carriers

Thymerlord

Rear Admiral
I know this is odd but I was wondering what is the most popular carrier, by ease of defense, ease of landing or even looks?

ease of defence and looks = Confederation Class Dreadnought Concordia Landing= Ranger and Concordia and durango class carriers

The Concordia only has seven AMGs in-game.

Visually, I think Confederation dreadnoughts look the best. The Midway carriers look quite nice too. Actually, so do the Hades cruisers, a giant pointy thingy. :)

The Concordia was probably the easiest to defend, especially with that PTC against capships. The Midway's lasers always seemed pathetic against fighters and torpedoes.

Really, the Concordia and the Midway should take out the "Easiest to Land" award because of the ACLS. ;)

That is just sad.but, it is a good idea though. a wing commander christmas song...............hmmm.....new project idea to keep me busy! hehe

anyways, definately the concordia for best looking, and concordia and midway for landing.

We already have a Christmas message. WHy not create a song as well? Zor, you're right. It is a good idea. :)

Best looks: I'll take the Tiger's Claw
Easiest to defend: I never lost the Claw or the Concordia, thus I think those were the easiest to defend
Easiest to land on: Victory. Just fly straight into the big hole. Of course, automatic landing on the Midway is fairly easy too. :)

I disliked to auto-landing in Prophecy. I felt cheated since I loved to land manually. :(

Except "manual" landings are essentially the same thing, except you have to touch the throttle.

That is true Frosty, though I tried to make it as difficult as possible for me. Ya know, accelerate to afterburn and come toward the Victory or Intrepid or Lexington at an ascue angle and make it a little interesting for me. :)

I'll take a heavily modified Vesuvius-class carrier; the 'flat-top' design leaves plenty of room for defensive/offensive weaponry or other good gadgets. The way that fighters launched off of the Midway seemed a little time consuming to me. I'm positive that in magnum launches, a Vesuvius can get it's entire fighter complement out before a Midway could. Also, they had excellent shield generators that were better than any ship I had ever seen in any space sim. Believe me, I love Midways, but with all the available space for improvement on a Vesuvius....oh the possibilities!:)

Originally posted by Wulf
I'm positive that in magnum launches, a Vesuvius can get it's entire fighter complement out before a Midway could.

I don't think so. Take a look at these pictures...

wcpmidway.jpg

wcsosupercarrier.jpg

I see six launch bays on a Midway-class fleet carrier and only one on a Vesuvius-class carrier. What do you see?

Last edited by a moderator:
The Midways Lauch and recover systems are superior defenseively so to speak. The reason Midway has this type of launching system so it is to prevent a fighter craft flying in and destroying it from inside the hangar. But it is true you can probably get more fighters out in the vesuvius than in the midway for scramble.

You can launch 6 fighters *per round* in the Midway, and the fighters are positioned in the launch tubes by grapples (as seen in the WCP launch FMV), that is faster than the 3 or 4 fighters that can be launched in the Vesuvius *per round*(having one big hangar maybe more than 4 fighters launching,specially in a scramble, can collide with each other), and they are positioned by the deck officers and personnel. (if is the same method than WC3 and 4),

No, Weasel is correct. The Vesuvius-class has a single launch bay, so even though that single bay is larger than any of the Midway's, it still can only launch (at most) a pair of fighters at a time in a side-by-side launch (Going by the in-game).

Even if space wasn't the issue, the Midway has six individual launch bays that allow it to get out 3 times the power in the same amount of time. Instead of waiting for every single fighter to come out individually or in pairs, the Midway can deploy 6 at once, one wave after another. It's simple math.

Back