BREAKING: WC Prophecy on GOG

Awesome! The collection is now complete - of all the games, its been the longest since I've played Prophecy.

I just checked: GOG didn't alter the game to use new registry keys or anything I could see that would be different so far. Pedro's OpenGL package is working right, no modifications required. Just start the Setup and it'll work. I'll test HCl's DVD upgrade tonight but I don't see why it wouldn't work. So let's spread the news there are cool upgrades on the CIC website ! :)

Both games comes with a Glide wrapper that is working pretty well, although I've spotted a few offset alignment problems (like the radar selected target cross, for example).

Fun fact: GOG changed the "Website" link of the Secret Ops registration screen to "WCnews" and it points to the CIC!

Superb!
I will pick this up tonight. I just need Armada and the collection is complete!
Its great to see these games come out again., I can replay the ones I had and get the ones I missed. I have successfully recruited some of my friends who missed out on some of these titles who have subsequently bought them, and my cousins lad (who I got the WCA dvd for) has had the chance to play these gems, his favourite is Wing 2, closely followed by Wing 3

I just checked: GOG didn't alter the game to use new registry keys or anything I could see that would be different so far. Pedro's OpenGL package is working right, no modifications required. Just start the Setup and it'll work. I'll test HCl's DVD upgrade tonight but I don't see why it wouldn't work.

Make sure you test with the latest version, going back into my posting history, it should be the one posted here (I remember I made a few improvements to make the DVD patch play along with the OpenGL patch):
https://www.wcnews.com/chatzone/thr...ased-october-24-2006.19522/page-7#post-297132

Let me know if some issue comes long, and i'll be on it. I should be picking WCP GOG tonight as well.

(I should really release a new version that backports into the WCP DVD patch the same improvements that were made for the WC4 GOG DVD patch... That, along with a couple extra tweaks.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Make sure you test with the latest version, going back into my posting history, it should be the one posted here (I remember I made a few improvements to make the DVD patch play along with the OpenGL patch):
https://www.wcnews.com/chatzone/thr...ased-october-24-2006.19522/page-7#post-297132

Let me know if some issue comes long, and i'll be on it. I should be picking WCP GOG tonight as well.

(I should really release a new version that backports into the WCP DVD patch the same improvements that were made for the WC4 GOG DVD patch... That, along with a couple extra tweaks.)

I think we need an "all in one patch" which consists of the dvd patch and the enhanced starfield patch ;)

Humm.... odd.... the dll that you posted on that thread is dated 2009-09-20, while the one I have here is 2011-08-23 ? I can test both if you want.

That'd be nice ! :) Would it include the multiplayer logon fix too ?

Ok, after a few tests I can tell you you can get GoG's Prophecy working with HCl's DVD patch:
(I have only tested it in Windows 7, Windows XP users may have a different result with step 4)

1. Install GoG Prophecy
  2. Download HCl's WCP Enhancement Package, and unzip the files straight into the WCP folder. Make sure you DON'T overwrite Prophecy.exe or WCPHR.DLL
  3. Install Pedro's OpenGL Package
  4. Right-click on Prophecy.exe, select "Properties", "Compatibility" tab, and remove the "Win98" compatibility flag. Make sure you also click on the "All users settings" button at the bottom and remove it there too.
  5. Download the DVD movies, and unzip them into a folder called "Movie" in the WCP folder.

Current limitation: The DVD movies only work in OpenGL mode.

Just a quick note from our discussion off-forums:

The reason the current version of the DVD patch only works with OpenGL is because the patch needed to implement a good number of workarounds, which depended on the renderer being used. At some point, i decided it would be best to end the chaos: focus on supporting the OpenGL mode, which provides the best results, and remove support for the other renderers (Software, DirectX, Glide via wrapper), while simultaneously taking the opportunity to tidy the patch a bit.

Still, I'd like to gather some opinions from the community on this one. Does anyone use plain DirectX / Glide mode anymore? In other words, would it be worthwhile to make an effort to bring back DVD movie playback for these rendering modes?

In the meantime, i'll look into backporting some of the WC4DVD improvements into WCP DVD (yes, along with the MP auth fix :)... i've been postponing this for far too long... although in my defense, WC2 ship importing is way too fun :p)

(EDIT: Pete, is there a step missing? On 2) you mention not to overwrite WCPHR.DLL, but there is no step which puts it in there. I think between 1) and 2) you'd want to put the WCPHR.DLL linked above in the installation directory)

So you noticed :p Doing my tests earlier today I remembered why my own version of WCPHR.dll was timestamped differently: because of the many versions of WCPHR.DLL floating around in 2009 I had included the lastest build (the one working correctly you linked me last time) into the OpenGL setup. The altered timestamp was to make sure that the OpenGL setup would not overwrite any future version you'd make (overwrite only if newer than target file).

Since you had made that update (sept 20) to support OpenGL, I figured it would be easier for support.

Anyway, that's why I put the OpenGL install step just after the Enhancement package step. The "Don't overwrite" warning was just to be safe if people reversed the order.

@HCl Perhaps your changes will let wcphr.dll work in wine? Unfortunatly currently it crashes. I guess i can just cross my fingers :)

@PopsiclePete Now with a possibly influx of people we can get more multi games going :) It could always use some tlc. Who knows, more people could mean more interest and someone willing to make a few maps. I know I keep bothering you about it, but in multi, with the current OpenGL patch, the skybox isn't working right. It looks like a small square box of stars in the center of the map if you recall. Perhaps its an issue with the arena map?

@HCl Perhaps your changes will let wcphr.dll work in wine? Unfortunatly currently it crashes. I guess i can just cross my fingers :)

@PopsiclePete Now with a possibly influx of people we can get more multi games going :) It could always use some tlc. Who knows, more people could mean more interest and someone willing to make a few maps. I know I keep bothering you about it, but in multi, with the current OpenGL patch, the skybox isn't working right. It looks like a small square box of stars in the center of the map if you recall. Perhaps its an issue with the arena map?

I can guess why this is happening. If everyone is using the enhanced materials and are willing to give up the legacy fixed function pipeline stuff I could probably knock up a patch pretty quickly.

Back