Gunners (Bang, Bang)

Oggy

Rear Admiral
Just curiosity really, but are turrets on capships manned or automatic?
In WCIII & IV the size of the turrets indicates to me that they have a crew, but on the Midway and Cerberus, they look like they are computer controlled, can anyone shed any light on this?

'Cerberus turret control reports a kill!'

I think they are manned, for the turreteer must have shouted 'I got one!' through the crewpits. (Great kid, don't get cocky!')

But then again a "Cerberus turret control" could suggest maybe one or two control rooms on the ship that coordinate several turrets rather than each being indvidually manned

We've already been through this, the was a gamea while back where you were a gunner on a starship, (but i forget the name) it really bombed out badly,
although there was an arcade game called Starblade here in the UK that was quiet good, you were a gunner on a small gunship, so perhaps if you were a gunner on a venture? Starblade was quiet exciting, I remember burning through 20 pence coins last year playing on it.....<drifts off down memory lane>

That is just sooo much cooler, but it would cost confed more salary money.

Or is it just like Star Trek, salaries don't exist?

I'm going to germany today for a week, any WC fan living near the 'Schwarze Walt'? (Black wood)

Sorry for the off-topic thingy,

TIA

miZ

I think money does exist in the WC universe 'cause I remember in WCIV at the start Blair has to pay "1.2" credits for his Hell's Kitchen
"....None of that Border Worlds trash" does that suggest that the border worlds has its own currency, if so what is it?

oh and of course

Look at this Casey, billions(!) of confed credits @ work!

Now that I remember, why did Dallas have to die? Why not just an unimportant(redshirt) rookie?

Or was the actor too expensive?

TIA

MZI

Originally posted by Oggy
although there was an arcade game called Starblade here in the UK that was quiet good
And everywhere else too, since it was available for 3DO game consoles, with superior visuals, I might add.
burning through 20 pence coins last year playing on it.....<drifts off down memory lane>
That accursed game ripped me off 10 dollars, you can never beat the fecker. Not even when you cheat.

Two modes of currencies, credits and dols, have been seen in WC.

Dallas' entire purpose in life was to die... as part of the plot. It's not like they hired unknown-loser-actor-#7 and then realized he was too expensive mid-way through and killed him off:) The entire part was created so that the character would die so you'd have some emotional connection to the war...

Originally posted by Frosty

That accursed game ripped me off 10 dollars, you can never beat the fecker. Not even when you cheat.

Yeah you can beat it, you destroy a generator on the planet Red Eye, which detonates the planet core, then you have to fight the Fligh Commander ship which is very tough, but i beat him:D

Originally posted by Oggy
Just curiosity really, but are turrets on capships manned or automatic?
In WCIII & IV the size of the turrets indicates to me that they have a crew, but on the Midway and Cerberus, they look like they are computer controlled, can anyone shed any light on this?

I think they're automatic, but the ship engineers don't trust the automatics completely, so they built the turrets so that they *could* be run manually in an emergency -- I think the modern Phalanx CIWS on US Navy ships operates on a similar system.

Respectuflly,

Brian P.

Re: Re: Gunners (Bang, Bang)

Originally posted by pendell

I think they're automatic, but the ship engineers don't trust the automatics completely, so they built the turrets so that they *could* be run manually in an emergency -- I think the modern Phalanx CIWS on US Navy ships operates on a similar system.

Respectuflly,

Brian P.

All the capship turrets I can think of in Wing Commander have been manned and not automated. There are turret gunners specifically mentioned regarding capships in at least End Run and Action Stations.

TC

I thought Eisen says something about how half the St. Helens' turrets have buggy software or somthing.

That doesn't preclude the tuurets being manned though. Given the speed and agility of modern fighters, the turrets would almost have to have software assisting the gunner, sort of like the ITTS in a fighter.

Best, Raptor

Back