TCS Tarawa

Seems to be so. But this also makes a lot clear. Not a very thankful job. Coordinating all wings abroad a megacarrier...I believe you really sit between all chairs and everybody hates you. Wouldn't be a nice job for me. Or would anybody like to do that?:)

I find it a bit strange that a Colonel, which is higher than a Navy Commander, only commands one wing whereas a Commander has multiple wings under his command.
But I guess you cannot have two guys with the the rank of (Navy) Captain on a ship.

Yes, Halcyon was a Wing Commander. Note that Majors + (and in an acting capacity, a very pretty 1st Lt. in Prophecy) can be Wing Commanders -- it's not limited to Colonels.

Yes but why is the CAG in WCP only Commander? Is it because two Captains are not allowed on a ship?
I guess its too much brass, pain in the ass :)

Originally posted by Mekt-Hakkikt
(...) too much brass, pain in the ass :)

...a choice of quote you have to make when Catscratch and Vagabond talk about the newly arrived Captain Paulson, in Wing Commander IV The Price of Freedom...

Yes, I've done my homework, and yes I'm bragging about it!
:D

Originally posted by Mekt-Hakkikt
Yes but why is the CAG in WCP only Commander? Is it because two Captains are not allowed on a ship?
I guess its too much brass, pain in the ass :)

In this case, Commander is short for Commander Air Group. She's Commander Drake, or more correctly Commander Air Group Drake.

Rank and position are seperate... you can be a Lieutenant and be Captain of a ship, you can be an Ensign and be Commander Air Group, and so forth and so on.

But it would be possible to have two Captains on a ship, as long they have different tasks? I just wondered because she is only Commander although she has more wings under her command than Halycon or Angel who were Colonel.

yes you can have two captains on a ship lok at the concordia there were two colonels on board at once and end run states the even if a officer outranks the captain of the ship they still have to follow his/her orders while on that ship

Yes, it is possible to have more than one Captain (rank) on a ship -- but that doesn't mean that she'll automatically be made a captain. Further, her rank and position are Navy -- and thus have different value placed on them.

Is it not so that if two Captains are on board a ship one of them (the older one) becomes automatically Commodore?
I am not sure about that, though.

I'm sure most personnel would spend more time trying to work together rather than worrying about who has what rank... then again, performance - couragous or otherwise (read: stupid) - is often dictated by the need or want for promotion and fame. Oh well.

I believe that authority comes firstly of course from rank, and then from who has held that rank longer. So someone who has been a captain for two days will outrank someone who has just been made captain. Thus a 30yr old captain could outrank a 40yr old captain, if they achieved the rank first.

A certain person may hold a certain position (say ships captain) on a vessel. A higher ranking officer on board would technically be a guest or advisor, unless they officially pull rank and assume command.

This explains Blairs position aboard the Midway. He is a Commodore, but has no official position on board - he is merely an observer on the Midways maiden voyage. If he wanted to, he could pull rank and assume command of the Midway, put himself back on the flight roster etc., but to do so he would have to step on a number of toes.

[Edited by AzraeL on 03-11-2001 at 20:35]

Back