsumoto bough all of the Yamato/Star Blazers licenses, and will be making a new one, and he said "No hero will die" YES!! :D I can't wait. (Oh yeah Vampire Hunter is quite good also. <G>)

JR - Wow, sounds, um, zany. Seems like it could be quite fun, but the spaceship/rabbit part is just too over the edge corny for me. I also remember seeing some shots, don't know from which, but it was Tenchi, and I remember the graphic quality to be rather lackin (i.e., tiny pointed noses and what not. basically the worst stereotype of Anime imagery enhanced to full 'glory')

DetailedTarget, I watch any Starblazers/Yamato stuff, and anything with Harlock in it , even DNA sights and it's only a cameo. Harlock is the ultimate anime pirate ! And I'm waiting for Matsumoto's next move as well.

Originally posted by Thymerlord
Harlock is the ultimate anime pirate !

Yes indeed he is :D

I was big into anime comics when I was younger (about the time after Robotech and Voltron were pulled from the airwaves and when Street Fighter II was causing a stir in the arcades). I used to read Harlock all the time and became a HUGE fan of Area 88! I have almost every issue from back in the day (missing issues 2 & 3).

Although I never bought any of the issues of it(although I wish I had), I enjoyed Robotech II: the Sentinels.

Odds and ends. I've seen a lot of this stuff, so I'll throw out some comments.
Area 88 - saw the first two episodes a long time ago. It looked good, although I never had a chance to see the remaining episodes. Anyone remember the video game UN Squadron? My guess is that in Japan, that game was entitled Area 88...

Tenchi animation - there are three different Tenchi series, and three different Tenchi movies. Each of them has their own style of animation, and I've heard that Tenchi in Tokyo/ Shin Tenchi Muyo (English and Japanese names respectively), which is the last TV series, and also the only one I haven't seen any of, is the worst looking visually. The third Tenchi movie, Tenchi Forever/ Tenchi Muyo in Love 2, also has a distinct art style. The plot isn't very Tenchish, either, and many fans strongly dislike it. The animation style in the first TV series is similar to that of the OVA, but of lower quality (as is typical with TV series and OVA series).

BGC 2032 vs. BGC 2040 - Who would you rather listen to - a band called Seikira, or a band called The Replicants?
Any Blade Runner fan will know how to answer that one.
:p
Seriously, the original BGC was an OVA that kept getting extended (The series ends with episode 8. 5 new episodes had been approved, but one of the two companies creating the series went bankrupt before the new episodes were made). What that means is that while the overall series does not have a clear cut plot running throughout the episodes, there are elements of a story that crop up.
BGC 2040 has a number of similarities, and the same names on many of the characters, but there are a lot of differences, as well. I haven't seen all of the series (I think the last episode I saw was 14), but here are a few of the non-spoilerish items.

Dr. Stingray is not a sinister figure in BGC 2032. Mackie has lived his entire life with Sylia, and is normal in every way (Sylia may not be, but that question is never answered). There is no butler in the Stingray residence. Sylia runs a lingerie shop, not a clothing store. Boomers don't mutate when they go nuts. Its hinted that the AD Police can deal with normal boomers that go nuts (although we never see any). Combat boomers are still problematic for the regular troops and firebees, though. K-Suits are actually useful in 2032, and a couple of older police K-Suits manage to take down a military boomer in one episode (at the cost of both K-Suits and pilots, though). Leon doesn't hate the Knight Sabers, nor do the AD Police. Leon has his trademark shades and a REALLY big pistol. Daley is gay, and jokes about it with Leon all the time. Mason doesn't have the boomer fetish that he has in 2040, and doesn't overtly plot against Quincy (you never see it on-screen). Boomers are much more intelligent, and can be camoflaged to look like humans.
And finally, in 2040, they emasculated Quincy. 2032 Quincy would have had that guy as an appetizer.

Um...I'm not sure which BGC OVAs you saw, but the 8 that I saw did have a running storyline that dealt with ongoing character development. Also, as I understand it, there were in fact 13 episodes planned, but funding ran short, and that's why we got stiffed of any story arch resolution. (also why such big plot points were developed - i.e. - what's really up with Sylia, what happened to Largo, etc)

Also, Priss was supposed to have died and been replaced by Vision. That's whay "Say Yes" is all about.

