movie question

there has been another X-men movie...

kind-of-a B-movie...the only original caracter was jubilee...it's called Generation X, i saw it recently again on TV...

------------------
When I'm in the air...
I'm indestructible.
No one can stop me...
But they try.
Real WC fans support the WCESCRP

Hmm... excuse me for not remembering, but who the hell was Stan Lee? I remember Jubilee, but Stan Lee? <shrug>

It was all so long ago...

uh...Excuse me Dralthi5 I think you haven't seen the movie properly b'coz there was another dangerous jump point other than Pulsar I think the other name .. I forgot the well I can give you the clue here it is:C.Blair,Marshal and the capt were in the mini ship were they were about to make the jump to meet the T.C.S:Tiger Claw I hope you remember this part which did ..you know

Rider, goddammit, I've seen the freaking movie. That was a singularity, beacon 147, Scylla. I know what I'm talking about.
rolleyes.gif

Quarto: Stan Lee: Creator of X-Men (and Spider-Man among others). Supposedly, he makes a cameo in X-Men, but I've seen the movie twice and I still can't spot him.
smile.gif

Rider: What's wrong with Jubilee? Actually, it's a combination of her two "real" names: Jubilation Lee.

steampunk: Also look for John "Pyro" Allerdyce.

------------------
If I'm locked on, there's no such thing as evasive action!

Last edited by a moderator:
Let's get this straight, Stan Lee is a real guy, not a comic book character. His parents gave him the name Stan Lee.
smile.gif
He can't help it.
smile.gif

------------------

IIRC, Jubilee is the teenager, correct? I'm like alot of people here evidently, loved the cartoon and watched it pretty much religiously (I have alot of it on tape), but was never much interested in the comic books. I do want to see the movie, and hope to get that done, but I doubt it, since it will be out of my local theaters soon
frown.gif

Re: Scylla

To further enlighten the oh-so-uninformed-and-forgetful Rider, Scylla was a gravatitional anomaly, of which one cubic inch exerted more force than our sun. The only jumps made in the WCM were of the dangerous variety, ment to make you think someone was going to wind up space dust
smile.gif
Normal jumps aren't anywhere near that dangerous, though, they still are dangerous. Hope that made sense
smile.gif

Any more questions on the individual X-Men, just ask, I have an entire book with the details on most of the cartoon's good guys and bad guys, including history, the tech specs of their RS-71, and the Mansion, and other little things.

------------------
Member of the LMG and hating it (Disgruntled Man)
Real heros wear SCBAs, not capes.--Me.

Rider said:
ok jubilee may be ok but stanlee<giggle>

Rider, are you female or just young? Because most self-respecting posters here try to refrain from using the tag <giggle> as much as possible. It's just not right. You don't see Blair going: "Hey Rachel, <giggle>, your bunk or mine? <giggle> Wait, wrong guy, but my statement stands, that's just not right
smile.gif

------------------

Maybe Rider's just not getting enough oxygen.

Knight: Why do you doubt you'll be seeing X-Men? You're in Indiana, right (at least that's what your profile says)? Considering its success, I think X-Men will be in the theaters for quite a while.

Hey, am I the only one who read the comics regularly? Anyway, I stopped reading X-Men, however, shortly after Operation: Zero Tolerance when Marrow and Maggot joined the team, and I stopped reading Uncanny X-Men after that wierd Age of Apocolypse story arch a few months ago when Cyclops' spirit merged with Apocolypse's body (way, way too wierd
smile.gif
).

Anyway, that's probably enough about X-Men for now...

------------------

Yay, I finally went and saw X-Men. You know, I must say, that movie is vastly... underrated. It's much better than what you guys said it is
biggrin.gif
I was especially impressed by the choice of actors. Not only were they good, but they both looked and acted like the cartoon characters. And the storyline was great. All in all, gonna have ta go again.
Finally, it was nice to see those silly action suits of theirs toned down a bit
smile.gif

Steampunk: Yep, I did spot Jubilee. It's a pity she didn't have a larger role, but hey - there's always the sequel.

