Finally watched the movie ...

Yes, but I think that at least some of the time, when you meet someone with a heavy accent, it really didn't help the situations. Most of the time I can understand what's going on, when there's isn't anyone with a heavy accent (like Lev, Xavier Shondi, or Melisa Banks).

Well I'm british so I wouldn't know, I have noticed in all the american TV we get pumped to us that the actors tend to work at hiding their accent whereas we see it as another way of making a character stand out. However I do know many other countries complain about our accents
smile.gif

But no one has answered my question about the jumps yet!

Last edited by a moderator:
Earthworm: to reply to some of your points. The inablility to skip navpoints and having to travel through everyone with a good chance of having to deal with pirates can be very very tedious. One trip might take 2 minutes and another through the same route can take 15 is you are unlucky. Every nav point has a certain chance of running into pirates so there are very few trips I ever ran into in which there were no pirates. My comment on the transports I need to rectify. I agree that having both options would be best. However, constantly babysitting transports is boring and not very Privateerish. Heck, you are more of a body guard than anything else. Where are the secret compartments on ship to hide illegal cargo? If I have to have one or the other I would want the cargo on my ship. They can be good wingman though. As for the combat, here is every fight in P2. Get on six, fire guns till dead, mix and repeat. Missles are not nearly as effective against you so unless you stand still you can easily take out any enemy. Your comment on the Kilrathi being your friends is silly. Sorry, but you are one of the very few who must have enjoyed killing Confed and Militia ships to get on their good side. Maybe afraid of the challege of the missions with the Kilrathi as your enemy
smile.gif
Just teasing you there, never played a single game of P1 with Kilrathi as my friends. Again on the ships in P2, they all flew very simular to me. On the looks I was refering to the cockpit not the design (liked the look of most of P2's ships actually). Every P1 ship you flew looked and felt different. The Orion flew roughly the same as the Taursus but had a much slower turning and larger profile. I could outfight more ships in the Tarsus than I could in a fully loaded Orion. Never liked that ship at all. IF you think combat is better in P2, you must really enjoy the complex combat of Prophecy also. Again I had to work hard to survive some missions in P1, but I never died once in P2. There just wasn't a drop of challenge in it combat wise. I do agree that it did have a larger variety of missions but that has more to do with when it was released than any real improvement. They could simply add more missions more easily. P2 just failed with the combat part and the tedious traveling and lack of being able to escape combat with ease. I mean nothing was worse than trying to get somewhere fast and haveing ships come in attacking merchants who are far off from you and the only way to head on to the next waypoint is to kill them all or fly for minutes away from them, either way being a waste of time. And I agree the story is better and believe me, no one loves great stories better than me (SS2, PS:T, Fallout, Full Throttle, etc.) but gameplay is equally important and that is where P2 falls flat. It's a good game, but it's no Privateer.

------------------
There is no God but myself. No destiny but what I deem for me. I walk my path and no others, for I am free.

http://www.ntr.net/~vondoom

Do you know how to use the ENTER key?!?
PARAGRAPHS MAN PARAGRAPHS
Firstly the AI in prophecy wasn't very good but I seriously didn't notice prophecys or P2s until it was pointed out to me (having too much fun)

Vondoom said:
As for the combat, here is every fight in P2. Get on six, fire guns till dead, mix and repeat.
Strange, that's what I do in Priv. Though I'll admit it is a little more chalenging in Priv... because I have to use a keyboard, and I hate that.
smile.gif

Missles are not nearly as effective against you so unless you stand still you can easily take out any enemy.
Missiles are ineffective in Priv too...

Your comment on the Kilrathi being your friends is silly. Sorry, but you are one of the very few who must have enjoyed killing Confed and Militia ships to get on their good side.
That's one way to do it. Or you could send friendly messages to the Kilrathi before they're in range.
smile.gif

On the looks I was refering to the cockpit not the design (liked the look of most of P2's ships actually).
Oh, you're talking about the HUD? Well, yes true, they do look the same in P2. E

IF you think combat is better in P2, you must really enjoy the complex combat of Prophecy also.
Yes, I enjoy the Prophecy combat a lot. Asside from the AI, and slighlty simplified mission objectives, the combat is much improved over previous games. Taking out capships is especially cool because of the shields.

Again I had to work hard to survive some missions in P1, but I never died once in P2.
I have. There was one missin, in which the moment you jumped into a certain navpoint, there would be like 10 medium/heavy fighters going after you. I could never survive that mission untill I got those shields that make you invurlbale for 10 seconds, and even then it was tough.

I mean nothing was worse than trying to get somewhere fast and haveing ships come in attacking merchants who are far off from you and the only way to head on to the next waypoint is to kill them all or fly for minutes away from them, either way being a waste of time.
Well, you should pause the game when you get to the new navpoint, and wait a few seconds. Your jump drive will recharge while the game is paused, and you'll be able to imedietly jump out. So if there aren't any pirates around, they won't have time to jump in.

