Favorite Confed Particle Weapon. . .

What is your favorite Confed particle weapon of all time?

• Laser (the ageless wonder)

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • Mass Driver (all varienats regular, charging, heavy)

Votes: 9 15.3%
  • Particle Cannon (all variants)

Votes: 3 5.1%
  • Tachyon Cannon (all variants)

Votes: 18 30.5%
  • Reaper Cannon

Votes: 8 13.6%
  • Ion Cannon (all variants - light, chain, heavy)

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • Strormfire Gun (both versions-Mk1 and Mk2)

Votes: 7 11.9%
  • Plasma Gun

Votes: 4 6.8%
  • Dust Cannon (young upstart)

Votes: 5 8.5%
  • Neutron Gun (anotehr ageless wonder)

Votes: 2 3.4%

• Total voters

Viper61

Spaceman
Yaaaaaaaayyyyyy, polls are back :)

And with this great turn of events I have a question to ask everyone. What is your favorite particle weapon in the WC universe? Energy weapons are the backbone of the Confed offenses/defenses from the fighter to the carrier, so which do you prefer to tear up Kilrathi/BW/Confed/Nephilim ships with? My personal favorite of all time would have the be the particle cannon (in all it's forms and modifications) though the Stromfire and the dust cannon are rapidly gaining on them due to my experience with WC Prophecy and Secret Ops. Have fun.

Re: Re: Favorite Confed Particle Weapon. . .

Originally posted by Starkey

They are back and REPETITIVE, as usual :(

Sorry about repitition :( , haven't ever seen it as a poll, heard lots of debate thoughout the CIC though

C-ya

Well, they are not Particle guns but its a good poll
It is a poll with some specific WC guns :)

Stormfire for me!

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF
Several of those *aren't* particle weapons...

Already had this conversation many times :). Depends on your definition of particle, if you see a particle as something with mass, then it describes the Mass Driver, Stormfire, and Dust Cannon. If you think like I do and see a particle as "sub atomic particles" or "ionic" particles it describes most of the energy weapons in the WC arsenal (I tend to use particle and energy weapons interchangably). To be more percise I could have said energy/projectile weapons but I thought I'd go with a more cryptic term and say particle weapons ;)

I'm going to throw this out and get some input from everyone, kind of a related post inside a post, I've been playing Secret Ops (I'm to Episode 3) and I'm kindof wondering whether the new weapons are better than the old. The Black Panther seems to be alittle more underpowered with the cloudburst in place of the tachyon cannons (even though the chain ion cannon is a godsend) and the Vampire seems to have lost a little punch with its particle cannons being replaced by the pulse particle. The Shrike and Wasp are the 2 big improvements with the implementations of the dust cannons and other energy weapon changes. Anyone else notice this?

Cya

But no definition of 'particle' means something with mass... particles make up everything, but the word specifies the tiniest piece of everything. Hence, in WC particle weapons are those energy weapons which make use of things like individual bits of atoms...

But no definition of 'particle' means something with mass... particles make up everything, but the word specifies the tiniest piece of everything. Hence, in WC particle weapons are those energy weapons which make use of things like individual bits of atoms...

Particles of dust . . . Particles of sand . . . A particle is a peice of something your correct in that statement but it doesn't have to be energy particles, they can be much bigger. Look I agree it's a weak argument too, but I've already had it with at least 4 other people on the CIC so I'm going with an overall definition for this poll. Particle to me means what you are talking about, I just generalized.

C-ya

Yes, a particle can be a piece of sand... but *not* a metal slug. :)

okay , okay, so the stormfires the only one on the list that doesn't match absolutely any definition of particle that we have spoken about :)

Since the dust cannon uses particles of exhaust to fire and I'm assuming from my interpretation of the secret ops literature that the mass driver does the same.

Quite frankly, my opinion depends on the definition of particle. If you mean charged Particle (i.e. Energy) weaponry, I would have to say the Tachyon Weapons from the Excalibur.. if you mean particle as in physical particle of something, I would have to say Mass Drivers in all their forms

I always found mass drivers to be quite reliable. They could make even a light fighter very deadly, and they had a reasonable range and good damage inflicting potential.

I'm a mass driver fan too. If you can only have one gun on a ship, make it a mass driver, it's the best all around gun. If you can have more though, add some particle cannons. Those things were great, specially when starting out with little cash on Priv 1. You saved up the credits, bought a particle cannon, and then suddenly it took you 30 seconds instead of 30 minutes to shoot down a Talon. God, those laser-only dogfights were painful! ;)

--Eder

According to the novels Mass Drivers have small slugs... we just don't see the slug-limit simulated in the games.

Let's take a look at the advantages and disadvantages of the different guns:

Laser Cannon:
Low power consumption
Low damage potential
High refire rate
High range

Analysis: one pair is enough to down light fighters in WC 1/2, but WC3 or later requires at least two pairs to do worthwhile damage.

