Alpha Test Game 5

Avacar, seeing the display in Game 4...I've logged in today, but it's showing time since last login as "1d 1h 0m 2s ago", as of the last screen reload.
The countdown is based on last pilot action, not last user login. I could use either one, but I figured the pilot action made slightly more sense. It would indicate (better?) when a player has checked on their pilot in a given game last. If we want, i could push it back to a global user login countdown instead, or even a 'last visible' countdown (i.e. last time they visited the site). All feedback and opinions are appreciated.

Actually, come to think of it, it does make more sense to do last pilot action. I mean, if someone's involved in more than one game (like Ironduke and I up until about three hours ago), they'd be logging in more frequently to make their moves in various games. When that person logged in last wouldn't tell you as much (like how long some folks have been waiting for you to move already...).

Visited the Game 5 site. When I looked at the time for Sivar's Fist, it said "Last: 1d 1h 0m 32s ago". When I reloaded the page and looked again, it said "Last: 1d 1h 0m 25s ago". So either time is running backwards, or something's not iterating the way it's supposed to.

By overwhelmingly popular demand, all popup windows now feature an 'X' to close them. This is targeted mostly at tablet/smartphone users, but it "should" work for everyone. Feedback always appreciated.

edit: also this update pushed in some of Wedge's updates to font and font size. Please provide feedback to that over in the interface thread.

By overwhelmingly popular demand, all popup windows now feature an 'X' to close them.

So, this works for closing the window. However, I'm not able to make the window re-appear by any way after pressing the X.

EDIT: Oh, and forgot the browser, if it helps any: Firefox 7.0.1

So, this works for closing the window. However, I'm not able to make the window re-appear by any way after pressing the X.

EDIT: Oh, and forgot the browser, if it helps any: Firefox 7.0.1
Hmm. same problem here.... fixed.

Was hiding the stuff inside the popup but not the popup itself, so you were able to make the empty popup reappear but would never know. Fixed what level of hide is used.

Turn5 EP:

Did my message about the clocks get lost in the wash somewhere? Because they're still not working properly. Case in point, I was holding up the works in 5CP, put in my orders, the game advanced to 5 EP, and it says my last login was "1d 0h 1m 0s ago" for Washout and "1d 0h 0m 35s ago" for Zombie. I'm pretty sure that a whole day has not passed within the span of the last five minutes, by definition.

Also not sure the skill system is working properly...either there's a bug there or I am misunderstanding the rules. It's skill, speed and distance affecting the TR roll...okay. So, lets my attacks on Violent Breeze. He's a Sartha; the normal TR is eight. He's a Veteran, so that should increase to nine.

Washout is a Regular pilot (no modifier) traveling at Speed 3 (no modifier) and firing at Violent Breeze, who's also travelling at Speed 3 (no modifier). Range to target is 1 (no modifier). The TR number should therefore be nine. Game says I needed an eight to hit.

Zombie is an Elite pilot (+2 attack roll) traveling at Speed 5 (+1 TR penalty) at range 3 (+1 TR). So that should be a nine to hit. Game says I need an eleven. I can kinda see this one, although the speed should affect the attack roll.

Also wondering why Zombie, who didn't have the direct line on Breeze, got to fire twice while Washout (who had the direct line) only got to shoot once.

Turn5 EP:

Did my message about the clocks get lost in the wash somewhere? Because they're still not working properly. Case in point, I was holding up the works in 5CP, put in my orders, the game advanced to 5 EP, and it says my last login was "1d 0h 1m 0s ago" for Washout and "1d 0h 0m 35s ago" for Zombie. I'm pretty sure that a whole day has not passed within the span of the last five minutes, by definition.
I heard it, but I just haven't gotten to it yet.

Also not sure the skill system is working properly...either there's a bug there or I am misunderstanding the rules. It's skill, speed and distance affecting the TR roll...okay. So, lets my attacks on Violent Breeze. He's a Sartha; the normal TR is eight. He's a Veteran, so that should increase to nine.

Washout is a Regular pilot (no modifier) traveling at Speed 3 (no modifier) and firing at Violent Breeze, who's also travelling at Speed 3 (no modifier). Range to target is 1 (no modifier). The TR number should therefore be nine. Game says I needed an eight to hit.

