Engine Flame Red or Blue?

Which engine exhaust is better?

• Blue-White Exhaust?

Votes: 38 90.5%
  • Orange-White Exhaust?

Votes: 4 9.5%

• Total voters
Luckily, Paint Shop Pro has a veggie-filter.

It was a choice between what you saw and a music powered Vampire. :)

my two bits

All jet engines when you look at them fron directly behind... assuming they are military at least have red orange engine flame... but since most people dont fly right on their ass in eye level of the tail pipes they dont see them... but if you really want to take a look at some good engine flame, think top Gun just before anyone catipults off the carrier... one they kick in afterburner they have 20ft flames flying out their ass... kinda hard to miss those... but my personal opinion... red for cap ships blue for fighters... cuz blue is faster... and it looks cooler... plus a nice red glow is perfect for lining up a torpedo run...

Originally posted by Wedge009
Hey, yeah, I remember that. Different chemicals burn different colours - which is quite possible if afterburners use a different fuel to the main thrust.

Regular exhaust is set for max efficiency, ie maximum oxidation and highest temp yielding fastest speed without guzzling fuel... afterburner says "fu*k... no time to conserve" such as when youve lost rear shields, and the penny in your pocket is thicker than whats left of your rear armor... and so by dumping massive ammounts fo fuel into the exhaust you gain extra trust, but not fully utilized and so it lowers the temp yielding red orange flame

Try messing about with a Bunsen burner, when the burner is closed you get the yellow flame, open it and you get the oxygen and the hotter blue flame. Of course, the flame does vary due to what you burn, especially if you stick other elements into the hydrocarbons, or indeed, don't use a hydrocarbon fuel (which we should be able to do in the next 600 years).

yet blue is hotter, that is the nature of the electromagnetic spectrum, blue denotes hotter, red colder, that is why the hottest stars are blue, and the coolest are red

Yes, that's because all of the fuel gets burnt in a far smaller space. The yellow flame contains fuel that isn't burnt immediately, hence the larger flame. They both give out the same amount of energy, just the yellow flame is spread out over a wider area.

Re: my two bits

Originally posted by baronfel
All jet engines when you look at them fron directly behind... assuming they are military at least have red orange engine flame... but since most people dont fly right on their ass in eye level of the tail pipes they dont see them... but if you really want to take a look at some good engine flame, think top Gun just before anyone catipults off the carrier... one they kick in afterburner they have 20ft flames flying out their ass... kinda hard to miss those... but my personal opinion... red for cap ships blue for fighters... cuz blue is faster... and it looks cooler... plus a nice red glow is perfect for lining up a torpedo run...

I like the red glow idea. It is what a lot of the ships from WC3/4 used, just no glow.....:( just plain old red......

All this talk of heat and no mention of white flame or (since someone previously mentioned stars) a white dwarf?

Back