Defiance's Eyecandy Thread

It's a quiver full of arrows! Well ok maybe 2 isn't really that many. We have two flavors of F-27 on the menu today, the WC4 Confed green version (now with extra arugula) and the under gunned but over-painted Piratical version: which really doesn't get nearly enough love in my opinion, either WC4 where I think it only cameos in a single mission; or in fan productions in favor of more distinct ships like the Razor or Demon.

Confed:
confedarrowFin1.jpgconfedarrowFin2.jpgconfedarrowFin3.jpg

Pirate:
pirarrowFin1.jpgpirarrowFin2.jpgpirarrowFin3.jpgpirarrowFin4.jpg

Ha, about time - I mean, it's great to give Howard a thumbs-up five times a day, but some variety is nice... ;)

Man, it's great seeing all the activity on this forum lately. Granted, it's really mainly just Howard and Defiance, but it's great stuff. I really wish I had the time to join in the fun again. Ok, I'll shut up now and get back to crunching on my current work project…

Ha, about time - I mean, it's great to give Howard a thumbs-up five times a day, but some variety is nice... ;)

Man, it's great seeing all the activity on this forum lately. Granted, it's really mainly just Howard and Defiance, but it's great stuff. I really wish I had the time to join in the fun again. Ok, I'll shut up now and get back to crunching on my current work project…

Well @Howard Day 's work does deserve the kudos. But yeah - I'm a total slacker... :p

Oodles of Doodles. One of the advantages of having all day mandatory training is that you have time to do some doodling...not that I'd ever recommend anyone do that of course, your full attentions should always be on your course work...

Anyway I started noodling on what a Wildcat might look like, as a predecessor to the Hellcat it should share some design similarities but would look a bit more anime styled ala WC1/2. So I worked from there. The end result isn't really that I don't think but it did come out looking alot like what a regular F-45 Hellcat might look like in Super Wing Commander. So yeah here is my SWC Hellcat doodle....that I totally did on my lunch break...C&C Welcome as always

SWC_HellcatDoodle1.jpg
SWC_HellcatDoodle2.jpg
SWC_HellcatDoodle3.jpg
SWC_HellcatDoodle4.jpg
SWC_HellcatDoodle5.jpg

That looks nice! The trouble with it is that when you take the Hellcat in that direction, you end up with something oddly similar to the SWC Rapier. I do really love the backward spiky things over and under the wings, though! No idea what purpose they could possibly serve, but they do look cool. And, I suppose, that's really purpose enough, right? :)

@Quarto Yeah it definitely has that Rapier vibe to it - So it isn't distinct enough to fit in the SWC canon per se - considering how wacky they all are. But that's why I gave it the single vertical stabilizer, which is practically unknown in WC 1-3 and SWC. But it does kind of fill a niche between the SWC Hornet and a Scimitar(demon). The backwards spikey things were just a stylistic choice...er I mean they maintain the super-quantum hydro-spatial tachyon field in a state of partial flux; which, as we all know, is essential for the safe operation of space craft at the speeds in which they operate...

I got noodling on my doodling again (sorry it's been a long week already). And the things that to me say "this is a Hellcat" are the downward pointing wing tips, squared-off and stubby nose, overall delta shape, and 3 main drives. Otherwise it's a Bearcat XD. So I didn't want to just throw a 3rd engine on the back, it would ruin the tail assembly, so I tried offsetting an engine along the centerline. Above the hull oddly caused the ship to look A) too much like a viper and B) it kind of messed up the lines. So I stuck the engine on the ventral hull and I think it looks pretty good - it blends in better with the lines and gives it a bit of "meat" on the tail section. The change necessitated moving the canards outboard a bit but it gives them a secondary purpose as additional protection for the 3rd engine. Finally because this is a WC1/2 version it needed external missile pylons - so I gave it 2x Javelin and 2X Darts for fun which would pair nicely with the 4x laser cannons. (I figure this would be a medium fighter somewhere between a Hornet and a Scimitar).

WildcatDoodle2_Wip1.jpg

WildcatDoodle2_Wip2.jpg

WildcatDoodle2_Wip3.jpg

WildcatDoodle2_Wip4.jpgWildcatDoodle2_Wip5.jpgWildcatDoodle2_Wip6.jpg

@Wojo I dunno, yours has a nice movie vibe to it. As a rule I tend to forget the movie designs exist only because they're so hard to reconcile with any other existing WC design - except the other movie designs. But if you wanted to play in that universe (yes I know they're the same - but my artistic head canon doesn't do well with cognitive dissonance evidently), the Wildcat you've got fits in pretty well there. Maybe it's the shark mouth but it has just a hint of Thunderbolt in it too. :)

I agree with @Star Rider - there's no bad designs here...unless you're Quarto and we're discussing Hellcats. :p (It's all love @Quarto)

Hey, I have lots of love for the Hellcat. To be precise, it's a ship I love to hate ;).
The Hellcat I can take or leave... The Epee on the other hand... I loathe with an unbridled passion. That being said however, it did redeem itself in Standoff.

The Hellcat I can take or leave... The Epee on the other hand... I loathe with an unbridled passion. That being said however, it did redeem itself in Standoff.

I have to echo this sentiment. The Hellcat is the definition of average, nothing to hate, nothing to love (although I am rather fond of the design) but the epee is a flying coffin.

No one has ever denied that the Epee is a flying coffin. The only "but" about it is that the Epee works genuinely well in WCP, where shields bounce you off, and horridly badly in WC2... and unfortunately, WC2 is the canonical Epee experience. However, the Epee may be a death trap, but it's by far one of the best-looking death traps in the series :).

I think the Epee's looks and initial attractiveness are actually what makes it so horribly disappointing in WC2. You love it when you first set your eyes on it (and WC2's takeoff sequences do a fantastic job of introducing new ships, better than pretty much any other WC game). You take off, you get into the first combat, and you loooove it even more, because you see the ITTS system in action, and you see how fast and manoeuvrable you are, and you see your powerful guns… and then you die. Ok, you figure, unlucky fluke, let's try that again. And you die again. And again. And again. And then… then you finally understand.

This cycle from love to disappointment is made all the more powerful by the fact that after the Ferret (a lovely ship, but the lightest possible type of fighter) and the Rapier (a has-been from a bygone era), the Epee is the first time you really get to try a shiny new WC2-era fighter in action. They positioned the Epee in such a way that the expectations are pretty big, making reality a really bitter pill.

Speaking of the Ferret, why is the Ferret more liked then the Epee? The Epee is basicly the Ferret 2.0 and I liked the Epee more then the Ferret.
Also I have to get to the point where you fly the Epee again, I remeber that I actualy liked flying the Epee...even if it was a hell of a ride because you could only hit and run with that thing.
Maybe I will change my mind when I get to the point of my playthrough but from memory I would take the Epee over the Ferret every day.

The Ferret is faster, has a smaller profile, and almost double the armor plating. The two advantages that the epee has is it's I.T.T.S and Missiles. You could argue Particle Cannons also, but I prefer the Ferret's Mass Drivers in WC2 as they have a better firing rate. As far as looks when I first flew it in game back in 1996 The Ferret was like a cross between the X-Wing, and OG BSG Viper.

Epee plays similarly to a TIE Fighter or A-Wing, where you have to keep your speed up and maneuver constantly to avoid being hit. Which can make missions with it frustrating in no small part due to friendly fire from wing men trying to hit the same target as you but shooting you in the back instead. The S01 Mission in Rigel when you answer the distress call from the Kamekh with Sky, and Shelton can be a downright nightmare.

Last edited:
Back