carriers

I wish there was a WC ship creator like there was for Star Trek, so I could chase you with your biscuits burning! j/k!

Originally posted by AzraeL
...I would expect the outside of the launch tunnel to be protected by an armored hatch, that is only opened when the fighter is about to launch.

It appears, from the outside of the ship, that that's exactly what they did. Whether or not the hatch was "armored" is unknown, but IIRC that this is so...

Originally posted by Excalibur
Do you think that the hanger doors on the Midway are shilded?

1) Q: Are U talkin' 'bout the "hangar" (the single--or is it "pair of"--places aft of the ship, where you land), or the launch tubes at the ship's front? Thus far we've been dealing with the launch tubes...

2) The configuration of the Miday is such that the hangar (meaning the place where you land) doesn't appear to have any "doors". If it does, they're "always open", from every landing I've seen/done in WCP. They would pretty much HAFTA be shielded, if for no other reason than to keep atmosphere inside. Secondly, not to shield 'em would be, um, "bad design" (see below). In short, they're rather like a "one-ended" version of the open flight deck on the Victory (which has 2 ends)

3) As to whether or not the launch tubes' doors are shielded, IIRC that they are, simply 'cuz they are an integral part of the ship. If they weren't, that would make a "weak spot" that the bugs could exploit. Perhaps the question is, "do the tube doors have any *extra* shielding beyond the "general" shields about the rest of the Midway's exterior?"...

The launch tubes on the MIDWAY also have what appear to be some sort of armored blast doors. During the launch sequence, if you watch closely, just as the view begins, you can see the doors opening up. It happens very quickly, and is easy to miss.

Yeah are you talking about the launching sequence or the movie when you are placed in the launcher? Either way you are correct Phoenix.

I think we're talking about the actual launch sequence.

The doors to the launcher are just someting to make it harder for attacks that breach the launcher to reach the hanger.

You can just see it now, can't you:

Crewman: "The bay doors are still shut!"

Flight Controller: "Oh God! Abort the...."

Launch Officer: "Launch!"

Pilot: "Mummy!"

Everyone else: "Oh, shit..." :p

Best, Raptor

You could do that in Space Quest I (in the VGA remake at least), launch a shuttle without opening the bay doors. In one word, Ouch...
If I remember correctly, the whole ship blows up when you do that. Talk about bad ship design! :D
The other extreme was opening the doors and walk into the bay without a space suit. Also ouch!
Yes, SQ1 had very interesting ways to die... (a hell of a lot more interesting than crashing into an asteroid!)

Originally posted by Raptor
You can just see it now, can't you:

Crewman: "The bay doors are still shut!"

Flight Controller: "Oh God! Abort the...."

Launch Officer: "Launch!"

Pilot: "Mummy!"

Everyone else: "Oh, shit..." :p

Best, Raptor

sorry to go off track, but Raptor gets a medal for making the whole architecture group laugh with that one!!!!

What about me? I prompted the idea in the first place. :(

Just kidding. Raptor made a good dramatisation there. :)

Back