|Primary User||Terran Confederation|
|Crew||2 (pilot and gunner)|
|Maximum Yaw||8 dps|
|Maximum Pitch||8 dps|
|Maximum Roll||8 dps|
|Default Missile Loadout|
|Fore||50 cm equivalent|
|Aft||50 cm equivalent|
|A-18 Crossbow Target Identification.|
|Source||Special Operations 1|
The A-18 Crossbow is a heavy bomber in the service of the Terran Confederation.
The Crossbow was designed with the purposes of a typical bomber, but also as an alternative to the A-17 Broadsword. Having a smaller chassis and greater maneuverability, it was meant to fulfill the purposes of the Broadsword but allow for better performance in combat. Sporting a heavy weapons loadout, it was a dangerous opponent to enemy capital ships, and could take a lot of damage before it was felled in battle. It is also one of a handful of Terran starfighters that are jump-capable.
|Work-in-progress, expect frequent changes. Help and feedback is welcome. See discussion page.|
The Crossbow was first introduced in the 2660s and in 2667 was being field-tested on the TCS Gettysburg in the Epsilon Sector. During these tests, the crew of the Gettysburg staged a mutiny against their commander after he gave them illegal orders to fire on unarmed Kilrathi refugee ships, overtaking the vessel and the prototype Crossbows on board. After Colonel Christopher Blair informed the mutineers they had been pardoned for their crimes, the Gettysburg launched a flight of Crossbows to destroy the Rigel Supply Depot, which had been seized by rogue marines who were preying upon civilian supply convoys.
The Crossbow also saw limited service during the defense of Ghorah Khar in 2667, a Kilrathi system which had seceded from the Kilrathi Empire. Colonel Blair also used a Crossbow in the capture of Crown Prince Thrakhath nar Kiranka during this same fleet action, however the Crown Prince escaped from his imprisonment shortly afterwards.
It is unknown what further actions the Crossbow undertook in the Terran-Kilrathi War.
|A-18 Crossbow (2668)||YA-18/A-18 Crossbow||A-18 Crossbow II||A-18 Crossbow III|
|Sources:||Wing Commander Academy Manual||Special Operations 1/Wing Commander: Academy||Special Operations 1||Special Operations 1|
|Class:||Heavy Bomber||Heavy Bomber||Heavy Bomber||Heavy Bomber|
|Length:||24 meters||24 meters||24 meters||24 meters|
|Mass:||40 metric tonnes||40 metric tonnes||40 metric tonnes||40 metric tonnes|
|Max Velocity:||370 KPS||370 KPS||370 KPS||370 KPS|
|Cruise Velocity:||200 KPS||200 KPS||200 KPS||200 KPS|
|Acceleration:||Average||2 (relative)||1 (relative)||1 (relative)|
|Max Y/P/R:||8/8/8 DPS||8/8/8 DPS||3/3/4 DPS||8/8/8 DPS|
|Guns:||Neutron Guns (2)||Neutron Guns (2)||Neutron Guns (2)||Neutron Guns (2)|
|Guns:||Mass Drivers (3)||Mass Drivers (3)||Particle Cannons (2)||Particle Cannons (2)|
|Missiles:||Friend or Foe (3)||Friend or Foe (3)||Friend or Foe (2)||Friend or Foe (2)|
|Missiles:||Torpedoes (4)||Torpedoes (4)||Torpedoes (2)||Torpedoes (2)|
|Turrets:||Dual-Mount Neutron Gun (1)||Dual-Mount Neutron Gun (1)||Dual-Mount Neutron Gun (1)||Dual-Mount Neutron Gun (1)|
|Armor (Front/Rear/Sides):||20.0/20.0/35.0 cm||40.0/40.0/35.0 cm||15.0/15.0/10.0 cm||300.0/300.0/300.0 cm|
|Shields (Fore/Aft):||25.0/25.0 cm||50.0/50.0 cm||20.0/20.0 cm||100.0/100.0 cm|
|Shield Recharge:||Not Listed||4 cm/seconds||5 cm/seconds||5 cm/seconds|
|Service Entry||Not Listed||2667||2667||2667|
- Spacecraft of the Terran and Kilrathi Fleets
- The Crossbow is a formidable Confederation anti-capital ship bomber. It combines impressive armor and shields with good maneuverability and traveling velocity. The fighter is equipped with torpedoes, Friend-or-Foe missiles and an array of blasters that include a rear turret. It was a contingent of Crossbows that destroyed the Grakneth'Dak, a Kilrathi capital ship first sighted near Gorath.
Special Operations 1 (De)Briefings
- Rigel System - Series 2 - Mission B
- Jeanette Deveraux: "Confed High Command is already planning the court-martial for the commander, who was released with his officers in a Crossbow bomber, and returned to Olympus Station two weeks ago.
- Christopher Blair: "A Crossbow? I’ve never heard of that bomber."
- Jeanette Deveraux: "It’s very new, an improvement on the Broadsword technology. The Gettysburg was testing the prototypes."
- Christopher Blair: "So these mutineers have the hottest new Confederation ship technology now?"
- Jeanette Deveraux: "And we can only hope that they won’t use them against the Concordia."
- Rigel System - Series 2 - Mission D
- Poelma: "We have a better ship for you, Colonel [Blair]]. A Crossbow YA-18A, Experimental Prototype."
- Rigel System - Series 5 - Mission B
- Geoffrey Tolwyn: "The Gettysburg… was destroyed three hours ago. A reactor accident. They didn’t have enough trained personnel to prevent a meltdown. A wing of Crossbow bombers arrived here with the survivors."
- Ghorah Khar System - Series 3 - Mission B
- Paladin: "I need to check with the station commander about the new shipments of Crossbow bombers, then I think I’ll have a mission for you."
- Ghorah Khar System - Series 4 - Mission C
- Christopher Blair: "and shot down Khasra, but Prince Thrakhath escaped in the Crossbow."
Special Operations 1 Missions
- Flyable Missions
- Appears in Mission