Your WC dream ship?

One day, Ed, we'll have the chance to Fly wc3 ships multiplayer, and I'll fly that Hellcat, and I'll show you what that baby can do. Then, just to add insult to injury, I'll shame you from behind the stick of a Ferret!

wc1 - Raptor
wc2 - Ferret, Broadsword 2nd
wc3 - Hellcat or Arrow
wc4 - Hellcat
WCP/SO - Panther (because it reminds me of the Raptor so much)

Ships I detest

wc1 - Rapier (too easy)
wc2 - Sabre (kaboom)
wc3 - Excalibur (too easy)
wc4 - Dragon (way to farkin' easy)
WCP/SO - Vampire (too easy, flies kinda funny), Tigershark (dunno . . just never really appealed to me that much), Shrike (kaboom)

You've all got very good points. Still, an Avenger, Excalibur, or Dragon would be my fighter of choice. I like my fighters either heavily armed+armored, or fast+sleek, or both!

The thing about ships that are both well armed AND fast/maneuverable is that they take the challenge out of the game. It's fun for about five minutes, then it's just repetitive blasting. No challenge there.

That's why I'm so nuts about the Ferret. It's very fast and maneuverable, but it only has two mass-driver cannons, and won't survive a stern talking to, much less a beating. You have to use good flying skills to stay out of enemy gunsights, and on their six (with them in your gunsights).

The Dragon ofcourse... cloacking, auto aim, fission guns, infinite afterburner, great look and flash pack (that takes out any space station or capital ship).

Makes me wonder why they didn't only build Dragons and flash packed every Nephilim ship out there :p . Guess that would be to easy.

The dragon was about as expensive as a carrier, I guess.

Bah, hellcat lovers never have any decent arguments, they just ramble and make empty multiplayer threats.

Facts are simple, if we put two pilots of the same skill facing each other, one in a hellcat, the other in an Arrow, the Arrow pilot will most surelly win, due to the speed, agility and enhanced missile loadout.

If we swap the Arrow for the Thud, the bigger ship we kill the hellcat in seconds with its amazing choice of guns and the souped up shields and armor.

the hellcat is too slow and clumsy to be an "artist" ship (like the rapier, ferret, banshee, piranha etc.) and too lightly armed and shielded to be a tanker (like the Thud, Raptor, Avenger, Shrike etc.).

In any of the missions in WC3 where the 3 basic ships are available - i.e., most of the missions - you can do a better job by choosing either the Arrow or the Thud, depending on the mission's objectives.

People may like the Hellcat better, it is their right to do so, but when it comes to statistics and actual mission efficiency, the 'Cat is always outclassed by someone else.

I can see why the bearcat would be a good ship in the Wing Commander universe... Because it has auto aim it's much easier for bad aiming pilots to hit their targets. I don't think that in the WC universe every pilot out there would be able to constantly pull an Arrow to it's max g-force turns... I can understand that a bearcat is a much easier to handle spacecraft then the arrow. Increasing it's overal effective % for the avarage pilot. Maybe the bearcat is also very cheap to construct? We don't know these stats... So we can't really judge.

Ofcourse none of this counts for the player... We don't feel the g-forces pushing on our bodies and we never black/red out.

I'm talking of the HELLcat, that mediocre piece of hardware...
the BEARcat was a lot more powerfull than the Arrow or the hellcat.

All true. Chuck Yeager said it himself once, about how the skill of the pilot, and not the abilities of the plane, determine the winner: "It's the man, not the machine."

That's why I compared the ships while flown by equivalent pilots...
Come on, I can do a better job in either the arrow or the thud. the hellcat is lost in a limbo of mediocrity between the two excellent fighters.

Well I would postulate that with the level of technology of the era, that the cockpits would incorporate artificial gravity and inertia dampers to null out any G forces produced by sudden turns or manuvers. If these cockpits had nothing to counter act both zero G and G forces produced during flight manuvers..then chances are extremely good that you would be thrown around in your seat held back by the seat belts and "shaken and stirred" in a very violent way, quite possibly snapping your neck or spine and most likely would not survive. Man can handle about 7 G's, 8-9 at the very max before blacking out, and thats taking current atmospheric aircraft measurements. In space..those G forces would be 10 times or more due to the fact that the spacecraft is traveling MUCH faster than an airplane in atmospheric flight. Now lets throw in afterburn turns and manuevers!

Edfilho said:
That's why I compared the ships while flown by equivalent pilots...
Come on, I can do a better job in either the arrow or the thud. the hellcat is lost in a limbo of mediocrity between the two excellent fighters.

You cant compared the ships while flown by equivalent pilots. becouse all good pilot would have choosen hellcat.

If the cockpits would cancel out g-forces, the pilots wouldn't need those flight suits. Ofcourse pilots are under extreem stress while flying those spacecrafts. Remember that Maniac sayd that he took someone with him that had to puke when he made a few rolls? Comparing equal pilots is unrealistic... in reality there are no equal pilots. It depends on your physical abilities and your flying style what the best spacecraft for you is.

Doesn't the Hellcat have more afterburner fuel then an Arrow?

The Fly said:
If the cockpits would cancel out g-forces, the pilots wouldn't need those flight suits. Ofcourse pilots are under extreem stress while flying those spacecrafts. Remember that Maniac sayd that he took someone with him that had to puke when he made a few rolls?

My guess would be the flight suits are for cases of emergencies such as having to eject from the craft, and the ejection pod, which basically would be your cockpit module, seperates from the main life support systems on the ship, thus you would need the flight suit since the cockpit itself would not have the power or room for any life support euipment, but only room and power for a homing beacon and perhaps some light inside the cockpit and for communications.

Of course we can compare pilots of similar skill.

and,

You cant compared the ships while flown by equivalent pilots. becouse all good pilot would have choosen hellcat.

Is exactly the kind of dumb logicless answer to be expected from a hellcat lover... Hellcats are the very definition of mediocre. And that is not an opinion, is a statement of facts based on cold stats. Speed, maneuverability, guns, missiles, shields, armor... all right in the middle. Not exceptional in any area.... bah.

As to the Hellcat V craft..I find it a good general purpose type ship, perhaps best suited for localized patrol and perhaps tactical support. But I would definately not rely on the Hellcat V for a sustained battle, it simply is not beefy enough for that.

And the flight suit thing....military fighter pilots woudlnt need a flight suit either since the craft is inside a breathable atmosphere, they usually put on oxygen masks when reaching certian altitudes (10,000 or above), but the flight suit in general really has no bearing on a pilots skills or ability to fly a fighter, be it a space craft or aircraft.

I dont see too many 747 or learjet pilots wearing flight suits and those craft reach altitudes of 38,000 feet and higher. :)

It depends on your physical abilities and your flying style what the best spacecraft for you is.

If you're a artiste pilot who likes a fast a agile craft which needs no heavy armor because you rely on your flashy flying skills, you'll pick the arrow.

If you're an agressive pilot who prefers to count on heavy guns and protection, and shoot down the enemy with the least number of shots, you'll pick the Thud.

The hellcat is neither fast nor powerfull, neither agile nor well protected...

It is like the Scim, why would fly it if you could choose either the Raptor or the Rapier?

I know of one more style, apart from the artiste flyer and the heavy gunner: the mediocre. the hellcat may suit him fine.

Back