BREAKING: WC Prophecy on GOG

@HCl Perhaps your changes will let wcphr.dll work in wine? Unfortunatly currently it crashes. I guess i can just cross my fingers :)

The WCP DVD patch wasn't really tested under Wine, so it may or may not work. The more recent WCPHR.DLL removes a few of the more ugly hacks required to support the older renderers, so it could behave better. In any case, i'll try running it with Mac Wine after work and see how well it behaves. If it still crashes, i'll try to at least figure out why ;)

might be slightly off topic, but while we are at it:

@Quarto and @PopsiclePete , since WCP is on GOG now, this might be the right time to look once again into an updated graphics patch for Unknown enemy ;)

remember you guys promised since CIC Birthday 2012, to come up with the patch. now is the time ;)
In all seriousness, now is never the time. Each of us has many priorities in life, and games modding inevitably winds up way down near the bottom of the list.

I do wish we had been able to keep that promise - at the time, I thought it would be possible - and I don't regret making such a commitment even if we failed. But for the time being, about all you can do is keep reminding me and hoping things change in the future, because at the moment, it is simply impossible for me to allocate time for UE.

Just how much much of a overhaul are we talking about anyway, other than bringing over the graphical enhancement stuff from Standoff?

A pretty big one, but mainly on our end. We don't want to make big obvious changes - you know, we won't be drastically altering the game design, recording new voiceovers, replacing the patchwork ship graphics, or anything like that.

The biggest change is implementing the internal fiction viewer - and honestly, I wouldn't even do that, if it wasn't for the fact that the external viewer doesn't even seem to work properly on my machine these days, and I assume it's the same for many others as well. Unfortunately, implementing the internal fiction viewer means drastically rewriting the fiction, because it's way, way too long - remember, we have no scrolling in the viewer, and the UE fiction was never intended to be displayed in screen-sized chunks. I'd kill for scrolling support :).

The second-biggest change is a very careful behind-the-scenes overhaul of the missions and cutscenes: almost no obvious, visible changes to the end user, but simply a fix-up of the code to eliminate the numerous bugs that remain in the game (and probably to add new ones - hopefully not major ones...).

Other than that, it's just little details...

Strange...
I've install EP than OGLP than unset compatibility flag than put HiRes movies into Movie folder.
And got "Insert CD1" as a result.
What's wrong?

Does I need to run install.exe after EP installation or OGLP need not that step?
You don't need to run the installer on the EP, just unzip the file and you should be done.

The WCP DVD patch wasn't really tested under Wine, so it may or may not work. The more recent WCPHR.DLL removes a few of the more ugly hacks required to support the older renderers, so it could behave better. In any case, i'll try running it with Mac Wine after work and see how well it behaves. If it still crashes, i'll try to at least figure out why ;)

Ok, i gave it a try last night. Apparently Wine does not implement VMR7, which is what the DVD Patch uses. I tried changing it to use VMR9 as a test (which causes its own issues in Windows, but is likely to help with Wine), but Mac Wine complains that Video 4 Linux support was not built in, so it crashes anyway. I'll try playing a bit more with Wine and WineTricks tonight.

@wcnut , could you confirm that your Wine has Video 4 Linux support built in? Can you post (or send me via message) the full error messages Wine puts out?

Thanks!

Well, re-installed WCP@GOG, EP (without overwriting prophecy.exe), OGLP, movies.
Got 2 problems.
1. Secret Ops don't launched anymore (worked fine before OGLP).
2. DVD movies are unstable - it didn't work from scratch, after K-Lite codec pack installation I've got audio, after mpeg2decfilter.ax installation I've got video but after changing resolution using launcher.exe I've lost video again.

Windows 7 Pro 64-bit.

You don't need to run the installer on the EP, just unzip the file and you should be done.

Ok, i gave it a try last night. Apparently Wine does not implement VMR7, which is what the DVD Patch uses. I tried changing it to use VMR9 as a test (which causes its own issues in Windows, but is likely to help with Wine), but Mac Wine complains that Video 4 Linux support was not built in, so it crashes anyway. I'll try playing a bit more with Wine and WineTricks tonight.

@wcnut , could you confirm that your Wine has Video 4 Linux support built in? Can you post (or send me via message) the full error messages Wine puts out?

Thanks!

Hey thanks! Will do when I get a chance tonight. I've been actually been using wineskin which is a little more easy to work with then straight up building wine in macports, not to mention you have more control with a specific engine for every game.

