carriers

The Midway class has just as much room for defense guns,the designers just did'nt utilize it correctly.As for the Concordia since I've never played the game(s) with it I can't give an honest opinion, but the only one I've ever lost is the Intrepid.Personally I prefer the Victory and the Midway(love catapult)

Originally posted by LeHah
No, Weasel is correct. The Vesuvius-class has a single launch bay, so even though that single bay is larger than any of the Midway's, it still can only launch (at most) a pair of fighters at a time in a side-by-side launch (Going by the in-game).

Even if space wasn't the issue, the Midway has six individual launch bays that allow it to get out 3 times the power in the same amount of time. Instead of waiting for every single fighter to come out individually or in pairs, the Midway can deploy 6 at once, one wave after another. It's simple math.

I would say you are wrong because in the Vesuvius the fighters could stream out in a line perhaps 2 by 2 but they could be right behind each other. Wheras the Midway could only launch 6 then it has to reload the launchers then it has to launch again

After considering this for some time, I have come to a conclusion. While the Midway can indeed launch 6 at a time, with the Vesuvius only two... the Midway needs time to reload the launch tubes. A spacecraft doesn't need much of a runway, and there could be at least 20-30 fighters lined up two-by-two on the vesuvius' runway. Thus, in the time it took the Midway to launch 12, the Vesuvius could have it's full compliment in the air. :D
So, in a scramble situation, the Vesuvius would have all it's fighters out first.

Edit- In the time it took me to post this, someone else put out the exact same point, in a shorter fashion. Go figure. :D

I do seem to remember it saying in WC4 the novel that the Intrepid did it that way since she had no catapult and a short deck,I could be wrong,..but if I am someone will know:D

Originally posted by Napoleon

I would say you are wrong because in the Vesuvius the fighters could stream out in a line perhaps 2 by 2 but they could be right behind each other. Wheras the Midway could only launch 6 then it has to reload the launchers then it has to launch again

Just because the speed of the crain in WCP was slow when *we* saw it, this was to give us a good shot of the ship, there is no reason to believe it cannot work faster in emergency situations.

If the Midway really needs to scramble its fighters, there's nothing to prevent it from launching them out of the two landing bays.

Couple 'o comments.

Firstly, we've seen the 'crane' thingy work on the Midway. But what it really doesn't tell us is how closely you can pack them together. The crane deposits a fighter into the launch tunnel, the hatch closes and the ship launches. While the hatch is closing, another crane could be positioning another fighter for launch.
Open hatch - load fighter - close hatch - launch - Repeat
You're limited by the opening and closing time of the hatch, which really isn't that long.

Secondly, the Versuvius (or any 'conventional' carrier for that matter) isn't going to just stream fighters off the deck in long line, and here are several reasons:
- The fighters must be brought out of the hangers and lined up on the flight deck prior to launch. Try to do this too quickly and you wind up with chaos.
- The thrust behind a fighter blasting off the flight deck must be VERY significant. Current carriers raise a shield behind the fighter to deflect this. There must be a minimum spacing between fighters, or the trailing fighter will get cooked/damaged.
- If you launch the fighters too closely together, if something happens to a leading fighter, you would wind up with an enormous pile-up on your flight deck. It would be every Kilrathi pilots dream to see a line of fighters trying to stream off the flight deck. All he has to do is slow one fighter and he's crippled the entire flight deck. I would be VERY surprised if a fighter attempted to launch before the previous one had cleared the deck, even in a scramble situation.

I would doubt that the Versuvius can launch fighters faster than the Midway. Perhaps the open flight deck is slightly quicker than the Midways catapult system, but it is unlikely to faster than all six in operation and far more susceptable to enemy attack while it is lauching.

Except that the fighters are stored in an assembly-line style loading sequence... it'd take longer to move them to the launch bays than you think. In fact, I seriously doubt it'd be possible without slowing the entire process.
I agree with Napoleon, though. We should go by what we SEE, not what we think is possible. As far as I could tell, the launch system was moving as fast as possible without smashing the ship down on the launching brackets... There is a limit to how quickly things can be done.
Edit- Also, if you've flown through the Vesuvius, you know it's several fighter-lengths in distance. it takes quite a while at top speed to run from one end to the other.... That's a lot of fighters to launch, and the Vesuvius didn't seem to have any trouble launching pair upon pair immediately after each other... which leads me to believe the end-to-end concept isn't so far-flung.

Originally posted by Thymerlord
Personally I prefer the Victory and the Midway(love catapult)

...Um, there's no "in-game" indication that either of those USE catapults...

Sure, the WC *books* describe catapults (but lotsa folks have never read the books), and one can *infer* from the overall config'n of the launch tubes (and the FMV cutscene) that there MIGHT be a cat mechanism, but based solely on the games themselves, we don't know that 4 sure...

I guess what I'm sayin' is, what's the relevance of "loving catapults" when you'd never know that they were even bein' used?...

:confused:

If it's in the books, it's canon. The Victory has catapults, as does every damned ship but the BWS Intrepid, as you needed boosters to clear the deck.

we get launched from a catapult during the WCP launch sequences. Why do you think you reach over 2000 klicks per launch?

Originally posted by Valor NR
...The reason Midway has this type of launching system so it is to prevent a fighter craft flying in and destroying it from inside the hangar

That's partly true, but there's a second reason: In a single hangar carrier, if an enemy DOES manage to fly in & foul the deck, it totally cripples launch operations. With the Midway's design, you essentially eliminate that possibility on two fronts:

a) Flying into a launch *tube* is near impossible to do, and

b) If an enemy DID somehow manage to do that on the Midway, they'd only take down 1/6th of the launch capacity, and the other 5 tubes will still continue to launch whilst the stricken tube is repaired. Pretty good design twist! (I believe all this is referred to in the WCP manual, also)

Originally posted by Mav23
too bad on the Cerberus they only had one tube... and one bay...

Well after all, it WAS only a Strike Cruiser, and not a full fledged carrier...

Which raises the question: Isn't this the first WC game (well, OK, expansion pack) where you play thru the whole campaign stationed on anything LESS than a carrier?... (I've only gotten all the way thru WC 3 & 4 thus far, but from what I've read, it seems yer always on carriers...).

The Victory was a Light Carrier and the Intrepid was a Heavy Destroyer. Also, the Concordia was a dreadnought.

TC

The Intrepid was a destroyer conversion, but by the time the modifications were complete, it was far more carrier than destroyer. As for the Victory, a light carrier is still a carrier. :)

Best, Raptor

The intrepid was *still* a destroyer. And how is a destroyer any more a carrier than a strike cruiser?

TC

Back