Mass Driver:
Low power consumption (regular) / medium power consumption (Heavy/charging)
Medium damage potential (regular) / High damage potential (Heavy/charging)
High refire rate (WC 1/2) / medium refire rate (Priv, WC3/4/P)
Low range

Analysis: A good gun that packs a decent punch with a good refire rate, but the short range is bad for those who prefer to shoot at their enemies from a distance.

Particle Cannon:
Medium power consumption (regular) / low power consumption (pulse)
High damage potential (regular) / low damage potential (pulse)
High refire rate (pulse) / medium refire rate (regular)
High range

Analysis: The regular particle cannon is the most energy efficient gun in the game, being the only one to cause more than 2.0 units of damage per GJ of energy expended. It is my personal weapon of choice. The Pulse partical cannon is more of a machine gun, firing rapid, low-damage shots.

Tachyon Cannon:
High power consumption
High damage potential
Medium refire rate
High range

Analysis: The Tachyon cannon packs a heavy punch that is exceeded by only the Plasma cannon, and it does so with lower power consumption. In groups of four, these guns can make short work of any fighter, as evidenced by the overwhelming attack power of the Excalibur.

Reaper Cannon:
Low power consumption
Medium damage potential
Medium refire rate
Medium range

Analysis: The Reaper cannon is superior to its predecessor, the Ion cannon, having a lower power consumption with a slightly higher damage potential and refire rate. When given a choice between the two, the Reaper cannon wins hands down.

Ion Cannon:
Medium power consumption (regular) / Low power consumption (chain)
Medium damage potential (regular) / Low damage potential (chain)
Medium refire rate (regular) / High refire rate (chain)
Medium range

Analysis: The regular Ion cannon is the most energy inefficient of all guns used by the Confederation, consuming 30GJ of energy to do 30 points of damage. Its only saving grace is that it has a longer range than the Mass Driver; in all other respects the Mass Driver outperforms it. The Pulse Particle cannon is like a machinegun, firing fast, low-damage shots.

Stormfire Cannon:
Zero power consumption
Medium damage potential (Mk2) / Low damage potential (Mk1)
High refire rate (Mk2) / Very high refire rate (Mk1)
High range (Mk2) / Low range (Mk1)

Analysis: Both models of Stormfire cannon can rain death upon enemy ships...as long as the ammunition holds out. Be careful using the Mk1, as Black Lance pilots like to cut the throttle when you are tailing them closely.

Plasma Cannon (WC 3/4 version)
High power consumption
High damage potential
Low refire rate
Medium range

Analysis: The Plasma cannon has higher power consumption and a lower refire rate than the Tachyon cannon. Go with Tachyons if given a choice.

Plasma Mortar (WCP version)
Very high power consumption
Very high damage potential
Very low refire rate
Medium range

Analysis: The Plasma Mortar can take out light fighters in one shot--which is good because the two-second refire delay means that you may only get the one shot. In addition, it is the only gun that can destroy capship components in WCP. It is a great heavy hitter, but I would like to have another set of guns for backup for when I can't afford to wait through the refire delay.

Dust Cannon:
Low power consumption
Medium damage potential
Very high refire rate
High range

Analysis: The Dust Cannon's individual shots do moderate damage, but its real power comes when you can bring it to bear on a target for at least a full second--its machinegun-like barrage will tear anything apart.

Neutron Cannon:
Medium power consumption
Medium damage potential
Low refire rate
Low range

Analysis: The neutron cannon was a favorite up until the end of the Kilrathi war, when it was apparently realized that the Particle cannon could pack almost as much punch with a longer range.

Damage/Power (cm/nJ)
Mass Driver 0.292
Plasma Cannon 0.273
Neutron GUn 0.267
Dust Cannon 0.222
Reaper Cannon 0.206
Particle Cannon 0.191
Laser Cannon 0.180
Tachyon Gun 0.175
Ion Cannon 0.100
Stormfire n/a

Damage Per Second (cm/s)
Dust Cannon 48.00
Plasma Cannon 30.00
Stormfire 12.10
Tachyon Gun 9.33
Reaper Cannon 7.00
Mass Driver 7.00
Particle Cannon 6.30
Neutron Gun 5.33
Ion Cannon 5.14
Laser Cannon 4.32

Range (km)
Plasma Cannon 6000
Laser Cannon 5000
Stormfire Gun 5000
Dust Cannon 5000
Reaper Cannon 4500
Ion Cannon 4500
Particle Cannon 4200
Neutron Gun 4000
Tachyon Gun 3900
Mass Driver 2000

Thanks for the numbers, Loaf! The damage per second and the damage per unit of energy are just as important as the damage per shot (unless you are using the WCP plasma mortar). Speaking of plasma cannons, you seem to have given the numbers for the WCP plasma cannon, but not for the WC3/4 plasma cannon. The WC3/4 plasma cannon has a somewhat lower energy efficiency and rate of fire than the tachyon cannon.

Back