Excals and T-bolts in WCPSO

Saturnyne

Vice Admiral
Why are they there? I'd imagine it's more for posterity than anything else, but I ask this...

Why weren't they improved? With the new fighters out, the old ones are obsolete, so it makes no sense that they would be used at all... but since they are, why have no efforts been made to improve them? Even from a programming angle... I hate losing wingman, and it's harrowing to see T-bolt after T-bolt scream in terror as they die. So why are they there if they're so inferior?

For the most part, the old fighters have been replaced. But these fighters are by no means obsolete. IIRC, the newer fighters were being place into squadrons and put online when available. It takes a while to replace an entire fleet.

Also, the fighters that you fight with in SO are either from In-System Security forces or Capships like Destoryers and Cruisers, who would be the last to receive new fighter craft.

Well look where they are based from. Deep in Sol sector. They dont need to have their top line fighters in space where they dont have to worry about a threat like Kilrathi or pirates. They are used as insystem security like Blair was for ten years before the war found him again. They arent that bad compared to the new fighters though, its just the pilots being insystem arent quite the cream of the crop either.

ah... storywise, I didn't think of that... I'd have thought their concern for defense of their immediate borders would be just as, if not more important than outer defense... but it makes sense either way. Farther away, you have a better chance of stopping all assaults... Close to home, the enemy can add up their numbers as they advance and overcome you and your fleet...

The are improve slightly, in the shield/armor areas... Some weapons are also different.

But most importantly, those fighters aren't front line fighters anymore, they're stationed deep within Confed space and don't see that much combat so there is no need for major improvement.

I could understand that if they were soon-to-be-replaced fighters... keep them on as long as you can, then ditch them for the new models. But you'd think that Confed would work as quickly as they could to get the new ships to in-system stations to beef up defense as it were.

Yes, new fighters means more funds for military budget, something that politics were not too keen of doing....

Remenber that the Midway project had a hard time to be aproved and a Midway class cost less and its more cost effective that a vesuvius class.

Also ConFed was at peace, like it was said, so that would be throwing money out the windows for the politics point of view.

...Kilrathi spies that seem to always atract Blair's attention... :)

Would Jamison in Fleet Action count as a spy, LOAF?

Also, Admiral Wilson in the WC movie was a traitor for the Kilrathi...

Yes, yes she would...but no one but us and her knows that she is for sure!

Excalibers are still pretty good machines, with the right pilot...SO is tougher with one, but it's still not impossible.

Yeah, but neither Jamison nor Wilson ever called me "handsome"...then again, she called hundreds of thousands of guys "handsome"...

I thought the Mandarins were trying to stop the war, they were just incredibly stupid, thinking that the Kilrathi would spare humanity...which of course they wouldn't.

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF
Pirates, terrorists, revolutionaries...
Yeah, but that hardly requires front line equipment. The undermaned Midway was able to handle a group of pirates without the best fighters in the fleet.

Wow, LOAF posted in one of my threads... I must bow and preach my unworthiness...

Anyway, at that point in WCPSO, Confed would realize that they are at war. If I were in Confed and had half a brain, I'd send some Panthers, Vampires, Devs, Shrikes and Wasps to replace the older Excals, T-Bolts and other older model ships. And even if not, then it might be logical to upgrade the shields and weapons of the existing ships to make them a little more formadible against the insect opponents.

Do the Excals and T-Bolts have better stuff going for them in higher difficulties? I always fly at ace in my WC games, except for 4, because that game is WAY too hard with all the missiles they fire... and since one missile kills...

Originally posted by Saturnyne
Wow, LOAF posted in one of my threads... I must bow and preach my unworthiness...

Does bowing make it easier to kiss his ass?:)

Confed may know that they have a new threat on their hands but they didnt know it was going to be right on their doorstep. The Nephiliem had only been in Kilrathi space before for the most part. There was no way they could have known they needed to have better fighters deep inside Confed space. Besides, the fighters themselves are still pretty decent. Just need better pilots.

[Edited by Supdon3 on 07-04-2001 at 01:26]

Originally posted by Quarto
Then of course there's Minx. She's a Mandarin, so indirectly she's a Kilrathi spy.

And of course, Hobbes, even if he didn't know it. :) As for the old fighters, like a lot of people have said, the Excals can hold their own. Of course having the new fighters everywhere would be ideal, but keep in mind that Confed is in peacetime mode at the start of WC:p. The attitude would probably have been something like "If it works, why fix it?"

Best, Raptor

Originally posted by Supdon3
Well look where they are based from. Deep in Sol sector. They dont need to have their top line fighters in space where they dont have to worry about a threat like Kilrathi or pirates. They are used as insystem security like Blair was for ten years before the war found him again. They arent that bad compared to the new fighters though, its just the pilots being insystem arent quite the cream of the crop either.

I just realized something about the Ferret. How old are they? They might be something like the Scimm, pulled from the front lines but still used in backwater areas...

Then again, I never heard of a Scimm in SO...:)

Back