Chris Roberts

Quarto,

1. Agreed.

2. The Kilrathi did all but destroy Confed planets (Hawk's homeworld) with conventional methods and also used unconventional methods, like Bio-Weapons (WC3) or Radiocative (Fleet Action). But I do think how it's acceptable to use such weapons depends on the circumstances, which leads to the next topic.

3. I think the Kilrathi were a terrible threat, but a the same time I'm not at all convinced that they would win the war if they conquered Earth. We can assume that most of the Confed fleet would try to stop the Kilrathi fleet as it happened before. But, even if the Confed fleet fails, that doesn't mean that it's wiped out, or that the Kilrathi fleet would remain strong enought to conquer the rest of Confed. Despite the losing endgame, it's nice to think Confed could beat them in Proxima. And we also know the decentralized nature of Confed and, well, mankind in general would render the destruction of Earth less damaging the the destruction of Kilrah.

4. That's interesting. Indeed, it looks like the G.E. program was more palatable on WC, as it at least existed for long enought to be cancelled, unlike the Gen-Select. The "strong shall survive" is ultimately a primary universal tautology, in the sense that those who actually survive were the "strong" ones.

If the Kilrathi were interested in simply conquering humanity, you may have a point. They didn't want to merely conquer humanity, though, but utterly destroy it; it's much easier to dust a world with "dirty" nukes or bioweapons that render the entire planet almost completely uninhabitable than to capture and garrison it, and requires a much lesser investment after the fact (after all, why guard piles of radioactive or biohazardous debris?). Besides the 7 Hakagas that came online after the BoT, there were also multiple dreadnaughts, of which even one was considered a grave threat that needed immediate attention (False Colors), as well as gobs of more conventional capships.

All the "eugenics" stuff has been moved to the bottom.

That's an excellent point, and I completely agree with you. The T-Bomb didn't sound that expensive, but the Behemoth could've mean the carriers necessary for Confed to win the war with conventional means.

Again, though, the development of the T-Bomb is clearly supposed to be an analogue for the Manhattan Project, which was one of the most expensive research projects in history (it's probably second next to Project Apollo).

Inventing, building and deploying a bomb capable of destroying a planet in a matter of weeks would have been very, very expensive.

The might've resulted in genocide, but the objective was not it. Regardless, it's clear Blair's disposition to nuke Kilrah improved after he had more reasons to hate the Kilrathi.

No, we already established the opposite - the intention *was* genocide, it *was* to wipe out the Kilrathi home planet... the weapon was developed, the plan made without any knowledge of the Grand Fleet or its intentions.

Again, I agree with you: Blair could not know that with absolute certainty, neither could anyone on Confed like Tolwyn, Paladin, Confed Intel and Confed HQ. This information is known only to the gamers, because we know the alternate ending, but that bears no effect to the characters. This also means that the research on the subject was not necessarily accurate.

The exception here, of course, is Tolwyn's computer analysis -- which is a rhetorical device specifically to tell us about the future. It must be taken more seriously than, say, Rollins' ranting about something.

Agreed, I might have been overly dramatic about the extermination of all mankind. But we can’t discard the possibility that mankind might not survive forever under Kilrathi rule, much less thrive. And since they were not interested in keeping more slaves, since they seem to have no shortage of them. They would not be so caring in handling the occupation and minimizing loss of life.

But when we weight in the damage caused by the T-Bomb, it’s also not equal to the extermination of all Kilrathi, but the destruction of their homeworld, and most of their fleet around it. If anything, the Kilrathi were much better off surrendering than Mankind would ever be. More to the point, there is good reason to assume Thrakkath was more interested in destroying Earth than making it a colony or a beach house, since apparently Kilrathi doesn’t like water. Do they lick themselves? Do they spit hairballs?

Eh, I don't like the color silver but I'm not going to go smashing every silver car I can find. Thrakhath will present Earth for the Sivar because his grandfather ordered him to (or destroy it in the fighting, if that becomes necessary), that's probably a given.

It's not speaking to every water planet in the universe, though. You're right that the Kilrathi don't like water planets... but that doesn't mean the destroy them. Look at Venice -- they just built a space station for themselves to live on and continued to enslave the world.

I don't agree with the 'possibility' aspect at all, though. "We don't know what will happen" is a poor excuse upon which to base murder.

Now, here's a rub for you: we (not Blair) *do* know that the destruction of Kilrah calls forth the Nephilim, who kill millions more humans immediately and at present stand a good chance of wiping us all out (unlike the Kilrathi they *aren't* interested in slaves). What's the solution with that knowledge? Surrender, suffer slavery and avoid the Nephilim?

Because they are not the same ideology at all. Making a projection that mankind was about to lose the war to the Kilrathi did not require any ideology. Radio Rollins could do that for you for free. It was a statement of fact. It had absolutely, absolutely nothing to do with eugenics at all.

I’m not disputing the overall concept that another major threat might appear in the future, and that Confed should prepare batter for that. Again, this still has nothing to do with ideology. You can know all those things.

Eugenics, on the other hand, are ideology, and a very bad one. More importantly, they are demonstrably wrong and don’t work in the way their defenders claim, and the WC game acknowledges this fact. More on this later.

But Wing Commander doesn’t say, anywhere, that using bio-weapons would make mankind stronger, that Paulsen’s and Tolwyn’s speeches were factually correct, and that eugenics would’ve helped defeat the Space Bugs.

Tolwyn and Paulsen said all those things, but they are not true. He’s the bad guy, the villain, not everything he says at this capacity must be acknowledge as unquestionable truth. Thrakkath tells the emperor everything is fine and Confed has no chance of averting destruction, but we know he is wrong about his facts.

When the villain of the game says things to justify the action that the game itself declares are wrong, we have no reason to assume that the ‘science’ behind this justification is beyond questioning. While the specific issue might not have been specifically addressed, it’s not far fetched to assume it was deemed wrong when Tolwyn was persecuted and conicted for his actions in trying to implement his ideology. Politically, his ideas were rejected, what demands the existence of an opposing set of ideas negating his, even if they are not made explicit.

No, Wing Commander *does* say that bio-weapons will make mankind stronger - in Tolwyn's speech.

This is one of the absolute staples of criticism: you can not ever simply decide that a character is lying to you without internal evidence supporting such a claim. Fiction just doesn't work that way and the process of thinking about it in any intelligent manner falls apart when you allow that to occur.

It's also not how writing works. You don't have characters lie without an end -- especially in a visual medium where establishing that something is a lie is very, very, very difficult.

It is taken as gospel that if Mr. X is lying about Y then this has to be somehow revealed internally. Otherwise, for our purpose it would simply be a continuity error: space ships don't fly like that! Genetic engineering isn't real!, etc. -- which is another, much lowlier form of discussion.

All right, now I understand you, and I’ll try to explain it on a throughout manner.

The claims made by Tolwyn are not novel and don’t involve any speculative technology. The only new science WC in this regard is the nano-tech weapon. Gen-Select device, on itself, is a sci-fi tech that exists because WC tell us, like jump drives.

See, you shot yourself in the foot right now... his claims aren't new except that they involve a magic future technology whose extent we can't understand. External entirely to Tolwyn but an open part of the Wing Commander universe is the fact that there *is* a science of "bioconvergence" that must be skirting the edges of exactly what you call eugenics.

That’s also what gangster do, use deadly force to keep authorities from learning the existence of an illegal activity. Why can’t he be both? We know the project was illegal, and it was never legit. It was done against direct instructions of the senate. The G.E. program was cancelled, and the Senate never approved the development or use of Bio-Tech weapons.

Who he was keeping the secret from? Confed’s enemies? No. He was keep it secret from the legitimate Confed leadership who had the authority and the right to know what was happening. And that’s not even remotely what the military do.

If a Faction of the US Air Force was shooting down American Commercial Airplanes to justify the use of a Bio-Weapon against an American interest, and this was completely unknown and in fact against direct orders from the legitimate leadership of the US, and an American Air Force Colonel killed someone to prevent them from revealing this plot to the US Senate, I don’t think it would be classified as a legitimate order.

The ‘gangster’ part might have been a little dramatic exaggeration, but there was nothing legitimate or regular on that action.

Gangsters commit illegal acts in order to make a monetary profit, though, which has nothing to do with Seether. From my perspective this is yet another case of you deciding a word has some negative connotation so it must apply to whoever you think is the ultimate bad guy.

But the game, where the murdering with gusto and maniacal laughter happened, are also part of the continuity. At least during this moments he was, well, like that, because the game shows it.

Oh, he *laughed*? Well, that proves he was guilty of whatever you said and wasn't actually a military officer! Do me a favor and do not sit on any juries.

Well, I agree with most of what you say here. Tolwyn was crazy, and he believed that he was doing the right thing. We know he was not. If you can agree with me here, I’d see no reason for further disagreement on that regard.

About Wilford, you must look back to the moment where he ordered the Raid. He suspected there was some conspiracy against the Border Worlds that would lead to a war with Confed. If such a war was to break, the militia would be in desperate need for weapons, and raiding a confed shipyard would be a legitimate move. However, war didn’t break out, and it become a petty act of piracy. The basic goal of acquiring weapons to protect civilians against aggressions is not wrong on itself, even tough the means were.

I don't see how a pre-emptive strike could ever *become* legitimate -- especially since your entire operation is based on doing your darndest to prove that you're innocent and should not have war declared against you in the first place. The sheer stupidity of the Speradon operation boggles the mind, especially in retrospect when you know that the Border Worlds *did* know that the war was being incited by a fringe group.

If the raid had been launched ten minutes after the Senate declared war it would have been fine... but deciding to attack someone because they might be your enemies someday is crazy.

That on a practical level. In abstract, "sheer, poorly plotted opportunism" is much, much better than the "ideology" in question could ever be, and we know that because “ideology” has killed much, much more people in much worse ways than opportunism ever did.

