Battlestar Galactica on SCI-FI.com - WOW!

Bandit LOAF said:
Also, only the Sci Fi Channel can advertise medication for eye Herpes in primetime.
LMAO:D:D:D:D!!! I saw that too, I was like what in the Herpes Hell was that!? "Herpes eye creme by Mennen... common side effects include headaches, nausea, dizziness and crabs.." I also saw the herpes add where the girl with herpes is riding her bike with her boyfriend. I always feel sorry for that poor guy, just smiling along, riding with his girlfriend.. She always looks like she's hiding something from him.. It makes me wonder: "Does he know she has that!!??"

Posted by Spien:
I thought the guy playing Adama was pretty good, but he's the only person who's acting really stood out. He really has the cynical old commander roll down. Baltar was decent as well.
Well, I do agree that Baltar did a great job- certainly better than the original Baltar.. The original Baltar would look like he's trying to trick everybody, but it was obvious to anyone over 4 years old. The New Baltar acts like some kind of quirky genius so you never know where he's coming from. Even if he gets twitchy or nervous you'd just think "Oh well, he always acts weird because he's an eccentric genius type." It was cool how they showed he's not totally evil at heart when he has a chance to escape the planet by stealing the poor old woman's number. Instead he's honest even if it's to his own detriment.

But why does everybody TALK SO SOFTLY!!!!! Every character seems to do a mumble/whisper instead of talk. For instance, if the President, or Adama, or his second in command, or Apollo, or on and on.. were mumbling to me in real life like they are in the movie, I might put up with it for a minute or two. Eventually though I'd break down and have to say: "Why are you mumbling instead of talking at a reasonable volume!?"

It's strange to see the people over here disliking the BSG miniseries so much... I thought it was pretty good, and overall (besides on this forum) I get the feeling that that's the general concensus.

I'm also watching the series (downloaded, I can't go around waiting for Dutch terrestrial TV to pick it up sometime in 2015 probably), and it is one of the best sci-fi series I've ever seen, way way way ahead of Enterprise (which however is also getting much better with the recent season 4 eps). The acting is solid, the writing is good, and the themes used are not cliché sci-fi. The combat scenes are sparse, but when they're there they are well executed, and the tactics actually make sense (something I find sorely lacking in Star Trek).

I'm not the only one who feels this way. Despite episode 1 not even having aired yet in the US (which I suppose is the larger part of the target market), the distributor has already ordered 6 additional episodes to be made for season 1 (extending it to 19) based purely on the popularity in the UK.

Of course, it remains a matter of personal taste, and as a Dutch proverb says, you can't argue about that. ;)

Mjr. Whoopass said:
I liked the "shelton slide" that appollo used to shoot the capship missile.. I'll have to try his technique: target missile fly in front of it, match speed, shelton slide, turn around and blow it away!

It would be cool if you could try that in a Wing Commander game, but unfortunately all capship missiles and torpedoes travel faster than any fighter can fly without afterburner, which means that you can't match speed with it.

The new BSG miniseries I thought was quite good...yes there were weak moments but we've all seen weaker moments in all our greatest series: Star Wars Phanton Menace, Star Trek The Motion Picture, the Wing Commander Academy game - (I will not name the Wing Commander Movie because I still like it inspite of it's shortcomings). I feel BSG could become one of the best Sci Fi shows on TV in the near future...the second part of the miniseries was infinitely better than the first and really reeled me in. Unfortunately, I had originally heard that due to the poor showing of the miniseries that the TV show would be cancelled. I take it this is not true...when did they start airing the new episodes and what time slot on the Sci Fi channel? (I suppose I could just switch over to their website...)

Bandit LOAF said:
BSG just managed to hit directly on my biggest pet peeve, which is when science fiction becomes too focused on sex.
I didn't think the sex scenes were that bad. Some of the stuff with Baltar could have been ditched and it would have made things a little better. Besides that, the only other sex scene I can think of is with Boomer and the Chief dude, but that wasn't bad. Also, how can people diss the show, without having seen the whole thing? This remake is far superior to the original show in my opinion.

TopGun said:
Anyone played the PS2 BSG game?
Yep, it's just okay. Not as good as other games in the same genre like Rogue Leader, but definitly a solid shooter in its own right. It was nice to finally blow away a few cylons too. :D

I didn't think the sex scenes were that bad. Some of the stuff with Baltar could have been ditched and it would have made things a little better. Besides that, the only other sex scene I can think of is with Boomer and the Chief dude, but that wasn't bad.

The show opened with an evil Cylon girldroid seducing a random character for absolutely no reason (and then blowing him up).

A problem in my mind is that the things that worked well on the show are the parts that simply recycled the plot of the original BSG movie/pilot. The whole abandoning survivors and coming to terms with the loss of the colonies wasn't new. A lot of the high concept stuff dragged it down -- Cylons looking like sexy girls, the Galactica being a museum instead of a space carrier (a museum full of active duty pilots and fighters that still worked), etc. And all the blatant 'future plot' character stuff was delivered poorly -- the president has breast cancer! The captain and his son don't get along! The XO drinks! It's not even that these are bad storylines, the miniseries just made too big a deal of them. If the Colonel being a drunk is going to be an episode down the line, give him a scene or two with a bottle instead of having Sexy Girl Pilot tell everybody repeatedly.

That, and the stupid baby. I mean, what the hell?

Also, how can people diss the show, without having seen the whole thing? This remake is far superior to the original show in my opinion.

I'm not really sure what that means. People can't judge the miniseries because they've never seen the show that was aired a year later and is still being made? Does that mean we're not allowed to have an opinion on Star Trek yet?

