TCS Tarawa

Originally posted by Earthworm
The crews that operated them had to go EVA ("outside") in order to get to those turrets.

And they lost the poor buggers who did, didn't they?

The whole front end got blown off so yeah, those crewman opereating the turrets didnt make it home.

The front end didn't get blown off, more like "peeled" off, because the turrets were mounted on some extra armor that wasn't holding too well. Yes, the crews did die, but they helped the Tarawa survive.

I only read ER once, but from the sounds of it, it seemed as though the Tarawa was literally falling apart! Granted that it wasn't exactly a stable frame, but I'm still surprised there was enough to take what was left of the crew back to Confed space, and be repaired for active service again.

Actually, the Tarawa was in such a bad shape (and she was out for a year BTW) that building a new carrier would have been cheaper then restoring it.

But there's no way that the First to Kilrah wouldn't cruise the space again.:)

EW: Since she was out for a year, I assume that it was first being brought back to duty, in the opening stages of Fleet Action, since she is participating in that attack with the connie

Although I knew it was wrong, I couldn't help but picture the Tawara as a modified Drayman. At the beginning, Jason nearly screwed up on the landing because the opening was so small, so I pictured a Drayman with a bay in the rear. Yeah, way off, but it always just seemed right.

Well no, not anything. I mean, a ferret can't be. Hehe. I think that the cover of ER is probably right, I've just always felt that it looked too much like it was a capship from the get go, rather than a conversion.

Wedge, what else could the cover of ER represent? Obviously it's not the Tarawa, but it is the same class.

And if you think it's not that class, than the ships on the FA cover aren't Hakagas, right?

Paul Alexander has!

The Drayman is only about as long as two fighters, though. (Tarawa is a converted *heavy* transport) :)

I think that when the Tarawa came back into active service might be the time that Blair served onboard. Tarawa was working in conjunction with Concordia in Operation Red Three (i think that was it) Bonderevsky was now the Captain, and most of it's pilots had died before so basically it had a new flight roster. So Blair could have been transferred over at that time. Right after that peace was declared and Blair was pulled from active duty like most pilots. When the truce had ended he was back on the Concordia because the Tarawa belonged to the Landreich.

Originally posted by Earthworm
Wedge, what else could the cover of ER represent? Obviously it's not the Tarawa, but it is the same class.

And if you think it's not that class, than the ships on the FA cover aren't Hakagas, right?

Its a modified picture of the cover on the box of WC2 just like the picture on Freedom Flight was from WC1

The ships on the FA cover are Hakagas.

I don't think a heavy transport would be quite as large as the almost-kilometer-long Confederation class ships -- just because something has a similar design doesn't mean it's the same *size* (afterall, the Tarawa carried only a third as much fighters, and none of the offensive weaponry).

As for Blair -- that's the most logical time for him to be serving onboard the Tarawa, since we know he saved Bondarevsky's life at New Syndey. (We'd previously thought he was at Kilrah with the Tarawa -- but in retrospect Sosa's comments in the WCIV novel probably refer to his 2669 Kilrah run...)

Of course she was referring to the 2669 run. The Tarawa raid pales in comparison to the T-bomb run. Blair's mission ended the war. Besides, wasn't Blair CAG on the Connie at that time? Or am I mistaken?

You are correct -- the fact that Sosa mentions destroying shipyards at Kilrah is what confused people in the past. Blair was CAG on the Concordia during Operation Baclkash... and probably served on Tarawa during Operation Red 3.

They had tons of shipyards in orbit around Kilrah that were destroyed when Kilrah was. That and most of the fleet that they were going to use to wipe out Earth. Only thing to survive really was, you know, just a Dreadnaught :)

Back