Eh, that's a silly thing to say - because ideology in some form or another is a constant. (It just means 'thinking'.) The Border Worlds' had their own ideology -- that they should be allowed to leave the Confederation... and apparently take whatever they wanted from it. It's not a case of there being some kind of amazing ideological vacuum on one side.

No misappropriation of funds? How unimaginative. Confed Back Projects must have an incredible budget. Confed craft, BW craft, Expensive Heavy Fighters with exotic engines , fission guns and built-in cloaking capability, the Pelius device, the Flashpak, Bio-Weapons, an Infantry battalion, fashion-designed black uniforms, a hidden space base, mercenaries.

Well, maybe, after the Behemoth, that was peanuts.

Again, Delance, you're being stupid about Tolwyn. He's *evil* now, so he must be stealing money? Nations have giant budgets for exactly this type of project. Look at the Manhattan Project, mentioned earlier in this thread -- $20 billion (modern) spent in three years, none of it explained to Congress. After a 35 year war you'll certainly have a Senate that knows it can't ask questions in public.

Now, that said, the vast majority of these things were war-era projects that Tolwyn simply gathered the fruit of: the flashpak, the fision gun, the GE personnel, the cloaking device, the jammer and the Lance were all war era research.

Other aspects weren't even so secret - Project units operated off the Lexington and the Princeton in the guise of a legitimate 'Kilrathi weapons' research project (that, presumably, had its own budget item... which would probably cover the various Confederation and Border Worlds fighters they operated under the pretense of testing weaponry on them).

The Gen-Select weapon was based on existing research (I mean, Maniac knew about it!) and it was developed by a prisoner in an existing space lab... and then reproduced in a war-era covert research base (Axius).

Of your list that just leaves the uniforms (which I assume was a joke, but it's a good marker for all the 'etc' involved) and the mercenaries as a 'black budget' item. (And lets face it, hiring a mercenary in Wing Commander isn't hard or expensive... and have you ever questioned the morality of the Privateer mission computer telling you that RandomCompany needs a blockade buster?)

Existence of a declaration of war, simple and straightforward.

Throw that out - the Empire never recognized any declaration of war and, in fact, had no diplomatic ties with the Terran Confederation. (Also, for a counter-pinch, note that Tolwyn *was* being careful about attacking further planets with the bioweapon until war had been declared: he's very careful about this in the novel.)

2. Strategic Value, unsure about Hyperion, none for Telamon

I would say that we were "unsure" about either of them. Their placement in the universe could or could not be important depending on how the conflict evolves in the future... but I think both *are* strategic from a 'thread' perspective. That is to say Telamon is strategic because you force the Border Worlds to deploy their limited resources there to care for the situation (for an extended period of time - the Intrepid spends more time enforcing a blockade in the Telamon System than it does the rest of WC4 combined)... Hyperion is strategic because it can be used as a 'threat', to force the Kilrathi to consider surrendering before Kilrah is attacked (although this doesn't seem to have been followed up on at all - it did later become strategic because the out-of-the-way system was used as a staging area).

6 and 7. The declared overall objective of the T-Bomb was to win the war by the means of blowing up Klrah, while the declared objecvice of the Gen-Select was active eugenics, i.e., killing certain people deemed unfit to live. If the overall objective was to improve mankind this way, in order to win future that would presumably require some kind of wide deployment of this weapon, but that is never revealed. The only mention I remember is when Blair, without rebuttal, speaks of billions.

And note, then, that billions aren't especially significant -- compared to a Kilrathi War that killed ten trillion people (combined).

9. While I assume the development and use of the T-Bomb was granted by the Confed leadership, we know for certain that the contrary can be said about the Gen-Select device.

Again, I *doubt* the T-Bomb was something anyone knew about -- ask a senator in 1943 if the country is developing an Atomic Bomb... (and, of course, you can apply the same fact to the GE weapon -- ultimately it's only the executive who needs to know what's in the black budget.)

We can assume that, inside WCU, despite the polemic around it, the T-Bomb was found to be generally acceptable weapon because, while the Gen-Select was not. In all likehood, this is the case in both in the senate and on the mainstream public opinion, considering the reactions shown towards those weapons.

Wrong - we can be sure that the Temblor Bomb was *not* found to be a 'generally acceptable' weapon. We specifically see a Confederation giving the Kilrathi vast post-war reparations in False Colors because it feels guilty about the kind of weapon it used to end the war.

When Blair became aware about the situation, he did something about it. Seether, however, knew what it was about all along. Blair was not a willing participant on the activies of the Black Lance and was being deceived. Can you say the same about Seether? Was him being deceived? Did he fought against the conspiracy once he knew the truth? Did he make an effort to warn the Senate about forbidden bio-weapons, as was the duty of any military officer?

No, he didn't. Blair found out about 'the situation' from Maniac after 'rescuing' the biochemist. He stays with the Confederation for quite a while after this point -- he attacks Border Worlds shipping, captures a science lab for Tolwyn's project and shoots down rebel fighters left and right. It's his friend and commanding officer being in danger that causes him to defect, not some grand seated understanding of the universe.

Seether's friend and commanding officer, on the other hand, is Admiral Tolwyn.

No, you misunderstood me. I was not talking about the part that claims that Confed is going to lose a war. But the remedy prescribed. Blowing up the enemy homeworld is self-evidently a means to win the war, or at least cripple the enemy. But you could never know for sure until you tried. It was tested, and it worked. Using bio-weapons against yourself was not really ever tested at all on the WCU, and there’s no way to know for sure it would produce the desired result.

Well, this falls into the "we don't really know that" category and so isn't a fact.

Besides, it can’t be the same process, because he had very detailed information about the Kilrathi and what was to be required to defeat them. There was no such thing for the Nephilim. As you demonstrated, Confed has known about them for even before the Kilrathi war, but they didn’t have a lot of details. If Tolwyn knew, for example, that blowing up Kilrah would spawn Space Bugs, he might have factored in on his research that doing that was a bad idea. But this part about the amount of information they have is not important to my point, because I don’t disagree at all with the notiont that Confed was at risk of losing the war.

The important thing to note here, of course, is that the T-Bomb was not Tolwyn's project... and that Tolwyn's project (the Behemoth) involved destroying the planet's surface rather than the planet itself.

The problem, again, is the part about the eugenics. And, as matter of fact, we know it’s wrong! Confed fared very well against the Space Bugs so far in two major encounters (or one, depending on how you see WCP and WCSO). And Confed did defeat the Space Bugs without ever using bio-weapons as prescribed by Tolwyn. This prediction wasn’t correct.

Well, no, they didn't -- Confed discovered a fleet that it claimed it could not possibly defeat and had millions of its civilians killed by a simple RIF group.

The only way to prove with certainty that Tolwyn’s research was completely correct would be to have Confed lose the war against the Space Bugs because it didn’t perform the eugenics, and to have mankind facing extinction, *because that’s what Tolwyn predicted would happen*.

And since *that didn’t happen at all*, we can’t say the eugenics part was right with certainty. And that’s all I was saying.

Tolwyn tells us that without using Eugenics to “discard certain elements” and be made strong, mankind would “face extinction”, and to really accept this as unquestionable truth would require mankind to lose the next war and be destroyed with absolute certainty.

Tolwyn’s research says the species that is weak faces extinction. But then you made a good point that to be weak and lose a war to the Kilrathi would NOT mean mankind was going to face extinction. If that’s the case, it goes against he most important part of his entire argument.

If anything, and Tolwyn’s research was absolutely correct, being strong and winning the war could never brought about a far worse enemy, what *did* happen after Kilrah was blown up *according to his plans*. And also losing the war, being weak, would mean necessary mean facing extinction, what, according to you, wouldn’t happen.

WC tells us that being strong does not necessarily improve the probablity of survival (Space Bugs because we beat the Kilrathi), and being weak doesn’t necessarily contribute to extinction (Defeat on the Kilrathi war does not equal extinction).

What this boils down to is that we don't know how the events started in Prophecy end yet... but that's not effective rhetoric, since it's simply an unknown.

Even after WCP, very, very little is known about the space bugs. Confed didn’t knew on WC3 that, for example, that blowing up Kilrah would bring them against us. Besides, I was not making an argument against the idea that the Space Bugs were a big threat.

As displayed above, the predictions that mankind would necessarily lose the war against an enemy worse than the Kilrathi without eugenics, which was what Tolwyn was saying, have been proven wrong. The condition that would prove it right is if Mankind loses a war and faces extinction because it didn’t do eugenics.

Well, no, they haven't, because we don't win the war with the Nephilim -- we simply see it start (which would seem to prove that Tolwyn was actually right about that aspect.)

It does shows that if Blair fails to deliver the T-Bomb, or is unable to acquire it, the Confed loses the war. But that’s a fairly irrelevant point to our current discussion.

It doesn't even show that, because there's simply no way for Wing Commander III to show anything that doesn't involve Blair. What if Blair doesn't drop the T-Bomb and then fights in a traditional campaign against the Grand Fleet where he's responsible for turning the tide of the battle (as he as done so many times in the past)? There's no way to know - 'the losing endgame says!' doesn't cover such a scenario at all.

I fully agree. The same goes when people tell Blair that Confed would lose the war if he fails this or that mission. Or when Tolwyn claims that, without eugenics, mankind would lose the war to a future enemy. The future enemy shows up, and Confed wins the battle without ever using gen-select.

No, they don't. Prophecy ends with the claim that the fleet on the other side of the Kilrah Gate is so large that the only way to save the day is to block it from passing through. Secret Ops ends with the claim that the Nephilim can open wormholes fairly regularly.

When and how were still open questions, I assume. What is the source of this info, I want to read it (of course I’m not doubting you, I just really curious).

