Gunners (Bang, Bang)

when three are all joined up I think that they can since they form a plasma cannon, but I've never seen them attack a Capship, they always seem to go for fighters...anyway, if you are quick you can generally pick one or two off while they are formating to join up.

Even when they are alone they can damage capship components with their Light Plasma cannons. As can any other ship mounting these weapon, thus the Manta and the Devil Ray (in WCP) can also. But it takes a long time to destroy a bridge/engine etc.. with just two Lt. Plasma cannons and I never saw them doing it while alone. But clustered Stingrays attacking cap ships in SOPS is something I remember very clearly (that damned mission with the Kyoto Rose e.g.).

i thought the bugs attacked with torpedoes, cause remember chasing them down trying to shoot them down to save the Kyoto Rose, used to miss time it sometimes though,
<rams torpedoe, ultimate sacrifice> "hail mary full of grace....zzzzxxct"
"He gave his life to save of 1000 of his fellow crewmen(Blah, blah, skip to the end)"

There are Red Mantas attacking the transports with torpedoes but there are clustered Stingrays attacking the transports with their Bug Plasma cannon too.

BTW: What a nice and dramatic death. :)

AFAIK, only red Mantas and Barracudas (in SO) fire torpedoes, even though the Devil Ray (and possibly others) mount torpedoes as well. At least, I think the Devil Ray has a torp, I can't remember, haven't played WCP/SO for several months - I'm only up to Privateer. :)

But it's true that any fighter with light plasma weapons can also damage capship components - I think they do this in the second H'hrass Relay Station mission.

Yes, they do. I forgot.

And they're not afraid to use it, either. Actually, I think the three Skates are connected to the torpedo itself, and they simply 'fire' it by braking away from it. I think it's clear that, unlike the Stingray, Skates cannot reconnect. (Which makes perfect FF fodder! :))

The only exception being missions where you're protecting SWACS craft. Blow up the clusters, and all of a sudden you've got half a dozen of those things blasting the SWACS.

Best, Raptor

Exception being what, they reconnect or they're FF fodder?

I think you're thinking of the Ray clusters - those Remoras can be a problem for the SWACS, especially when it's a group effort.

remoras are easy to toast, you can just ram them, they are so weak and unshielded that you take no damage and they cook off

Originally posted by Wedge009
(...) At least, I think the Devil Ray has a torp, I can't remember, haven't played WCP/SO for several months - I'm only up to Privateer. :)

But it's true that any fighter with light plasma weapons can also damage capship components - I think they do this in the second H'hrass Relay Station mission.

And I think Devil Rays don't mount torpedoes, though it has been a while too for me since I played SOPS. :)

Actually, I found it incredibly hard to fail the Relay station mission (not by dying but by failure to protect the station). The Skate's torpedo always missed and I hid myself under the antennas so that the Mantas had to damage the components with their Lt. Plasma when firing at me. I don't know how but eventually the bugs achieved to destroy the station and I could see that damned cutscene (I was surprised to see that a Stingraycluster takes the station down, but it looked good.)

The bugs would be more terrifying if their standard craft was the Devil Ray, less of them maybe, but tougher opponents, imagine facing a swarm of them:eek: I could easily imagine that wiping whole colonies out!!

Then again I think I'd rather face less opponents that were tougher rather than hordes of weak opponents...I used to love fighting the Ace bugs in the Devil Rays, both auto sliding round each other, trading missiles, head on games of chicken while blasting at each other etc etc. it was wicked:D

Originally posted by Mekt-Hakkikt
Actually, I found it incredibly hard to fail the Relay station mission (not by dying but by failure to protect the station).
Yeah, it was a pain - and just to see that cutscene as well. :) The second mission is a bit easier to fail, though.

Maybe a bit easier, yes but the MIdway arrives too soon and once those Panthers are out it's usually over for the Nephilim.

Err, sometimes when I'm in a cheating mood, the Midway never arrives early enough! If I blow up all the bugs, the Midway never comes! I've even had it so that the Panthers are helping out, but the Midway still doesn't bother coming!

Fortunately, the Devil Ray ususally takes up a fair bit of time when I play normally.

Originally posted by Raptor
The Skate-T clusters (not the Skate-B) also mount torpedoes as well, IIRC.

If I recall correctly the following craft mount torpedoes in WCP/SO

Normal and Red Mantas
Skate-T's
Barracudas

The Manta's were the Nephilem equivalent of a bomber with the normal manta only mounting light torps and the red's mounting both heavy and light.

Originally posted by Wedge009
Actually, I think the three Skates are connected to the torpedo itself, and they simply 'fire' it by braking away from it. I think it's clear that, unlike the Stingray, Skates cannot reconnect. (Which makes perfect FF fodder! )

I don't think that the Skate-Ts were connected to a torp as their design would've differed from the M/B classes, also if it was a torp they clustered round it would only be a 1-shot wonder, however i've seen many a Skate-T launch multiple torps.

I am pretty sure too that only the Red Mantas (the bomber and WW variant)carry a single torpedo and a Skate T-cluster only carries one torpedo. According to the WCP guide, the Skate-T cluster produces the torpedo when connected and seperate as soon as the torpedo is fired. And the Nephilim don't have light and heavy torpedoes, only one kind the "Poseidon" which has a quite heavy payload (must have since their bombers only carry one).

Back