Capships

Eder

Mr. Standoff
I looked at SO's capship meshes, and noticed that there's a mesh for the main hull, and then more meshes for each component and their destroyed versions... however, I'm still not sure how to make capships for WCP/SO. First, what's this whole TREE deal? I don't understand what it is, and (as a consequence, perhaps :)) I can't get it to work. And second, how do I glue all the components together? Does each of them need a TREE, and a mesh script? How does it work?

TIA,
--Eder

Check the tutorial, a capship isnt that different from a corvette.
Tree (colision tree) are created to make capships colidable and hitable (does this words even exist? ;) ).
In order to make a capship, you need to get the main hull and each components (bridge, engines...) into iff format and make a tree for each one. the newest modelc can create one for you easily. Then take a look at the midway ship iff for example:

FORM "COMP" //component meshes
{
FORM "BRID" //bridge component
{
CHUNK "DATA"
{
cstring "midway_bridge" //hardpoint component is attached to
cstring "midbr01" //mesh component
cstring "midbr01d" // mesh of destroyed component
float 2000 //component hardpoints
}
}
}

You need in the hardpoint editor place the hardpoint indicated into the ship iff to attach the component. (any name you want)
for other component types chack the ships iff, they are all very self explanatory.

Turrets are also different:

FORM "TLST"
{
FORM "GTUR"
{
CHUNK "DATA"
{
cstring "turret_01_midhtr"
cstring "midhtr"
float 131072
}
CHUNK "BULL"
{
long 10
}
FORM "MOVS"
{
CHUNK "LIMT"
{
float 180
float 180
float 90
}
CHUNK "BARL"
{
cstring "midtrhg"
}
}
}
}

You can have more than the 6 turrets limit on the corvette, dont know wich the limit is. In corvettes you're also limited to six per mission, what doesnt happen with capships. Plus you can have lots of vdu display slots. ;)

Ok, I've tried doing everything a dozen times, but it still crashes the game. My guess is something's wrong with the model itself...

Anyone wanna take a look at this for me? I've ran out of ideas :( It's nothing too complex, I guess (at least not for you guys :p)... the model has 1010 triangles, uses 3 textures, and besides the main hull, it was supposed to have a bridge, one engine, two hangars, and 8 gun turrets.

--Eder

Thanks. I've sent it to the email address I found on your site. You can take as long as you want to, because I've decided to make a Broadsword model, and that's hard enough to take me some time :p

--Eder

Well since we're talking about modeling here, I have a small question or two. I was attempting to view a .max model in a program called 3D exploration. It was the one of the dragon available on the CIC site in the 3D models section. Unfortunately, all that displayed was some sort of gatling gun barrel as soon as I loaded it. I haven't the foggiest clue what to do to get the whole thing displayed. Could someone else download the wretched thing and tell me if they're having any problems with it. I myself am just going to use the thing to make a lego model of the thing, lol, but help would be appreciated. :p

I dont think 3d exploration can open max files :(

Eder, i got your model. One thing is that the components are not centered, SO ships work that way, but unfortunatelly, dont know why, it doesnt work for me :(
So you need to get each component centered in its axis, this is the point where the hardpoint will attach the component to the main hull, and where it will the torpedoes lock on.
So you need to get them in separated files. One model just the main hull, one just for the engines and so on...and need to conver them all separatedly.
You might want to send me the iffs you made, so i can take a look at what you did and may find whats wrong, withouth having to redo all of it again.

Finalmente um e-mail em protuguês sobre WC! :D

Originally posted by KillerWave
Finalmente um e-mail em protuguês sobre WC! :D

Get ready for another one, then :D
I'm going to re-center, re-convert, re-scale, re-tree, and re-compile everything... then I'll email you the .IFFs

In the meantime... do you have any idea why does my "make tree" button in modelc give me a "bsp.dll not found" error? (Yes, probably because it can't find bsp.dll :) but where am I supposed to find that file?)

--Eder

EEEEEEITTTAA!
hehehe

me assustei agora
olho do nada pro board e a primeira mensagem q eu vejo é em portugues heheh
q porra

Brasil:Tuvieron culo de entrar al mundial, perdieron aca,en Bolivia y en el Morumbi!!!!
HHAHAHAHAHAHAH

Ok, ok, this Chat Zone's official language is English, so I'm afraid I can't understand a single word from your last post, Ghost ;)

BTW, KillerWave... I got the file, and modelc's make tree button works fine now. I'll send you the IFFs for the Gilgamesh as soon as I get some free time to do it :(

--Eder

Now, now...lets keep the subject wc-related. Or else the admins will get angry. Its not nice to keep braging about or soccer superiority Kalfor. You will just let the others upset ;). Lets get back onto wc.

I know, but it doesnt matter. If you are going to listen to every idiotic comment from people about soccer (no disrespect intended to Ghost anyway) you're in deep trouble ;)

People, please don't stupidify this thread. I plan on posting Broadsword screenshots here, and I can't do that after the thread is closed. <G>

--Eder

Back