Casey a wimp

I always liked the way Maestro and Casey behaved. It reminded me so much to Starship Troopers. They were funny to listen to and were a nice contrast to Blair. I also think that Casey really changes during the game, he's getting much more serious later on. About Maestro: He is ok in the movies, but I HATE that he never keeps his mouth shut when flying.

Originally posted by Sonntag
I always liked the way Maestro and Casey behaved.
I too really enjoyed Maestro's clowning. I thought that both he and Casey would make worthy successors to Blair/Maniac should the series continue. Ironically, I enjoyed Hamil's protrayal of the grissled veteran Blair the most. I say ironically because it was (more than likely) his last appearance in a WC game.

I enjoyed every second i could see Blair in the game but then had to play several missions till i could see this old hero again.!!

Maniac didn't behave like maniac he was more serious throughout prophecy then he was on the last WC 3 mission!
ATTACK on kilrah

As for Luke Skywalker he did look young in Star wars episode iV but he didn't behave wimpy and you never felt (hmm what does this child do in a sci fi movie)

Originally posted by Cadfael

Maniac didn't behave like maniac he was more serious throughout prophecy then he was on the last WC 3 mission!
ATTACK on kilrah

Maniac's perspective on life changed in WC4. It was quite touching to see something make him take life seriously for once.

I was actually a bit disappointed with Maniac in WCP. Wilson's character almost seemed forced - like he was tired of the part.

ATTACK on kilrah
Let's Not forget Maniac was given command of the Black Widows squadron and charged with the responsabilities of command. The death's of those under his command hit him hard. He had every reason to be more serious.

I think the acting was ok, I just missed the interactivity in the FMV's like in the other games, where choices in the FMV's affected the wingmen and so on. With all those pilots in the briefing room, they could have made it like WCIII where you pick your wingman. I thought the little deal with Blair and Flint and Rachel in WCIII was neat, making a choice between them, that was a twist! I would bet there would have been tons more in Prophecy had it not been for that budget cut.

RFB

Remember though Casey strated out as a 2nd Lt. He didn't have much authority so picking wingmen likely wasn't going to happen. Late in the game you do get to pick your craft (a couple times.) I saw that as a growth in respect for Casey's judgement. I also liked the Flint/Rachel thing and thought they might include something like that as well in Prophecy. I imagine it was a combination of cuts and "we did this love triangle thing already." I was hoping over the course of the games to see Casey work his way up the ranks some. Perhaps move back down the Diamond backs or Widows and take a command position, where he could select wingmen. I also enjoyed the Blair scenes, the one after Casey mixed it up with Maniac in particular.

[Edited by Shane on 04-18-2001 at 16:41]

Originally posted by RFBurns
I think the acting was ok, I just missed the interactivity in the FMV's like in the other games, where choices in the FMV's affected the wingmen and so on. With all those pilots in the briefing room, they could have made it like WCIII where you pick your wingman. I thought the little deal with Blair and Flint and Rachel in WCIII was neat, making a choice between them, that was a twist! I would bet there would have been tons more in Prophecy had it not been for that budget cut.

RFB

That could be something to implement in WC6 (if it is ever released), but as it was stated rightly here, Casey is a rookie that is coming directly from the academy, so he cannot chose his wingman, nor can he chose the ship he is flying. I actually appreciated that WCP displayed the command structure correctly, and I never missed that I could not chose my fighter myself as a 2nd Lt. The only one I really disliked was the CAG, she was nothing like Halcylon...

A bit interactivity in the videos could have been good, but I'd guess that this would have required more movie scenes to be implemented in the game... Maybe next time.

As for Luke Skywalker he did look young in Star wars episode iV but he didn't behave wimpy and you never felt (hmm what does this child do in a sci fi movie)

Yeah but in Empire he was a whiny bitch. "Oh I cant lift a simple starfighter with my mind, boo hoo, I suck, the Force sucks I'll never learn it despite the fact some little green guy as tall as my knee can knock a planet out of orbit"

Originally posted by RFBurns

Yeah, I'd have liked to see that sort of thing too...however, in an interview, Richard Garriot made it VERY clear that there would be none of that in Prophecy (which was still know then as WCV). He remarked that all major decisions would be done in-game, so ""if you shoot a guy down, you won't get to meet him at the bar" or something like that. My memory is very vague pertaining to that quote.

And what happened to Maniac Missions? Garriot mentioned that Origin was working on it, but I guess the budget cuts made it go the way of the wooly mammoth...sniff...

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF
Maniac Missions was never a serious project -- it was something CGW hyped up for no reason...

Really? I got the information from the October 1996 PC Gamer interview with Richard Garriot.

I may be a little late on this thread, but in terms of the big bad assed hero everyone wants the main character to be, I think Casey and Maestro were pretty good representations of new recruits who hadn't seen anything yet. Remember from WW1 all the way through to Vietnam the average age of a soldier was about 20 years old, just look at any pics from war/history books...

Yeah but look at mel gibson in the war movie
Galipoli
he is 20 years too but he is cool and at no point wimpy at all!!
And as another note i never saw a combat pilot who is 20 years old thats the time when you start th academy not end it therefore casey is too young for me he may be able to fly a war plane from ww1 but no high tech seath machine like a piranha nor an arrow or whatever!

You've never seen a 20 year old pilot? Did you miss World War II?

Casey was 25, though (2681-2654=25).

The 2nd world war was another situation. They needed pilots and the machines really weren't very complicated...except the big ones. But they were normally flown by older pilots with more experience, because they were more expensive...:)
Not by 'chickens' (one expression of our club for relatively new graduated pilots...).
But did they need pilots at P.? The Kilrathi war had ended years ago. Though Confed didn't need to put half-educated pilots in machines...
But 25 is really the right age....it's even today normal I think. Today if you join army with 18 after examination, then you fly a combad airplane with 25.
But with 20...that is really too young if you think that the education takes 2-3 years or longer...

Back