This will prob be my last post on this subject since it is mainly a diff of opinion and nothing really that important. Missles are highly effective in Privateer. With a loadout of 20 missles you are virtually guarenteed to take out 20 retro ships. Fire a pair of them and most ships are taken out. Great for the start of combat before you begin to mix it up. The two missles will take out their front shields and armor and they are gone. Of course this is less effective against Kilrathi and tougher enemies. And sorry, played too much WC to buddy with them while they are slaughtering millions of humans. A cat comes at me, he's toast. And regarding the HUD, i really do not like huds that look the same for every ship in any game, unfort most game designers seem to be heading in that direction to cut costs. Taking out capships in Prophecy is slightly more challenging than shooting the proverbial ducks in a barrel, Give me X-Wing or FS2's or even WC3/4's any day. Never used the invincable shield tech nor nukems once in the game, hated them. Just more dumbing down of an already dumbed down system. And I shouldn't have to resort to silly things like that, which remind me I'm playing a game and seperates me from the action, tedious as it is.

------------------
There is no God but myself. No destiny but what I deem for me. I walk my path and no others, for I am free.

Vondoom said:
With a loadout of 20 missles you are virtually guarenteed to take out 20 retro ships. Fire a pair of them and most ships are taken out.
I don't know which game you've been playing, but one missile is not enough to take out a Talon. I'd usually have to fire at least two to destroy a fighter. I'm talking about the IR, and FF missiles that are the most effective in the game.

And sorry, played too much WC to buddy with them while they are slaughtering millions of humans.
I wonder if you every happen to shot down Hobbes in WC2 or WC3.
smile.gif

i really do not like huds that look the same for every ship in any game, unfort most game designers seem to be heading in that direction to cut costs.
But that would seem to be the more realistic aproach. HUD's would be made similar, if not exactly the same, so a pilot could jump from one ship to another without worrying about adjusting to a new HUD.

Taking out capships in Prophecy is slightly more challenging than shooting the proverbial ducks in a barrel, Give me X-Wing or FS2's or even WC3/4's any day.
It's much harder to take out a capship in Prophecy than WC3/WC4.
smile.gif
Anyhow, I wasn't talking about challenge though, but about fun. You have to target the components individualy, and you have to destroy them with torps or Plasma. WC2 comes in second, because of the shields, but it doesn't have any components you can target.

Never used the invincable shield tech nor nukems once in the game, hated them. Just more dumbing down of an already dumbed down system. And I shouldn't have to resort to silly things like that, which remind me I'm playing a game and seperates me from the action, tedious as it is.
How is using a shield that makes you invincable for 10 seconds only dumbing down? I could agree that the nukems are a overpowered, not to mention expensive. But the shields are very effective.

Pedro said:
He was nice and mysterious however it wasn't the accents that made the people difficult to understand it was how loud the ambient sounds were compared to the voices
frown.gif

Well, as far as I can tell they just used a different system of navigation. Instead of having to go through way points like in other WC games, they replaced every thing with jumps points. Effectively the same as nav points except you couldn't fly from one jump point to another which was rather stupid. P1 system was a lot better.

I grew up with friends from a million and one different countries so I'm used to almost every accent you can think of. I don't think I noticed the ambient noise much either though. I'm sure there are a few places where it probably annoyed me too but for the most part it wasn't too loud.

Oops, I meant to say 10 Retros. Sorry bout that. As for Hobbes, he was on our side. The Kilrathi in Priv are not. If that same huds are realistic then why is every cockpit in every fighter in the world different. They may be similar but not exactly the same. I enjoyed the different cockpits because it really made it feel like you were flying different fighters. The Componet targeting in Prophecy is no harder than anything else because your targets are all easy to nail. Component targeting should be much harder and take more damage if you take a realistic approach (and from your posts you seem to favor realism - and you cant say the tech isn't there because stuff like that has been there since the first X-wing game). Not argueing that they are not effective - but its like powerups for an action game, it makes no sense. Ok everyone, we can make shields that are indestructable, but only for 10 seconds. Because of some strange reason we can't go beyond that. I'd expect Nukems and Invinc Shields in a playstation game, not WC.

------------------

Vondoom said:
As for Hobbes, he was on our side. The Kilrathi in Priv are not.
You DON'T have a side in Priv. Therefore, Kilrathi can be your friends or enemies. You're not a Confed pilot anymore.

If that same huds are realistic then why is every cockpit in every fighter in the world different.
A cockpit and HUD are two different things. A HUD is designed to make it easier to fly the fighter than you would without it. Cockpits are different, but HUD's on the US planes are most likelly very similar or the same.
They may be similar but not exactly the same. I enjoyed the different cockpits because it really made it feel like you were flying different fighters.
Just because the image the computer gives you is the same doesn't mean that you shouldn't notice the difference between ships.

The Componet targeting in Prophecy is no harder than anything else because your targets are all easy to nail.
I'm not saying it's harder, I'm saying it's more fun, at least for me. However, capships in Prophecy are more difficult than WC3 or WC4. Try to take out a Kilrathi destroyer in WC3, and than the bug destroyer. I can tell you right now which one will die faster.