Yay! Quarto's seen X-Men
biggrin.gif
. I think it's one of the best movies of the summer (The Patriot's probably the second-best- - at least out of the one's I've seen). Yes, the actors were quite good. Ian McKellen isn't my idea of Magneto, but he was good, and Patrick Stewart was perfect for Xavier.

But, I must disagree with you on "acting like the cartoon characters." They weren't such tight-wads in the movie.
smile.gif

------------------

[This message has been edited by Dralthi5 (edited July 23, 2000).]

Of course the X-men are just starting out and as their skills improve, so will the sillyness of their costums.
biggrin.gif

Dralthi5: Yeah, it was shocking how closely that Patrick Steward guy resembled Xavier.
Isn't The Patriot one of those completely historically incorrect movies? I wouldn't think you'd like that
wink.gif

Death's Head: I'm kinda hoping they'll stick with their present uniforms
wink.gif
. The only disadvantage of the ones they wore in the movie was that they left me with an almost uncontrollable urge to install X-Com: UFO Defence from that PC Gamer CD (which I finally found, a few minutes before I saw X-Men). I think it's got something to do with all those "X" logos
biggrin.gif

IMHO, I think Wolverine should have his own movie
smile.gif
Hell, he had his own comic book, why not? I would like to see the cartoon mini-series of his history be made into a movie with real life actors, or just have that miniseries on tape. Those were some of the best X-men shows, the ones about his history. How he and Sabertooth were like war projects of Canada, and all that. No offense to TC and all those other less spoken Canadians out there. Got to admit, any guy with quick healing abilities, 12", retractable adamantium (SP?) claws, and that funky haircut deserves his own movie
smile.gif

------------------

Well, to add to the <AOL>"M3 t00!!!!!@"</AOL> list...

I went to see the movie earlier today, by which I mean yesterday. I thought it was a really good movie, and far better than some other movies made from comic books (Punisher and Blade in particular), in that the storyline didn't seem "cartoony" at all. (Then again, the original basic storyline of the X-Men series, unique people trying to protect a world that fears their uniqueness while working to free said world from it's ignorance, isn't your standard kiddie fare, either.) Not that there weren't some points of humor, mind you, even including a bit of a jab at the comic book in regards to uniforms. The humor wasn't overbearing, though, and fit into the movie smoothly.

For the record, I'm nowhere near a rabid follower of the various X-Men storylines, but what was there seemed to hold pretty well to the spirit of the X-Men storyline, if not the letter.

(A few items that even a non-fanatic like myself knows are wrong: the movie Rogue is much younger than the comic book one; Sabretooth is just your average neanderthal-ish thug with a hair problem in the movie, with no hint that him and Logan/Wolverine have a past, like they do in the comic book; some of the characters that play significant [for varying values of 'significant'] parts in the comic books [Iceman, Jubilee, and some of the others] are given only passing mention as students who're generally younger than their comic book counterparts, and some other stuff that escapes me at the moment.)

Now, my comments on the cast, in no particular order:

Patrick Stewart (Prof. Xavier): Dead-on as the Professor. He even looked a bit like the comic book character.

Hugh Jackman (Wolverine): When I first heard of him being casted, my initial reaction was "Who's that?". Looking him up in the Internet Movie Database didn't help matters, besides showing that the actor has very little experience. Having said that, I thought he made an excelent Wolverine, in pretty much every way. Attitude, moves, big frigging cigar...
wink.gif

Anna Paquin (Marie/Rogue): While she was believable as a victim, that she was put into the victim role, even given the character changes made in the movie, was annoying. I mean, even given Follywood's occasional smashing of storylines, Rogue is not a wimp! The chemistry between her and Wolverine, though, was really good, and definitely believable. (Supposedly Hugh and Anna were cast together intentionally because they did work good together, but I don't follow the movie business very much, so I don't know what, if any, weight to give it.)

Ian McKellen (Magneto): Though I thought he looked a tad old for the role, overall he was a good choice. Magneto was never one of my favorites, but the character is pretty important to the storyline, so I guess I can suck it up for a bit.

