Battlestar Galactica on SCI-FI.com - WOW!

They ran the two episodes together to keep people in their seats, I think.

The Olympic Carrier thing could have NOT sucked if they just showed people in the windows when Apollo took a look. That's it! Maybe a few radio pleas for mercy from the pilot.

I think that it would be reasonable to assume that Galactica may possibly potentially have some kind of personnel shortage (for obvious reasons), making extended combat operations extra challenging. Also, as far as I know, when a real warship is at general quarters, pretty much everybody has something to do besides sleep. It's difficult to cry foul on this one, I think, without more information about the condition (and number) of the crew at the time, and how many people it takes to keep the ship fighting.

Enterprise is good now, but the other night's episode didn't tickle me where I liked it. I'd have to put "33" and "Water" a couple of notches above the Enterprise ep. And "33" a notch above "Water", just because the main concept (constantly under attack) was done so well.

Bandit LOAF said:
BSG just managed to hit directly on my biggest pet peeve, which is when science fiction becomes too focused on sex.

It is good to hear that Im not the only one who doesnt like it when Scifi becomes foucused on sex. I have determind that my buddies are sex-craving loonies.

(albeit it one that didn't make sense - why doesn't the crew sleep in shifts like on a real carrier?)

I wondered this too, but the general concesus is saying the Galactica is only being run by a skeleton crew so sleeping in shifts with the possibility of an all out attack wasn't possible. Even when a real life aircraft carrier is at its highest alert status everyone has to remain awake and alert though. The length of time without sleep was needlessly blown out of proportion though.

What bothered me the most about "33" is the fact that it took five days of not sleeping and running every thirty three minutes for Adama to come up with a really simple plan (so simple that I thought it up before he even mentioned it). A plan he never sets into motion anyway. He was doing exactly what the Cylons wanted him to do.

I was impressed with "Water" though. It was a nice change of pace from the "Oh no! Launch fighters, shoot some stuff, bring fighters back, jump to lightspeed!"

I think that it would be reasonable to assume that Galactica may possibly potentially have some kind of personnel shortage (for obvious reasons), making extended combat operations extra challenging. Also, as far as I know, when a real warship is at general quarters, pretty much everybody has something to do besides sleep. It's difficult to cry foul on this one, I think, without more information about the condition (and number) of the crew at the time, and how many people it takes to keep the ship fighting.

It's up to them to tell us this, though - not up to us to assume it. For example, the episode made a painfully huge deal of reminding us that Boomer was a Cylon. A good half the scenes reminding us of what happened in the miniseries were dedicated to telling us how very, very important this plot point was. ("LOOK! CYLONS LOOK LIKE THIS! AND THIS IS WHAT BOOMER LOOKS LIKE! BOOMER IS A CYLON! FREEZE FRAKE -- REMEMBER, CYLONS LOOK LIKE THIS!")

It is good to hear that Im not the only one who doesnt like it when Scifi becomes foucused on sex. I have determind that my buddies are sex-craving loonies.

Well, it's necessary for the contiuation of the species and all that. The biggest problem is that, in general, sci fi writers don't know when to stop -- they're about as mature about the subject as their audience. There's some great examples in sci fi writing that suffered when the tabboo against sex disappeared -- look at Niven's later Ringworld books or Clarke's newer Rama stuff. It is possible to do sex tastefully, but it's a very slipperly slope. (And "what if the aliens are robots who are always trying to have sex with people?" isn't a good place to start.)

It's because they're trying to get Younger (Teens) viewers

I think what we're referring to here goes beyond the idea of adding eye candy to a series. The nature of TV is that all the characters will be pretty in the first place. A show can (and probably should) have pretty girls to attract a certain segment of the audience. Take Seven of Nine... for all the criticism of Voyager, she ended up both improving the ratings *and* being the most interesting character on the show. There's a line between "lets add a pretty girl to our cast" and "lets have everybody have sex!!!!!!!!!".

Is Boxy (sp?) coming back? He showed up in the miniseries along with a threatening line about how they'd find quarters for him on the Galactica.

And where are the Daggits?

