Finally watched the movie ...

Too late. I'm done playing D2 for now, and because of Penguin this thread will go on untill the bandwitch of the CIC runs out.
smile.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Why Earthworm, do you have a split personality? You're referring to yourself in third person. Maybe we should have a fight between Luke Skywalker and Christopher Blair.
smile.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Just a quick question: Why is it hard for some people to believe in (or not believe in) shielding for ten seconds (ONLY shielding, it doesn't power your guns more, or better, or anything), when Mario (yes, THE Mario) can touch a magical star which makes HIM invincible for about ten seconds (and allows him to kill anything he touches)?

Only HE uses them (unless you're playing two-player mode, in which Luigi uses them too), and his enemy does not. It makes no sense, people. Accept that it IS, and be done with it.

------------------
Maestro: "Lighten up Spyder! We're not gonna die! We're gonna WIN!!"

Zero: "Hey, Maestro... Uhh... If you DIE, can we pick through your stuff before we head back to Sol?"

Maestro: "You can burn in Hell."

The UK version of the Privateer 2 manual explains how the 10 second invulnerability thing works rather logically, actually.

Can you post their reasoning, LOAF?

------------------
Maestro: "Lighten up Spyder! We're not gonna die! We're gonna WIN!!"

Zero: "Hey, Maestro... Uhh... If you DIE, can we pick through your stuff before we head back to Sol?"

Maestro: "You can burn in Hell."

Because Mario is a game for little children. WC on the other hand is sold and a SIMULATION and as such should at least have a modicum of realism.

------------------
There is no God but myself. No destiny but what I deem for me. I walk my path and no others, for I am free.

http://www.ntr.net/~vondoom

Mario is not just a game for "little children." But for the purposes of this argument, it really is just an arcade game, with little to do with WC.

Calling Wing-Commander a simulation is a misnomer. Though the genre is now known as "Space Simulations" we all know that they are nothing of the sort. If anything they are "Sci-Fi Space Combat Simulations of the Currently Physically Impossible"

TC

------------------
CAG of the Blacklance HQ
"Canadian and proud of it"-TC
You are in no way entitled to any WC games, if you don't have them its your own damn fault.

Strangely enough, I find myself agreeing with LOAF once again. To put it simply, generating impervious shields takes a hell of a lot of energy. To maintain them infinitely, you'd need infinite power.

I'm saying generating an impervious shield on a small fighter is silly, A large base is one thing but a small fighter should not be able to. I don't like anything that makes me invincible, even if only for 10 seconds, ruins the entire mood of the game for me

------------------
There is no God but myself. No destiny but what I deem for me. I walk my path and no others, for I am free.

TheFraix said:
Hey... by the way, our current rate of scientific technology, or at least in my lamest speculation, there is actually much scientific base for a shield or force field technology.

Anybody want to explain that?

I would have to say speculation. I certainly don't see how you can project "sheets" of energy in front or around another object.

Hey... by the way, our current rate of scientific technology, or at least in my lamest speculation, there is actually much scientific base for a shield or force field technology.

Anybody want to explain that?

It's not "sheets" of energy, but more like fields of energy. There's nothing really stoping us from putting a electromagnetic field around ourselves which would reflect anything withthe opposite polartiy or absorb just about anything else. Except, aquiring the power to make such field may get in the way though.

------------------
Meson's Starport!
Wing Commander Academy DHS Version now available
Wing Commander is more than just a game. It is a lifestyle.

[This message has been edited by Meson (edited October 30, 2000).]

The problem is that a EM field would have to be insanely powerful to bend tightly focused energy away from the ship or diffuse it to an extent that it became harmless. An EM field would not absorb energy like what we see in ST or other things. Mass driver projectiles could be deflected easier though since they have to have a magnetic field to propel them anyway. Actually a highly mirrored surface would do best against lasers. Particle weapons would not be very effective against a shield though. Tachyon weapons I can't even begin to understand as weapons so I'll skip them. Plasma would be less effective against shields. Neutron guns should go right through shields and most armor easily, taking out the pilot (radiation) without doing serious damage to the ship. Shields in reality would create the nessacity for weapons sorta like what the FS series has. Some are made to take out shields, some to take out armor.

------------------

Back