Favorite Wing Commander Battle/Mission

If you are bored just do a gamble and hit the afterburners. Chances are you'll get past unharmed. Don't do that after a hard mission.

ChrisReid said:
Yeah, and you can't just drop to 250 kps and go to sleep. I never reduced speed anyhow. You get through much faster at a higher speed and just avoiding the asteroids.
Actually I just move my stick left then right at intervals.

You can actually blow through 'roid fields in Privateer by kicking full afterburners and yanking the stick left and right OR up and down. The game can't redraw the asteroids fast enough. But that's also a great way of breaking your joystick.
It doesn't work very well with keyboard, but might be fine with a mouse.

Favourite mission? Kurasawa 1. I started playing wing commander when i was in first school and didn't understand the game at all. (It took me and my sister a long time to realise that you could actually land the fighters.)

So, several years later I actually started playing attention to the game and making a conscious effort to play it properly. After years of faliure at Brimstone and Port Headland, I finally made it to Dakota and then Kurasawa where i found myself snapping Dorkirs in half like pencils and seeing the good cutscenes for a change instead of colonies blowing up and terran marines meeting unfortunate ends.

The playstation

Black-Wulf said:
my favourite mission was the WC3 Endmission with all , well let's call 'em "Parts" you know , the flights to the refuel station, the atmosperic strike on kilrah.... was there a refuel station? damn I played this mission 2 years ago and don't remember...o/O

If youve ever played WC3 on the PSONE, you cant actually run the T-Bomb into kilrah, its all done in a cutscene, the only good thing you get is killing Thrakkath

Plywood Fiend said:
Favourite mission? Kurasawa 1. I started playing wing commander when i was in first school and didn't understand the game at all. (It took me and my sister a long time to realise that you could actually land the fighters.)

i was exactly the same when i started playing it at the age of about 3, the funeral became something I would never forget, and I couldnt land the fighter either, so I blew up the tiger's claw and found a more fun way to lose.

My favourite mission isprobably the battle of verdun on standoff, or that last mission on unknown enemy (its proper solid)

my fav mission would be the 1st time i took out the Excalibers for a test drive. auto-targeting, shelton-slides and 12 FoF missiles gave me one heck of an itchy trigger fingure. which mission was that ? we were saving a planet from kilrathi troop transports and then a bio-warhead in wc3.

Foxtrot said:
my fav mission would be the 1st time i took out the Excalibers for a test drive. auto-targeting, shelton-slides and 12 FoF missiles gave me one heck of an itchy trigger fingure. which mission was that ? we were saving a planet from kilrathi troop transports and then a bio-warhead in wc3.
The mission was the one right after the scramble Flash decided to skip. I think the system was Tamayo.

well, the most memorable missions for me are:

-destroying the "skippers" in wc3
-destroying the bio missiles in wc3
-the final mission of wc3(but it gets a bit boring when you have to do the trench run, plus the planets in wc3 look terrible from up close)
-sending vagabond and sosa down in the spacelab in wc4
-the final mission in WCP

i think i'll go with the final mission in wcp, quite fun to play(love that vampire) and with a great ending.

my favorite is the mission you can't win in WC3 after the T-Bomb expert is lost. You get to fight continuous waves of fighters and corvettes and the mighty Dreadnought.

I liked going after Hobbes in Wing3. First time I played it, I was so immersed in the story that I felt genuinly betrayed. I liked Hobbes a lot, how could he do this to me? So blowing him out of the sky was an interesting experiance. Loved the gameplay in my 3DO version of Wing3...

My first play through of wc3 I had convinced myself that Cobra was the mole and not Hobbes. Her time in a kat prison camp gave me the notion that she had undergone some kind of personality overlay and was reporting back to them...odd how it was the one at the time I thought was the best creature on the victory.

Oh geez, there are several here that come to mind:

Books: Definitely hitting the Kilrathi shipyards in End Run. The whole book was great, as I think I've read it probably a dozen times (literally)

Games:
- Yes, kicking Flash's behind while the words, "Kick that little twerp's..." Well, you know. heh
- At the end of WC2 where you tell Sparks to "Refit that ship with torpedos, Janet" because "Tolwyn wants me off this ship. Now I'm going to give him a reason". Who knew that taking on a station and blowing Thrakhath out of the sky would net a three-rank jump for a promotion?
- Running through the St. Helen's hangar bay in a Dragon and planting a Flash Pack inside. Kinda morbid of me, but I always think of the surprised looks a crew would most likely give seeing an unknown fighter decloak while blazing through their hangar bay just before they go crispy.
- Any mission in Prophecy where listening to Maestro is part of the flight. Joining up with the Kilrathi to take out an N. fleet and having him say, "Hewwo, puddy tats!" cracks me up and adds so much more to the game.

Tigerhawk said:
- Running through the St. Helen's hangar bay in a Dragon and planting a Flash Pack inside. Kinda morbid of me, but I always think of the surprised looks a crew would most likely give seeing an unknown fighter decloak while blazing through their hangar bay just before they go crispy.

You mean the Vesuvius' hangar bay?

I'm not sure Eisen would be happy about his new supercarrier being toasted, but I can imagine what he would say,

"Colonel, you stupid stupid *&!%$$£" (static) BOOM
"Urm... Ooops,"

Back