Bandit LOAF said:
It's up to them to tell us this, though - not up to us to assume it. For example, the episode made a painfully huge deal of reminding us that Boomer was a Cylon.
I disagree. It's not reasonable to expect the writers to explain every tiny little detail, especially unimportant ones. Expecting to hear an in-depth analysis of the Galactica's crew numbers, shifts, and other trivia is unreasonable. It's not unreasonable to expect the viewer to either connect the dots on their own (which doesn't take much at all in this particular situation), or just suspend their disbelief a tiny bit. That Boomer is a Cylon was important to the story. That the Galactica crew was being pushed to the limit and not getting any sleep was important to the story. That the Galactica and the civilian ships had FTL drives was very important to the story. We don't know how Boomer became a Cylon, or how she infiltrated the Galactica. We don't hear that most everyone has to be at their station for the ship to fight. We don't get a detailed explanation of Battlestar Galactica universe FTL drive theory from Dr. Baltar.

Sometimes TV writers screw things up, contradict themselves, or write stuff that makes people watching go "huh? that ain't right", and fans on the Internet yell "gotcha!".

Some other times TV writers actually do know what they're doing.

I used to watch the old series back in the 80's when it was on tv here. And I also read several of the books, which were a lot better than the series... Imagination is a lot prettier than poor production values, bad 70's hairdos and crappy FX :)

Loaf, do they really want to tie the series together? I mean, weren't the 12 colonies destroyed in the original show?

I hope this this gets here soon.

Yes, but it ended up just being kind of a, "Don't worry, we haven't forgetten this stuff existed..." nod. Kind of makes you want to see a flashback episode where they show the Cylon war fighting against the old school Cylons.

Then again... probably not...

That was the Galactica console game, IIRC. Came out around the same time as the miniseries, with the original ships and the player as a young Adama fighting the Cylons.

no boxy, or daggits. unless they are in episode 3 which i still havn't seen yet.

only the last episode of the season to go now in the UK.

Battlestar Galactica ratings for the US showing of "33" and "Water" are in by the way, it recieved a 2.6 incase anyone was interested. Pretty good for a Sci-Fi show. It set ratings records for the month of January for Sci-Fi and the launch is second the second best in history for the Sci-Fi channel next to Stargate Atlantis' premeir.

The Enterprise episode shown on the same night recieved a 1.8 I believe, I don't remember that one exactly but somewhere in that ballpark. Enterprise usually holds a 2.0 or close to it.

I'm a little bit disappointed that it didn't beat out Atlantis's 3.2 premeire... but a 2.6 is pretty awesome for the scifi channel.

Man SciFi has come a LONG way in the last 10 years. I remember when their biggest things were Buck Rogers and (the original) Battlestar Galactica. Now they're doing big budget, pretty darn decent miniserieses and original serieses left and right and getting awesome ratings.

I wonder why the people on the forums (BSG) are talking about the utter crap they are talking about. Man what weird place that one is.

Man SciFi has come a LONG way in the last 10 years. I remember when their biggest things were Buck Rogers and (the original) Battlestar Galactica. Now they're doing big budget, pretty darn decent miniserieses and original serieses left and right and getting awesome ratings.

Its had its ups and downs. Back in the early days there was some genuinely cool stuff on the Sci Fi channel... (heck, I remember when they showed Doctor Who reruns and every other day was a Twilight Zone marathon). It was a lot more 'genre' oriented, then -- appealing specifically to sci fi geeks instead of everyone who enjoys flashy programming. They used to have a Sci Fi news program where Harlan Ellison yelled at the audience... it was great.

Besides, modern Sci Fi has some pretty big problems. For every episode of Battlestar Galactica and Stargate there seems to be seventeen movies about evil versions of animals attacking. You can't get much cornier than Captain Sheridan fighting evil land-fish.

(And my intense hatred of the univerrse increases each time I flip through the channels and find out that *Sci Fi* is showing Apollo 13...)

BigsWickDagger said:
So, what did you guys think? I was pleased. I liked both episodes. They did a nice job and I'll tune in again for more. I tried to watch it twice but my girlfriend started getting a little pissed. At least she knows this could become a Friday ritual.

I enjoyed it as well. AND it definately will be a Friday ritual. Unfortunately, my girlfriend also got a bit pissed and left me watching it with friends. She's not a big sci-fi fan at all...
:(

Back