Capships

Okay, here they are (I'm so proud of myself, I figured out how to place and resize the turrets without having to ask Quarto about it :D)
shot0006.png

shot0007.png

Feedback's welcome.

--Eder

Originally posted by Eder
Okay, here they are (I'm so proud of myself, I figured out how to place and resize the turrets without having to ask Quarto about it :D)
Damn you Eder, damn you to hell!

...Hmm, wait. Less work to do... good thing ;).

Hey, by the way, just out of curiosity (yeah, right :D), what is that carrier on the cover of End Run (a CVE, I assume... but I've never actually read the novel, so I wouldn't know), and most importantly, is there any place where I could find any other pictures of it? You know... just for me to look at ;)

--Eder

Your Broadsword looks AWESOME!

Beside this: I've seen some other Broadsword models( I forgot where) and no one textured them to look like in Privateer. Has anyone seen such a model anywhere?

Well... it's not *really* the Tarawa... the number's wrong. It probably is, however, a CVE of the same class.

TC

Maybe it's just the Tarawa under a different designation <G>
Sort of like in WC2, where all Waterloo-class cruisers seem to take turns being "CC-8" :)

--Eder

Currently in Eder's shipyards, based on the End Run cover and on Darkmage's model:

shot0008.png

--Eder

Looking at the End Run cover, I believe that you've misplaced the hangar, Eder. I mean, the Tarawa's approach is supposed to be rough, but this would be suicide :). There's that tower/radar/unidentified thingy that should be right in front of that spot, according to the cover.
There is some slight indication that the hangar is in fact at the bottom of the ship, which would probably be the best solution given the lack of obvious spaces on top.

Originally posted by Quarto
Looking at the End Run cover, I believe that you've misplaced the hangar, Eder. I mean, the Tarawa's approach is supposed to be rough, but this would be suicide :). There's that tower/radar/unidentified thingy that should be right in front of that spot, according to the cover.

Yep, that thing is still missing... That and the bridge are the parts I still need to model.

There is some slight indication that the hangar is in fact at the bottom of the ship...

There is? Thank god! :) You just made my life a whole lot easier now... I actually thought about placing it there, but I didn't know if that would contradict anything stated in the novel.

What about the rest of the ship? How do you like it?

--Eder

Eder, I have begun improving my crufty old mesh even as we speak, I am adding the Gilgamesh class engines which I ripped from the original wc2 mesh to the new chassis

Originally posted by Eder Yep, that thing is still missing... That and the bridge are the parts I still need to model.
And those weird missile-like things at the front of the hull.
There is? Thank god! You just made my life a whole lot easier now... I actually thought about placing it there, but I didn't know if that would contradict anything stated in the novel.
Well, like I said, it's not exactly 100% certain evidence. Still, if you see something on the bottom of the ship while on final approach... that's gotta mean something ;).
BTW, the novel is available in PDF format from this site :). You may want to consider reading at least the parts that describe the CVE.
What about the rest of the ship? How do you like it?
Well, I always thought the CVEs were a ridiculous design, but in this case I'll make an exception :). It's not looking great, yet, but once it's it's fully textured, it will.

And those weird missile-like things at the front of the hull.

Those will be replaced by... (can you guess what?) missile turrets! :)

BTW, the novel is available in PDF format from this site :). You may want to consider reading at least the parts that describe the CVE.

I downloaded it already, but somehow a lot of the letters are missing, and I can't seem to fix it... it's really annoying trying to guess what each word was supposed to be. I did read the part when Bear is approaching the Tarawa for the first time, though. That bit has info on the hangar and on the weapons placement. (I'm still trying to figure out which capship Broadswords will be launched from. The CVE's hangar is too small to house them, and my guess is that the Waterloo's hangars are too small as well.

--Eder

Actually, Eder, I get the impression that those things were not simply missiles - they looked like... I dunno, fuel tanks or something. Much too big to be missiles or even capship missiles.

The Waterloo may be too small to house Broadswords, or it might not. What we do know is that it ain't small enough to launch Crossbows (which are, admittedly, a bit smaller). A lot of people complain about Crossbows, but they were fairly capable bombers IMHO (and certainly, no matter what their stats were, they looked just bloody great)... why not use them, and restrict the Broadswords to the Perry base? An alternative solution would be to have a very limited number of Broadswords, and say that they actually dock externally. I'm certain that, given the Broadsword's inter-system capabilities, the ability to dock with capships would not have been forgotten.

I'll probably restrict Broadsword use to the starbases (yes, plural... but only if I ever manage to get capships to work in SO), and use Sabres for all other torpedo runs... but since there's still room for another flyable ship in the flight sim, I guess it wouldn't hurt to add the Crossbow, too...

--Eder

Back