Action Stations.

Eugenics, on the other hand, is not even a scientific concept at all, much less sound, but an ideology, and that’s why it’s not needed to be countered on scientific level. I assume this was so self-evident the authors felt no need to make overt claims.

I don’t debate that the technology of the Gen-Select is scientifically sound and exists on WC, it does what it’s supposed to do, kill people by actively selecting the ones that doesn’t fit a certain criteria.

The eugenics ideology behind the makeup of this weapon are a completely different deal, and they are not the same as the science and technology behind it.

Your basic idea is not wrong and I’m not disagreeing with it.

I’m simply pointing out that the eugenics ideology is not part of the science and technology part of WC we must assume to be true, but a set of beliefs particular to Tolwyn and the Black Lance that are not shared by the rest of Characters and Factions, and we shouldn’t assume them to be universally held true.

As you recall, all of the eugenics ideology was merely a theory, it never happened. It was never put in practice on the WCU A theory that was never tested can’t be said to work for certainty. The gen-select device works perfectly and kills the people it’s supposed to kill, but we never, ever see the supposed results of race improvement.

By itself, the fact that it was never put to the test allow us to know it is merely a theory at best and that it can’t be know with certainty that it works.

Most important, we also know that Tolwyn’s ideas are not universally accepted as true because, upon hearing them, the majority of the senate rejects them. It’s reasonable to assume that opposing views exist on WC that eugenics work is not an universally accept truth, and that no one questions it. Wing Commander does certainly does not say that.

And if Eugenics is not a belief universally held to be true by everyone on Wing Commander, we know for a fact that there is at least a possibility that it’s wrong.

That’s not the same thing at all. You want to know what’s the same? The logic applied to compare Wing Commander III to World War II and Wing Commander IV to World War II. Also, the same logic that compares the T-Bomb from Wing Commander with a 20th Century nuclear weapon is the same that compares Eugenics from Wing Commander with 20th Century Eugenics.

And it’s quite clear that the Gen-Select do work and kills the people its designed to kill. It’s a tech that exists in WC and not right now, like space fighters traveling faster than light. There’s no dispute about this. But all we ever see the Gen Select do is to kill people. The tech works. But if, as you say, they couldn’t *completely trust* the research indicating Confed was inevitably going to lose the war without the use of the T-Bomb or the Behemoth, then the same can be said about the research indicating that Confed would lose a future war without the use of the Gen-select.

That has nothing to do with post-World War 2 politically correct scientist. Any one of those would attempt to disregard specific genocides and eugenics that were politically incorrect to criticize.

This has absolutely nothing to do with Tolwyn being small or big. I understand that might’ve been the focus of the debate in times past, but that doesn’t alter the reality that his ideas are wrong now and wrong inside the WCU. Defending the feasibility of eugenics inside WC won’t ever do any good to Tolwyn’s image.

Of course Tolwyn and a lot of other people believed it could work. And they do say how, by killing people that don’t fit the criteria fed to the gen-select device, so it’s in no way beyond any of our thinking in the matter. What is described on WC to great extent is exactly the same we have today, with superior technology. The principle behind it is no different at all.

More importantly, nothing on WC says that Tolwyn’s ideas on eugenics were universally accepted and everyone in Confed agreed with them, and if that was the case, there would be no need to hide them. Tolwyn was found guilty, his ideas were presented and rejected. This means, to the very least, that people who disagree with Tolwyn on this matter do exist. If even the bombing of Kilrah is subject to debate, to presume that there would be a general consensus on this subject is far fetched.

No it doesn’t, but there’s no indication it does. But the fact is that what they were discussing, killing a lot of people based on predetermined standards is scientifically achievable today. They just use nanotechnology to do that, instead of machineguns.

Eugenics is not a science, it’s an ideology. No amount of perfection would make it *work*, it would only make it kill people with better technology, which is precisely what happens on WCIV.

^^ that's everything you said about eugnics... a word that is not mentioned once in Wing Commander IV. I appreciate your need to attach a modern philosphy to Wing Commander, but you're confused. No one is saying (and no one has ever said) that Tolwyn is doing the right thing in slaughtering people.

What we are claiming is that there is no evidence that his plan was scientifically flawed. All the characters seem happy to accept that the study of genetics and bioconvergence (something we don't even have!) by the 27th century has lead to the understanding that whatever Tolwyn's philosophy (which you liken to eugenics -- which I think is a bad analogy, since scientists today are becoming less and less squemish about that 'philosophy' in terms of identifying genetic defects and such) is, however *morally wrong* it is, it is not based on some kind of foolish pretense.

There's no claim that Tolwyn was stupid. There's no intended irony in Wing Commander IV. The idea is that you fight through the game and then laugh because his goal was impossible -- that lessens the idea in the first place. The threat that he *could* build the warrior race is supposed to be terrifying, not the idea that he's some happy go lucky killer out to finish off the human race by accident.

Bandit LOAF said:
Again, though, the development of the T-Bomb is clearly supposed to be an analogue for the Manhattan Project, which was one of the most expensive research projects in history (it's probably second next to Project Apollo).

I agree, but wasn’t the Behemoth even more expensive in comparison?

Bandit LOAF said:
Inventing, building and deploying a bomb capable of destroying a planet in a matter of weeks would have been very, very expensive.

If all the cash was spent on those few weeks, then couldn’t say the T-Bomb took too many resources that could’ve gone to front line ships, like the Behemoth?

No, we already established the opposite - the intention *was* genocide, it *was* to wipe out the Kilrathi home planet... the weapon was developed, the plan made without any knowledge of the Grand Fleet or its intentions.

All right, the Grarnd Fleet was there, incidentally, and it was known on that briefing. What I do wonder is if they would’ve used the weapon if they didn’t think they were losing the war, or about to.

The exception here, of course, is Tolwyn's computer analysis -- which is a rhetorical device specifically to tell us about the future. It must be taken more seriously than, say, Rollins' ranting about something.

Which we also established was not infallible, since it was possible that mankind would not lose the war without destroying Kilrah.

Eh, I don't like the color silver but I'm not going to go smashing every silver car I can find. Thrakhath will present Earth for the Sivar because his grandfather ordered him to (or destroy it in the fighting, if that becomes necessary), that's probably a given.

On a side not, I did hope Blair would push a side arm and kill Thrakkath on the losing cutscene. And that was a very violent and graphic death to a video game using FMV.

It's not speaking to every water planet in the universe, though. You're right that the Kilrathi don't like water planets... but that doesn't mean the destroy them. Look at Venice -- they just built a space station for themselves to live on and continued to enslave the world.

I don't agree with the 'possibility' aspect at all, though. "We don't know what will happen" is a poor excuse upon which to base murder.

Anything particularly interesting on Venice? Who could’ve guessed that, on the same offensive (it is the same, right?), a friendship relevant to WCIV was being forged (Eisen an the Capt. Rodriguez). I like those references that go back in time. And this one didn’t cause a lot of head-scratching, like Hawk’s one on WCP.

Speaking of WC1, I do have a question. I remember that, if you never mage to kill the Kilrathi aces, they would all show up on the last mission in Hell’s Gate on the losing path. Does the same happen in Venice on the winning path?

Now, here's a rub for you: we (not Blair) *do* know that the destruction of Kilrah calls forth the Nephilim, who kill millions more humans immediately and at present stand a good chance of wiping us all out (unlike the Kilrathi they *aren't* interested in slaves). What's the solution with that knowledge? Surrender, suffer slavery and avoid the Nephilim?

Neither. The solution would win the war with a conventional method without destroying Kilrah. I wonder if the T-Bomb could be set to produce a lot of damage but not really planet-wide destruction, so it could cripple the planet, hopefully killing the emperor, and not cause the Bugs to show up.

After all, there’s reason to believe that Earth could be saved at that point, or even that Confed could continue to fight if it fells. Maybe I’d accept to surrender Earth if it’s inevitable, to prevent its destruction, like both sides surrendered Rome and Paris on World War II.

I think it would be irresponsible to use the T-Bomb, or the Behemoth for that matter, knowing of the Bug threat. Surrender would be unacceptable unless there was absolutely no conceivable way to keep fighting, and that was not the case on WC3. Confed is able to push as far as Downtown Kilrath, one jump point way.

Speaking of which, after Hyperion they go meet with the fleet on Freya,

No, Wing Commander *does* say that bio-weapons will make mankind stronger - in Tolwyn's speech.

This is one of the absolute staples of criticism: you can not ever simply decide that a character is lying to you without internal evidence supporting such a claim. Fiction just doesn't work that way and the process of thinking about it in any intelligent manner falls apart when you allow that to occur.

Well, Wing Commander *does* say Kilrathi do no co-exist, by Angel and Thrakkath. But they do, somewhat. We don’t need a citation explicitly saying Thrakkath was wrong, since we know Kilrathi co-exist with slaves.

I agree with you on the second part. And there’s no doubt Tolwyn believes it, but I don’t know why we should take that as an absolute, universally accepted truth. Blair have his doubts. Hey, even the Black Lance has doubts even if the weapon would work and has to test it. It works, but that doesn’t mean it will produce the desired results in the long term. We no one ever finds out. As it stands, it could work or not.

It's also not how writing works. You don't have characters lie without an end -- especially in a visual medium where establishing that something is a lie is very, very, very difficult.

It is taken as gospel that if Mr. X is lying about Y then this has to be somehow revealed internally. Otherwise, for our purpose it would simply be a continuity error: space ships don't fly like that! Genetic engineering isn't real!, etc. -- which is another, much lowlier form of discussion.

Well, I’d argue that neither Tolwyn nor Thrakkath were telling a lie. That doesn’t mean, on the other had, that we can take what they say as an absolute truth.

