Creating a computer-aided version of WCTO

Panda also reported he got the email, but ironically I didn't (and my email is hardcoded in!) Maybe it went to my junk filter...

Quailpilot is the only one who hasn't taken his turn yet... maybe he didn't get the email? I wonder if Pantheos got it.

I'm still pretty busy IRL right now, but my schedule becomes significantly more free as of late next week. Hopefully then I can look into the chaff weirdness, perhaps code a few more 'nice' features (like an auto-refresh counter, and click-able 'orders not in' on the intercepted communications screen to pull up your orders screens), and who knows... tackle Cap Ship weapons or tailing?

What's on people's bug fix/feature adding wish-list?

Oh, I'm also still waiting on anyone proposing some formatting for the 'report' window. The catch is the order of the reports needs to stay the same, but the text can look however you want.

Wishes? Well, let's see... I'm still unhappy with the objects selector. Once I've selected a ship and want to check on it again, I first have to select another ship (or "Objects") before being able to get back to the one I want. ;)

Tailing would definitely be a good feature to add. It'd make, um, tailing a lot easier! :p

Maybe we should also try to start an IRC game, meaning we'd meet over at #wingnut and get a quick game going. Possibly between Christmas and New Year's Eve (considering the different time zones we'd have to cover). ;)

And even if it's way down the road, I'd say it would be good to be able to create our own games (without you having to manually insert ships). Even if it's just a front-end that lets you create or join a game, select your fighter and randomizes players' starting positions. It might be worth the hassle, once your RL stops interfering. :p:D

Wishes? Well, let's see... I'm still unhappy with the objects selector. Once I've selected a ship and want to check on it again, I first have to select another ship (or "Objects") before being able to get back to the one I want. ;)
Yeah, I'm not happy with how this behaves either. You may recall I posted a few weeks back that I messed with it for hours and didn't make any improvement. I may just need to come up with an entirely different way to multi-select. (Open to ideas, but ideally ones that are backed with examples/links to code snippets/knowledge of css/html/php/jquery).

Tailing would definitely be a good feature to add. It'd make, um, tailing a lot easier! :p
Well this is just a 'get off my rear and code it' thing, so I can definitely put this through if it is at the top of everyone's wish list.

Maybe we should also try to start an IRC game, meaning we'd meet over at #wingnut and get a quick game going. Possibly between Christmas and New Year's Eve (considering the different time zones we'd have to cover). ;)
Yeah, I think everything is in place for an IRC game, aside from the fact that I'd have to initialize it. I guess getting the auto-refresh timer working would also *really* help an IRC game, since it would feel a lot more 'live' than having to go refresh the main list right, as it is right now.

And even if it's way down the road, I'd say it would be good to be able to create our own games (without you having to manually insert ships). Even if it's just a front-end that lets you create or join a game, select your fighter and randomizes players' starting positions. It might be worth the hassle, once your RL stops interfering. :p:D
Well, this one is currently not in my own personal timeline (go see the appropriate thread) but if you can convince *cough*trick*cough* someone who knows basic html/php forms and some mysql into doing it, nothing stops this kind of thing from being developed side-by-side with the game engine. Honestly the 'game setup' program will have very little to do with what I'm doing now; it just needs to seed the database properly, and at this point I've defined all the formatting so nothing is holding this back aside from time and effort.

My wish is still a little more organized Field Reports.
Yeah, they're getting to me too. If someone can try to put together the css/html for them, that would save me *a lot* of time and encourage me to push this higher on the list, otherwise I'll likely leave this one lower for now, and maybe go after chaff/tailing first.

Other wishes/votes for the above out there?

Yeah, they're getting to me too. If someone can try to put together the css/html for them, that would save me *a lot* of time and encourage me to push this higher on the list, otherwise I'll likely leave this one lower for now, and maybe go after chaff/tailing first.
How complex were you thinking about going with this? I was thinking just a simple paragraph or bullet point per ship report would suffice, colour coded according to race, team, player, or whatever you feel is most suitable.

How complex were you thinking about going with this? I was thinking just a simple paragraph or bullet point per ship report would suffice, colour coded according to race, team, player, or whatever you feel is most suitable.

Yes, that's what I'm thinking too, certainly at least to start. A bullet pointed list with some context-based colour coding would be a huge improvement. If you look over the code, you'll see though, that I build the report as the appropriate _engine is processing the turn, so without using clever Regex or a involved rebuild of the report system, it is going to get dumped in the same order as right now... but it is really easy for me to throw tags around the various messages before they get added to the long string.

Hey Guys,

Three new features have been added to the system (for testing). First, emails sent out should now contain a link to the current turn/phase. Second, when you submit an order, the 'intercepted communications' tab should reload on the fly, and move the ship over to the green side.

Third, if you're correctly logged in, you can click a red ship you pilot on the 'intercepted communications' window to pull up its orders window (this is an alternative to clicking the 'orders' button on its ship pop-up). none of this has been tested, so feedback is appreciated.

The email link works for me, and I can click on a ship in the "intercepted communications" menu to bring up its orders screen. What didn't work, though, is that the ship turns green after I submitted my orders.

Another thing: Beauteous Butch should be able to take evasive action... I can see why chaff wouldn't work, but if there's a Pilum FF headed straight at me, I'd really like to move out of its way. :p
(Or does this already take into consideration that my Sabre couldn't outrun that FF missile?)

(Wow havent seen that thread yet)

So, i got the email already from... the second decembre, i already got one before, strange.

Got still the problem, if i want to select ONE ship, the bar objects is in my way if i want to select ships which are directly in the bar.

More i cant say, only that the email function is working properly without any errors.

Got still the problem, if i want to select ONE ship, the bar objects is in my way if i want to select ships which are directly in the bar.
Yes, this is still an issue, but Avacar is aware of it. Once you've selected one of the ships in the objects selector, you have to select another ship before being able to reselect the first. It's a bit tedious, but since Avacar has done a great job with WCTOO, I won't rush him. ;) I'm sure he'll sort these kind of things out in due time.

The entire 'bar selector' as you're calling it isn't going to get any better; I've fought with it for a while. We're going to need to replace it completely with something new (code snippet wise). I haven't found a good multi selector system yet, but I'm still looking. I'd love to do something like a rotating wheel that actually hides itself when you mouse away, but I just don't have the css/jquery knowhow to do it from scratch.

Quick question, does the game currently support scenarios?

Like if a priority target is destroyed, or if some many turns pass, and etc.

I don't think so, I think we just have a basic set-up for now. This is all still work-in-progress, as far as I'm aware.

At the moment, it does not support any end-game conditions, nor does it let you boot slow players, etc. Those kind of features *are* intended eventually, but are not at the moment, high on the priority list.

Hey everyone,

Opinion time! I finally finished the End-Phase Field Report (aka what happened during Combat Phase) update demo. This is pure html/css for now, but I wanted your opinion on the readability. Colour/spacing/fonts/etc.

See the static demo here. I'll probably update this page with the other 2 field report demos as we go. I know starting with this one is an odd choice, but it was probably the least clear of the three.

Back