Linux Fans, Please Test

doesn't seem to install properly

When I run the installer I get a dialog (after it thinks for a while) saying "You must install Privateer Space Simulator before running this installation program"

... but...but... this IS the installer :)

Doh!

I'm a moron. I was trying to install the speech pack without having the base package installed...

setup problem

hellcatv said:
I put the linux binaries in the downloads sections

note that I've split linux into speech pack and essentials--so if you want speech and music be sure to download the speech pack :)

good luck

Let me know if it works on your distro; no compiler needed

http://priv.solsector.net/downloads.htm

Ok, on my mandrake 10 box, I had to do a little twiddling to get the setup program to work.
When I tried to run the setup, I got an error about not being able to locate libstdc++-libc6.2-2.so.3

After creating a softlink from /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6 to /usr/lib/ibstdc++-libc6.2-2.so.3 it worked fine.

Unregistered said:
I'm a moron. I was trying to install the speech pack without having the base package installed...

Hey, I'm gonna try installing on a P-133 with A Diamond Monster II. Talk about being DUMB. But I'm gonna try it.

@hellcatv - Is there anything in particular that you want checked out on the linux port? I got it up and going last night and have started working my way through the story line.

This is easily one of the best games available on Linux, by the way.

Wendy said:
Hey, I'm gonna try installing on a P-133 with A Diamond Monster II. Talk about being DUMB. But I'm gonna try it.

wow... good luck with that. My linux box is a rather old p3 700, but it's got a newish NVidia FX card. Runs pretty sweet.

Got the word tha tI'm in for some "new" -- to me -- hardware so I'll hold off, because I'm bonna build a Linux Gaming box, but I'm STILL gonna do it. It SHOULD prove a VERY interesting project

I installed on Mandrake 9.1 and got the following output:

$ ./priv_009d.sh
Verifying archive integrity... All good.
Uncompressing Vegastrike Space Simulator 0.4.3 - Base ..........................................................................
(lots more dots)
cp: cannot stat `/etc/timidity.cfg': No such file or directory
loki_setup: Script seems to have failed with error code 1.
loki_setup: 2 Unable to find file 'setup.base.xml' in '/tmp/selfgz265824405'
loki_setup: 2 Unable to find file 'setup.music.xml' in '/tmp/selfgz265824405'
loki_setup: 2 Unable to find file 'vslogo.xpm' in '/tmp/selfgz265824405'

- When I select (during install) the option to have a KDE 'startup menu entry'
my file associations get messed up.

- The game runs, but no sound at all.

Downloading it now

I've fooled around with VS on and off for several years now, but never managed to really get going with it. I love playing Privateer though, so I'm looking forward to trying out your mod.

I'll post my Gentoo results in a day or so. Is the source available somewhere so I can try compiling it for myself if I want?

[edit] I got the same loki_setup errors as the unregistered guest above.

loki_setup: 2 Unable to find file 'setup.base.xml' in '/tmp/selfgz247197616'
loki_setup: 2 Unable to find file 'setup.music.xml' in '/tmp/selfgz247197616'
loki_setup: 2 Unable to find file 'vslogo.xpm' in '/tmp/selfgz247197616'

Other than that it all seems to be working. I have sound, music, and nice looking graphics. Now if I can just figure out which keys do what. Looks like I'll be needing to read the fine manual and do some more testing... a LOT more testing :)

Looking good.

[edit2] Wow, there is actually a nicely remade manual which tells you exactly how everything works. I'm not used to this level of quality. Well, its working just dandy on my up-to-date mostly stable Gentoo system insamuch as I just installed it into ~/games/privateer.

Looks like you guys did a great job with this. Thanks!

Dou9st3r: the source is available at vegastrike.sourceforge.net. There is probably a gentoo ebuild for vegastrike, but it is surely out of date at this point as there hasn't been an official VS release for a while.

