Battlestar Galactica on SCI-FI.com - WOW!

Hey, sometimes you just have to sit back and enjoy a movie about a naked space vampire who hijacks a British space shuttle, travels to Earth and inhabits Captain Picards body... and makes him kiss a guy. And... lots of other stuff. It was the most amazingly densely packed movie I've ever seen.

I read that link LeHah:
...is a highly flawed, sometimes corny, but occasionally scary film. Although the dialogue is bad, numerous technical mistakes are made (especially the entire nature of military training exercises), and the climax is somewhat confusing, the film maintains an unsettling atmosphere...
Wait... was that link quoting about BSG or the Zombie movie?
I'm planning to watch tonights BSG though- I guess the Gallactica battles it out with some Cylons over some fuel. I can put up with alot for some good space battles.

BSG tonight was freaking awesome. I was so impressed by the starfighter battles and the excellent use of the rope-a-dope maneuver. It was great. And they totally beat the piss outta the Cylons. Great starfighter combat and excellent character development between Cmdr. Adama and his son.

What was with the score? This is the first episode I've watched in a while - was this some stupid experiment or is the whole show like this now? I'm not sure which sarcastic comment to make. It's a toss-up between "Finally, an episode of Battlestar Galactica that celebrates the rich Irish culture of the fictional space colonies." and "Hey, 'We Were Soldiers' threw up all over Battlestar Galactica."

Also, I want to strangle whoever thought "Godspeed, Apollo" was a clever line. Strangle *hard*.

Bandit LOAF said:
What was with the score?

Also, I want to strangle whoever thought "Godspeed, Apollo" was a clever line. Strangle *hard*.

I thought the score was an improvement over last week's episode. Such an improvement. I thought the music was actually decent.

And I must have missed that line. Though yea, if it was there, and probably it was...that is cliche and lame.

the celtic tribal music struck me as a odd choice;

was nice to see an actual space battle however, and an exciting one at that.

Celtic music seems to be bleeding into third-tier science ficition more often. First, Earth: Final Conflict and now BSG2005.

This episode was real good. The space battle was done extremely well. Not just in the CGI-sense, but in how it was integrated into the episode.

Moving around tabletop models to actually help outline the flow of the battle and the progression of the "outside of the box" plan worked really well; it looked a hell of a lot better than watching blips bleep on a computer console, and probably saved them a few bucks on lame expository FX shots. Plus it was wonderfully retro.

I loved how nobody thought Apollo could handle the mission. You knew he was probably going to end up pulling it off, but having Starbuck say to him "you aren't as good as me, and you'll probably screw it up" and his dad say "I really really hope you don't die" to his FACE is a lot better than them saying "you'll be great!" and then having a worried face as soon as Apollo turns away.

The buildup to the battle was good. Getting a textbook plan, and then throwing it out in favor of a creative plan is standard/classic. The deception of the show, keeping the viewer (and the President) in the dark about the details of the new plan was good. When the battle started, and things started going bad, I asked "Hey, where's Apollo?" and pretty much figured out that something interesting was going to happen. The interesting thing wasn't terribly surprising, but the surprise of the characters on-screen helped tickle me in the good places.

Bandit LOAF said:
What was with the score? This is the first episode I've watched in a while - was this some stupid experiment or is the whole show like this now? I'm not sure which sarcastic comment to make. It's a toss-up between "Finally, an episode of Battlestar Galactica that celebrates the rich Irish culture of the fictional space colonies." and "Hey, 'We Were Soldiers' threw up all over Battlestar Galactica."

Lolz, yeah why didn't they get John Willaims to do the music for this episode? All triumphent spaec music should sound like him (or maybe Glodsmith).

But seriously, that scene needed to happen. Apollo just blew up the Death Star, and if there wasn't some kind of shot of the triumphant return, the episode would have fallen flat and seemed less believable. The music was different, but it was good, and worked. That was the longest non-ambient/minimalist piece of music outside of the main titles, which it is similar to in style (UK version, anyways... which I guess doesn't count).

They did an excellent job with the space battle. I liked how they incorperated strategy and included a wide variety of battles- air to air dogfights as well as ground assaults. Appollo finding a creative way around the ground complex's firing solution reminded me of playing WC. I'm always looking for those blind spots when I attack capships, ground complex's, and tanks. I haven't liked the dialogue, plot, and questionable technical aspects of previous episodes, but I haven't been disappointed by the space battles. Hopefully they'll begin to have alot more of them. I also wondered about the Celtic music. I like Celtic music, but it was hard to incorperate the "Braveheart" feelings it evoked into a futuristic sci-fi movie about people from an alien planet. In previous episodes they seemed to use a middle-eastern influenced Homeworld 2 type sound. I wonder why they switched? I would guess they were trying to give the T.V. series a "movie" kind of feel.

Lolz, yeah why didn't they get John Willaims to do the music for this episode? All triumphent spaec music should sound like him (or maybe Glodsmith).

They probably cost more than could reasonably be budgeted for a TV show.

But seriously, that scene needed to happen. Apollo just blew up the Death Star, and if there wasn't some kind of shot of the triumphant return, the episode would have fallen flat and seemed less believable. The music was different, but it was good, and worked. That was the longest non-ambient/minimalist piece of music outside of the main titles, which it is similar to in style (UK version, anyways... which I guess doesn't count).

... I'm not complaining about the existence of any scene (aside from that awful joke), I just think the music (throughout the episode) was a really stupid choice. Having a score that implies a very specific culture makes absolutely no sense when your TV show is about space people who are wholly unconnected to Earth. (It's emotion-for-the-sake-of-emotion instead of trying to have any meaning.)

PeteyG said:

John Williams is a little more than $500,000 per film. Jerry Goldsmith is dead.

Bandit LOAF said:
Having a score that implies a very specific culture makes absolutely no sense when your TV show is about space people who are wholly unconnected to Earth. (It's emotion-for-the-sake-of-emotion instead of trying to have any meaning.)
Actually, the space people in Battlestar Galactica are very closely connected to Earth. There are a lot of strong cultural and religious ties to old civilizations; worshipping a Greekish pantheon of gods, characters with Greek and Roman names (Gaius, Valeri, Agathon, Thrace), the UK title has a woman singing in Sanskrit (I couldn't verify the actual language personally), and other such stuff. The original show's big huge theme of "life here began out there" was one of the neatest things about it, and is why there are all of these cultural references to old Earth culture in the current one.

I mean, it's OK if you don't like it. But I don't think that's a valid criticism due to the show's specific effort to incorporate ancient Earth cultural elements.

Back