Favorite Anime?

Status
Not open for further replies.
sorry, input error.......... TV is irrelevant, waste of time.

by the way, your graphics are slow and error prone

edit: 2nd sentence

Originally posted by dacis2
sorry, input error.......... TV is irrelevant, waste of time.
by the way, your graphics are slow and error prone

You're not a waste of my time, since I have no time to deal with single-minded, self-absorbed, ego-masturbating bastards like yourself.

By the way, the graphics work fine for me. Perhaps you need to up date that stone wheel you call a computer, you half-witted, eye-f*cked-blind gnome.

And finally, please be nicer to people and their opinions, or you'll get more of the same.

For me, the best is Robotech, I do still have one of those cool toy robots that turn into a plane.

Hated Eva.
Sorry, had to say it.

As for stuff I like...

Lodoss OVA, 08th MS Team, Gundam 0080 (another UC fan), Nadesico, Cowboy Bebop, Vandread, Big O, BGC OVA
Those ones head out my list.

Regarding Adult Swim - the AS edit of Cowboy Bebop kept most of the stuff that would have been cut from the Toonami block, although I hear a few things were still removed (already had it all on DVD, so I didn't bother to tape it - they also didn't show a few episodes on the first run - reasons for that included shooting someone who looked like a little boy, an episode with a hijacking, and a bomber who blows up buildings that look similar to the WTC - the initial run was right after the WTC, and the missing episodes aired on the second run). One thing to note, however, is that not everything currently airing on AS is edited for the AS format. The people in charge of AS recently had the option to expand it, but they had to find things to fill the new time slots right away (or they'd lose the time slots). As a result, two of the shows - Yu Yu Hakeshu and Pilot Candidate (originally Candidate for Goddess) - are being shown with edits that were made with the Toonami block in mind.

I never got into Eva -- I'm sure it's very intelligent and what-not, but I just have a lot of trouble getting attached to anything with man-bots <G> Never liked Gundam for the same reason.

(Although, to prove that my opinion is absolutely worthless among anime circles, I absolutely love Pokemon -- it's bright and colorful and vibrant and fun. It's great to see more 'adult' cartoons these days... but we should appreciate some innocent ones, too <G>)

Originally posted by Zor Prime
Ah Eva.....I liked the show, but I didn't like the way it ended too much. Overall it was good though.

I love EVA, I even bought the 8 DVDs serie. But I agree the ending was... disapointing, or frustrating may be more exact. The author didn't have enough money/time to complete the serie the way he wanted, so he reused old footage to make the finale from the point of view of the Shengi's mind. I bought the Japanese version of the movie (the International version is rumoured to get out next fall) and wasn't disapointed in the ending at all. It was cool, although I must admit that part of the reason I found EVA so intriguing is the very fact that we don't know for sure was exactly happened to the characters. I've seen the movie 3 years after the series, so I had a lot of discussions and theories about it. I suppose I would not have enjoyed the serie this much if I would have seen the movie right after the serie (when I first watched the serie, we screened the entire serie in two days... we couldn't let go, we had to go back downtown and rent the next video tapes !).

LOAF: EVA isn't just about giant robots, it has high-tech/political/genetics/psycological/religious themes that can appeal to anyone who loves anime. It's plot and secrets agenda are always leaving you with more questions that answers and craving for the next episode (although it might not seems so in the first few episodes).

It bugs me too, but for a different reason, I think. I always wanted to be in a giant robot! That would be awesome! I like Ghost in the Shell. Loved Akira. Dragonball's good, I like "Z" a lot. LOVE Ranma 1/2. I think Xenogears worked incredibly well visually-- I wouldn't mind a combination of anime art and so-called "realistic" art in the games. And in response to how often english-dubbed voices usually, err, "5uck @$$," I'd say watch Princess Mononoke. That flick kicked "@$$," even dubbed. There was a japanese anime short I saw once that absolutely rocked, I think it was called "cloud." It was about this little robot kid who lived in the sky. That was a really, really good short.

Just a slight topic deviation...

I really dislike how many people classify mecha as "robots." The term robot is really more appropriate for a tool than a vehicle. Legs instead of wheels != robot.

I must agree that the dubbing was excellent in Mononoke, barnone, but you did notice they also used actual actors?

Oh, and what is it with the Japanese and mechs, anyway? LOAF probably ponders this as well:D

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF
It's great to see more 'adult' cartoons these days... but we should appreciate some innocent ones, too <G>

Amen, brother.

Well... very little is specifically *about* giant robots -- but their existence bugs me :)
Would you like it better if I'd tell you they're *cough* not *cough* robots at all ? :D

About English dubbing versus original version: not all dubbing are awfull. EVA's english dubbing is great (it's french dubbing sucks, though)

About Pokemon and the other innocent anime: Agree with LOAF. These are not to be disregarded. I like Pokemon and sometimes watch it with my 6 years old kid. Anime is one thing we have in common :)

I don't mind the giant robots. In factm i'd love to ride one of those prototypes they have actually built in Japan. None of the them have weapons, but knowing they actually exit it would make my day to pilot one.

Frosty, vehicles are, in fact, tools. We just happen to ride them to use them. Mecha are robots the same way Mechwarrior mechs are robots.

(Although, to prove that my opinion is absolutely worthless among anime circles, I absolutely love Pokemon -- it's bright and colorful and vibrant and fun. It's great to see more 'adult' cartoons these days... but we should appreciate some innocent ones, too <G>)

Ever seen Cardcaptor Sakura? I'm not referring to the bastardized edited thing called Cardcaptors that shows on WB. I'm talking about the original, uncut show. Its cute, innocent, and uproariously hilarious.

For those who don't know, the Cardcaptors edit doesn't remove any sex, violence, drinking, or other things that are taboo on public TV (probably the "worst" thing in the show is Sakura's crush on her older brother's friend). Instead it focused on altering the plot to make it more "attractive" to young boys (small plot changes, cut episodes, playing up one character's role, etc... - i.e. similar to the havoc wreaked on Escaflowne).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back