See, you shot yourself in the foot right now... his claims aren't new except that they involve a magic future technology whose extent we can't understand. External entirely to Tolwyn but an open part of the Wing Commander universe is the fact that there *is* a science of "bioconvergence" that must be skirting the edges of exactly what you call eugenics.

Well, the problem with that is that the Bioconvergence part was brought later in the plan in other to help actually build the weapon, but the overall ideological concept existed prior to that. Likewise, Confed decided to blow up Kilrah before they started to make the T-Bomb and rescue Dr. Severin. The Black Lance was already in late stages of preparation by the times they got their hands on the Dr. Brody. It all seems more linked to the actual Gen-Select Bio-Weapon than to the ideology behind it. The technology is applied to the means, not the ends, which was exactly the same as it is today, to kill people based on their inferiority.

And who tells us that? Wing Commander does. And you helped me figure that out when you compared Telamon to Hyperion.

The principle behind Tolwyn’s plan is simple: “The strong shall survive”: the primary universal law. The species that is weak, faces extinction.”

Later on, he says: “Now, in the Gen-Select device, we have a tool to do the job. We have tested it, and we shall use it!”.

Well, naturally, this states that the Gen-Select is something new they have just finished building. And that *now* they have a *tool* to do the Job.

And yes, WCIV has parallels with WCIII. The weapon test is just one of them. In both cases, they are using a new tech as a means to an end. And, in both cases, they need to acquire a scientist to finish producing the weapon. Dr. Severin on the Kilrathi prison planet, and the Bioconvergence Chemist on Tyr.

Please note that, while the knowledge of Dr. Brody was needed to finish the Gen Select device, it was certainly not necessary to make decision to build it. Unless we have a citation specifically mentioned that Bioconverngece is behind the whole thing, it seems it has more to do with the Bio-Weapon itself than the principles behind it.

The Gen-Select is, in Tolwyn’s worlds, a tool to do the job, like like the T-Bomb is tool for a different job, but the decision to destroy Kilrah doesn’t require the technology behind it.

Thus, Wing Commander tells us that the advanced and new Bioconvergence science knowledge of the chemist was imperative to build the weapon. But not to the decision to build the weapon to begin with!

Gangsters commit illegal acts in order to make a monetary profit, though, which has nothing to do with Seether. From my perspective this is yet another case of you deciding a word has some negative connotation so it must apply to whoever you think is the ultimate bad guy.

I did not really mean he was an actual ganstger. It’s just an expression that has been used in a derogatory fashion against individuals inside a government military structure operating on an uncivilized fashion, which perhaps would include cut a Captain’s throat. But I think this gangster thing has run its course.

And Seether is not even remotely close to an ultimate bad guy. Even thought he wants to be one, since he would like his organization to rule the universe. But since he fails to defeat the Union of Border Worlds, we can assume he might have been overestimating his chances.

Joking aside, that’s no shame. He fails against Blair, as did his “predecessor” in WC terms.

Oh, he *laughed*? Well, that proves he was guilty of whatever you said and wasn't actually a military officer! Do me a favor and do not sit on any juries.

The laughter part was indicative that he appeared to be enjoying himself or was slightly crazy, wouldn’t you agree?

I don't see how a pre-emptive strike could ever *become* legitimate

Whoa, let me stop you right there. From the top of my head, if a nation is building a nuke and preparing to use it against e neighbor state which lacks such weapon, wouldn’t it be OK for that nation to send a fighter wing to take out the complex, if you knew this information with reasonable certainty?

It is an interesting topic, with all the debate about preemptive wars. But let’s not go there.

-- especially since your entire operation is based on doing your darndest to prove that you're innocent and should not have war declared against you in the first place. The sheer stupidity of the Speradon operation boggles the mind, especially in retrospect when you know that the Border Worlds *did* know that the war was being incited by a fringe group.

If the raid had been launched ten minutes after the Senate declared war it would have been fine... but deciding to attack someone because they might be your enemies someday is crazy.

I happen to agree with you on this one. Politically, it was a not smart. Military, it would make sense if you didn’t expect to be able to present your case. But it sounds like a bad movie, not to mention reprehensible. Not only because of the reasons you listed, but because Border Worlds systems were under attack by pirates and mercenaries, so the resources should be used there.

Eh, that's a silly thing to say - because ideology in some form or another is a constant. (It just means 'thinking'.) The Border Worlds' had their own ideology -- that they should be allowed to leave the Confederation... and apparently take whatever they wanted from it. It's not a case of there being some kind of amazing ideological vacuum on one side.

The BW has an “ideology” in the same sense that a Corporation has a “philosophy”, the ideology behind Tolwyn’s action were more complex and well thought, and therefore mode potentially dangerous.

Again, Delance, you're being stupid about Tolwyn. He's *evil* now, so he must be stealing money? Nations have giant budgets for exactly this type of project. Look at the Manhattan Project, mentioned earlier in this thread -- $20 billion (modern) spent in three years, none of it explained to Congress. After a 35 year war you'll certainly have a Senate that knows it can't ask questions in public.

Now, that said, the vast majority of these things were war-era projects that Tolwyn simply gathered the fruit of: the flashpak, the fision gun, the GE personnel, the cloaking device, the jammer and the Lance were all war era research.

Other aspects weren't even so secret - Project units operated off the Lexington and the Princeton in the guise of a legitimate 'Kilrathi weapons' research project (that, presumably, had its own budget item... which would probably cover the various Confederation and Border Worlds fighters they operated under the pretense of testing weaponry on them).

Of your list that just leaves the uniforms (which I assume was a joke, but it's a good marker for all the 'etc' involved) and the mercenaries as a 'black budget' item. (And lets face it, hiring a mercenary in Wing Commander isn't hard or expensive... and have you ever questioned the morality of the Privateer mission computer telling you that RandomCompany needs a blockade buster?)

Oh, it’s easy to buy mercs, especially after the end of the war, that’s a plot point. Nice bits of info for the whole thing. And I didn’t call Tolwyn a thief, Blair kind of did, don’t blame me. And while the uniforms were a joke, I wonder: due to the secretive nature of the Black Lance, would the making of the uniforms have been done internally, like the Dragon?

The Gen-Select weapon was based on existing research (I mean, Maniac knew about it!) and it was developed by a prisoner in an existing space lab... and then reproduced in a war-era covert research base (Axius).

But, like the T-Bomb, they need to “rescue” one scientist to make the thing work. And Maniac just hear the term, he had no idea to what it means.

Throw that out - the Empire never recognized any declaration of war and, in fact, had no diplomatic ties with the Terran Confederation. (Also, for a counter-pinch, note that Tolwyn *was* being careful about attacking further planets with the bioweapon until war had been declared: he's very careful about this in the novel.)

That explains Tolwyn’s comments about never being ‘officialy at war’, after all Confed did issue a declaration of war on the WC Movie. But, if the Kilrathi had no diplomatic ties, how did they arrange an armistice? And if Tolwyn was going to use the weapon against Confed itself, a declaration of war would be quite impossible to obtain. (Confed declares war on itself!)

I would say that we were "unsure" about either of them. Their placement in the universe could or could not be important depending on how the conflict evolves in the future... but I think both *are* strategic from a 'thread' perspective. That is to say Telamon is strategic because you force the Border Worlds to deploy their limited resources there to care for the situation (for an extended period of time - the Intrepid spends more time enforcing a blockade in the Telamon System than it does the rest of WC4 combined)... Hyperion is strategic because it can be used as a 'threat', to force the Kilrathi to consider surrendering before Kilrah is attacked (although this doesn't seem to have been followed up on at all - it did later become strategic because the out-of-the-way system was used as a staging area).

And note, then, that billions aren't especially significant -- compared to a Kilrathi War that killed ten trillion people (combined).

Again, I *doubt* the T-Bomb was something anyone knew about -- ask a senator in 1943 if the country is developing an Atomic Bomb... (and, of course, you can apply the same fact to the GE weapon -- ultimately it's only the executive who needs to know what's in the black budget.)

Well, at least the president or some legitimate people inside the US government, and some of the British knew about the project. It’s not completely far fetched to imagine it was no different with the T-Bomb. The Gen-Select had to be kept a secret for somewhat different reasons.

Wrong - we can be sure that the Temblor Bomb was *not* found to be a 'generally acceptable' weapon. We specifically see a Confederation giving the Kilrathi vast post-war reparations in False Colors because it feels guilty about the kind of weapon it used to end the war.

OK.

No, he didn't. Blair found out about 'the situation' from Maniac after 'rescuing' the biochemist. He stays with the Confederation for quite a while after this point -- he attacks Border Worlds shipping, captures a science lab for Tolwyn's project and shoots down rebel fighters left and right. It's his friend and commanding officer being in danger that causes him to defect, not some grand seated understanding of the universe.

Seether's friend and commanding officer, on the other hand, is Admiral Tolwyn.

So all those years bumping heads with Tolwyn and not being his friend finally paid off.

On a slightly more serious note, Seether not only aware, but a product of the whole thing, on his words:

“found us, nurtured us, and has given us the tools to fulfil our birthright as the natural rulers of the universe!”

Now, now, they are slightly more interested than a mere defense of the Confederation. Out of a life of hiding to *rule the universe*. Not the galaxy, mind you. How exactly did the Black Lance planned to rule the universe, sadly, we might never find out. And I’m not just being ironic, I really wonder what he meant by that.

Well, this falls into the "we don't really know that" category and so isn't a fact.

That’s my point. Since it’s never put into action, we can’t know for sure that it would work. Of course it was expected to work by the people who planned it.

The important thing to note here, of course, is that the T-Bomb was not Tolwyn's project... and that Tolwyn's project (the Behemoth) involved destroying the planet's surface rather than the planet itself.

But I thought “anything at the end of that point is destroyed”, like that planet on Loki system. Anyway, Tolwyn didn’t knew what would cause to show up, did he?