Unregistered said:
cp: cannot stat `/etc/timidity.cfg': No such file or directory
The Music in the base package is in midi format. sdl_mixer is used to play it (it's statically compiled in for this release). It uses an old version of timidity to play midis. Timidity (and so sdl_mixer) needs a timidity.cfg to play properly. The .cfg points at patch files, which contain the sound samples that are played. Timidity.cfg is often stored in /etc, so the installer looks there and copies it to your privateer directory if it exists.

If it doesn't exist, it isn't fatal but you won't get music. If you have timidity working on your box, copy the cfg to the privateer directory. Beware though, the version of timidity inside SDL_mixer is rather old, and can't use soundblaster soundfonts, it can only use GUS patches.

We could bundle a set of patches with the game, but they are large enough we might as well include .OGGs instead, and that is exactly what is inside the speech pack. Download and install the speech pack for bartender speech, music etc. The OGGs will play just fine.

The KDE menu entry needs a little work, it uses the old style of KDE menu placement, that will be fixed. It should not mess with your file associations.
# KDE Config File
[KDE Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Name=Privateer
Comment=
Exec=/home/myself/privateer//bin/vegastrike.sh
Icon=/home/myself/privateer//vegastrike.xpm
Terminal=0
Type=Application
Categories=Application;Game;X-Red-Hat-Base;
Looks fine to me (though Game needs to be Games on Debian). If anyone sees a way that could screw with file associations, let us know.

Dou9st3r said:
Wow, there is actually a nicely remade manual which tells you exactly how everything works. I'm not used to this level of quality.

Thanks! Mind, its fun trying to do a manual and keep it up to date with changes in betas for both the remake and original vega strike lol! Remember all, these are both open source projects and contributions are welcome from all and sundry! From documentation to art to models to programming to playtesting etc.

Errors and Problems so far...

Well, I have played a few hours now on a current Gentoo Box and I have encountered a few problems, but none are showstoppers. A real outstanding job, as Elite (Amiga) and Privateer (PC Pentium 60) rank high on my "Best games ever" List :eek:)
Problems / Errors:
- the setup error reported above: Me too, but sound plays fine.
- if a dialog text is getting longer than the black space available above
the picture of the bar, then the text will overwrite the picture. For
each new line, the picture becomes just smaller. Example:
Let's say we have a space for 5 lines above the picture. If the text
gets to the 6th line, the top part of the picture is completely
overwritten with a black line, on which the text is written. Well I had
one dialogue which nearly totally wiped out the picture :eek:/
- Missions: I got two different (generic) Cargo mission to Regalis.
When I got there, only one mission's cargo was delivered, the other
one remained on board but both missions were "done" and only
one of them was payed...
- Sound: I got music but nothing else (installed the additional Sound
Pack). My mind may play tricks on me, but I seem to remember
at least curses of pirates. some SFX in flight / battle and some
speach in bars....

Well that's it for now. Thanks for your work. Should I find more problems, I'll report them in this thread...

KoalaBR

KoalaBR said:
Problems / Errors:

- if a dialog text is getting longer than the black space available above
the picture of the bar, then the text will overwrite the picture. For
each new line, the picture becomes just smaller. Example:
Let's say we have a space for 5 lines above the picture. If the text
gets to the 6th line, the top part of the picture is completely
overwritten with a black line, on which the text is written. Well I had
one dialogue which nearly totally wiped out the picture :eek:/

That's essentially the same on the PC version. I think it's an issue of read speed. How do you make sure that EVERYONE reads at the same rate? I'd rather have it wipe out the picture than miss something important. I'm sure that scrolling could be introduced, but as to how hard it would be to implemnt, I'm not sure. I'm not one of the developers, just a game breaker. (Beta Tester) For now, I'll settle for scrolling in the cockpit like there is now.

VALID POINT HellcatV & MamiyaOtaru. Something to think about.

KoalaBR said:
- Missions: I got two different (generic) Cargo mission to Regalis.
When I got there, only one mission's cargo was delivered, the other
one remained on board but both missions were "done" and only
one of them was payed...

