Battlestar Galactica on SCI-FI.com - WOW!

I am enjoying the new series. There is so much character development. I have a feeling that at DC BSG will have a large fan following. This is a show I can really get into.

I wonder if the Battlestar Pegasus will make an appearance in this series? When the first series was on I used to write fan fic about that ship.

I didn't like tonights episode so much.

Richard Hatch was a cameo soley for the sake of having a cameo. It was like Dean Stockwell's turn in that first season Enterprise episode - a cool casting idea wasted because they wanted to hedge him somewhere as soon as possible.

For a show that's supposed to be gritty and real, it the solutions seem pretty pat. What can possibly stop the crazy guy who wants to die in a blaze of glory? Why, the exact same thing we offered him at the start of the episode!

And for a show that set up all sorts of background in the miniseries, it sure seems to add a lot of 'for conveniences sake' background. Yes, we have marines... but only our star space fighter pilot can sniper! Twelve colonies? Well, it's really eleven and one that gets picked on. WINK!

And do we need the reminder about how Cylons work at the start of every episode? And why are the cities that the Cylons blew up still intact? It kind of hurts the idea that the ragtag fleet has nowhere to go.

Boxey is back! With an *attitude*! What was up with the briefing? All space pilots and a young boy we collected for some reason, report to the briefing room for double entendres!

Production values are still very good, special effects are neat... but it needs a standup space battle or a moral story that actually involves morals of some sort.

(On the flip side, Enterprise was another bottle show that had some fairly well done moments. A good half the episode took place in the decon room and nobody took theirshirt off -- good job. It also suffered from the same problem as the BSG... a cheap ending. "Oh, and aliens made the crew alive again." Writers need to learn that it's very, very difficult to write a convincing straight-out lie in a drama. If you open the episode with a character promising that someone will die, and then you have them refer to this fact all along, and you never, ever indicate that this won't be true then SOMEONE SHOULD ACTUALLY DIE.

Kudos to the continually-updating sets on Enterprise -- each week the sets get more flashing lights and extra colors. The bridge went from really bland to super pretty in a surprisingly short amount of time.)

Bandit LOAF said:
I didn't like tonights episode so much.

Production values are still very good, special effects are neat... but it needs a standup space battle or a moral story that actually involves morals of some sort.

I agree LOAF. The episode last night was a bit... dry. I liked it still, but for some reason it just felt rushed and short. Does anyone else feel that the episodes are a bit quick...? It's like they are kindda spread out a bit trying to focus on ALL the characters. I don't know, perhaps it's just me.

They certainly need to bring morals up more. I do like how LEE took charge and just told Adama and Roslin pretty much how things were and that they should follow his lead. Really ballzy.

I heard that this was one of the weaker episodes of the season from an English friend who's seen the entire season already. Hatch's cameo isn't just a cameo as well, his character is going to be a recurring guest in in the future.

I like that they're not worried about injecting space combat into every episode for the sake of doing it.

I also had a big "that's it!?" feeling at the end when everything was resolved . It's like Moore forgot he was writing for an hour and had to wrap things up. I still liked the episode for the most part, especially the bits having to do with the Cylons such as 6 and that guy that got abandoned in the mini series talking about the fate of their "parents" and of course the part when 6 flipped out on Baltar, that was entertaining. It's nice to see her being downright evil and not just a sex toy.

I tried watching Enterprise but I didn't pay much attention to it, I think I'm just all Trekked out. It seemed like the standard formula Star Trek episode in any case.

I also thought the episode was disappointing, especially the ending where everything seemed to work itself out. I was expecting something more along the lines of "Baltar's Escape" from the original Battlestar. In that episode Baltar, along with some Borellians and Eastern Alliance Officers hijacked a shuttle piloted by Boomer and Sheba and then tried to take over the Galactica. Most of the episode focused on the standoff between the ex-prisoners who had the council as hostages and the crew of the Galactica. The epsiodes ending had the Galactica crew tricking Baltar and recapturing him, and pretending to let the Eastern Alliance get away while really following them.

havn't seen ep 3 yet. next two episodes are a two parter.

have a feeling you guys may enjoy them

season finale tommorow night

My favorite character of the new Battlestar is Adama (Edward James Olmos). I don't know if its his acting, or the way the character is written, but I like him. The character has a good balance of battle experience and leadership. And he also has a more human side in that he cares deeply not only about his son but also about his crew, and he lets these emotions show at certain times.

My least favorite character is Apollo. Maybe its just his voice, but to me he seems whiny.