As for Leon and the ADP, in ADP Files, they did deal with normal boomers run amok, and humans that went CyberPsychotic as well. He was also the 2nd coolest character in the series, behind Largo of course. :) As for his and the ADPs view of the Knight Sabers, I gathered that they were too new for any real opinion to be formed. They seemed to be doing a service, even if the methods were questionable. And after all, in BGC, the ADP was useless, so any help the got they'd appreciate. heh heh Leon himself certainly didn't hate the Knight Sabers, he had a big time crush on Priss and new the connection as well.

And Boomers could be disguised as humans, and mutate when they went off as well. It happened all the time. 2 good examples are the pair that chased down Slyvie and the ones in the Genom board room that attacked Largo.

Well, that's it for now I guess. I suppose since I'm at work, I should actually go do some. lol

Um...I'm not sure which BGC OVAs you saw, but the 8 that I saw did have a running storyline that dealt with ongoing character development. Also, as I understand it, there were in fact 13 episodes planned, but funding ran short, and that's why we got stiffed of any story arch resolution. (also why such big plot points were developed - i.e. - what's really up with Sylia, what happened to Largo, etc)

BGC 2032 was originally supposed to be stand alone. It was popular enough that a few more episodes were written. Then a few more. And then...
You get the idea.
So the overall plot was something that was added in as they went along.
What actually happened with the funding was this. BGC was being produced by two different companies. One was AIC, and I don't recall the other one. The other company went bankrupt shortly after the decision was made to produce five more episodes (which would have been 9 - 13), and due to various issues (I think copyright was the biggest), production ceased on the series.

Also, Priss was supposed to have died and been replaced by Vision. That's whay "Say Yes" is all about.
"Say Yes"? I'm not sure what you're talking about. The relevant episodes would have been Red Eyes (when Priss has her run-in with Largo) and Double Vision (when Vision makes her appearence - she also has a cameo in episode 8 on the movie screen :p ). Fortunately, Priss's voice actress decided to stick around.

As for Leon and the ADP, in ADP Files, they did deal with normal boomers run amok, and humans that went CyberPsychotic as well. He was also the 2nd coolest character in the series, behind Largo of course. :) As for his and the ADPs view of the Knight Sabers, I gathered that they were too new for any real opinion to be formed. They seemed to be doing a service, even if the methods were questionable. And after all, in BGC, the ADP was useless, so any help the got they'd appreciate. heh heh Leon himself certainly didn't hate the Knight Sabers, he had a big time crush on Priss and new the connection as well.
However, ADP isn't a part of the actual BGC series, and many fans dislike it (and Bubble Gum Crash - although both are still part of the continuity). It also takes place years earlier. Within BGCrisis proper, there are no on-screen incidents with non-combat or non-military boomers (although Leon apparently spends a good part of episode 8 at one such incident off-screen). And the ADP is hardly 'useless' in BGC. As demonstrated in BGC, when the ADP knew what they were up against, they could call in the K-Suits, and which were pretty powerful. If they'd known what they were up against at the start of episode 1, they probably would have called in a K-Suit, and the fight would have been over in short order. The K-Suits are outclassed against military boomers (although a pair of the older models take out the boomer in episode 3), and Leon gets thrashed in a newer model suit in Red Eyes, but the only thing that turned out to be capable of dealing with those ones was Priss's new motorslave. Typically, what you're seeing in BGC, is combat boomers that have been intentionally released by Genome in order to create a distraction or to drive down property values (I don't think there's a single mad boomer in the entire OVA series - unless you count megalomania...). It would be roughly equivalent to the local megacorp releasing a tank with an AI in downtown LA, and then letting the cops try and stop it.

And Boomers could be disguised as humans, and mutate when they went off as well. It happened all the time. 2 good examples are the pair that chased down Slyvie and the ones in the Genom board room that attacked Largo.

I said this...
*sigh*
Or at least the part about being disguised as humans.
BGC 2032 boomers do not mutate. The closest they get is the fusion boomer, although considering what happens with the one fusion incident we see, I'll bet Genome keeps a very tight leash on them.
What I was referring to is that in BGC 2040, boomers do NOT disguise themselves as humans (although they can be constructed to look like them). Also, in BGC 2040, when they go mad, they physically mutate. As an example, in one of the early episodes (3, I think), a waitress boomer gets a licking fetish (a customer ordered it to lick up a coffee spill), and when it snaps, it develops a four foot tongue (as well as other physical deformities).

Back