Not argueing that they are not effective - but its like powerups for an action game, it makes no sense. Ok everyone, we can make shields that are indestructable, but only for 10 seconds. Because of some strange reason we can't go beyond that.[/QUOTE]How about, they use so much energy that your fighter would suffer a power surge if used for longer?

I'd expect Nukems and Invinc Shields in a playstation game, not WC.
There's nothing arcade/power-up like about shields that make you invincibale for few seconds...

I really liked Privateer 2, I know the british actors put many people off but after playing P1 I can honestly say the AI in P2 is better.
Actually, that was one of the few things that I liked about it
smile.gif

Oh, and they made you use Turbo? Well then, I hate Privateer because they made me use DOS to play it.
Don't be ridiculous. They failed to make sure that the game would work at the right speed. That's not the same as not converting it to every new OS... I wouldn't mind at all if my copy of P2 was DOS-only (I had the Win95 version), if only the frame limiting worked the way it was supposed to... the way it does in Priv 1.

Quarto said:
Don't be ridiculous. They failed to make sure that the game would work at the right speed.
You know that I wasn't serious don't you?
smile.gif
Second, what machine do you have? It runs perfectly well on my, which is better than the machines it was designed for. WC1, WC2 those won't run too well on some 500 Mhz processors with hundreds of RAM, and neither will P2.

What Quarto is speaking about is that they should have put a frame limiter into the game. There is no reason not to do this other than laziness. Tons of games from as early as '88 onwards have them. It is simply a good idea to put such things in a game so that its shelf life is longer. The HUD thing I mildly agree with but my point is that Priv ships have personality while P2 ships are more lacking in that area. And PLEASE Earthworm tell me you are joking when you say there is nothing arcade like about Shields that make you temporarily invincible, because if you are I'll lose respect for you and I don't want to do that.
smile.gif
I just disagree with you but think about how many console games have powerup that make you temp. Invincible and you don't think that is silly in a WC game? As for Capships kills, I'll leave it at that ALL Capships are far, far too easy in all WC games. So much for my hopeful last post hunh
smile.gif

------------------

Vondoom said:
And PLEASE Earthworm tell me you are joking when you say there is nothing arcade like about Shields that make you temporarily invincible, because if you are I'll lose respect for you and I don't want to do that.
smile.gif
No, I really am serious. For all we know it might be a normal shield generator that puts out so much defense that no known weapon could get throgh it, but because of the power needs it may be unstable or whatever. It doesn't neccessarly make you invinible from everything.

I just disagree with you but think about how many console games have powerup that make you temp. Invincible and you don't think that is silly in a WC game?
It's not like it makes you invincible for a long time or anything so it doesn't help you much like it would in some Playstation arcade game, and like I said it's probably not something that would protect you from a weapon twenty times stronger than the guns we usually see.

As for Capships kills, I'll leave it at that ALL Capships are far, far too easy in all WC games. So much for my hopeful last post hunh
smile.gif
Yes, finally I can agree with you.
smile.gif

I'm sorry, I just can't take seriously any invincibility shield period. 10 seconds is a massive amount of time in a close in dogfight and when you are the only ship that seems to use this "Technology" is silly. The only reason it is there is a power-up for supposedly tough battles. It is extremely arcadish to the max. What is the difference between it and a powerup in a console game that makes you impervious for 10 seconds. None and they should not be in a game like P2.

------------------

Well then, one might consider the cloak in WC4 a powerup. When you're in the Dragon you can make yourself invisible, which can be almost as good as indestrucible. Even when you meat other Dragons in battle, they don't use the cloak effectively.

The Mace from WC2. You don't see Confeds or Kilrathi use it, yet it can destroy a capship or a group of fighters all by itself, without the need for a lock.

I understand why you could feel they way you do about this subject, being indestructible is something that many arcade games feature, but there's so many restrictions that apply to that shield that will prevent it from becoming just one more powere up, just like there are reasons that prevent the things I mentioned above from being power ups.

Ok, If you see a ship cloak you can usually take them out because they do not manuever enough. You are still completely vunerable to attacks. Trust me, I have taken out many a cloaked fighter and in WC4 other Dragons could somewhat see you. The Mace can kill you just as easily as your enemy if you are not careful. It has its limitations. There is no limitation to being completely indestructable for 10 seconds. There is no real restriction except its time limit. I believe it is nothing more than a power up and you disagree. I'll stop posting if you will to Earthworm. We'll agree to disagree
smile.gif

------------------

OK, my last post to this thread unless a major topic drift ocurs, one last coment.

***There is no real restriction except its time limit.***

No, there aren't. But how many dogfights will last ten seconds? Even with P2's poor AI it'll usually take more than ten seconds to destroy one fighter. If you don't manage to even scratch it's armor in that time, you'll be back where you started.

Vondoom: If you've read any of that giant 400+ what happened to the Nephilem thread lately you'd know that once an argument (well debate really
wink2.gif
) starts with Earthworm it's somewhat difficult to stop
smile.gif

For GOD's sake Penguin be quiet. We mustn't wake him.
smile.gif
j/k Earthworm
smile.gif

------------------

Back