My new fav. character is the alchoholic guy who's second to Adama, I guess because he just seems "real"- like he's not acting. I use to like Baltar because he was a believable bad guy, but now he's not believable by any stretch of the imagination.. NO WAY Adama would give him a nuke, and they better have Adama not give him one or I'll be pissed. Although Appollo might be a bit "whiny", it was cool that he was kicking butt in the prison. I normally wouldn't believe that such a gringo could be Olmos' (aka Adama's) son, except I knew a guy who looked ALOT like him- his father was latino and mother was white. We were car salesman, and latinos would always be surprised to see a white guy ripping out fluent Spanish and find that he was actually half Mexican.. Well, the past 3 episodes have been severely lacking in space combat :(.. Fortunately the next episode looks like it will have some. The previews show Starbuck going at it with 8 cylon fighters.. although not too believable it is very WingCommanderish.. since I could quite capably handle 8 Kilrathi fighters, I guess I'd have to believe it :D

Why wouldn't Adama give him a nuke. They need the "Cylon Detector" and need it now. Its not like Baltar is a traitor as he was in the original series. As far as anyone on the ship knows, this guy had one of the highest postions in the Ministry of Defense, which means he can be trusted. Also, I'm sure the writers have an episode planned about this nuke ;) .

Gliderboy said:
Its not like Baltar is a traitor as he was in the original series.
anyway you look at it hes involved in traitorous actions. And hes definatly been/being manipulated by the cylons.

cant wait for the next series, hate/love cliffhangers of that magnitude.

Gliderboy said:
Why wouldn't Adama give him a nuke. They need the "Cylon Detector" and need it now. Its not like Baltar is a traitor as he was in the original series. As far as anyone on the ship knows, this guy had one of the highest postions in the Ministry of Defense, which means he can be trusted. Also, I'm sure the writers have an episode planned about this nuke ;) .
If you see the episode, it's glaringly obvious to anyone with a sense of human behavior that Baltar has something seriously wrong with him. I liked how he always acted fidgety so that you can believe that people would just think he's eccentric (as I posted earlier). However, in this last couple episodes, he isn't believable by any stretch of the imagination. When he's asked anything about his project, he looks extremely nervous (MUCH more than usual), dodges questions, and talks to himself. But then again, the BSG crew aren't Earthlings, they're aliens, so maybe they have a HUGE genetic weakness when it comes to reading human nature.. other than wild explanations like this, you can't watch the past couple episodes and think that people could trust him with this project after his behavior.
ck9791 said:
I thought at the end of the conversation Adama told Baltar that "he'd get his nuke"?
He did, and I was upset at this because I thought he should've seen by Baltar's hightened nervousness whenever asked about the project that something was wrong. I said I would be pissed if he actually does get the nuke because he doesn't have it yet and if Commander Adama has any sense of the human nature, he would retract that offer. I think Gliderboy is right that the writers have something planned with the nuke, I just don't like the departure from the believability of the character's actions.

Mjr. Whoopass said:
But then again, the BSG crew aren't Earthlings, they're aliens, so maybe they have a HUGE genetic weakness when it comes to reading human nature.

I haven't seen the new series, but aren't they actually human and earth is their lost 13th colony?

McGruff said:
I haven't seen the new series, but aren't they actually human and earth is their lost 13th colony?
Because they come from another planet they would be "aliens"... although they may be humans who are removed by dozens if not hundreds of generations... I was just brainstorming for an excuse for why they could have such bad abilities at judging human body language and behavior.

I was sitting there wondering exactly what Adama was thinking myself. I'm sure he's not without his suspicions though, he'll probably keep an eye on Baltar. The only excuse possible for Adama trusting him is the old idea that all geniuses are eccentric and act strangely.

That was a fun scene; I just about busted a gut laughing when Six shouts really loud (or something) at Baltar, and Baltar screams like a little girl, dropping his glass... and Adama, already obviously not happy with the conversation, gives him a dark "who the hell is this guy?" look. Fantastic.

Under normal circumstances, with the weirdness Baltar displays, there's no way Adama would give him a nuke. But times are super-extremely desperate, the project is super-extremely important, and Baltar does have a pretty big reputation for smarts.

The fact that Baltar claimed to be able to detect Cylons in the miniseries but now cannot would raisie a huge red flag, were I Adama.

Especially after saying "He's a Cyon!" in the mini and abandoning the guy at Ragnar Anchorage. Even though it turned out that he was a Cylon... nobody on the Galactica would know that for sure now. I was wondering why no one was thinking, "Did we abandon an innocent person because of Baltar?"

Did anyone see episode four then?

I really enjoyed that episode. It was the episode that really got me hooked on battlestar galactica

Back