movie question

Death said:
Ian McKellen (Magneto): Though I thought he looked a tad old for the role, overall he was a good choice. Magneto was never one of my favorites, but the character is pretty important to the storyline, so I guess I can suck it up for a bit.

He looked silly in that costume, though.
tongue.gif

Magneto was supposidly the same age as Prof X. I need to get my book out and look him up, but I'm pretty sure that was the way it orginally went. They were always enemies, from way back in school, until the present. That, and I always thought of Magneto as the Prof X of the bad guys
tongue.gif
I need to go see the movie. Badly.

------------------
Member of the LMG and hating it (Disgruntled Man)
Real heros wear SCBAs, not capes.--Me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, go and see it. Hell, see it a couple of times; you won't be disappointed!
smile.gif

Actually, Magnus and Xavier were once close friends. When Magneto's family was killed by some militants (not the Nazis, contrary to the movie) he went nuts and went on a rampage. Chuckie stopped him and they became enemies (although they've worked together afterwards, as is seen in the recent story arch Apocolypse: The Twelve).

------------------
If I'm locked on, there's no such thing as evasive action!

Woops, I take that back. Magneto's family did die at the hands of the Nazis. It was the cartoon that made the mistake in saying they didn't.
redface.gif
Though they were friends in Israel when they both worked in a psychiatric hospital, the first time they did battle was in X-Men #1 (1963). There. Now I have the story straight
smile.gif

------------------

[This message has been edited by Dralthi5 (edited July 24, 2000).]

According to my sources, he was in a concentration camp at Auschwitz, and was the only one of his family to survive. He married and had kids, but when his wife discovered his powers, she left him and took the kids with her. At first, he used his powers for good, he went to Israel and met Prof X. This was before the X-men was formed.

------------------

Right. Magneto's story went like this:

After learning of his powers of magnetism after surviving the Auschwitz, Poland death camp where his family was killed at the hands of the Nazis, "Eric Magnus Lehnsherr" married a woman named Magda. When a mob, angry at Magnus because of his powers, tried to stop him from saving Magda from perishing in a fire, he used his powers to slaughter the mob and resuce his wife. Magda, horrified at what her husband had become, left Magnus and eventually had Magnus's two children: Wanda and Peitro (the future Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver). However, Magda died while giving birth to the twins. Magnus fled to Israel where he worked as an orderly at a psychiatric hospital here. He befriended Professor Charles Xavier, who worked at the hosptial, healing patients with his powerful mutant abilities. Magnus and Xavier became friends, but frequently debated mutant-human relations. After rescuing their friend Gabrielle Haller from Baron Strucker and his Hydra agents, Magnus left Israel and was betrayed by intelligence agents he was working with. Enraged by this, he became Magneto and planned to destroy humanity. Magneto next took over the Cape Citadel missile base and was eventually defeated by Professor X and his five original X-Men (Iceman, Angel, Beast, Cyclops, and Marvel Girl [Jean Grey]).

After leading the infamous Brotherhood (to whom his children, Quicksilver and the Scarlet Witch belonged before turning into heroes), Magneto went on to terrorize the world (to no avail, I might add, thanks to the X-Men), until he was reduced to an infant by his rebellious experiment called Alpha the Ultimate Mutant. Xavier gave the baby to Scottish scientist Dr. Moira MacTaggart of Muir Island, who tampered with the child in order to get him to grow up a better man. A Shi'ar agent, Eric the Red, turned him back into an adult and Magneto went back to his old ways.

MacTaggart's genetic tampering kicked in then and old Magnus broke down. Professor X invited him to take over his School for Gifted Youngsters (he was going to die, but the Shi'ar eventually took Xavier into space and healed him). When Charles returned, Magneto took over his new superhero group, the New Mutants. Eventually, his old personality resurfaced and he joined the Hellfire Club against the X-Men (as well as having a short fling with Rogue in the Savage Land).

Magneto supposedly waged his "final war" with the X-Men when he and his Acolytes battled them. In this battle, he nearly killed our good friend Wolverine when he tore the old Canucklehead's adamantium skeleton from his body. In a fit of rage over this, Professor X viciously attacked Magnus's mind, effectively turning him into a vegetable (also note that the dark, evil parts of Magneto's mind merged with Xavier's mind, ultimately creating the supervillain known as Onslaught, which later would "kill" the Fantastic Four and the Avengers among other heroes). The Acolytes took the catatonic Magneto up to their space station called Avalon, but it was eventually destroyed, supposedly taking Master of Magnetism with it.

Shortly thereafter, an amnesiac man known only as Joseph appeared. The man had white hair and the ability to control magnetic fields. Believing this good, noble man to be Magneto in a newer, younger form Professor X invited Joseph to join the X-Men. It was believed that Joseph was indeed Magneto and he fought with the X-Men for quite a while.

And then the Uncanny X-Men (fighting to save the alien Shi'ar Empire) crashlanded on what they supposed was an alien planet, but was in actuality a secret base in Anarctica. At this base, Joseph and the other X-Men watched as Eric the Red put Gambit on trial for assembling the team known as the Marauders, who were infamous for slaughtering the innocent Morlocks on the behest of the evil Mr. Sinister. With the help of Psylocke, the X-Men returned to New York to see the end of Operation: Zero Tolerance (but Gambit was left behind by Rogue to die, however).

