Atmosphere capable?

here are some more reasons for wings. 1. Increase payload for missiles like the way rapiers in the movie do it. 2. more area for manuvering thrusters/scoop field to work thus allowing for increased manuverability

*off topic forgive me* I really didn't like the implimentation of Privateer 2's impacts... I used to just ram my ship into those Kindred ships again and again so they couldn't come about and return fire! The shields rarely dipped below 50% with that...

Oh, one more thing... those rapiers in the movie... their main guns... were those Stormfires as I suspect?

Originally posted by Hobbie
How about a list then (from what I know and what people have said so far) of all the atmosphere capable fighters-

Arrow (WCATV)
Hellcat (WC4)
Longbow (WCATV)
Ferret (WC2, End Run)
Sabre (ER)
Excalibur (WC3)
Lance/Dragon (WC4)
Vindicator (WC4)
Rapier (ER)

I'm sure I missed a few so speak up people ;).

Osn't it described somewhere (perhaps WC4 novel) that the Avenger has atmospheric capabilities? I know, it's hard to believe but I seem to remember such a thing...

Originally posted by Manic
Oh, one more thing... those rapiers in the movie... their main guns... were those Stormfires as I suspect?

neutron gatling guns. i think loaf once mentioned that they were not used anymore because they couldn't carry much ammo

Originally posted by Rampage3051
It appears that nearly all of the WC 1 & 2 fighters would be atmosphere-capable...
Not WC1, at least not the ones on the 'Claw. Halcyon specifically prohibits any action in the atmosphere because the structural integrity of the ships aren't strong enough for high-g turns. Or something like that.

I think it all depends what you want to define as 'atmospheric capable'. I think that most of the fighters should be/are capable of flying through an atmosphere. However, there is a large difference between flying in an atmosphere and being capable of combat in an atmosphere.

I'd hate to be in Blair's position, being ferried in an thing like that, with the chance that a Kat could just come along and blast the "Heart of the Tiger" with an easy missile shot. Of course, that'd be dishonourable, but since when did the Kilrathi believe in honour? :)

Back