Well, no, they didn't -- Confed discovered a fleet that it claimed it could not possibly defeat and had millions of its civilians killed by a simple RIF group.

Still not defeated. And what good would the Black Lance do in that case? Apart from slightly better pilots than avarege. Most of its research was available to Confed, and was not of much use anyway, since they don’t seem to be able to use cloaking devices and flashpaks against the bugs. Dragons are excellent for covert operations against our own ships, but likely wouldn’t have the same edge against the bugs. The G.E. could bring some results, but the whole Gen-Select thing would logically not produce immediate results. How did the Black Lance expect to win against *that*?

But, still, Confed was not destroyed so far, so that part of Tolwyn’s prediction was yet to happen.

What this boils down to is that we don't know how the events started in Prophecy end yet... but that's not effective rhetoric, since it's simply an unknown.

Let’s hope we’ll find out someday.

Well, no, they haven't, because we don't win the war with the Nephilim -- we simply see it start (which would seem to prove that Tolwyn was actually right about that aspect.)
He was, indeed, but I don’t see how the Gen-Select part of the plan would’ve been of much help in such a short period.

It doesn't even show that, because there's simply no way for Wing Commander III to show anything that doesn't involve Blair. What if Blair doesn't drop the T-Bomb and then fights in a traditional campaign against the Grand Fleet where he's responsible for turning the tide of the battle (as he as done so many times in the past)? There's no way to know - 'the losing endgame says!' doesn't cover such a scenario at all.

That would be a terrific alternate ending. You have got to love this gallant, last ditch battles against overwhelming odds.

No, they don't. Prophecy ends with the claim that the fleet on the other side of the Kilrah Gate is so large that the only way to save the day is to block it from passing through. Secret Ops ends with the claim that the Nephilim can open wormholes fairly regularly.

So, why they only open two of them? Why not half a dozen, making any attempts to close them even more futile? Unknown, of course. Actually, dramatic necessity for the plot is the likely answer.

^^ that's everything you said about eugnics... a word that is not mentioned once in Wing Commander IV. I appreciate your need to attach a modern philosphy to Wing Commander, but you're confused. No one is saying (and no one has ever said) that Tolwyn is doing the right thing in slaughtering people.

What we are claiming is that there is no evidence that his plan was scientifically flawed. All the characters seem happy to accept that the study of genetics and bioconvergence (something we don't even have!) by the 27th century has lead to the understanding that whatever Tolwyn's philosophy (which you liken to eugenics -- which I think is a bad analogy, since scientists today are becoming less and less squemish about that 'philosophy' in terms of identifying genetic defects and such) is, however *morally wrong* it is, it is not based on some kind of foolish pretense.

There's no claim that Tolwyn was stupid. There's no intended irony in Wing Commander IV. The idea is that you fight through the game and then laugh because his goal was impossible -- that lessens the idea in the first place. The threat that he *could* build the warrior race is supposed to be terrifying, not the idea that he's some happy go lucky killer out to finish off the human race by accident.

All right, so let me get this straight. I was not claiming there was some hidden irony on WCIV this regard. Of course I know Tolwyn had reason to believe in what he did, even tough he probably was crazy, he was not an idiot and not a fool. This is not meant to be in detriment of his character. As you see, I changed my point a bit in the light of what you said. While we can’t say for sure it wouldn’t work based on what WC tells us, however that doesn’t mean it will. Tolwyn surely thinks so, but he could be wrong, or things could not go as planned.

He might have been suffering from overconfidence about the whole thing, since he declares himself to be *invincible* against Blair. Perhaps that was denial about the Behemoth disaster that cost so much to him. Or maybe, in fact, he was too sure about the whole thing would work and was ignoring any evidence in contrary, like the possibility that Blair would be able to pull it off.

Maybe it was possible, maybe not. We’ll never know because it was never put into effect. But still, the basic idea behind Tolwyn’s thinking date back from the 19th century. That’s not something I’m making up, but his “primary universal law” he repeats on the game, “The Strong Shall Survive”, dates from there, at least in this context. That’s not to say more advanced future technology was not in place, and of course it was.

It’s not just about just making supersoldiers, like the GE Program, an elite force, but bringing up the genetic standard of everyone. Bioconvergence was fairly new, and we don’t know how old the plan actually is. What we know for sure, because that’s what Wing Commander tells us, is that they had an *incomplete* knowledge of bioconvergence and had to acquire a scientist to finish the weapon.

So while of course it would be impossible to know for certain about how possible or likely the results would be, we can at least acknowledge the possibility that it would not work in the intended way, or even produce unintended results.

I agree, but wasn’t the Behemoth even more expensive in comparison?

I don't know of any quote anywhere to that extent. The Behemoth was built very, very slowly (ten years) -- such projects are usually cheaper than crash efforts.

If all the cash was spent on those few weeks, then couldn’t say the T-Bomb took too many resources that could’ve gone to front line ships, like the Behemoth?

You're asking if the bomb whose deployment involved the largest Confederation fleet ever assembled throwing itself at a much stronger position to cover Blair's jump couldn't have taken too many resources? The bomb whose development and testing alone involved the taking of multiple precious carrier groups away from the front lines?

(Besides, clearly the *development* of the weapon had gone on for quite a while -- Vagabond had worked on the project some time earlier.)

All right, the Grarnd Fleet was there, incidentally, and it was known on that briefing. What I do wonder is if they would’ve used the weapon if they didn’t think they were losing the war, or about to.

Well, again, there's what Quarto said earlier -- they started building the Behemoth after the Vega Campaign.

Anything particularly interesting on Venice? Who could’ve guessed that, on the same offensive (it is the same, right?), a friendship relevant to WCIV was being forged (Eisen an the Capt. Rodriguez). I like those references that go back in time. And this one didn’t cause a lot of head-scratching, like Hawk’s one on WCP.

Different campaigns, though. The "Venice Campaign" referred to in WC4 was early in the war... the fighting in the Venice System in Wing Commander I was much later and part of the Vega Campaign.

Speaking of WC1, I do have a question. I remember that, if you never mage to kill the Kilrathi aces, they would all show up on the last mission in Hell’s Gate on the losing path. Does the same happen in Venice on the winning path?

Yes, that's correct.

Neither. The solution would win the war with a conventional method without destroying Kilrah. I wonder if the T-Bomb could be set to produce a lot of damage but not really planet-wide destruction, so it could cripple the planet, hopefully killing the emperor, and not cause the Bugs to show up.

I would hope not -- because then you even lose the flimsy pretense of the weapon being to destroy the fleet in orbit.

After all, there’s reason to believe that Earth could be saved at that point, or even that Confed could continue to fight if it fells. Maybe I’d accept to surrender Earth if it’s inevitable, to prevent its destruction, like both sides surrendered Rome and Paris on World War II.

Paris is an odd situation because France was *so* centralized that it just couldn't fight on without the capital -- so surrendering Paris ended their war. It wouldn't be like that with Earth at all.

I think it would be irresponsible to use the T-Bomb, or the Behemoth for that matter, knowing of the Bug threat. Surrender would be unacceptable unless there was absolutely no conceivable way to keep fighting, and that was not the case on WC3. Confed is able to push as far as Downtown Kilrath, one jump point way.

Speaking of which, after Hyperion they go meet with the fleet on Freya,

Other way around, the fleet builds up at Hyperion and then jumps to Freya where the battle is fought. ("We're jumping back to Hyperion - - Confed's decided it's a good staging area, and we're building up a fleet there. Apparently the Kilrathi have got wind of this buildup. We're going to be escorting the big boys.")

Well, Wing Commander *does* say Kilrathi do no co-exist, by Angel and Thrakkath. But they do, somewhat. We don’t need a citation explicitly saying Thrakkath was wrong, since we know Kilrathi co-exist with slaves.

Yes, that's exactly an example of a situation where the fact that something isn't true is established internally.

I agree with you on the second part. And there’s no doubt Tolwyn believes it, but I don’t know why we should take that as an absolute, universally accepted truth. Blair have his doubts. Hey, even the Black Lance has doubts even if the weapon would work and has to test it. It works, but that doesn’t mean it will produce the desired results in the long term. We no one ever finds out. As it stands, it could work or not.

The need to test a weapon isn't because one doubts it will work but rather because one isn't sure exactly how it will work. You didn't have Trinity because people in 1945 didn't believe there could be an atomic bomb... you had it because they needed to know exactly what the effect of an atomic bomb would be. The same thing goes for pretty much any weapon -- you don't put your aircraft carrier out for sea trials because you're not sure airplanes can land on ships, you do it to make sure everything is working properly before it goes active.

We do know that individual Project members had doubts about the morality of Tolwyn's plan, which is something you don't see mentioned here very often.

Well, I’d argue that neither Tolwyn nor Thrakkath were telling a lie. That doesn’t mean, on the other had, that we can take what they say as an absolute truth.

In formal criticism you really have to, though -- unless, as with Thrakhath (kh, not kk - and there's no game versus novel contradiction here for you to be an asshole about) there's *internal* evidence to the contrary.

Well, the problem with that is that the Bioconvergence part was brought later in the plan in other to help actually build the weapon, but the overall ideological concept existed prior to that. Likewise, Confed decided to blow up Kilrah before they started to make the T-Bomb and rescue Dr. Severin. The Black Lance was already in late stages of preparation by the times they got their hands on the Dr. Brody. It all seems more linked to the actual Gen-Select Bio-Weapon than to the ideology behind it. The technology is applied to the means, not the ends, which was exactly the same as it is today, to kill people based on their inferiority.

The science to do both existed before the actual weapons, though... just like... every single other weapon in history. Man knows he can build an airplane before he does, man knows he can build a bomb before he does, etc., etc.

And who tells us that? Wing Commander does. And you helped me figure that out when you compared Telamon to Hyperion.