But we, the readers, learn a shocking secret when we discover that it was not Eric the Red acting as judge at Gambit's trial, but Magneto! Then if Magneto is alive, then who the hell was Joseph? A clone, that's who, created by the woman called Astra. We also discover that Eric Lehnsherr, the Holocaust survivor, never existed and that it was a false idenity created by Magneto for some unknown reason.

During the so-called "Magneto Wars", Magnus threatened to bring about absolute chaos by detonating a deadly EM (electromagnetic) pulse across the world, but the United Nations intervened, granting Magento the mutant state of Genosha, which he still rules to this day.

Recently, Magneto was of the so-called "The Twelve", a dozen heroes prophesized the save the world from the supervillain Apocolypse. You see, Apocolyse, who was called The Ally by the alien Skrull, had created this phony list in the hopes of drawing The Twelve (comprised of Professor X, Cyclops, Phoenix, Storm, Iceman, Sunfire, Polaris, Cable, Bishop, Mikhail Rasputin [Colossus' brother], The Monolith, and Magneto) to Egypt where he would harness their powers in order to merge his body with the soul of the X-Man, Nate Grey, the most powerful mutant on Earth (who's destiny, might I add, was to kill Apocolypse). But Cyclops intervened and the short-lived Age of Apocolypse began, but ened when the alternate X-Men killed the Cyclops-Apocolypse amalgamation, and as a result supposedly killing Cyclops, as well.

After recently losing his powers due to the combined efforts of the High Evolutionary and Mr. Sinister, Magneto regained his powers when the High Evolutionary was shown the error of his ways by the X-Men, ousted the Genoshan magistrates, and heraled as a hero by the mutants of Genosha.

I'm not sure what the Master of Magnetism is up to these days (I'm behind by 5 issues, unfortunately), but I'm pretty sure I'll start reading Uncanny X-Men once again.

Well, that was rather long. Oh, well.
smile.gif

------------------

[This message has been edited by Dralthi5 (edited July 24, 2000).]

Wow... tore the adamantium bones from his body (that substance is suppose to virtually indestructable, no?).

And as for the Fantastic Four and the Avengers dieing; that is a very shocking surprise (for one who has only remembers sparcely reading X-Men comics).

Darn... and I liked Mr Stretchy and Mr. FireAnt.

wink.gif

Ah, but with the exception of the Jason Todd incarnation of Robin (switching to DC Universe, which I know better than Marvel) and perhaps one or two other characters, they never are really dead. Oh, the may come back as a clone, they may actually have always been a clone, people may mistake a catatonic state for death (The "Death" of Superman comes to mind.) And considering Dralthi 5 put the comment in quotes, I'm pretty sure they are alive and well
smile.gif

Yes, Marvel wouldn't be so stupid as to have Professor X really kill them. They all came back in the "Heroes' Return" series.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Dralthi5 (edited July 25, 2000).]

Baah! DC kept trashing & killing their supposed heroes. Just depends on who's series it is. Just saw one w/ Cable - where the entire universe perished along w/ the X-men!? There's a rash of dying heroes, lately.

I think I hear my mom calling!
tongue.gif

Topic drift. Very contagious.

I have to admire DC for actually going through with the Death of Robin (Jason Todd) and keeping him dead. I think it helped the Batman comic books, and added a new dimension to the Bruce Wayne/Batman character.

Well, UltimaWingman... " Who's that guy in the picture on Captain Sansky's desk?" can only go so far.

------------------

wellm while on the subject, i don't know much about about X-men, just the basic things.

there's something i don't understand, i once read in a comic that Mr.Sinister was Cyclops father, but i saw in the cartoon that it was that shi'ar<--spelling guy, what's all that about?
confused.gif

------------------
When I'm in the air...
I'm indestructible.
No one can stop me...
But they try.
Real WC fans support the WCESCRP

Duhhh... Hey! The topic is "movie question". Nuttin said bout bein specific to WC
biggrin.gif

------------------
Turn me loose, Colonel.
This is what I live for!

Yeah!!! this is the WC talk guys
mad.gif
so only WC movies talk ok
mad.gif

What's wrong with you guys?
going to X stuff huh
mad.gif

----------------------------
DONT ALTER THE TERRAN CONFEDERATION

Rider, watch your young, uneducated mouth. When you're around long enough to see where most topic drifts go, you'll be happy to see one like this
smile.gif

------------------

We're all Wing Commander fans here, Rider. As of this moment, we, as Wing Commander fans, are currently sharing in a common interest, X-Men. So don't get mad.
smile.gif

Twister: Allow me to answer that question. When Scott Summers was young, his father, Air Force officer Major Christopher Summers, took his family in his plane on a trip. An alien vessel of the Shi'ar Empire supposedly shot down the plane, but Scott's mother put him and his younger brother Alex (the future X-Force member Havoc) into a parachute and threw them off the plane. Scott hit his head when the parachute failed to open all the way and lost the ability to control his optic blasts. He and Alex were sent to an orphanage, secretly owned by the mutant Dr. Nathanial Essex, a.k.a. Mr. Sinister. But Cyclops' parents didn't die when the Shi'ar attacked their plane. They were taken prisoners by the alien empire, and Scott's mother died while Christopher Summers escaped to become Corsair, leader of the intergalactic pirates called the Starjammers (composed of Corsair, Raza, Cho'd, and Hepzebah, who developed a romantic relationship with Corsair).

------------------

Someone did their homework..........

------------------

Hey, I remember some of that
smile.gif
. We found out all this during that Phoenix thing, right?

Back