cloaking question

I'd pay money to see a Fast Strike Heavy Carrier... I mean... that'd just be sweet

TC

A 'cloak' would actually be much like a shield, only the effects are so strong the light gets warped. I'd actually infer that a cloak is electromagnetic in some respects, rather than gravitational. (must be a VERY strong field then)

Either way, there would be a 'frequency' as EVERYTHING can have a frequency, some just higher than others. (notice how at certain speeds, one part of a car may rattle, yet increase the revs and other parts rattle, but not the first one) All you would have to do is somehow match this energy frequency and you could punch a hole straight through the cloak.

Everything does have a frequency, but that doesn't help when theres a field missmatch. AS LOAF pointed out, the cloaks are gravitaional, and the weapons are elctromagnetic. This missmatch will prevent you from firing while cloaked.

If anything is more accurate, the way cloaking is depicted on ST would stand out as being more scientifically true since they have, and still do, consult NASA scientists, JPL techs and such. I dont recall anyone at EA/OSI or anyone else who created WC to have consulted with real world scientists to gather information and ideas on how such a device would work. Dont get me wrong, but fiction novels and games dont always follow trends of actual science and applied physics. Producing an electromagnetic field that switches at the same frequency of light doesnt involve gravity at all. If it did, you would in effect be creating a black hole or artificial singularity. That in itself would require such powerfull containment fields just to keep itself in check, much less produce the required field to "bend" surrounding light. So producing a gravity well of sorts to bend light not only would tear the craft apart, but the intensity of that field would fry the pilot, like an egg in a microwave oven! Think about it!

RFBurns

Ya that is a whole nother deal all together, I mean if gravity is involved generating a cloak, wouldnt the incomming fire either get "sucked" into that gravity field or "pushed" away? The fire should either vanish from sight while it makes contact with the cloaked ship or simply get deflected by it like shields would. Besides, the cloak field would be way stronger than shields would since that cloak field needs to actually bend the light or bounce the light off the ship. Very interesting subject!

RFBurns

We know specifically how the cloaking devices work, though -- so how NASA makes the *real* spacecraft invisible doesn't really factor into this (note, sarcasm!)

I guess the way they work in the WC world follows the fiction rather than applied theories in the *real* sense of applied scientific physics. Either way, cloaks are useless when the enemy can detect em! Id rather have all that extra energy for engines and weapons instead of a useless cloak that everyone can see!! :)

RFBurns

Yeah some of us hard core science type dudes tend to go a bit far on explaining technology depicted in games! It is indeed, just a game! :)

RFBurns

(I still say cloaks are useless when enemies can see you!)

If the gravity effect pulls our own shots towards us, then it would *also* pull things that enter it towards us, wouldn't it:)?

Yep! Like those bulky asteroids floating all over the place, or that blind wingman who likes to run into you and your missles!

RFBurns

Originally posted by RFBurns
Yeah some of us hard core science type dudes tend to go a bit far on explaining technology depicted in games! It is indeed, just a game! :)

RFBurns

(I still say cloaks are useless when enemies can see you!)

Yes, but finding explanations for these things is fun.

Best, Raptor

Back