Zombie is an Elite pilot (+2 attack roll) traveling at Speed 5 (+1 TR penalty) at range 3 (+1 TR). So that should be a nine to hit. Game says I need an eleven. I can kinda see this one, although the speed should affect the attack roll.
As per my message above, the pilot values show up in the dice roll, not the to-hit TR value. In practice, you'll roll with a +2 so it'll work out.

Also wondering why Zombie, who didn't have the direct line on Breeze, got to fire twice while Washout (who had the direct line) only got to shoot once.
I'd have to look at it closer.

By overwhelmingly popular demand, all popup windows now feature an 'X' to close them. This is targeted mostly at tablet/smartphone users, but it "should" work for everyone. Feedback always appreciated.

edit: also this update pushed in some of Wedge's updates to font and font size. Please provide feedback to that over in the interface thread.
Yay! :D Fonts seem to work fine for me, and I'll check to see if the "X" works on my tablet soon. There's one more problem concerning touch controls, btw: Whenever there are multiple objects in one hex, I only get to the object selector. I can't click on it, though, so I can't actually select any ship - it will just display "Objects."

Yay! :D Fonts seem to work fine for me, and I'll check to see if the "X" works on my tablet soon. There's one more problem concerning touch controls, btw: Whenever there are multiple objects in one hex, I only get to the object selector. I can't click on it, though, so I can't actually select any ship - it will just display "Objects."
Ugh. I thought we had finally solved the multiple-object issues. Man, debugging that thing to work with tablets may be beyond what I can do for the short term; it took some intense coding to get it fixed to work at all since it was someone else's code that I had to update and correct bugs within, especially given that I don't personally have access to a touch-based interface, so the feedback loop on debugging would be very slow.

5MP field report:
Wow, 15 needed to hit a missile? That seems really high! Even I wasn't expecting that outcome. Ironduke, does that work out to what you'd expect, given the ship speeds involved and the missile's guidance values? Even a legendary pilot would need a perfect roll of 12 to hit a missile in these conditions!

Wow, 15 needed to hit a missile? That seems really high!
It does, and I'm not sure where that 15 came from. Thanks for pointing this out! Actually, taking down a missile always requires a 10+, modified by the pilot's skill and nothing else. (Thinking about it, we could discuss whether a barrel roll or any other maneuver would add a penalty to this TR.) This is explained in "Taking Down Missiles" (page 6 of the manual if you don't count the cover).

If touch-based controls are such a hassle, then don't consider it high priority. I'm not sure who else is using a smartphone or tablet to play WCTOO anyway... ;)

5MP field report:
Wow, 15 needed to hit a missile? That seems really high! Even I wasn't expecting that outcome. Ironduke, does that work out to what you'd expect, given the ship speeds involved and the missile's guidance values? Even a legendary pilot would need a perfect roll of 12 to hit a missile in these conditions!

What I'm more amazed about though is the angle at which the shooting occured.

missile.PNG

The Jalkehi is the one firing, with all refires.

What I'm more amazed about though is the angle at which the shooting occured.

View attachment 5121

The Jalkehi is the one firing, with all refires.
I've coded it to allow point defense against missiles that pass through their firing arc. This was done with a bit of guesswork and supposition on the missile path (as opposed to actual pathing and verification of range). That said, I don't think the Jalkehi was firing at the missile in that picture, rather it was firing at the one just launched by Porcupine 1. This new missile can move at speed 8 turn starboard 1 and be dead on for hitting the Jalkehi.

As a side point, this raises another question: what happened to the missile??? According to the field report, it wasn't shot down, and yet it also didn't smash into anyone, nor can I find it on the map. It just vanished!

