EPISODE 3 Discussion

Darkmage

Vice Admiral
I've just seen the film, it's excellent, has anyone else seen it/thoughts, fight scene with yoda vs palpatine was especially awesome.

I saw it as well 14 hours ago. I fell that the movie was very well done. Unlike Ep 1 & 2 Ep3 actually illicited an emotional response from me. The tie ins to the original trilogy were very well done with only a few minor inconsistancies. Over all the best movie from the prequels but still isn't as good as the originals. I liked how the clones armor was beginning to look more like stormtroopers and General Grevious was a badass mofo! Cool movie a must see for any Star Wars fan.

I watched the midnight screening and I loved it every bit of, although the Droids talking to one another was a bit interesting and all.
The fight scene between Yoda and Palpatine was sweet, I would have said that Yoda could have been him with one hand tied behind his back, but then it would ruin the rest of the plot and all.
The fans all dress up at the cinemas were hilarious, I even saw my uni lecturer there to see Star Wars and it was funny.
I have so many things to say but I will wait to till more people have comments to say.

I just saw it a few hours ago and yeah, pretty good. It looks fantastic, the dialogue is a bit cheesy but then again its Star Wars and thats the way its supposed to be and yes the fight scenes were awesome.
Although this has nothing to do with the film itself - the sound in the cinema I saw it in was down WAY too low which detracted my enjoyment of it. FUCK YOU Hoyts @ Penrith! FUCK YOU!

I watched the movie tonight and I think it's really the best of the new ones but there were a few things I didn't understand.

1. How is it possible to misinterpret the prophecy saying that the chosen one will bring balance to the force. I mean there is a whole jedi order with I do not know how many jedis and obviously there aren't that much sith running around. So of course balance would mean a shift to the dark side.....

2. How comes that a loving father in spe who is loyal to the republic and has a relativly good relationship with his jedi master (hell he even apologies for his arrogance and they part in a good mood) turns into a butcher who is even slaugthering child? And this in only about 15 min of movietime?? I would guess the process in becoming a psychopath takes a bit longer than a few days....

3. What happened to the face of the emperor? If he fried himself with his own lightning show, wouldn't his face not rather been burnt? And if the stress of using his powers is so great that he is getting that much older in a short amount of time, I wonder why he even use this power then....

4. Why did Obi-Wan, let Aniken left alone after he had cut off his feet? I mean if he didn't want to kill him, why didn't he help him get away from the fire? But if he wanted to kill him why would he for god's sake leave him alone to die a very slow and agonizing death? Wouldn't it be more mercyful for a jedi to end is suffering? But no he leaves him alone to fry.

So could please anyone clear this up for me thx :)

Atekimogus said:
1. How is it possible to misinterpret the prophecy saying that the chosen one will bring balance to the force. I mean there is a whole jedi order with I do not know how many jedis and obviously there aren't that much sith running around. So of course balance would mean a shift to the dark side.

Since the prophecy has never been quoted, we don't know what it said.

Atekimogus said:
2. How comes that a loving father in spe who is loyal to the republic and has a relativly good relationship with his jedi master (hell he even apologies for his arrogance and they part in a good mood) turns into a butcher who is even slaugthering child? And this in only about 15 min of movietime?? I would guess the process in becoming a psychopath takes a bit longer than a few days.

It was always there. Anakin slaughtered all those sandpeople, including the women and children in the previous movie.

Atekimogus said:
What happened to the face of the emperor? If he fried himself with his own lightning show, wouldn't his face not rather been burnt? And if the stress of using his powers is so great that he is getting that much older in a short amount of time, I wonder why he even use this power then.

The dark side is very corrupting. I know what you're talking about but I haven't seen the movie till later today, so i'll have to come back to answer this properly.

Atekimogus said:
4. Why did Obi-Wan, let Aniken left alone after he had cut off his feet? I mean if he didn't want to kill him, why didn't he help him get away from the fire? But if he wanted to kill him why would he for god's sake leave him alone to die a very slow and agonizing death? Wouldn't it be more mercyful for a jedi to end is suffering? But no he leaves him alone to fry.

Now THAT is an intelligent question. I'm not quite sure how to answer that.

1. This is something I debated to death on a SW forum, but I'll give you the short version of my answer. I believe that when the darkside exists at all, the force is not in balance, not in harmony with nature I suppose. Many people think that balance means an equal number of Sith and Jedi, which doesn't make sense to me considering that Sith are not the only dark side users and Jedi are not the only light side users. I think Luke was actually the chosen one, the Jedi even say that Anakin MAY be the chosen one, they're not sure. At least with the novels, it makes sense. After Luke brings Anakin back to the light side, Jedi and Sith alike in subsequent novels switch between light and dark all the time, whereas before that, it was believed impossible the turn back from the dark side. So Luke actually brought balance to the force in my opinion. (Yes, this is the short version)

2. Thats what the dark side does to you.

3. Don't know

4. Because we need a Darth Vader :D

After Luke brings Anakin back to the light side, Jedi and Sith alike in subsequent novels switch between light and dark all the time

Non-Movie novels are not canon, so using them is circumstantial at best.

LeHah said:
It was always there. Anakin slaughtered all those sandpeople, including the women and children in the previous movie.

And this was wrong, how? :p

Seriously, though, I thought that his killing of the entire group of sandpeople was just. Without the men to bring in food/money (stolen, no doubt) the women and children would slowly die of starvation or from the elements or from being attacked by other life forms. Killing them all could be construed as a merciful act.

