Linux Fans, Please Test

winkman said:
running on suse 9.2

When running the installer i get:
: bad interpreter: file or folder not found (or similiar)

btw: i read somewhere that M$ like end of lines are no good in shellscripts but seem to have found some in this one ??
The MS style line ends are not there in the file that we have. They were added by your browser. Please see this thread.

MamiyaOtaru said:
The MS style line ends are not there in the file that we have. They were added by your browser. Please see this thread.
I noticed when I was trying to download the files that my Firefox browser was trying to open the files in a browser window also. Having run across that before I just used "Save Link As..." I wonder if changing the extensions to *.sh.run would help? If all else fails you could gzip them.

As far as all the sound woes, I'm not having any problems whatsoever, but all I run is ALSA and I don't have any sound daemons running (because they mess with some of my other games as well). But I'm not a Linux newb though either, my system was all properly set up and configured before I attempted to install this game, and I didn't have any problems.

A small suggestion, change the mouse steering cursor to something different than the 12:00 crosshair, or change the color. I don't have the weapon tracking option or ITTS radar installed yet, so I'm not sure how you implemented it, but I'll go on record as saying I kind of like how it is handled in Freelancer where the guns swivel around and aim where the steering cursor is pointing.

I'm also working on a 3-d space shooter, Space Commander, but I have some different ideas than VegaStrike, and I'm trying to write my sim in 100% Python for a couple of reasons I won't go into here. In the spirit of the GPL though you guys can use any of my code if it ever amounts to anything, and I may in the future use some code from VegaStrike, once I get a bit more further along with it.

Anyways, I've gotta give a "two-thumbs up" rating from my experience running Privateer Remake in Gentoo. Aside from a little tweaking here and there I'd say you have done a great job. Thanks!

Wow python only?
No type safety!?
If I could make one change to Vega Strike it would be to swap out Python as scripting language and choose ocaML instead...
having one typo kill your app is insane... course with pychecker it's a bit nicer...
but still...type safety goes a long way in making development swift....
That said python is a wonderful language---just I find it terribly inconvenient for any sort of large app--perfect for your every day little thing...

Good luck! I'll check out your site soon

hellcatv said:
Wow python only?
No type safety!?
Getting off-topic. It's an experiment. I may re-write parts of it in some other language later on, but for now it really helps me get my ideas down in code so I can test them and tinker around. I'm also using Numeric, PyGame, and plan to use PyOpenGL in the future. If you check it out, get the source from anonymous CVS because thats where all the new code is at.

excellent I will do :)
I won't criticize your choice...just telling you my experience with python c ould have been better--then again for most of VS devel I didn't notice pychecker...which has currently saved me tons of time! :)

I'm definitely going to check our your project in more detail over this week...sounds awesome

Pychecker sounds interesting.

My experience with Python from editing the vegastrike mission stuff was just hell. Having no type checking may be cool for writing code, but for trying to understand someone else's code, it's like a deathblow. It's a real exercise in frustration trying to find out what sort of variable something is supposed to be. It just doesn't (imho) lend itself well to collaberative projects.

The final products often come out well though, so it can't be all bad. I'd love to give your project a whirl.

The driver search begins.
Looks like I got one heck of a gift.
nVIDEA GeForce 2 MX 400
ECS EliteGroup KT600-A MoBo
Athlon 2.6GHz Proc & Cooling Fan
256MB RAM
Case & 300W P/S
Harmon Kardon Speakers
4 PCI NICs
1 PCMCIA NIC
WD 40G HDD
PCI Modem
Router
DSL Modem

Someone likes me.

Now to find the drivers for Linux.
And the project begins.

RH/Mandrake hybrid.
DOS/Doze 3.11 WFW
Doze 98

Multi Boot

I'm wondering if I should use my existing Video card with the Linux box or run it with the nVIDEA.

Either way, Looks like I'll be busy.

Wendy said:
I'm wondering if I should use my existing Video card with the Linux box or run it with the nVIDEA.

Either way, Looks like I'll be busy.

Definately go with the NVidia card if you can.
NVidia's drivers are quite solid. If your current card is old or manufactured by some oddball manufacturer the OpenGL support could leave a lot to be desired.

Fro said:
Definately go with the NVidia card if you can.
NVidia's drivers are quite solid. If your current card is old or manufactured by some oddball manufacturer the OpenGL support could leave a lot to be desired.

The card is by ECS Elitegroup, and it's at least 3 years old. But the chip is an SiS. There was a time when that was the choice chip. Now that, in and of itself, says you're in for trouble. I got it for playing with video and the price was right.

Now, I get to decide which box gets what parts. . ..

For now I'm going to build it with what came together. I'm gonna have to get at the one 133 for some parts as it is, and since I'm not flush with gear, and my network is not exactly "kosher" a network load is NOT going to work, I'm going to have to rob Peter to pay Paul. One of the boxen is either going to go without, (DNS box), or - if worse comes to worst, or is that wurst =) I'll tear one or more of teh boxen apart and make one grand machine. I wonder if I can get an NTFS boot included with the other three?

In any case, I now have 2-80Gig, 2-40Gig, a 13, a 3 and a 4. 1 CDRW, 1 CD, 2 Floppies and a whole lotta wishing.

I'll build what I have and see where it gets me. If it really goes South, I'll be on one of the Linux forums crying the blues

You know, I COULD swap some of the gear out of THIS box, but I think I'll let sleeping dogs lie for now. When this one goes south, it's usually a nightmare on Elm St. to set to rights. What do you expect from Doze 2k? Cardboard Solid, as opposed to velum 95.

LOL
I'll have at least three test platforms for you if this works, HellcatV.

LOL

Your network sounds a lot like mine. All of my machines predate the wife and baby (from a long forgotten time when I had money :)

I think there's a possibility that Santa Claus (or Mrs. Claus, as the case may be) might be bringing me a new mainboard with an Athlon 2200 on it. Maybe even a 3000 if I've been really good.
*sigh* It'll be nice to move into the 21st century.

thanks for the hint

and ... darn i downloaded it with firefox as described in the other thread.
so please place a note about that issue in the download - section.

unfortunately i'm not able to do such a large download from my current location and will have to wait some weeks before i can try it again.

cheers
Martin

Running on Dell Inspiron 8200 w/ Suse 9.0

Excellent Job!

While I also saw the installation error messages noted above, I otherwise had no problems installing and playing 009d with the speech and music pack.

Quite honestly though, I've been having too much fun playing one of my all time favorite games on my favorite OS to pay much attention to technical details yet.

Now, if I can just learn to pilot with the mousepad . . .

Hi again.

I tried to download the linux installer again but i have to do this on a win machine.
My problem is that i seem to find no way to get a clean binary download with win tools and am not able to install some download manager.
And i'm behind a firewall too.

So could You please zip up that linux download or wrap it in some way that it gets downloadetd s binary by default?

Well, I'm going to be trying a setup of Ubutu in the next little while and I'll see if my computer can handle it in software mode (stupid !#@$ ATI cards) until I get a new video card. Give me a week or two though...I'm not in a good time situation.

Ok, I'm set up and downloading on Ubuntu now. It'd Debian-based, but I've got no working MIDI. If anyone knows how to get MIDI set up in Debian or Ubuntu, mind PMing or Emailing me? Test results forthcoming.

Back