Linux Fans, Please Test

Hmm isn't that jsut the source for the vegastrike engine though? What about the privateer mod part?

Great. There is a wiki on the vegastrike site that may be helpful.

Good luck! If you run into problems compiling, please post in the Vegastrike subforum dedicated to compiling problems and it can be worked out.
Unregistered said:
Hmm isn't that jsut the source for the vegastrike engine though? What about the privateer mod part?
You don't need to compile data. You should have it in the installer already, unless your problem is that the installer itself didn't run.

If it at least managed to extract the data, that is all you need coupled with the executable you compile. If it didn't, we'll need to make the data available in a .zip or something. We'll get back to you on that.

Hmm do i need the cvs or will it work with 0.4.3, im guessing i need the cvs which is giving me problems ;/

Try it with 0.4.3 That is a pretty recent build. There are some differences of course, CVS would be preferable (we'll need to tag priv 1.0 in the code if it hasn't been done already). Please post your compile problems on the VS board.

Well the problem isnt with compiling the cvs code its with the actual cvs checkin..
Ive posted on there forum but am still awaiting a reply..

By the way the script doesnt unpack the files for privateer remake at all so i will be needing them somehow once i do get the cvs to work..

i had the libstdc++ problem for setup, aswell. i created a symlink and it worked. i guess that should be fixed. besides, i can't find the speechpack, where is it located? otherwise everything worked out of the box, great work!

I've been trying to get the thing to work on my Debian box to no avail -- it works, sure, but runs as slow as molasses.

Video card:

0000:01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8378 [S3 UniChrome] Integrated Video (rev 01)

So am I SOL? My brother claims that it can't possibly be the video card, but I don't know. :/

Intergrated video is pretty much guaranteed to be slow as mollases. It takes a 10 dollar component and tries to do the work of something that, in powerful (normal add-in) form, costs hundreds of dollars.

Hrm, guess I have a new piece of hardware on my shopping list then. Thanks, though.

SuSE 9.2

Hi
I'm playing on SuSE 9.2 and almost everything works fine, only (system related) "problem":
(- of coure the missing easy a.i. files)
- dusted off some old joystick -> didn't work at all (connected to a few years old SB5.1, configured&tested via yast

Thanks,

on SuSE 9.2 you really have /dev/input/jsp? and not /dev/jsp?
(although I have a /dev/jsp1 for some reason..whatever..)-

I put a symlink /dev/jsp0 -> /dev/input/jsp0 and now the joystick works.
One less excuse to get blown up ;-)

P.S. Interestingly

henni said:
(- of coure the missing easy a.i. files)

Look into the sticky Thread "Linux users *must* play at medium difficulty" there's an easy way to get the ai.easy/ and ai.hard/ directories.

Meiko

PS: sorry, not familiar with the forum syntax, so no link provided.

Bluewolf said:
I've been trying to get the thing to work on my Debian box to no avail -- it works, sure, but runs as slow as molasses.

Video card:

0000:01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8378 [S3 UniChrome] Integrated Video (rev 01)

So am I SOL? My brother claims that it can't possibly be the video card, but I don't know. :/

Actually the Unichrome chip should be capable, it's just a tad slower than a nvidia MX400 , which is also crap, but keep in mind the linux drivers for Unichrome still are extremely beta at this point. (NWN & Q3 work well, UT2004 looks like it should work but doesn't (runs in software mode!), and Doom3 fuggedaboudit - ie incapable)
On my setup here i get a lot of weirdness (slack10 with locally compiled X.org+mesa) related to this.
System Sempron 2500/unichrome km400/768 ram (64 shared video)
Settings 1024x768/display lists/spec lighting/sharp filtered bases/32bit colour
Eg hi detail loads splash screen, segfaults at the landing pad if mouse is moved
Med detail sortof works but hard crashes on approach to bases (planets no), I need to open a second console and reboot from there.
Low detail works ok but game gets unresponsive with a lot of action (eg dogfight in roids). Oddly enough the outside world shows up at the full resolution (1024x768) but the panel looks like rescaled 640 x 480 - could probably get away with a full-res panel here
Also looks like the med detail and low detail text sizes are swapped (not that I mind).
Turning off pixel shading results in hard crash at ship market
As mentioned in other threads the mouse steering needs to be a little less sensitive in the centre.

Unregistered said:
open /dev/[sound/]dsp: Device or resource busy

and

Xlib: extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".
Couldn't initialize video: Couldn't find matching GLX visualXlib: extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".
Couldn't initialize video bpp 32 depth 32: Couldn't find matching GLX visual
Couldn't initialize video bpp 32 depth 24: Couldn't find matching GLX visual
Couldn't initialize video bpp 32 depth 16: Couldn't find matching GLX visual
Couldn't initialize video bpp 16 depth 32: Couldn't find matching GLX visual
Couldn't initialize video bpp 16 depth 24: Couldn't find matching GLX visual
Couldn't initialize video bpp 16 depth 16: Couldn't find matching GLX visual
FAILED to initialize video
I can do
Code:
privgold --setup
and tweak those settings. I think those are all in minimalist mode now.
Am I missing another package from system, or do I have too weak video card (NVIDIA GF2)

Please bear in mind that I am doing this from X (KDE to be precise). I am running Fedora Core 2, and I'm honestly clueless.
I use Debian Testing. and just WindowMaker - though I have some Gnome stuff installed but not whole environment.

I did also that linking trick
Code:
ln -s /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6 /usr/lib/libstdc++-libc6.2-2.so.3
after I had first installed
Code:
apt-get install libstdc++6

same guy as in previous message said:
I can do
Code:
privgold --setup
and tweak those settings. I think those are all in minimalist mode now.
Am I missing another package from system, or do I have too weak video card (NVIDIA GF2)

I use Debian Testing. and just WindowMaker - though I have some Gnome stuff installed but not whole environment.

I did also that linking trick
Code:
ln -s /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6 /usr/lib/libstdc++-libc6.2-2.so.3
after I had first installed
Code:
apt-get install libstdc++6
I still can't get playing. I have no idea what is that missing GLX feature.
Without sounds is ok for now, but without video the playing is a bit too .... challenging.

To previous Unregistered

GLX is what X11 uses for opengl.
If your server doesn't have the GLX extension loaded and working, then you can't use opengl programs.

In my /etc/X11/XF86Config (or /etc/X11/xorg.conf) I have the line
Load "glx"
in the "Module" section, which tells the server to load the GLX extension.
You can try to change this (though this may make it so X fails to start if the rest of your system isn't set up for it -- if you have an nvidia graphics card you need to install their drivers first [and change the X config file to use their drivers]).

As far as the audio, it looks like you don't have permission to write to /dev/dsp. (I've mostly seen this problem with programs that expect OSS audio)...
One thing you can do is change the permissions of /dev/dsp so you can write to it. (on my system I have an "audio" group, with /dev/dsp chmodded to 660 set to the audio group. Then I used "gpasswd -a <user> audio" to put each of the users that need sound into the audio group).

Back