EPISODE 3 Discussion

Delance said:
The odd thing is how the Clone Troopers apparently were aware of the order to kill the Jedi, and the Jedi could not figure this out. It should be easy for the emperor to keep a secret, but not to all those clones.
It might have been a Heart of the Tiger thing - there's no indication that they knew about this order prior to being told to execute it.

The price of not reading the fine print, I guess - had the Jedi reacted to news about the secret army in episode 2 in a manner more cautious than "a secret army, eh? Can we use it?", things might have turned out a bit differently.

Shipgate said:
Couldn't you have just posted the link the to Editing Room's website?

Agreed - I have a very great urge to hit Fellentos repeatedly on the head with an extremely large shovel for posting the content. :p Nevertheless, a good find. :)

Looks like I won't need to go watch Epi 3 then (yes, I STILL haven't seen it yet! - I think I'll wait for the DVD and save myself five pounds visiting the movies :D )

As of late, I've become more involved in Star Wars and its made me more curious about things that I never understood before.

My biggest confusion right now is regarding the clone army. What I don't get, are the storm troopers in episodes 4,5, and 6 supposed to be clones? At first I thought maybe Lucas just made up the clone army for the second movie to bulk it up. But he did write them all at once a long time ago right?

But I never get the impression that in the old movies all those soldiers are clones and yet I've heard it mentioned a couple times that indeed they are. And if they're not, what happened to them? Why would the Emperor stop using them?

Shipgate said:
And if they're not, what happened to them? Why would the Emperor stop using them?

A lot of them die in battles against various rebels. Maybe the empire replaced the dead clones with humans instead of cloning new ones.

No, the Stormies in the movies are real humans not clones. However, I wonder how they got rid of a few million clone troops?

Shipgate said:
My biggest confusion right now is regarding the clone army. What I don't get, are the storm troopers in episodes 4,5, and 6 supposed to be clones?

Some are and some aren't. Cloning is mentioned in OT books (albeit non-canon ones, like the Star Wars Technical Manual) but theres definitely a couple nods to conscription of officers, never soldiers.

Shipgate said:
But I never get the impression that in the old movies all those soldiers are clones and yet I've heard it mentioned a couple times that indeed they are.
If it hadn't been mentioned in Eps. 2 and 3, would you have known that the clone troopers are... well, clone troopers? Clone soldiers don't wear a "clone" sign on their back. As far as we know, even some of the original clone soldiers may still be serving in the Imperial forces in the old trilogy.

It might have been more cost efficient to use human recruits rather than clones. Remember that you have to feed, cloth, shelter, and raise the clones from their accellerated childhood. You also have to maintain the high tech facilities that are necessary. It was necessary to use clones at the beginning because it had to be a secret army. Later, when the Emporer has taken over, he can openly recruit or draft his troops from the population alot more cheaply.

Also, if the Empire is exclusively using clones, they have a vulnerable spot. If the rebel alliance managed to destroy the cloning facilities, the Empire would be seriously hampered. Preventing this would cause the Empire to use up alot of it's forces in defense of this remote base. Due to these reasons, it makes sense that the clone troopers could be phased out.

Mjr. Whoopass said:
Also, if the Empire is exclusively using clones, they have a vulnerable spot. If the rebel alliance managed to destroy the cloning facilities, the Empire would be seriously hampered.
Heh, amusing side-question - immature clones are basically ordinary children. So, would attacking the cloning facilities qualify as killing non-combatants? I mean, it certainly wouldn't be considered acceptable to attack a high school just because the Empire recruits its students, so would it be acceptable to attack a clone school? :p

the clones have implanted instructions, like the "secret order" likely, memory engrams for weapon knowledge and military training are also included.

a clone straight out of the "tank", would probably have full military training in his memory, and his body would have been developed to that of an trained soldier.

the only clone that was raised normally was boba, the second movie highlighted this.

as soon as the clone is walking, it could kill IMHO.

Quarto said:
If it hadn't been mentioned in Eps. 2 and 3, would you have known that the clone troopers are... well, clone troopers?

Possibly. They all perform in a similiarly baffoonish manner.

Yeah, they're horrible shots in Episodes 4-6. They're not good at taking cover either. Both movies seem to show them walking right into the wide open areas. They must've taken the short bus to commando school.

Mace said:
a clone straight out of the "tank", would probably have full military training in his memory, and his body would have been developed to that of an trained soldier.

Not true. The Clones had to be educated. EP2 shows this. Republic Command builds on this. The are probably other sources.

Back