Finally watched the movie ...

Actually CR said in an interview that the movie was loosely based on WC1. And not argueing here at all, Earthworm, what events are you talking about? None come to my mind but I've probably forgotten several things. And I never said the WCM was bad. It is an average sci-fi movie for me overall (the WC nut in me though still can't help watching it whenever I notice it on TV, guilty pleasure I guess) but well above average if you acknowledge its tiny budget.

------------------
There is no God but myself. No destiny but what I deem for me. I walk my path and no others, for I am free.

http://www.ntr.net/~vondoom

One of the things I mean is that Blair always gets sent on solo missions into other systems. If Blair is a Pilgrim, he would be the perfect choice to send on a mission like that.

The people in P2, how did they get to Tri Systems if they came from Earth? Well, Ivar Chu McDaniel and his followers who disapeared while on their way to Sirius and were never seen again, could have been transported there somehow, and since they were already different than non-pilgrims, that could explain why they behave so difrently on many ocasions.

It's sounds more possible to me than some alien race kidnaping humans and puting them on another planet.
smile.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, but then we get into the old arguement of how they could have been there so long and convince people that they were there for 6000 years? Unless you want to pull a time travel thing. The reason you get sent solo in the games is because you are one of the best. You can't jump without the jump engine and there are probably other people who are doing the exact same thing as you. You don't get to see them but you aren't the only one doing missions. In a briefing room of 20-30 pilots your's in the only mission you usually hear about but most everyone else there are doing the same things as you.

------------------
There is no God but myself. No destiny but what I deem for me. I walk my path and no others, for I am free.

One of the things I mean is that Blair always gets sent on solo missions into other systems. If Blair is a Pilgrim, he would be the perfect choice to send on a mission like that.
Wha? Solo missions?

The people in P2, how did they get to Tri Systems if they came from Earth? Well, Ivar Chu McDaniel and his followers who disapeared while on their way to Sirius and were never seen again, could have been transported there somehow, and since they were already different than non-pilgrims, that could explain why they behave so difrently on many ocasions.
NOOOOoooooooo... not again...

Well, Q. Do you have a better theory about the P2 people? Or do you still don't consider P2 a part of the WCU?
smile.gif

I'm willing to consider P2 a part of the WCU, but... well, I think even two similar species developing at the same time in two separate locations is a more likely explanation.

What are the odds of the same race, or at least two very similar ones, developing on two different planets so far appart?

Plus, I didn't play P2 in a long time, but isn't the life, at least for humans, there supposed to have appeared 2000 years ago? If so, than isn't that a pretty short time for some Neanderthals to became a space faring race?
smile.gif

What are the odds of the same race, or at least two very similar ones, developing on two different planets so far appart?
Extremely low... and that's exactly my point
smile.gif
. This is still more likely than your theory.

Plus, I didn't play P2 in a long time, but isn't the life, at least for humans, there supposed to have appeared 2000 years ago? If so, than isn't that a pretty short time for some Neanderthals to became a space faring race?
Well, I can't remember what they said in P2 (thankfully, my copy is in Poland, about as far away from me as possible
smile.gif
), but according to the CIC timeline, you're correct (except that the timeline uses the term "civilisation" rather than "life" - huge difference). However, that still doesn't show that your theory could possibly succeed. Also, I don't think McDaniel was taking with him the several hundred million colonists which would be needed to populate - rather, overpopulate - the three systems in such a short timeframe.

About the movie not fitting the game:
Story elements that work in games and comics and books etc ... often do not work well in movies. I think the basic plots and story should be followed but that should be the only rule. Sometimes adding things works, sometimes taking things away works and sometimes you should just leave it alone.

For example, X-Men. Damn good movie and definitely worth the wait. It still had the same characters and the basic plot, but the actual script wasn't taken out of an issue of X-Men and it worked.