I'm seeing ep 3 tonight at 7:30. Complete with a date of the female variety. :D

From what I've read, it's the best of the prequels. Course, that ain't saying much. But, I've read a few reviews that said it was better than ROTJ (which I find hard to believe, as ROTJ was my favorite, Ewoks notwithstanding)

Porthos said:
Seriously, though, I thought that his killing of the entire group of sandpeople was just. Without the men to bring in food/money (stolen, no doubt) the women and children would slowly die of starvation or from the elements or from being attacked by other life forms. Killing them all could be construed as a merciful act.

No wonder they gave you that avatar ;)

Porthos said:
And this was wrong, how?

Jedi are suppose to act on rationale and a strict moral code, albeit defunct in a changing universe. While there is no such mystical "dark side" in the real world, I've always agreed that killing another human being is a swinging door that closes once you walk through.

Porthos said:
Seriously, though, I thought that his killing of the entire group of sandpeople was just.

Not hardly. While I understand why someone would do it per se, a Jedi does not quench his thirst of vengence by going Titus Anderonicus on an entire encampment of humanoids. He snuck in, the sandpeople didn't know he was there - he could've easily avoided conflict by sneaking back out again.

Porthos said:
Without the men to bring in food/money (stolen, no doubt) the women and children would slowly die of starvation or from the elements or from being attacked by other life forms.

If you were to take that statement and turn the ethnicity into the Irish or Jewish, you'd be seen as a monster, and rightly so. You're justifying the acts of a spree murderer with a heavy ethnic bias. Frank Black would not approve.

Porthos said:
Killing them all could be construed as a merciful act.

Much like banning your ass for a day or two.

after watching it;

Its like the first two films where mere trailers to the main event...

very good film, and certainly superior to the previous two. But I kinda feel that there was a lot of wasted character development and needless filler in the first two. As ep 3 runs at a furious pace, and Anakins descent into the dark side seems extremely rapid. Like litterally 4 maybe 5 scenes.

On the whole, I reconmend it, some memorable scenes.

such as the opening shot of the Peacefull republic battleship and the reveal to the battle was fantastic.

For the record, the first two times I played WCIV, I got the flight instructor ending. :p

LeHah said:
Jedi are suppose to act on rationale and a strict moral code, albeit defunct in a changing universe. While there is no such mystical "dark side" in the real world, I've always agreed that killing another human being is a swinging door that closes once you walk through.
That is the screwiest analogy I've ever read. A swinging door that closes once you walk through. :p

I agree that he shouldn't have snapped. He should have calmly killed them all, instead of angrilly killing them all.

Tell me, what is your opinion of the soldier that performs his duty in combat? Is he less of a person?

LeHah said:
Not hardly. While I understand why someone would do it per se, a Jedi does not quench his thirst of vengence by going Titus Anderonicus on an entire encampment of humanoids. He snuck in, the sandpeople didn't know he was there - he could've easily avoided conflict by sneaking back out again.
What about Justice? If he just sneaked out, there would be no justice for his mother and all the others that those sandpeople have killed. I thought the Jedi supported justice.

He sneaked in because there was a chance to rescue his mother alive. Once that chance dematerialized . . .

LeHah said:
If you were to take that statement and turn the ethnicity into the Irish or Jewish, you'd be seen as a monster, and rightly so. You're justifying the acts of a spree murderer with a heavy ethnic bias. Frank Black would not approve.
A straw man. Easily constructed, easily knocked down. Good for you. :rolleyes: Now I'm a rascist.

These things are pirates, for all intents and purposes. Just about any society will have no tolerance for pirates in the slightest. Most societies gave no quarter to pirates. If they did take them prisoner, they were given a quick trial and a fine hanging.

I don't care if a group of pirates is composed of Jews, Blacks, or Irish/Scottish/mutt Americans like myself; they are still pirates. They deserve their fate, no matter who deals it out to them.

Killing people for what their heritage is or what their skin color is, is WRONG. duh. :rolleyes: Killing people for the evils that they do in this world is justifiable.

LeHah said:
Much like banning your ass for a day or two.
I'm sorry that you cannot tolerate an opposing point of view, no matter how facetiously presented.

Porthos said:
For the record, the first two times I played WCIV, I got the flight instructor ending. :p
I never even saw the ending where you replace Admiral Tolwyn until I used the WC movie viewer for the first time, and at first I thought they included it as a joke & not as a possible ending. :eek:
(I had never before finished the game after having destroyed the Ella superbase with the Flash pack)

Porthos it wasn't a battle, it was a slaughter, an anger driven slaughter. Right or wrong doesn't enter into it, it is the motivation which demonstrates Anakin's suseptability to the dark side.

But for the record it was the most immoral act I could have imagined... I do hope you don't have a gun licence.

Pedro, grow up. I own a rifle. I have yet to kill anyone in the 9 years I've owned it.

EDIT: Most immoral act you can imagine? You must not be a student of history. . .

Porthos said:
I agree that he shouldn't have snapped. He should have calmly killed them all, instead of angrilly killing them all.

Tell me, what is your opinion of the soldier that performs his duty in combat? Is he less of a person?

But he violated the jedi's rules by killing them...

As for the soldier thing, the situation from the movie would be something like this:

Sergeant: Don't kill those civillians

Soldier: Fuck you, sir! I want to kill the civillians... (kills civillians)

Soldier: Now i have killed all the civillians, and to show that i'm really bad i'll join the enemy...

Dyret said:
But he violated the jedi's rules by killing them...

As for the soldier thing, the situation from the movie would be something like this:

Sergeant: Don't kill those civillians

Soldier: Fuck you, sir! I want to kill the civillians... (kills civillians)

Soldier: Now i have killed all the civillians, and to show that i'm really bad ill defect to the enemy...

How were the sandpeople civilians? Because they weren't wearing a uniform?

Come on, people. They lived off the slaughter of innocents. They were pirates, raiders, whatever you wish to call them.

He violated the Jedi's rules by killing them in anger, which I have already said was wrong.

Back