Where should we discuss the WCPedia?

I think only official images should be used for entries. While we do have some amazing artists, WCPedia is supposed to be our magnum opus to WC canon and should stick strictly too it.

However, I don't see a problem creating fan art pages linked at the bottom of content pages if you would like. By creating linked galleries it would be a cool way to link fan art to the true content.

What do you think?

I personally second the fan art galleries.

On regards to the ship images, if possible it should be included with the game rendering art and a screen shot or series of screen shots from the in-game engine.

I could go for fan art galleries being allowed. I agree that the original should always take precedence

Well let's get moving on this project. We've let it sit far too long. A good chunk of WC1 is already done. I've taken a random chunk from ER and filled some of it in. Whatever game you have get cracking on it. At the end of the month we can peer review our articles or whatever people like to make sure we all get it in there right.

Let's get to work...

I think only official images should be used for entries. While we do have some amazing artists, WCPedia is supposed to be our magnum opus to WC canon and should stick strictly too it.

Now that I've said this I've found a situation where it would be beneficial to use "fan art."

The Wake-Class CVEs (Tarawa, Normandy, etc) are an official class name but the only image we have is the ER cover.

Would I be going to far off my own mark in using images provided by Eder to get a glamor shot and the Target ID images? I don't want to sound like I shoot down his idea only to use basically the same thing on another entry.

What does everyone think? I think the Wake's are the only ship that falls into this situation really so should we make an exception or stick to the previous rule?

I also took the liberty of removing the WingKipedia refs off the main page. Now one of our artists needs to make a new title image because the hack job I did is ugly. Please make it quickly mine might turn people away.

Now that I've said this I've found a situation where it would be beneficial to use "fan art."

The Wake-Class CVEs (Tarawa, Normandy, etc) are an official class name but the only image we have is the ER cover.

Would I be going to far off my own mark in using images provided by Eder to get a glamor shot and the Target ID images? I don't want to sound like I shoot down his idea only to use basically the same thing on another entry.

What does everyone think? I think the Wake's are the only ship that falls into this situation really so should we make an exception or stick to the previous rule?

I also took the liberty of removing the WingKipedia refs off the main page. Now one of our artists needs to make a new title image because the hack job I did is ugly. Please make it quickly mine might turn people away.

Again, putting fan art in the entry might lead people to believe that the ship looks like something it isn't. If fan art is used anywhere then it's imperative that it be clearly labeled as such. Otherwise this whole thing devolves into something more akin to Fleet Tactics.

I wouldn't use fan art at all unless there are no images at all of the item in question. The cover for end run should be fine

Again, putting fan art in the entry might lead people to believe that the ship looks like something it isn't. If fan art is used anywhere then it's imperative that it be clearly labeled as such.

I completely agree. Just as important, fan art must be labled and credit given to the artist who created it as well.

Eg "Artists impression/interpretation of Ship X", as well as a note in the body of the article indicating that no cannon/official images of the ship exist.

*Shrugs*

As long as such precautions are taken, I don't see a major issue in using fan art and, IMHO, it will significantly improve the amount of content that is able to be put into the wiki. Without images...Pages of text can become tiresome for all but the most hardcore fans...

Again, putting fan art in the entry might lead people to believe that the ship looks like something it isn't. If fan art is used anywhere then it's imperative that it be clearly labeled as such. Otherwise this whole thing devolves into something more akin to Fleet Tactics.

Valid point, the last thing I would like is for this project to cause the mayhem FT did and sometimes continues to. I'll stick with the cover art of ER then, even though it itself is confusing since CVE 12 is on the cover and there are only 9 CVEs mentioned in ER :)

Concerning CIC articles....should we add some of these documents? (I planned on the Jump Theory FAQ, Concordia FAQ, etc) The two I listed I think definitely should be added as they are common questions that pop up.

Any other docs anyone can think of that should be added?

Concerning CIC articles....should we add some of these documents? (I planned on the Jump Theory FAQ, Concordia FAQ, etc) The two I listed I think definitely should be added as they are common questions that pop up.

Any other docs anyone can think of that should be added?

I don't know about adding them verbatim, it might be better to summarize them in an in-universe style and link to the full FAQs at the bottom of the page.

I've started a fan art page...the format sucks but how does this work for everybody? Wake Class Fan Art

I've linked the fan art at the bottom of the Wake-Class page to start. I'll also link it to the Tarawa. I think that's a good way to showcase our local artists and separate fact from fiction.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh good now, start uploading artwork :)

I just searched the front page for Tarawa and grabbed all the images I could find. I know I missed some so I'm going to go through the CZ later today...should be interesting.

I apologize because I should have asked before, but do any artists have a problem with their artwork being uploaded to WCPedia? I'm basically searching the front page and uploading any image the CIC has already run.

If anyone has a problem with their images being in WCPedia please PM me and I will remove them.

Thanks.

EDIT: Bengal Fan Art so far...here

Last edited by a moderator:
Perhaps an image-based link from the main article would work well...It would "pretty up" some of the articles and allow you (the authors) the chance to select the most accurate of the fan designs to feature on the main page. Clicking on the clearly captioned fan art image from the main page would then take you through to the other images in the fan art article...

Perhaps an image-based link from the main article would work well...It would "pretty up" some of the articles and allow you (the authors) the chance to select the most accurate of the fan designs to feature on the main page. Clicking on the clearly captioned fan art image from the main page would then take you through to the other images in the fan art article...

I don't think so. I like the idea of the two pages being separate so that there is no confusion as to what is legit images and what are fan-made.

I'm merely adding the images as a courtesy and for historical record. They really aren't the main priority, but I thought it would be a nice way to get some others involved in adding to wcpedia.

Some people have noticed that PNG images won't show up at all. There was a problem detecting the file type which has now been solved. Right now, newly uploaded PNG files seem to display okay (example). I'll get around to fixing the old uploads as soon as possible.

Last edited:
Hey, guys.

I've been gathering information from False Colors for some time now, and I've decided to release the information I have in the WC: Hostile Frontier internal forum so that people working on the WCPedia could make use of it.

http://www.ciinet.org/kevin/wchf/FCinfo.html

I'm linking an external webpage because I'll be updating it from time to time. If any updates are made, I suppose I'll post about them in this thread.

We are planning on having a WCPedia conference this weekend. (The front page story should be up soon). We are upgrading a lot of current articles to new layouts and implementing some other organizational changes we'd like to catch anyone who wants to be a WCPedia'er on.

Saturday, 7 pm Eastern Standard Time in #wingnut. I believe is the time. So if you are available and want to help on the project come by!

Back