It does, and I'm not sure where that 15 came from. Thanks for pointing this out! Actually, taking down a missile always requires a 10+, modified by the pilot's skill and nothing else. (Thinking about it, we could discuss whether a barrel roll or any other maneuver would add a penalty to this TR.) This is explained in "Taking Down Missiles" (page 6 of the manual if you don't count the cover).
At the moment, hitting the missile is going through all the same TR calculations as hitting a ship. I'm using the guidance value as the missile's opposing pilot check, but unlike with a pilot skill, it *is* getting factored into the TR (whereas you can take that TR value and subtract off the pilot skill yourself to see what you'd need to roll. I know this is pretty confusing, perhaps I should just go put the pilot factors into the TR values and make the dice straight dice again? This has no effect on what is going on, it would just display the information differently.) As it stands, things like barrel rolling are being factored in already. I suspect we're getting from 10+ to 15+ from +2 due to guidance, +2 due to relative speed category differences (missile traveling at speed 9+, Jalkehi in the 1-4 range), and a +1 from the range to target... that's my guess though. I'd have to rewind the turn and put all kinds of break points in to actually determine what happened and how it got built up.

If touch-based controls are such a hassle, then don't consider it high priority. I'm not sure who else is using a smartphone or tablet to play WCTOO anyway... ;)
You're not the only one. Baby Fark McGeeZax seems to be only playing the game on his smartphone.

edit: hey look, another wierd bug. A bunch of the ships are all now targeting Porcupine 1. With multi-turn missile locks. Somehow the one that Afterlife made 'leaked' to the other ships.

I've coded it to allow point defense against missiles that pass through their firing arc. This was done with a bit of guesswork and supposition on the missile path (as opposed to actual pathing and verification of range). That said, I don't think the Jalkehi was firing at the missile in that picture, rather it was firing at the one just launched by Porcupine 1. This new missile can move at speed 8 turn starboard 1 and be dead on for hitting the Jalkehi.

Wow, I completely missed that missile. Quite a mistake... still, it should be headed for Porcupine 2. But I can't find the missile anyway.
My only guess could be that the code doesn't check whether it hit and destroys the missile when just shot at... But just a wild guess.

edit: hey look, another wierd bug. A bunch of the ships are all now targeting Porcupine 1. With multi-turn missile locks. Somehow the one that Afterlife made 'leaked' to the other ships.
Yay, I'm a bug causer!
But it leaked strangely, only some of the ships are targeting Porcupine 1, mainly the ones in the lower half of the map.

At the moment, hitting the missile is going through all the same TR calculations as hitting a ship. I'm using the guidance value as the missile's opposing pilot check, but unlike with a pilot skill, it *is* getting factored into the TR (whereas you can take that TR value and subtract off the pilot skill yourself to see what you'd need to roll. (...) I suspect we're getting from 10+ to 15+ from +2 due to guidance, +2 due to relative speed category differences (missile traveling at speed 9+, Jalkehi in the 1-4 range), and a +1 from the range to target...
Okay, then we're probably just seeing the results of a misunderstanding. :)
The range to hit a missile should be anywhere between 7+ (Legendary) and 11+ (Green). It's really only 10+ and pilot skill level - no missile guidance, speed differences or range modifiers should be at work here.

Okay, then we're probably just seeing the results of a misunderstanding. :)
The range to hit a missile should be anywhere between 7+ (Legendary) and 11+ (Green). It's really only 10+ and pilot skill level - no missile guidance, speed differences or range modifiers should be at work here.
Well, I feel this is inconsistent; it would make more sense to me to lower the actual TR on missiles such that it would add up to be in the range you expect for most situations.

That said, you're the boss, so I've coded an exception in such that when regular guns fire at missiles, it just takes the base missile TR and then adds the pilot skills (and not having the pilot skill factored into the TR calculation pays off!) The 'needs to hit' value will always display 10 from now on, and just keep in mind your dice roll is modified by your pilot skill.

Meanwhile, I think I know what part of code would logically have made most of you get missile locks on Porcupine 1, but I can't actually see/figure out where it occurred. No obvious bugs or (more likely) logical flaws jump out at the for the moment.

Been getting this message today when attempting to access the site:

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_OBJECT_OPERATOR in /home/agespast/www/www/avacar/phase5/weapon.php on line 153

Started up just before noon CST and it's been doing that ever since. I'm trying to access the game with Firefox 7 on my work terminal; haven't tried in a different browser/different terminal.

Back