Offhand though, I do remember seeing the Video 4 Linux missing error before. The problem is I'm not using Linux either. Doing a quick google search, wine—for some reason—checks that first assuming you are on linux,and throws that error, but it's suppose to switch to quicktime libraries, which I guess either can't read the movies or there is another reason altogether for the crash. For starters, I really am not sure how quicktime is suppose to be implemented. I suppose if we can determine there is nothing actually wrong with dll, I can ask doh123 who is an expert when it comes to wine on mac. I guess a good test would be to try wine in linux and see if it actually works there :)

Last edited:
Well, re-installed WCP@GOG, EP (without overwriting prophecy.exe), OGLP, movies.
Got 2 problems.
1. Secret Ops don't launched anymore (worked fine before OGLP).
2. DVD movies are unstable - it didn't work from scratch, after K-Lite codec pack installation I've got audio, after mpeg2decfilter.ax installation I've got video but after changing resolution using launcher.exe I've lost video again.

Windows 7 Pro 64-bit.

Check your options in the settings for Secret Ops - intel cards in particular don't like the FSAA options.

I really ought to rewrite the thing, remove the legacy code, check for driver support before enabling certain features, and switch to GLSL to remove the dependencys on the nvidia dlls. Ahh for a bit of free time.

Check your options in the settings for Secret Ops - intel cards in particular don't like the FSAA options

WCP works fine (except DVD movies) on same HW with same OGLP and same options, but WCSO fail.
Does it possible that Intel card like FSAA for WCP and dislike for WCSO? ;)

Anyway, can somebody help me to select & setup proper codecs for WCP + DVD movies to work on Win 7 Pro 64 with both audio and video?

WCP works fine (except DVD movies) on same HW with same OGLP and same options, but WCSO fail.
Does it possible that Intel card like FSAA for WCP and dislike for WCSO? ;)

Anyway, can somebody help me to select & setup proper codecs for WCP + DVD movies to work on Win 7 Pro 64 with both audio and video?

Unlikely, have you confirmed your compatibility settings are the same for both?

have you confirmed your compatibility settings are the same for both?

Yes.
I switch off "compatibility mode" for WCSO as do it for WCP coz it was prerequisite for WCP to work in OGL with HiRes & DVD movies.
So, to summ my experience:
- both WCP & WCSO work fine in Glide mode just after installing plain WCP@GOG;
- I dose not test WCP after EP installation coz I'm not interested right now in multiplayer and DVD movies useless in Glide mode;
- WCP work fine in OpenGL mode but WCSO fail after installing OGLP on both and switching compatibility off on both of them;
- WCP fail to show movies after installing DVD movies, latest K-Lite Codec Pack help for audio only, mpeg2dec help for video only until switching resolution by launcher.exe.
Following the instructions step by step I've got absolutely useless WCSO and WCP working but without video.

You didn't quite follow them: I didn't write you'd have to remove the compatibility setting for Secret Ops did I ? ;) The thing is, HCl's Enhancement Pack "fixes" Prophecy.exe so it doesn't require the Win98 compatibility flag anymore... but the Enhancement Pack only patched Prophecy, not Secret Ops, so the later really needs the Win98 compatibility flag.

- WCP fail to show movies after installing DVD movies, latest K-Lite Codec Pack help for audio only, mpeg2dec help for video only until switching resolution by launcher.exe.
Could you please try to explain exactly what happens ? Are the movie showing or not ? In a separate window or in the game ? Are you running the game fullscreen or windowed ? You say mpeg2dec "helped": in what way ? Was it not showing before and now it is ? You say it helped "until switching resolution": what worked differently after changing resolution ? What was the original (working) resolution and the later resolution that didn't work ? You know you can't change any setting, including resolution, while the game is running, right ?

For audio, the game needs a ac3 codec to be installed. I would presume K-Lite to include it, but I don't know. Did you install ac3filter as per HCl's recommendations ? I'll try to get some time tonight to look through the codec packages available on the net and see what they contain.

A pretty big one, but mainly on our end. We don't want to make big obvious changes - you know, we won't be drastically altering the game design, recording new voiceovers, replacing the patchwork ship graphics, or anything like that.

Good, I'm glad to hear it. There has to be so much you feel you could do better looking back after this long, I was worried you'd get carried away. :)

Good, I'm glad to hear it. There has to be so much you feel you could do better looking back after this long, I was worried you'd get carried away. :)
Oh, get carried away is exactly the first thing I did :). Even though I went into this upgrade knowing full well that nothing short of a total remake would satisfy me (...and that, therefore, I should do absolutely nothing more than is needed to make the original UE work properly), I still ended up trying to make various changes, tempted by the simple fact that I could. It's a hard thing, revisiting a project you did ages ago and avoid making gratuitous alterations - just ask George Lucas :). You really have to hold yourself back all the time.

Back