Another example is The Amazing Mr. Rippley. My friend says the book is pretty good. She's an intelligent person so I'll take her word for it. But you watch the movie and you think: "Exactly how stupid are the Italian police force?" The story is basically about a guy who can imitate others so well that he can pass off as them. Not a bad premise but you have to suspend your imagination a good deal. In the movie he ends up killing a guy and trying to impersonate him so nobody notices he's missing. He also leaves a truck load of clues behind, so many he may as well have written a confession and signed it. Yet the police never figure it's him. They barely even suspect it's him. It's a pretty crap movie but I'm sure the book(s) (it's a whole series I hear) is great. I'm sure I'm going to get flak about not reading the books and making a judgment but the story line seems to me as something I'd find more convincing as a piece of prose instead of a movie.

------------------
Mess with the best, die like the rest.

Do you mean the Talented Mr. Ripley? I've never seen it, but my sister has (we have the book at home, too, but I don't think anyone has read it) and she says it's boring as hell. Not really relevant, but I just felt like sharing.

Some adaptations of books or whatever are just inexcusable. Take the Lost World. The book and the movie are nothing alike. Same thing with Starship Troopers. And Dune left out a butt-load of important points from the book.

Anyway...

Quarto, what exactly don't you like about Privateer 2? The only reason I've seen you give is that you don't like, "Ah am the Greem Reepah!" Is there a reason for your dislike of the game, or is this just another irrational hate like your thing against Bear?
smile.gif

------------------
If I'm locked on, there's no such thing as evasive action!

IIRC, he doesn't see any conection to the WC universe, as well as that it doesn't deserve to have the name Privateer since it's no where near as good as the first one.

I think it's better than the original Priv though.
smile.gif

IIRC, he doesn't see any conection to the WC universe, as well as that it doesn't deserve to have the name Privateer since it's no where near as good as the first one.
You got the second part right, but I'll leave the first part alone
wink2.gif

Dralthi5, I hate just about everything about it. ALL the taunts are hopeless. There's too many pirates around, especially since you can't just jump past them - you have to get 3000 away from them, which is a royal pain since you've got just about five seconds worth of AB fuel. The control system sucks. The game, as a whole, feels like an arcade game rather than a WC game. You can't even AB slide. And, while the plot is reasonably good, the universe background makes it feel like a parody... Vrootle Pigfididrle (or however you spell it)? A ship AI so advanced that it won't even take off if it predicts boredom will take place during the voyage? Guh. P2 is a parody of P1, not a sequel.
Oh yes, and the booth system. The booth system is the most horrible idea known to mankind, especially since it's so damn slow (because I have to use Turbo - but the fact that I have to use Turbo is their fault). I'd rather face Priv 1's identical salespeople any day of the week
smile.gif

Dralthi5 said:
Do you mean the Talented Mr. Ripley?

Well ain't my face red ... is it boring because it's not your sisters kinda book, or because it really is a piece of crap?

Quarto's right about PII sucking in the ways he mentioned. But I don't hate the game for it and watching the story unfold is worth the crap game.

[This message has been edited by steampunk (edited October 14, 2000).]

No he's not.
smile.gif
The booth system is great, and definetly not to slow. Oh, and they made you use Turbo? Well then, I hate Privateer because they made me use DOS to play it.

Some of the jokes in the news buletins are rather cheesy, but some can be prety good, and provide nice comical side to the game. The game by istelf is light years ahead of P1 IMO.

[This message has been edited by Earthworm (edited October 14, 2000).]

I enjoy Privateer 2. More so than P1, but I think's that's just because I have a bad copy of P1. Hell, pretty much all my WC games are bad copies.
frown.gif

------------------
If I'm locked on, there's no such thing as evasive action!

Well lets make some comparisons Gameplay wise of the two.

Trading: Here they are about even. While in P2 there are tons more items to trade, the nav system of P2 is horrible. Add in the fact that if you run into pirates you practically have to fight them because it takes forever to get away from them pretty much destroys any fun. Add in the fact that you cannot transport cargo in any way and can only deal with transports is a serious negative.

Combat: Here P1 is the clear winner. AI and combat is actually fun while in P2 once you get on someone's six, they are dead. Not a single bit of strategy is required to make it through any mission. P1 on the other hand lets you take it slow in the Troy sector before giving you much more challenging missions later on. The exploration missions with the Kilrathi give you a challege that that never happens in P2.