(The original show was kind of fun, and it existed at a point in time where there wasn't really anything else like it on TV. It certainly wasn't high art... and it fell really far really fast with the Galactica 1980 followup:))

Yeah, you've got a point, I forgot about the opening scene, that could have been better. Oh and the ship wasn't a musuem yet, it was just in the process of becoming one. It was supposed to be decomissioned that day and then the crew would got off to their new assignments. If I'm not mistaken, that's how the bulk of the Galactica's fighter wing gets jumped, on there way back to whatever ship they will be reassigned to. However, I could be wrong about that. I guess I already forgot about the opening scene eh. :p

Ijuin said:
It would be cool if you could try that in a Wing Commander game, but unfortunately all capship missiles and torpedoes travel faster than any fighter can fly without afterburner, which means that you can't match speed with it.

Actually, autoslide as implemented in WC3/4 does allow you to lock in AB speed. It's one of the easier ways to get to the target on Kilrah in WC3, even; just make sure you're clear of the mountains, punch up the AB, lock autoslide, then release AB. You cruise along at AB speeds, but just burn fuel at the regular cruise rate.

Not, though, that there were a whole lot of instances one could use that, as a warhead interception technique, and not-infrequently it was just faster to kill the launch platform. (Even theSkipper in Ariel is even doable more easily by killing the launcher; manually fly to the next waypoint with the Skipper-launching 'vette instead of autopiloting, giving you plenty of time to get there before the Vic shows up to trigger that mission's CSM launch event.)

Probably the funniest thing about this new series is the constant and bloody flame wars over it that have been going on at the Sci-Fi.com bboards since the miniseries first came out.

I would imagine that there's a good number of 'classic' BSG fans who are divided over the thing.

Understandably, probably. If I were a crusading fan of the original show for TV years, I'd be pretty angry to see it "re-imagined" no matter the quality. Similar to how people react to the Wing Commander movie, only much, much worse (new series is in the same medium as the original, much more clear that it's retelling the original story).

That's exactly what happened and it isn't pretty. To make matters worse Richard Hatch (Original Apollo) has signed on for a role in the series and the fans kind of feel like they're being stabbed in the back since the sole preserver of the orginal Battlestar Galactica has left them. I think he decided to give in to the new Galactica to try to calm down the fans and try to get them to accept it instead of carrying torches to raid a franchise that he feels very passionate about even if he isn't completely happy himself at how the new show turned out.

Fans were waiting for Hatch's more faithful version of BSG but with the Sci-Fi Channel version it seems pretty unrealistic that Hatch will be able to realize his own now. It's now or nothing for Battlestar and I suppose he realizes this.

I really felt bad for Hatch -- I saw the trailer he did (with his own money!) to sell a followup series when it made the convention rounds several years back... he's just always seemed really passionate about continuing the story, and it's a shame they got someone else to reimagine it instead.

One thing I thought they'd do was *suggest* that the original BSG could have happened earlier in the timeline... the miniseries kind of left that open for the first two hours or so ("old" Vipers, classic Cylons in the blueprints, the captain being a former fighter pilot who'd fought Cylons, etc.).

Yes, it did really feel like they were trying to make it seem like the original Battlestar Galactica did take place at first and I think the nods to the original series were a good idea. It showed that they weren't completely full of themselves with the reimagining and that they respect the source material.

And I agree with you that Hatch really got the short end of the stick on this one.

The original BSG was just bad as a series, the books weren't that bad, and in some cases were very good, but in order to make it into a TV series they made a lot of very bad comprimises. I think that the new shows stays much truer to the original intent of the books and series. Besides we all know the real reason that Loaf has his panties in a bunch over the show. He's an obsessed fanboy wingnut with no life outside wing commander and is pissed they never made a real wing commander TV show.

I hope you've enjoyed your time here, because you're not going to get a second chance.

(I mean, that's just insulting -- Wing Commander Academy was *so* a real TV series. But seriously, folks, if the fact that I didn't like half of the Battlestar Galactica miniseries is enough to drive you to idiocy, you don't belong here.)

Striker, indeed the series has not been cancelled, like I said, even more episodes have been ordered already.

So far 11 episodes have shown on SkyOne in the UK, I think they'll air episode 1 on Sci-Fi either today or tomorrow.

If you watched the first hour of the miniseries, and *only* the first hour of the miniseries, I can see where you got the impression it focussed on sex, but further than that, it's nonsense. Yes, even in the series, there's still at least the suggestion of sex between Baltar and the imaginary Number 6, and also some other moments that under Loaf's criteria would probably qualify as such.

But if there's one thing the series really focuses on it's religion. The Cylons seem obsessed with it, and imaginary Number 6, between the kissing and teasing which she's just doing to confuse Baltar anyway (I think, her motives aren't entirely clear), constantly bothers Baltar about God, and how he should give Him his love, and how he is part of His plan for humanity etc. Especially in episode 10 "The Hand of God" there's an interesting twist in this. Not to mention Cylons predicting the future and some prophecies surrounding the president... I find all this incredibly interesting, and can't wait to see where it leads.

The Cylons also have some weird preoccupation with how love works (yes love, not sex)... but I'll stop here, I don't want to give any major spoilers.

Watch it, all of it, only then you may judge. If you still think it stinks, that's your right, but don't judge prematurely, please.

I certainly plan to watch the series -- but I really find it hard not to judge the miniseries on its own merits, since it was produced independantly and aired more than a year earlier.

I'm not a hard guy to please... I mean, I enjoy Enterprise. The BSG series has some pretty good stuff and some really, really bad stuff it can expand on from the miniseries -- if the writers choose what to follow up on properly, then it could be great. In that case, we can treat the miniseries like an embarassing pilot episode... which lots of great series' have.

Back