Excals and T-bolts in WCPSO

Ferrets have been around since the late 30s... they're very advanced, given what they did.

The Excaliburs and Thunderbolts we see in SO are HD and ISS fighters -- individual supporters can't afford (and probably aren't legally allowed:)) to upgrade their fighter squadrons as quickly as the military does... (plus, Confed's carriers are still using t-bolt squadrons -- it'll be a while before HD squadrons can get access the new fighters...)

As for traitors, there's always that damned Ortiz! :)

If they could pack swarmers on to the TBolts and Excals then those fighters would definitely give a good account of themselves regardless of the pilot.

ANy fighter with the ability to hit a target with four missiles simeltaniously would be able to make a good showing.

Hey, if i couldnt fly a Vampire or a Panther you can be sure that I would love to be in an Excalibur or a Thunderbolt.

I don't understand what the problem is...Excalibers are more heavily armed than the standard Panther, and are still really good ships. Thunderbolts are still decent heavy fighters/light bombers. Flying them in SO is tough, but not impossible.

Thunderbolts are my ship of choice as well. There's no other ship I'd rather strap into, not even a Dragon.

IRL, a Arrow would be more fun to fly though... ;)

I loved the T-bolt in WC3, and wished I could fly it in WC4. In WC:p though, it would take a heck of a lot of money (or an extremely convincing death threat :D ) to make me fly one against the Nephilim. The Excal would be a differant story, though.

Best, Raptor

personally i hated he excal, the thunderbolt was my ship of choice in wc3, after all it was harder than the hellcat, and could do all the hellcat and arrow missions

it isnt my fav wc ship of all time though, cause it was a bit unwieldy, id rather scrap in a vampire or a devastator (or panther) in wcp

How the heck can you hate the Excalibur? That's like hating choclate. :D She's fast, agile, got massive firepower and a ton of missiles, plus all the special abilities in the game.

Best, Raptor

Perhaps because of that, maybe she was too good.
But then you should like the Dragon and Vampire even less... ;)

I liked the Excalibur, just to assure you :)

The Excal was beautiful and strong! It would not run from anything! :D

Heh. What I liked the about the Excalibur was that for all her advantages, she still demanded a fair amount of skill. That light armour meant you couldn't afford to get bounced. The lack of torpedoes made attacking capships a challenge. The cloak was limited. That was a complete contrast to the Dragon, which had no appreciable weaknesses at all.

Best, Raptor

Yep, though she could still kick serious booty if flown well. That, along with the fact that so many of her features were new to WC games (auto-tracking, player cloaking) made her a great "reward" ship for getting that far into the game.

Best, Raptor

heh... the only thing is that you can't arm the Excal to full guns, or you'll only get two shots before your gun pool is empty. That would be a major disadvantage against the Nephilim, because despite what everyone thinks of them, they do fight hard... otherwise, your wingman would never go down. Hell, I died against a wing of devil rays, and... um... those ships that look like them... don't remember what they're called... manta? Anyway, you get my point... the Excal needs a better power plant to be more effective... and hey, why aren't Dragons in service? Even without their cloaking device, they can carry torps and are very swift and tough. Is it because they were for the Black Lance and they don't stand as a good symbol as part of Confed's navy?

For one, there aren't any cloaking devices in SO (I think the engine supports it...there's a cloaking scene in the WCP script that was taken out). Still, the Dragon is essentially outclassed by the Black Vampire...maybe an upgraded Dragon would be a bit better.

Dragons were expensive fighters. Let's see...a heavy ship with the manuverability and speed of a medium fighter, unlimited afterburners, M/AM powerplant, really tiny ramscoops, autoslide, autotracking, tachyons and plasma cannons, variable geometry, fission cannons...it gets pretty expensive.

Back