He looked silly in that costume, though.
tongue.gif

Halle Berry (Storm): She was ok, I guess, but didn't have a lot of screen time, so it's kinda hard to form an opinion on her part, though she needs to work a tad on the 'imposing' bit.

James Marsden (Cyclops): For the somewhat limited role he played in the movie, he worked well. Hopefully they'll expand on him and Jean in the sequel; there wasn't really any evidence of their feelings for one another that exists from the comic book.

Farnke Janssen (Jean Grey): Like with Cyclops, Jean's involvement in the story was somewhat limited, and like Marsden, Janssen does a decent job with what she's given.

Ray Park (Toad): Okay, he didn't have all that big a part, but what he was there for was ok. It does seem, though, that Park is doomed to play disposable villains. (At least Toad wasn't sliced in half [he did do the staff twirl thing from Ep1, though], and there is the chance that he might have survived to show in a sequel.)

Rebecca Romijn-Stamos (Mystique): Considering her primary job was to imitate others, at least as shown in the movie, what can one say? Not that I objected to the flesh shots (even if they were of blue flesh), mind you...
wink.gif
On a more serious note, I'm glad she survived being skewered by Wolverine. We barely got to know her in this movie, so hopefully there will be a bit more expansion on her history in the sequel.

Bruce Davidson (Sen. Kelly): Playing a plot device character, he did ok, I guess. I was a tad cheesed that they killed him off, considering they could've played him up in the sequel, but the way they chose to do the storyline kinda makes that a tad difficult...

Overall, I'd give this movie about 8.5, on a scale of one to ten. It did a good job of introducing the storyline and basic characters without weighing things down to the point that only die-hard X-Men comic fans would like it (note to the "WC movie wasn't anything like the game!" folks: If you cater solely to the source crowd, the general public is likely to turn away, since there's so much of the background material they'd need to know in order to 'get it'; people don't want to have to research a movie's setting history just to be able to understand the movie), the storyline was true to the spirit of its source, most of the actors shined in their assigned roles, the story was strong enough to make you want to stick around for the whole thing so you don't miss any important stuff, it wasn't overloaded with either the action scenes or the special effects to cover up an otherwise uninteresting movie (*cough*ID4*cough*), and the ending left room for at least one sequel (which hopefully will provide time to expand on the characters more).

I definitely feel I got my $4.75's worth, and will probably invest in the DVD when it comes out.

------------------
SubCrid Death
Official Net.Nazi, LOAF's Merry Guild

[This message has been edited by Death (edited July 24, 2000).]

Quarto: Yes, The Patriot was fiction, but it was a good movie (and Tcheky Karyo had some good lines).

Death: RE: Rogue being too young. When she was first introduced in the early 80s (I think), she was a teenager. Confused by her mutant abilities after she sent her boyfriend Cody into a coma after kissing him, she joins Mystique in terrorizing the world (she even absorbs Carol Danvers a.k.a. Ms. Marvel's powers, giving Rogue the ability to fly and have super strength). She eventually left Mystique and joined the X-Men.

Although I do agree that they should've let Senator Kelly live. He plays a major part in the comics (particularly in the '97-'98 story arch called Operation: Zero Tolerance). Also, I think they should've created a bigger part for Henry Peter Gyrich (the guy in the helicopter that Mystique turned into), 'cause he caused all sorts of trouble in the comic (and, for those who only watched the show, the cartoon).

As for Mr. Jackman as Wolvie: I think he was great. At first, I was skeptical, 'cause I'd never heard of him, but I was glad he took over the role for Dougray Scott (who was busy with John Woo's M:I2). If anybody could decipher Scott's accent, I'd like to meet 'em.
smile.gif

Patrick Stewart: Looks a little like the Prof? He looks exactly like him. I remember when I was small, my sister and I would talk about "what if there was an X-Men movie?" We'd always say that bald guy from Star Trek would be the perfect Xavier.

------------------

Ok Captain but REMEMBER I AM A BOY AND NOT FEMALE HAVING A [CENSORED]
mad.gif

-----

Rider, kindly watch the language. There are kids (mentally and physically) here.

Death

[This message has been edited by Death (edited July 24, 2000).]

Back