I think that one is an implemented fix, but did not make this release. I'm going to assume you have the latest version. Just land again and you should see that it clears. Of course, I can't remember, but if Regalis is one of the systems with more than one base or planet you MIGHT have to go to the other base or planet. You can stack missions to take you across the sector.

The rest is well beyond me. At least until I get my Linux box on line.

Wendy

MamiyaOtaru said:
The Music in the base package is in midi format. sdl_mixer is used to play it (it's statically compiled in for this release). It uses an old version of timidity to play midis. Timidity (and so sdl_mixer) needs a timidity.cfg to play properly. The .cfg points at patch files, which contain the sound samples that are played. Timidity.cfg is often stored in /etc, so the installer looks there and copies it to your privateer directory if it exists.

If it doesn't exist, it isn't fatal but you won't get music. If you have timidity working on your box, copy the cfg to the privateer directory. Beware though, the version of timidity inside SDL_mixer is rather old, and can't use soundblaster soundfonts, it can only use GUS patches.

We could bundle a set of patches with the game, but they are large enough we might as well include .OGGs instead, and that is exactly what is inside the speech pack. Download and install the speech pack for bartender speech, music etc. The OGGs will play just fine.

Discovered I could get sound effects when I configure for 'effects only', and shut down my arts sound server.
Installed the speech pack, only to discover that I can have effects and speech, or music, but not both. If I configure 'all sound' there is music but no speech. I have always had problems with separate programs using the sound card simultaneously but never internally within the same program. I noticed that vegastike spawns a soundserver, which spawns a few more sound server processes, so it may be trying to access the sound card simultaneously across separate processes instead of through just one. Perhaps if it was artsd aware it might work.
With or without the speech pack I get no sound if artsd is running unless I start with $artsdsp ./privateer which will allow me music, but not sound effects.

Any ideas for getting all sound working?

Unregistered said:
I have always had problems with separate programs using the sound card simultaneously but never internally within the same program.
Well, it's almost like two different programs; the music is midi and the speech is wave or otherwise something that is processed as "normal audio" by the soundcard.

I "discovered" this while switching output from my Audigy 2 to my onboard sound. I had speech only until I realized that midi was still set to the Audigy 2.

I can install perfectly fine, but when attempting to run I get the following fatal errors

open /dev/[sound/]dsp: Device or resource busy

and

Xlib: extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".
Couldn't initialize video: Couldn't find matching GLX visualXlib: extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".
Couldn't initialize video bpp 32 depth 32: Couldn't find matching GLX visual
Couldn't initialize video bpp 32 depth 24: Couldn't find matching GLX visual
Couldn't initialize video bpp 32 depth 16: Couldn't find matching GLX visual
Couldn't initialize video bpp 16 depth 32: Couldn't find matching GLX visual
Couldn't initialize video bpp 16 depth 24: Couldn't find matching GLX visual
Couldn't initialize video bpp 16 depth 16: Couldn't find matching GLX visual
FAILED to initialize video

Please bear in mind that I am doing this from X (KDE to be precise). I am running Fedora Core 2, and I'm honestly clueless.

Also, seeing as how I can run xmms just fine (and I'm not running xmms while trying to play) I'm not quite sure what would be causing the sound conflict.

Any suggestions?

the "error" messages from the setup are meaningless

as for getting music and sound at the same time with a one-shot-at-a-time-sound card there are ways to do it

put:

;;(define devices '(alsa native))
in your ~/.openalrc file

I think soundserver and vegastrike will cooperate to use arts then :)

running on suse 9.2

When running the installer i get:
: bad interpreter: file or folder not found (or similiar)

when i change "#!/bin/sh" at the begin to "# !/bin/sh" (note the blank)

it gives:
: command not founde 3:
: command not founde 7:
: command not founde 14:
./priv_009d.sh: line 18: syntax error near unexpected token `elif'
'/priv_009d.sh: line 18: `elif test -x /usr/ucb/echo; then

btw: i read somewhere that M$ like end of lines are no good in shellscripts but seem to have found some in this one ??

Back