The principle behind Tolwyn’s plan is simple: “The strong shall survive”: the primary universal law. The species that is weak, faces extinction.”

Later on, he says: “Now, in the Gen-Select device, we have a tool to do the job. We have tested it, and we shall use it!”.

Well, naturally, this states that the Gen-Select is something new they have just finished building. And that *now* they have a *tool* to do the Job.

And yes, WCIV has parallels with WCIII. The weapon test is just one of them. In both cases, they are using a new tech as a means to an end. And, in both cases, they need to acquire a scientist to finish producing the weapon. Dr. Severin on the Kilrathi prison planet, and the Bioconvergence Chemist on Tyr.

Please note that, while the knowledge of Dr. Brody was needed to finish the Gen Select device, it was certainly not necessary to make decision to build it. Unless we have a citation specifically mentioned that Bioconverngece is behind the whole thing, it seems it has more to do with the Bio-Weapon itself than the principles behind it.

The Gen-Select is, in Tolwyn’s worlds, a tool to do the job, like like the T-Bomb is tool for a different job, but the decision to destroy Kilrah doesn’t require the technology behind it.

Thus, Wing Commander tells us that the advanced and new Bioconvergence science knowledge of the chemist was imperative to build the weapon. But not to the decision to build the weapon to begin with!

Again, though, we're talking about a distant future that is completely seprate from your 19th century philosophy class -- if Wing COmmander has an accepted bio convergence science that says yes, we can identify and eliminate bad genes, then I see no reason to doubt this - and certainly no ability to do so on modern scientific or philosophical grounds.

Heck, we're moving towards this right now -- the process of identifying genetic diseases in unborn children aborting fetuses based on this information is a technological truth and a moral debate, not simply some bit of ancient literature.

The laughter part was indicative that he appeared to be enjoying himself or was slightly crazy, wouldn’t you agree?

You were arguing that he was a criminal, though... and if he's *crazy*, then you're hurting your own point.

Whoa, let me stop you right there. From the top of my head, if a nation is building a nuke and preparing to use it against e neighbor state which lacks such weapon, wouldn’t it be OK for that nation to send a fighter wing to take out the complex, if you knew this information with reasonable certainty?

It is an interesting topic, with all the debate about preemptive wars. But let’s not go there.

But the Border Worlds *doesn't* know that the Confederation is going to declare war on them - in fact, just the opposite... they know that someone *apart* from the Confederation is engineering a war and they claim their highest priority is to reveal that information to stop the war in the first place. Wilford himself realized Speradon was a terrible, terrible idea later on -- why can't you?

The BW has an “ideology” in the same sense that a Corporation has a “philosophy”, the ideology behind Tolwyn’s action were more complex and well thought, and therefore mode potentially dangerous.

Well, yes, those are synonyms... you're mistaken if you think that 'ideology' is some kind of negative word. The Border Worlds clearly did have an established ideology separate from that of the Confederation -- one about rights and representations for all star systems and such.

Oh, it’s easy to buy mercs, especially after the end of the war, that’s a plot point. Nice bits of info for the whole thing. And I didn’t call Tolwyn a thief, Blair kind of did, don’t blame me. And while the uniforms were a joke, I wonder: due to the secretive nature of the Black Lance, would the making of the uniforms have been done internally, like the Dragon?

Probably. The Lances were presumably built at Axius (though designed by Douglas Aerospace) -- it's what the base was there for in the first place and we know it's where the Gen-Select weapons were reproduced.

But, like the T-Bomb, they need to “rescue” one scientist to make the thing work. And Maniac just hear the term, he had no idea to what it means.

There's no indication that Maniac doesn't know what bioconvergence is:

MANIAC: I just got a peek at that bioconvergence-chemist we sprung from Tyr VII.
BLAIR: Bio-what?
MANIAC: Bioconvergence. Try downloading a science update once in awhile.

That explains Tolwyn’s comments about never being ‘officialy at war’, after all Confed did issue a declaration of war on the WC Movie. But, if the Kilrathi had no diplomatic ties, how did they arrange an armistice? And if Tolwyn was going to use the weapon against Confed itself, a declaration of war would be quite impossible to obtain. (Confed declares war on itself!)

The Confederation actually issued several (at least three) different declarations of war -- but, again, no diplomatic contact with the Kilrathi.

Baron Jukaga opened up talks with the Confederation in 2668 for the purpose of establishing an armistice. When that feel apart the Kilrathi blew up their embassy on Earth and had the Confederation diplomats on Kirah executed.

Well, at least the president or some legitimate people inside the US government, and some of the British knew about the project. It’s not completely far fetched to imagine it was no different with the T-Bomb. The Gen-Select had to be kept a secret for somewhat different reasons.

Well, not quite -- we know that various higher ups *did* know about the research being done with the Gen-Select weapon during the war and that they covered it up then while allowing it to continue.

On a slightly more serious note, Seether not only aware, but a product of the whole thing, on his words:

“found us, nurtured us, and has given us the tools to fulfil our birthright as the natural rulers of the universe!”

Now, now, they are slightly more interested than a mere defense of the Confederation. Out of a life of hiding to *rule the universe*. Not the galaxy, mind you. How exactly did the Black Lance planned to rule the universe, sadly, we might never find out. And I’m not just being ironic, I really wonder what he meant by that.

I think he means exactly what Tolwyn tells him: that the genetically superior strain of humans and their ideology will, in some number of generations, completely replace the status quo. It's not some reference to a political power grab on the part of Tolwyn and Seether (which seems an absurd consideration at all, since being a completely invisible covert operative is as far from political as you can be in the military.)

But I thought “anything at the end of that point is destroyed”, like that planet on Loki system. Anyway, Tolwyn didn’t knew what would cause to show up, did he?

The ultimate effect of the Behemoth was unknown - Tolwyn claimed that it would certainly destroy a planets surface (ie, what is targeted), but the effect on the planet itself would be unknown.

Still not defeated. And what good would the Black Lance do in that case? Apart from slightly better pilots than avarege. Most of its research was available to Confed, and was not of much use anyway, since they don’t seem to be able to use cloaking devices and flashpaks against the bugs. Dragons are excellent for covert operations against our own ships, but likely wouldn’t have the same edge against the bugs. The G.E. could bring some results, but the whole Gen-Select thing would logically not produce immediate results. How did the Black Lance expect to win against *that*?

Obviously all we can do is speculate, but there's certainly enough options out there to disprove the idea that there's no possible way Tolwyn could have helped the current conflict.

For instance: for all Tolwyn's talk about improving the species in the long run, he was also clearly interested in a very immediate result. He hoped that the war with the Border Worlds would keep the Confederation on a 'war footing'... which would have meant keeping a strong military in service (instead of decomissioning ships and standing down units after the Kilrathi War) and continuing military research to develop new weapons. That would have been an immediate result that would have been applicable to the Nephilim conflict - the Confederation military would have been more ready to fight a war.

Now, Tolwyn's project itself obviously has some benefits... an entirely above-the-law black operations force with the best possible pilots, the ability to produce their own technology and do their own research... and an array of biological weapons! I can see that coming in very handy against, say, an enemy that flies around in organic spaceships.

He was, indeed, but I don’t see how the Gen-Select part of the plan would’ve been of much help in such a short period.

As I just noted, he has a long range plan and a short range plan, and they aren't the same thing at all. We know two things about his 'bioconvergence' plan - one is that he does see a payoff in a single generation... and that he sees the ultimate payoff in fifteen generations.

So, why they only open two of them? Why not half a dozen, making any attempts to close them even more futile? Unknown, of course. Actually, dramatic necessity for the plot is the likely answer.

Not unknown, they *do* open more wormholes... at the end of Secret Ops wormholes are opened in the Proxima, Hhallas, Valgard and K'sk'taq systems. *That's* where the game leaves off -- with one wormhole (Proxima) in Confederation hands and three others just having been opened.

All right, so let me get this straight. I was not claiming there was some hidden irony on WCIV this regard. Of course I know Tolwyn had reason to believe in what he did, even tough he probably was crazy, he was not an idiot and not a fool. This is not meant to be in detriment of his character. As you see, I changed my point a bit in the light of what you said. While we can’t say for sure it wouldn’t work based on what WC tells us, however that doesn’t mean it will. Tolwyn surely thinks so, but he could be wrong, or things could not go as planned.

He might have been suffering from overconfidence about the whole thing, since he declares himself to be *invincible* against Blair. Perhaps that was denial about the Behemoth disaster that cost so much to him. Or maybe, in fact, he was too sure about the whole thing would work and was ignoring any evidence in contrary, like the possibility that Blair would be able to pull it off.

Maybe it was possible, maybe not. We’ll never know because it was never put into effect. But still, the basic idea behind Tolwyn’s thinking date back from the 19th century. That’s not something I’m making up, but his “primary universal law” he repeats on the game, “The Strong Shall Survive”, dates from there, at least in this context. That’s not to say more advanced future technology was not in place, and of course it was.

It’s not just about just making supersoldiers, like the GE Program, an elite force, but bringing up the genetic standard of everyone. Bioconvergence was fairly new, and we don’t know how old the plan actually is. What we know for sure, because that’s what Wing Commander tells us, is that they had an *incomplete* knowledge of bioconvergence and had to acquire a scientist to finish the weapon.

So while of course it would be impossible to know for certain about how possible or likely the results would be, we can at least acknowledge the possibility that it would not work in the intended way, or even produce unintended results.

I'm not sure what you think 'incomplete knowledge' means - you can level that exact same vauge criticism at every aspect of science at any point in history. We have an incomplete knowledge of genetics, an incomplete knowledge of biology, an incomplete knowledge of physics, etc. right now.

