Favorite fighter.

I love the BlackLance-Dragon-Fighter from WC4 --> Mysterious, dark and full of deadly power! ;)

On the 2nd position is the "Excalibur", and on the 3rd position is the good old alround "Hellcat"!

I see nobody has mentioned the cat's famous, well planned and highly engineered "Rock" ships! (why couldnt we think of that!) :D

I forgot all about the rock ships. I thought they were pretty funny when they showed up in the game, i always worried about comming in too fast on them and ramming them.

The Raptor does have a lot of firepower for its era, when most Kilrathi fighters have just a pair of lasers.

HammerHead said:
(and a word about WC3/4 fighters - they had such nice ship designes for WC1/2, so why suddenly change to these boxy, ugly, flying pigs?)

The "boxy" part, at least, was due to the performance restraints imposed by systems at the time, since the ships were actively rendered by the game engine, instead of WC1/2's pre-rendered sprites. Straight lines were easier to generate than curved ones, so there weren't quite as many curves as in earlier ship designs.

As for "ugly pigs", well, everyone's entitled to their opinion.

Even if it's dead wrong.

I always kinda liked the Ferret, and truth be told, I really enjoyed the Tiger Shark. Charging Mass Drivers were just what you needed to quickly go though fleets of bugs. Still, my all around favorite was probably the Rapier. Decent firepower, and armor/shielding, and good maneuverability... an all around good fighter.

Death said:
The "boxy" part, at least, was due to the performance restraints imposed by systems at the time, since the ships were actively rendered by the game engine, instead of WC1/2's pre-rendered sprites. Straight lines were easier to generate than curved ones, so there weren't quite as many curves as in earlier ship designs.

As for "ugly pigs", well, everyone's entitled to their opinion.

Even if it's dead wrong.

Everyone doe's entitled for their own opinion, BUT...

The Vaktoth and the Bloodfang are both nice models, the Arrow is fine (Not my cup of tea, but it has some thought put into it) but the Hellcat? flat and wide with large Ventral/Dorsal surface...
Reminds me of a certein Kilrathi long-used design nick-named "The Pancake".

The LongBow? X-shaped? now where have I seen this before?

And last but not least the ThunderBolt VII - this is my favorite WC3 fighter, But it looks like a flying BRICK... JEES!
All you need is to add a few Small wings on the top and bottom, may be some nicely fashioned Canard (small nose-wings) on the original and model, and -
TAH-DAH
It's allready looking better.

Adding wings/canards to the T-Bolt?

Now I'm just waiting for this to turn into a "THE RALARI MUST HAVE TRIANGLES!!!" discussion...

Haesslich said:
Swiss or cheddar-cheese triangles?

Hey, I was discussing ship designs...

Swiss/cheddar-cheese is a whole other issue - deppending whether you like you hamburgur kosher or not...

My list hasn't changed:
Raptor, Panther, Hellcat, Rapier-G

and I always wanted to fly a Hhriss, those things were mean.

C-ya

Raptor all the way for WC1
Rapier in WC2 (I always got aced in Sabre for some reason)
T-Bolt in WC3 (The Excalibur kind of made the fights cheese with its auto aim, just use tachyon guns and wail away!)
WC4????? The Dragon was and uber-ship but it felt like flying a Scimitar (which is actually more manueverable than the Raptor but it never felt like it), I was partial to the Banshee, or a good old Hellcat IV
WCP, hmmm once you get the Vampire you really don't need any other fighter especially the black version (it had torps right?)
Privateer1 & 2; It has been so long since I have played either, I can't remember, (though by the time I finished The Darkening I felt pretty much invincible).
Armada; never played
When most of the WC games came out I didn't have a computer so I have been playing catch up, which sucks lol.

wc1 - Raptor
wc2 - Sabre
wc3 - Excalibur
wc4 - bearcat/dragon
wcp - panther
SO - black vampire
priv1 - centurion
priv2 - freji mk2
armada - wraith

overall favorite - excalibur mk1

Ripper said:
Well, when it breaks down, it's only prudent to put out triangles.

speeder2.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, for my all-time favourite fighter I'm going to have to go with the Ferret. It's just awesome.

Now for my love/hate list for every game!

WC1: Love: Raptor Hate: None, they were all good ships.
WC2: Love: Ferret!! Hate: SABRE! WTF? You call THAT popcan a heavy fighter??
WC3: Haven't gotten my hands on it. :(
WC4: Love: Banshee - it feels like the old Ferrets! Hate: Hellcat V. How can ANYBODY love this piece of crap?!
WCP: Love: Vampire, obviously. Hate: Stock Devastator. Yeccch.

WC Armada: Love: Phantom. Ferret on STEROIDS. More of a "medium-light" but it's the best interceptor Confed ever built. Why the HELL were these not in WC3? Hate: None, really. The heavies were fun...flying gun platforms.

Privateer: Love: Galaxy - it's just got that Millenium Falcon feel. Hate: Tarsus, aka flying coffin.

WC Armada: Love: Phantom. Ferret on STEROIDS. More of a "medium-light" but it's the best interceptor Confed ever built. Why the HELL were these not in WC3? Hate: None, really. The heavies were fun...flying gun platforms.

WC3:3DO had actual flying gun platforms!

Seriously, though, the Phantom? Other than having the worst visibility of any ship ever, it just doesn't seem to stand out. :)

The Privateer 'cut ship' was a "speeder" a fifth ship you could buy that was really fast but carried a low number of weapons and cargo.

Well, this thread has done before... but here we go again

wc1/swc: raptor
wc2: never played it
wc3: excalibur
wc4: dragon
wcp: vampire/devastator (just love that plasma gun when i go head-on with a bug)
wcso: same as wcp

Back