Finally watched the movie ...

steampunk

Spaceman
Yup, rented the WC movie on tape. However I had to return it and I'm curious what the callsigns for the other pilots were. Any others from the games besides the obvious few?

------------------
Mess with the best, die like the rest.

Well, obviously there's Maniac, Angel, Paladin, Knight and Hunter. Forbes' callsing is Sassy, Polanskis is Bishop, and that's basicly it for the pilots that we see. There are some other pilots seen a few times, but we never hear their names. There are however much more pilots in the WC movie novel, including Spirit (though she doesn't play a major role).

BTW, what'd you think of the movie?

[This message has been edited by Earthworm (edited October 09, 2000).]

There's much more in the novel? Who, may I ask? I can only remember Spirit.

------------------
If I'm locked on, there's no such thing as evasive action!

There's much, much more pilots in the novel, but not from the games.

Oh, and the infamous Lt. Dibbles from Claw Marks is mentioned when Forbes is flying the patrol with Maniac.

Hmm... perhaps I'll re-read the novel again after I get done with The Red Badge of Courage.

------------------

The only other pilot I can remember from the novel is Polanski, and he was in the movie (though they never metntoned his name).

Earthworm: I watched it with a few friends, none of which were WC fans, so I enjoyed the movie a lot more than them despite the obvious short comings.

Bad Things:

Typical bad aliens vs. humans.

Needed more Kilrathi. I don't think any of my friends knew anything about the Cats other than they're the bad guys.

The helmets. Awful.

Good things:

SFX was pretty good considering the budget. The scenes from inside the cockpit brought back a lot of memories. Want to play WCIII/VI again.

Most original rendering of space I've seen. You don't often see nebulae, quasars etc ...

Battles were done well. Had that "massive naval battle" feel.

The story wasn't too bad. Needs a little work but it wasn't too bad ...

------------------
Mess with the best, die like the rest.

Hero said:
The only other pilot I can remember from the novel is Polanski, and he was in the movie (though they never metntoned his name).
His name is in the Confed Handbook though. And there were quite a few pilots and other crew members from the Claw mentioned, none of which played a big role though.

steampunk said:
Needed more Kilrathi. I don't think any of my friends knew anything about the Cats other than they're the bad guys.
Definetly, I happen to be one of the people who think the movie Kilrathi look pretty cool, and I’d like to see more of them as well.

The helmets. Awful.
IMO, different, but not awful.

SFX was pretty good considering the budget. The scenes from inside the cockpit brought back a lot of memories. Want to play WCIII/VI again.
It was pretty good even if you don’t consider the budget.
smile.gif
I love the scenes where the Claw takes hits from enemy torps or later from the guns on that cat cruiser. They’re just great.

What did you think of the WW II theme? Like submarines in space? IMO, it was very well done, and the capships looked much more realistic from inside than any of the ones we’ve seen in games.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Kilrathi look would have been OK if they would have had the budget to make them look real, unfort due to the budget they ended up looking far too stiff. As for the WWII Subs in space, if they would not have ripped off Das Boot (and they did rip off, that was not inspired from it, it was plain theft) it would have been much better. I just wish CR would have felt that WC could have stood on its own merits without taking so much from other films.

------------------
There is no God but myself. No destiny but what I deem for me. I walk my path and no others, for I am free.

http://www.ntr.net/~vondoom

Except Das Boot was an accurate movie about life on U-Boats. So the 'plain theft' is actually from submarines themselves. Which is why I think the Navy should sue. Or you should stop ranting. Whichever.

And Das Boot was based on the book of the same name. And said book was written by a guy who actually experienced those things in real life. Therefore, by your logic Vondoom, the WC movie is ripping off real life. Since God created real life, I think God should sue. Thank you.

He does have a point though LOAF, wing commander was fine the way it was, the Kilrathi may have needed updating but the fighter and capital ship designs were just perfect. The movie gave us submarines! The original WC history was just fine without all this Pilgrim stuff, all CR succeeded in doing was quickly throwing an entire new look to things therby alienating many fans of the games and people who don't like anachronisms (sp?)
With the old ship models, remove the traitors and replace them with mandarins (hope thats right only played WC2 once so far) and actually INCLUDED the traitor and I believe it would have been the perfect film for me
smile.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry, I've seen Das Boot and the WCM clearly takes many elements from it. My point is that the WCM did not have to be Das Boot in space. WC had more than enough material to make a worthy movie. WC4 proves that alone. The Matrix fight scenes was inspired by Hong Kong action movies. WCM on the other hand apparently was inspired by the look, feel, and action sequences of Das Boot. While I don't agree with it, I'm not saying it was bad. I just believe that the WCM should have stood on its own feet, sepereate of anything else. Unfort. due to budget constraints and this being CR's first film this wasn't taken advantage of.

------------------
There is no God but myself. No destiny but what I deem for me. I walk my path and no others, for I am free.

And does Jurgen Prochnow's involvement in both films bring you to say this as well, 'cause I've heard negative reviews for Wing Commander which use that excuse.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Dralthi5 (edited October 10, 2000).]

That is only one part of many, the worst scene rip off is the depth carges scene. Ugh... "Be quiet, they can hear us." Ughn....

------------------

And I suppose Empire Strikes Back ripped off that movie as well? After all, we see Imperial fighters droping "depth charges" on an asteroid.

I belive that Prochnows involvment in the movie is a great addition. Not only is he a great actor, it's somewhat an eater egg, after all he has stared in P2.

BTW, Vondoom, WC4 doesn't prove anything. Directing a movie and a game are two completly different things. WC4 has a great story, and if it was turned into a movie it could have great results, but WC4 has it's core in the gameplay, if there was no missions in between all you'd have would be cutscenes that mostly just show short and sometimes cheesy conversations between few people.

Earthworm: Rent Das Boot and you will know exactly what I mean. It wasn't simply that they used depth charges, it was how they did it, which is almost the same as in Das Boot. And I do like Jurgen Prochnow, in fact the reason he is in the movie is because CR liked him in Das Boot and wanted him in WC. That alone is by far the least of the reasons that it is similar to Das Boot. And I agree that WC4 in and of itself proves that it would be a good movie, just that WC has enough background to make a movie that stands totally on its own.

------------------

What Vondoom said is totally right. A movie based on a game should be just that. They shouldn't add on extra elements, like the Pilgrim story, when it had no basis in the games. Granted the games don't speak much of what happened prior to the war and the Pilgrim epic adds to the WCU, but for most moviegoers, I think it draws an uncomfortable parallel with SW Jedi.
I think Mortal Kombat is a good case study for this particular topic. The movie closely followed the 1st game. Therefore there was no real way for fans to criticize based on how good an adaptation the movie was. Then there was Super Mario Brothers - the movie differed in so many ways to the game that they were practically separate things. The result, I believe, was less than spectacular.

But the movie does follow the WC story quite well. There are even some things that happen in the games that can't be explained, but if you'd think about it, Pilgrims would fit very well in those places. CR probably though of the Pilgrims while making the games, but for some reason never used the idea.

And the movie follows the games close enough, that only if you're a serious nitpicker would you start criticising the movie about not fitting in with the universe. WC was no epic, but it was an enjoyable movie, and of the the better sci fi movies I've seen lately.

[This message has been edited by Earthworm (edited October 10, 2000).]

I agree with earthworm think the movie fet the game very well and the pilgram did fet alot of the unexplaned stuff in the game

------------------
Don't make me mad if you value your life!
-Zero (ICEMAN)

Back