Again, all we know is what we see in Wing Commander -- which is that the 'good' characters even consider Tolwyn's plans possible but not morally reasonable. We have no reason to second guess any of this. We see that a science has specifically sprung up - a legitimate science - around studying exactly the concepts Tolwyn is using for wrong.

Tolwyn's speech may have elements of whatever 19th century philosophy you studied in grade school, but it's certainly not exactly the same thing and it's even more certainly not *only* the same thing... like it or lump it, Tolwyn's plan is a technically accepted possibility in the context of Wing Commander.

Just a quick point here: The T-Bomb has absolutely NOTHING to do with GENOCIDE. genocide is the extermination of a certain population based on "genetics". The TBomb, even while destroying a planet, has not came close to exterminating the Kilrathi. nor its purpose had any direct relation to that objective. Just as the use of atomic weapons had any relation to the extermination of jewish people or the hutus killing tutsis or the Serbs killing croatians.

The Gen-Select, OTOH, could probably be programmed to kill all kilrathi, or all hari, or all steltek, or any entire race.

PS: You can say that the Tbomb was a GEOcide bomb (Geo as in earth, or planet).

You guys did... and you're wrong.
Genocide is not a pretty word for killing lots of people.
Genocide has a very definite meaning.
indiscriminate mass murder is different from the killing of a race, nation, etc.
It doesn't matter how Sperandon or Quarto "feel" about it, we cannot just change the meaning of words just to prove our points.

The Tbombing of kilrah was not an act of genocide, because it didn't wipe out the kilrathi. And yes, if the Kats destroyed Earth to win the war, it would be perfectly fine. the point is valid both ways...

The Tbombing of kilrah was not an act of genocide, because it didn't wipe out the kilrathi. And yes, if the Kats destroyed Earth to win the war, it would be perfectly fine. the point is valid both ways...

So you'd argue that the holocaust wasn't genocide because it didn't wipe out all humans? Kilrah was - practically and intentionally - a move to completely eliminate the nar Kiranka clan, a distinct political (even national) group.

It doesn't matter how Sperandon or Quarto "feel" about it, we cannot just change the meaning of words just to prove our points.

What an odd thing for someone here to defend Delance to say.

The holocaust was meant to exterminate all Jewish people. Even tough it didn't succeed, its objective was clearly stated as beig such. Unlike the bombing of Kilrah.
Nowhere we read that the nar Kiranka clan was wiped, only the ones in Kilrah. We do find an heir to the Kiranka throne in the last book.

The objective of the confederation was finishing the war by destroying the Kilrathi's drive to fight. They accomplished that by eliminating its homeplanet and killing the emperor, with the bonus destruction of the fleet. It was a legitimate act within a war.

And I'm not defending Delance. I'm making my point.

The holocaust was meant to exterminate all Jewish people. Even tough it didn't succeed, its objective was clearly stated as beig such. Unlike the bombing of Kilrah.
Nowhere we read that the nar Kiranka clan was wiped, only the ones in Kilrah. We do find an heir to the Kiranka throne in the last book.

The objective of the confederation was finishing the war by destroying the Kilrathi's drive to fight. They accomplished that by eliminating its homeplanet and killing the emperor, with the bonus destruction of the fleet. It was a legitimate act within a war.

Kilrah is the Kiranka clan's home and attacking it was very clearly defined as a way to cripple the Empire by attacking its culture. The plan was to wipe out the Emperor and his line of succession (his clan): "Their entire culture is based on a strict, centralized hierarchy: 'All roads lead to Kilrah.' Every Kilrathi lives... and dies for the Emperor. Destroy that hierarchy... and you destroy them." That's genocide, plain and simple.

(And no, we don't - we meet one of Thrakhath's cousins in False Colors, a mamber of the dai Nokhtak clan. Ralgha was also a cousin of Thrakhath but not part of the Kiranka clan.)

And I'm not defending Delance. I'm making my point.

It's just a coincidence that you've shown up to side with him in every argument over the last decade.

LOAF said:
That's genocide, plain and simple.
No it is not. or else the communists commited genocide when they killed the Tzar's family... a horrible act, but not genocide. We don't know if the part of the nar Kiranka Clan was eligible for the throne, nor how big it was.
LOAF said:
It's just a coincidence that you've shown up to side with him in every argument over the last decade.
Come on, what's with the grudge?

Funny thing is, I sided with you in several debates in the last few years too. I don't agree with a lot of stuff Delance says, anyway. He is a right wing Catholic conservative and I'm a left-center agnostic libertarian...

Well, I didn't even see that he was talking about this issue until after posting.

Edfilho said:
indiscriminate mass murder is different from the killing of a race, nation, etc.
It doesn't matter how Sperandon or Quarto "feel" about it, we cannot just change the meaning of words just to prove our points. The Tbombing of kilrah was not an act of genocide, because it didn't wipe out the kilrathi.

I think I must have replied this in another thread, or I simply can't find my earlier post in this one (apologies, either way).

Definitions of Genocide:
--The systematic and planned extermination of an entire national, racial, political, or ethnic group
--The deliberate and systematic destruction of a racial, political, or cultural group
--The systematic killing of a racial or cultural group

Now, you could argue that the T-Bomb wasn't "systematic" in the way that the Nazi's were systematic in the 1940's, but it was definately deliberate. True, not every single Kilrathi was wiped out/killed, but the bulk of them, along with their culture, were gone after the T-Bomb.

Edfilho said:
You guys did... and you're wrong.
If you're gonna post stuff along the lines of "it doesn't matter how you feel, you can't just change the meaning of words", you would do well to first find out what the actual meaning of the word in question is.

A random search on the web indicates that pretty much all dictionaries agree that genocide is about the destruction of a particular group as an identity - not about wiping them out. For example, throughout modern history, there are several examples of genocidal campaigns ("genocidal" not because I feel they are genocidal, but because that's what everybody described them as) that didn't actually kill anyone. A great example of this is when the Australian government started kidnapping Aboriginal children and giving them to white parents. This didn't even hurt the children - they grew up separated from their real families, but in economic conditions far superior to anything their real parents could've provided. And yet, all historians agree that this was a genocidal campaign, because its objective was to cut off these people from their culture.

Given how Kilrah-centric the Kilrathi are, it is incredibly, incredibly clear that what was done against the Kilrathi was definitely an act of deliberate genocide. But hey, if you don't care how I feel about it, you don't have to take my word for it - take Melek's:

"And a race without a Homeworld...?"

You can, of course, point out that he doesn't finish that sentence, but it would be a petty, petty argument to make, because it's incredibly obvious what he was getting at - a race without a homeworld, in Kilrathi eyes, is nothing. The Confederation knew this, and it was the reason why they attacked Kilrah. They didn't strike it because it was a great military target, they struck it because it was a way of destroying an entire species' way of life and crush their will to fight.

Come on, what's with the grudge?

It's not for nothing. You have a decided tendency to show up as Delance's relief pitcher -- you managed to do it in *both* of the 'Delance argues something into the ground' threads today alone.

I actually don't really read everything he writes, he writes too much.
And quarto, I'm sorry if I was harsh... But even though I agree with the first part of you post (not killing-although the australian example is nothing more than a bloodless wiping out of the Aboriginals), I still don't see the connection with the Kilrah issue.

Confed could have kept on slaughtering (or employing subtler but cruel methods like the ones you mentioned) the kilrathi. But they immediately accepted their surrender (even though the last instance of kilrathi peace offering was probably the worst thing ever to happen to humankind and Earth) and left them to mind their own business, even to the point of returning the occupied systems to kilrathi control.

Confed destroyed Kilrah to avoid being completely erased from existance. The Kilrathi were engaged on a extermination campaign (no slaves, just death). It is completely different from any of the circumstances surrounding the Australian deed. Confed didn't intend to simply destroy the kilrathi culture (something that actually doesn't happen as acutely as they believe themselves) for the sake of it. It was the last ditch measure to avoid extinction.

REgarding the morality of the act, tt is not even a matter of preemption, or excessive use of force. The big difference between the dilema posed in WC3 and other is that we know precisely what comes to pass if the decision to T-nuke kilrah is not taken. Any outcome other than the destruction of the Kilrathi homeplanet is the death of mankind.... Would you rather have Confed desist from the T-Bomb?

Edfilho said:
I actually don't really read everything he writes, he writes too much.
And quarto, I'm sorry if I was harsh... But even though I agree with the first part of you post (not killing-although the australian example is nothing more than a bloodless wiping out of the Aboriginals), I still don't see the connection with the Kilrah issue.

Confed could have kept on slaughtering (or employing subtler but cruel methods like the ones you mentioned) the kilrathi. But they immediately accepted their surrender (even though the last instance of kilrathi peace offering was probably the worst thing ever to happen to humankind and Earth) and left them to mind their own business, even to the point of returning the occupied systems to kilrathi control.

Confed destroyed Kilrah to avoid being completely erased from existance. The Kilrathi were engaged on a extermination campaign (no slaves, just death). It is completely different from any of the circumstances surrounding the Australian deed.

The examples like these don't really matter, because the point is, as everyone else has said, that you're using too narrow of a definition. It's a really really weird thing to bring up too. Just starting semantics debates for the sake of semantics debates is a pretty big waste of time. If you must do something like that, look up your freakin word in a dictionary before doing so. http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=genocide Destroying the Emperor's line, the Kiranka clan, is definitely a political group, and practically an ethnic group as well. Additionally, its net effect is to destroy a national group. There's no ground to stand on here.

REgarding the morality of the act, tt is not even a matter of preemption, or excessive use of force. The big difference between the dilema posed in WC3 and other is that we know precisely what comes to pass if the decision to T-nuke kilrah is not taken. Any outcome other than the destruction of the Kilrathi homeplanet is the death of mankind.... Would you rather have Confed desist from the T-Bomb?