Story: Pretty simple here, P2 has a more developed storyline and much more interesting characters and locations.

Ship Choices: Pretty much even. Before you scream about how P2 has tons more ships than P1, let me say this. Most of P2's ships all feel the same. Other than what weapons I could carry there didn't seem to be much difference in the feel of the craft. On the other hand, P1 has only 4 ships. But every single one flies and handles and even looks very very different. What ship you choose can seriously affect your style of play.

Taking these all in consideration, P1 wins or ties in just about every situation except story. The core gameplay (Combat is the biggest focus for me in the games- besides building up my ship and getting rich) is handled much better in P1. P2 isn't a horrible game, but it will never be the instant classic that is Privateer

------------------

Vondoom said:
While in P2 there are tons more items to trade, the nav system of P2 is horrible.
Wha? Why, is basicly the same except you can't fly manualy between navpoints.
Add in the fact that if you run into pirates you practically have to fight them because it takes forever to get away from them pretty much destroys any fun.
There are plenty of mission where you barely ever run into pirates. There are even several short trade routes that will have none. But if constant fights are a problem and you're rich, you could just use the nuk'ems.

Add in the fact that you cannot transport cargo in any way and can only deal with transports is a serious negative.
I definetly don't think it's a negative. Sure, the option to transport stuff yourself should be there, but Priv could have used the ability to hire transpors too. Transports in P2 can transport much more cargo, while being relativly cheap to hire, and the heavier ones can even make good wingman.

Here P1 is the clear winner. AI and combat is actually fun while in P2 once you get on someone's six, they are dead.
What the hell. AI in both games is terribly bad.
Not a single bit of strategy is required to make it through any mission. P1 on the other hand lets you take it slow in the Troy sector before giving you much more challenging missions later on.
Neither do you need strategy in Priv. Both games are very similar in this way.

The exploration missions with the Kilrathi give you a challege that that never happens in P2.
No they didn't.
smile.gif
If the Kilrathi are friendly towards you those missions were not only easy, but boring since you had to fly through the same systems over and over.

Ship Choices: Pretty much even. Before you scream about how P2 has tons more ships than P1, let me say this. Most of P2's ships all feel the same. Other than what weapons I could carry there didn't seem to be much difference in the feel of the craft.
I'd have to disagree. Out of the 18 ships, most are good, and with prety different handling of the ship. Also, I like the fact that you don't need the most expensive ship in the game to finish the game. Meanwhile, trying to finish Priv in anything short of the Centuriong can be very frustraiting.

On the other hand, P1 has only 4 ships. But every single one flies and handles
I don't know, the Orion feels prety similar to the Tarsus. Thogh the Centurion and Galaxy are definetly different.
and even looks very very different.
Don't tell my that the P2 ships don't look different.

What ship you choose can seriously affect your style of play.
Just like in P2.
smile.gif

The core gameplay (Combat is the biggest focus for me in the games- besides building up my ship and getting rich) is handled much better in P1. P2 isn't a horrible game, but it will never be the instant classic that is Privateer
For me story is equally important to gameplay, and in the story department Priv is obviously the looser. Combat is similar, but IMO better than Priv. One of the things that makes it better are the more varied missions from the computer (even though the random mission generator sucks), or the presence of huge capships which Priv lacks.

[This message has been edited by Earthworm (edited October 14, 2000).]

I really liked Privateer 2, I know the british actors put many people off but after playing P1 I can honestly say the AI in P2 is better.
Can someone tell me why the tri system has so many jumps though?
The ships were very varied and the variety in missions compared to those in Priv1 was a real plus.
Priv1 does have more of a WC feel to it though and there is nothing I like more than WC
smile.gif
Honestly though they are both great games in their own rights, just very different.

Pedro said:
I really liked Privateer 2, I know the british actors put many people off
Didn't really bother me, though it was almost impossible to understand them at times. Subtitles would have been very nice.

And Lev Arris is a much better main character than Casey IMO.
smile.gif

He was nice and mysterious however it wasn't the accents that made the people difficult to understand it was how loud the ambient sounds were compared to the voices
frown.gif

Back