• Blue-White Exhaust?

Votes: 38 90.5%
  • Orange-White Exhaust?

Votes: 4 9.5%

• Total voters

CamW

Spaceman
Hey folks. I'm new here. :D

I'm making a WC animated short and I'd like to know which colour is more popular for WC. Blue-white engine flames, or orange-white engine flames? In WC3, engine flames were blue-white, but in WC4 they were orangey-white, and in Prophecy they're not even consistent. In the animations they're white-orange, but in the game they're blue-white.

My movie takes place between WC4 and Prophecy. So... which is good?

:(

Thanks!

I've got news: they're inconsistent in all the games! ;)

I think so anyway.

WC1/2 have blue exhausts, red when afterburning.
Privateer only show exhausts when ships are afterburning - blue for Terran ships, yellow-white for Kilrathi.
I think in general it's blue for Confed, red for Kilrathi - especially in WCP/SO. Nephilim ships exhaust ports are so big - I don't think they have exhaust plumes.

BTW, everything above is in-game.

[For the poll, a blue flame is much hotter than an orange one, so I voted for that. :)]

I know that's how it is in the games, but it seems backwards... after all, blue would indicate a hotter flame :)

Blue-white for me too. It just looks natural. Even modern jets have blue tints in their exhausts

Originally posted by Newcommanderondablock
Blue-white should be there for normal, redish for afterburning, like in WC3 i recon IMHO... :cool:

unfortunatly this is scientifically incorect, considering that as said b4, blue is hotter than redish orange

Originally posted by Napoleon
unfortunatly this is scientifically incorect, considering that as said b4, blue is hotter than redish orange

You're not taking into account two things:

1) This is Wing Commander, not Scientific American.

2) Flames of different temperatures can have many different colors depending on what may or may not be burning in the flame.

Originally posted by Jetlag
Flames of different temperatures can have many different colors depending on what may or may not be burning in the flame.
Hey, yeah, I remember that. Different chemicals burn different colours - which is quite possible if afterburners use a different fuel to the main thrust.

Wow thanks for the replies guys. This will be very helpful.

I remember in chemistry a few years back our teacher showed us different flame colours depending on the elements he burnt... I forgot which elements but some burned blue, orange, and even green!

Anyway, I think the overwhelming majority here is blue-white. :)

Thanks again!!! Keep replying anyway, I want more opinions on this. Scientific or otherwise is good.

Originally posted by Wedge009
Hey, yeah, I remember that. Different chemicals burn different colours - which is quite possible if afterburners use a different fuel to the main thrust.

I've noticed that, in a campfire, if you light up some glossy magazine pages/ads for kindling/etc. some of 'em burn green! Is that cool, or what?....

Therefore, I vote is for green flame, even though it ain't on the menu (it should be). :)

The green flame is because of the prescence of Cupper (Cu++). a red-violet one can be because of sodium (Na+).

Wait, okay here's this: Even though the engines burn blue-white in most of the games, does the type of engine affect the exhaust? From WC1-4 they were using what? Ion engines that burned a stored fuel source? From WC4-WCP they were using M/AM (matter/anti-matter) engines right? That explains the red (WC4 Dragon fighter) and blue (WCP fighters) bussard collector intakes doesn't it?

Would those engine types change the colour of the exhaust?

That's my guess. Since before WC4's Dragon fighter, the fighters in WC never had any bright glowy intakes so I'm assuming in WCP it's the same as WC4's Dragon fighter (which DID have a M/AM engine) which signify's the presence of a M/AM engine.

Maybe *is* the game´s engine (Vision), but i´m not so sure that all the WCP fighters have M/AM engines, they are costly, and as the manual said some senators want to cut the military budget.

In the WC4 novel segment I got with my manual, it stated how post-war Confed was keen on saving gas. M/AM reactor engines would be expensive, but in the long run they'd be incredibly fuel efficient since they use little fuel at all. That's why you could fly around indefinetly (though no afterburners) in a Dragon (could you do that in WCP? I forgot). Logically, I think M/AM engines are more of a cost-saver than fuel engines.

Back