Gosh darnit, Ed, that's what this giant thread was *about* -- we had a long discussion about how the Kilrathi couldn't actually wipe out mankind because their entire economy and way of life and conceot of expansion is based around slavery, we had a long talk about how failing to destroy Kilrah didn't necessarily mean that Earth would be destroyed... everything you just summarized in this paragraph is something we debated to bits in this specific thread.

Quarto said:
A random search on the web indicates that pretty much all dictionaries agree that genocide is about the destruction of a particular group as an identity - not about wiping them out.

Confed did destroy the Empire and the Culture that was bent on enslaving and destroying them as an act of self-defense. Because of the way both are builty, to destroy one is to destroy the other. Paladin makes that very clear. Any attempt of peaceful co-existance with the Empire and this culture was a failure, for their own fault. The objective of Confed was a defensive one. If there was no other option that would permit Confed’s survival, how would it be genocide? This isn’t about the big fleet around Kilrah preparing to destroy Earth. This is about the only possibility of preventing further Kilrathi aggression. Confed did everything they could to preserve Kilrathi Identidy after the war, returned occupied systems, and didn't mess with their clan system.

Quarto said:
Given how Kilrah-centric the Kilrathi are, it is incredibly, incredibly clear that what was done against the Kilrathi was definitely an act of deliberate genocide. But hey, if you don't care how I feel about it, you don't have to take my word for it - take Melek's:

"And a race without a Homeworld...?"

You can, of course, point out that he doesn't finish that sentence, but it would be a petty, petty argument to make, because it's incredibly obvious what he was getting at - a race without a homeworld, in Kilrathi eyes, is nothing. The Confederation knew this, and it was the reason why they attacked Kilrah. They didn't strike it because it was a great military target, they struck it because it was a way of destroying an entire species' way of life and crush their will to fight.

You are wrong, since he does finish the sentence, he says it's unimaginable. But he also recoginizes this was their fault, not Confed's. Something that you apparently miss. It's is not *nothing*, it's just something they can't imagine. Melek isn't saying the Kilrathi was destroyed, but that they had to find new ways if they wanted to survive. Melek makes a plea to Blair, which represents the Kilrathi making a plea to Humans:

“The Kilrathi can't die as a race.”

It was on Confed's hands. Genocide. It would be easy at that point. But instead, Confed accepts the plea and makes a generous effort to accommodate the Kilrathi and to easy their suffering, to the point of providing them with a *new* homeworld.

The point you miss, Quatro, is that it was the Kilrathi that made it impossible for Confed to do anything else but to destroy their culture. Since the failed peace attempt, Confed could not really trust the Kilrathi to further peace. Arging the Kilrathi co-exist with, say, the Mantu was made pointless by their betrayal. Melek recognizes that.

“We become too corrupt, and with too much slaves to their bloodlust.”

The culture prevented them from surrendering or living in peace with Confed. The only other options were to surrender or to annihilate the Kilrathi. Melek understood this. The moment he didn’t kill Blar, but choose to surrender to him, demonstrated that he understood it was their culture that led the Kilrathi to their downfall. If it was an act of survival, it’s still genocide? In this case, clearly, it was not Genocide as it’s currently understood. It makes no sense to commit genocide as an act of self-defense. If there was a desire to destroy the Kilrathi identity, why allow them to have clans after the war? And why give them a homeworld?

ChrisReid said:
Destroying the Emperor's line, the Kiranka clan, is definitely a political group, and practically an ethnic group as well. Additionally, its net effect is to destroy a national group. There's no ground to stand on here.

Actually, as I said before, to say the Confed commited Genocide against that Clan would not be technically wrong. But to say Kilrathi commited Genocide against the Kilrathi race would. Other clans were allowed to keep their planets. And since that is the point of the debate, this is a significant point. The objective was not to destroy the Kilrathi race. Meleks plea and the action Confed takes after it makes this evident.

Bandit LOAF said:
Kilrah is the Kiranka clan's home and attacking it was very clearly defined as a way to cripple the Empire by attacking its culture. The plan was to wipe out the Emperor and his line of succession (his clan): "Their entire culture is based on a strict, centralized hierarchy: 'All roads lead to Kilrah.' Every Kilrathi lives... and dies for the Emperor. Destroy that hierarchy... and you destroy them." That's genocide, plain and simple.

Except it’s not. “Destroy that hierarchy... and you destroy them." is what Paladin say. And I ask, who was destroyed? The Kilrathi? The Kilrathi are still round. No, the Kilrathi Empire was destroyed. If Confed wanted to destroy the Kilrathi, it could. But it didn’t. Confed didn’t refuse to accept their surrender. Confed didn’t lean upon the fact they had no homeworld, but instead decided to give them a new one. Confed didn’t enslave the Kilrathi, but gave them reparations! Confed didn’t rob their territory, but gave systems back. Confed was not bent on hate and genocide, it was defending itself. It was self-defense, not aggression.

Because the point is not destroying the planet. Paladin makes that completely clear. The point is destroying the Empire. Destroying the culture that makes the Kilrathi attack and enslave Confed citizens. The Kilrathi would never stop before this didn’t happen. This isn’t about a planet. Even if Confed had to use conventional means, it would still *have* to destroy the Kilrathi culture, or there would be no peace. Everyone knows the Kilrathi don’t accept peace. They nuke their embassies and execute your ambassadors when they think they can take you. So unless the culture that produces this is destroyed, Confed would not have a chance for peace.

They do have other clans, right? That action destroyed the Empire, but not the Kilrathi race. Their culture did not cease to exist. Perhaps it was genocide against the Emperor's clan, but not against the Kilrathi as a race.

Furthermore, the objective was a defensive one: to win the war and prevent further Kilrathi aggression. For as long as there was an Empire, there would be war. There could be no peace with the Kilrathi while there was an Empire and a Culture towards aggression. The terrible consequences of the attempt at peace made it impossible. Whose fault was that? The Kilrathi.

Confed could continue to pursue the Kilrathi forces, before or after accepting their surrender, but choose not to. Without a vast fleet to protect them, the Kilrathi would be an easy prey. Confed not only helped the Kilrathi but even paid reparations! Not the course of action of a government bent over the genocide.

So as you can see I don't entirely agree with either side on this matter. It could've been classified as genocide, but not in a proper way. The objective was not to destroy a race, but to stop an aggression. If the only way to do that was to destroy the Empire, and the Kilrathi culture of aggression and enslavement with it, perhaps that's what Confed ha to do. But that's not the same as targeting the Kilrathi for bigotry, racism or imperialism, it was not a petty maneuver to steal their territory or open their market to sell them products.

The Kilrathi "culture" made them be at constant war to conquer mankind, so not only destroying that "culture" was justifiable, it was the only way at all. The Kilrathi would not surrender and would not accept peace. It was their responsibility to have made this an absolute choice between "genocide" and surrender, so what happened is at least as much their fault as it is Confed’s.

Since the Kilrathi surrender, Confed did act in a respectful and humane way, gave the cats a new home world, not enslaving them or made them suffer terribly for the crimes they perpetrated. We know it was not a purely act of vengeance and hate. The term "genocide" has strong connotations of something hateful and wrong, and if what Confed did was justifiable, or if Confed had no alternative, than its use is at least misleading if not downright wrong.

The destruction of Kilrah was a terrible, terrible thing. But what were the alternatives? Confed would have to fight this war forever, or until one of the sides were defeated. And since the Kilrathi culture dictate they don’t surrender, the only way to defeat them was to destroy this culture. There was no other way.

Saying it was wrong doesn’t cut it. This is a matter of alternatives. If the Kilrathi culture says they can never surrender, how to win against them without destroying this culture? Total destruction? Isn’t the destruction of this part of their culture preferable to their own ultimate doom? A lot of Kilrathi were left after Kilrah. If they had to fight to the last one of them because of their culture, it would not be the case. So how can you say it would be best? What options did Confed have? Surrender? Be enslaved? That’s unacceptable by the culture of Confed. It was a battle of cultures, and one of them had to go.

It gets down to this:

To enslave mankind, the Kilrathi Empire would have to destroy Confed. To prevent this, Confed had to thestroy the Kilrathi Empire. Confed won.

As Thrakkath once said on WC2, such coincidences are very common in WC debates. If having people who uniformly agrees with you on every discussion gave people a dollar, you’d be filthy rich. Apparently, like having an agenda, it’s supposed to be evil only when it happens with me. Not to mention, of course, it *doesn't*, and Edmo and I disagree in a number of things, including, but not limited to, WC.

He doesn’t even agree with me on this thread. He disagrees with you, and apparently that’s the same thing. Either way, it's odd that you think it's inconcievable that anyone could honstly agree with me.

Edfilho said:
No it is not. or else the communists commited genocide when they killed the Tzar's family... a horrible act, but not genocide. We don't know if the part of the nar Kiranka Clan was eligible for the throne, nor how big it was.

The communists did however commit genocide when they starved millions of Ukrainians on the 30's and when they killed millions more on several occasions. The assassination of the royal family was just one of their crimes. Bad example.

Bandit LOAF said:
Gosh darnit, Ed, that's what this giant thread was *about* -- we had a long discussion about how the Kilrathi couldn't actually wipe out mankind because their entire economy and way of life and conceot of expansion is based around slavery, we had a long talk about how failing to destroy Kilrah didn't necessarily mean that Earth would be destroyed... everything you just summarized in this paragraph is something we debated to bits in this specific thread.

And as you can see, my own point is about mankind being *enslaved*, not *destroyed*. Paladin and Melek make this clear. The Kilrathi Culture was built around slavery and warfare. While this was still the case, there could be no peace, as Confed learned the hard way. And since the Empire and the Culture were built in a way destroying one would mean destroying the other, you ended up with WC3. Terrible, but perhaps the only for Confed to win the war.

Back