Favorite Confed Particle Weapon. . .

What is your favorite Confed particle weapon of all time?

• Laser (the ageless wonder)

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • Mass Driver (all varienats regular, charging, heavy)

Votes: 9 15.3%
  • Particle Cannon (all variants)

Votes: 3 5.1%
  • Tachyon Cannon (all variants)

Votes: 18 30.5%
  • Reaper Cannon

Votes: 8 13.6%
  • Ion Cannon (all variants - light, chain, heavy)

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • Strormfire Gun (both versions-Mk1 and Mk2)

Votes: 7 11.9%
  • Plasma Gun

Votes: 4 6.8%
  • Dust Cannon (young upstart)

Votes: 5 8.5%
  • Neutron Gun (anotehr ageless wonder)

Votes: 2 3.4%

• Total voters
Originally posted by Knitewing
I can't stand the mass driver cannons in any of the games. Tach for me. Fast recharge and packs a pretty heavy blast. The heavier guns are nice but the battles go too quickly with those.

I love mass drivers as a ships main armament, but as the rear turret on the Thud it royally blew. I don't think it scared anything away, I just get shewed up form the backside. How can the Paktahn guns/gunners be so effective/accurate and mine has to be so lame? *and yes I do want so me cheese with that whine :)*

C-ya

I actually liked the reaper gun. But otherwise my fav is a tie between the leech and fission cause I would leech a ship and then fission it!

Originally posted by Stunner
I actually liked the reaper gun. But otherwise my fav is a tie between the leech and fission cause I would leech a ship and then fission it!

Yeah, the great thing about the leech cannon was that every hit counted as permanant damage--if you cut down an enemy's shields with regular guns, the shields would regenerate, but damage from leech guns does NOT get repaired. I found that leech guns were the only reliable way to take down Dragons when I was flying a Banshee, since they would cloak far too quickly to tear down their shields with the Banshee's laser cannons. Too bad the leech cannons lacked ITTS though.

Originally posted by Penguin

My guess is the Reaper Cannon was not found to be significantly better than the Ion Cannon.

I went back into the ship dtabase and saw that the change began in WC4, tons of ion cannnons but no reapers. When you compare the 2 head to head though, the reaper seems to be far superior to the ion cannon. Oh well. Cest la vie.

C-ya

Note: looks like everyone enjoys the power hungry but ship shredding tachyon cannons followed by the venrable mass drivers. Thanks for voting everyone :)

Tachyons and reapers on the Excalibur! Thats the only way to fly. You guys have net polls. Can anyon do them?

Yeah, Tachyons frag anything! I get in an Excalibur and the Darkets just disintegrate in three or four shots! Quad Tachyons is the perfect gun loadout for a fighter in my opinion.

i loved the quad light tachyons of the bearcat, especially when used with autotracking

I think Tachyons are the best there the fastest moving lasers, there refire rate is acceptable, and have a good punch.

I would have to go with the Wasp dust cannon. Not much damage, but superb refire, so yoiu inflict a whole of damage per second.

Best, Raptor

Tachyons rocked simply because they were attached to two of the cheapest fighters in the games: The Excalibur and The Dragon/Black Lance.

he means cheap as in the so easy it stupid kind of cheap

bearcat is still my favorite fighter of wc4, i felt dirty using the dragon

Microwaving kitties with purrrrticles is fun, sure...but the feeling of pumping them full of old-fashioned lead or depleted uranium is classic!!! I went with the Stormfire; it was so cool in WC4.

I think that we have more or less agreed that quad Tachyon cannons frag things the easiest. Mass Drivers seem to be the next most popular--they deliver a good punch with low power consumption--their main drawback being the short range.

I would like to put in a word in favor of the plain vanilla Laser cannons, which seem to be an underdog here. True, they have the lowest damage potential of any gun, but, prior to the introduction of the Dust Cannon, the Pulse Particle Cannon, and the Chain Ion Cannon in SOP, they were the fastest-firing guns available. Also, they have the highest range in the game, nearly 50% farther than the Ion, Tachyon, and Particle cannons and their variants.

The low damage potential of Lasers can be offset by just having more of them--for example, the Banshee in WC4 had four Lasers, and was a good light fighter--the Lasers were enough to fight any opponent except for Dragons, which you were better off using the Leech cannons against. In fact, I have modded a Tigershark variant that sports six Laser cannons, and it seems to work well for dogfighting at long range.

Originally posted by pygmypiranha Too close for MISSILES, Switching to GUNS!!!

In Wing Commader, there is no such thing as too close for missiles! Ram them and drop missiles!

Back