WORST WCP/SO ship

Lt.Overload

Rear Admiral
What do you think were the worst WCP/SO ships and why.

I didn't like the Excalibur, that thing had weak sheilds. Seriously, I was a Vampire BL and I swaped a alien file with the Excalibur one. One hit, it went critical and blew up. I used full guns but only the right guns hit it because it bounced off my sheild first and turned right.

That just doesn't add up.

A single shot from full guns on Black Vampire does 364 cm equiv damage (assuming all 6 shots hit)

an Excalibur can survive somewhat more than that.

Are you sure you didn't fire twice or change the Excalibur's stats?

I only (as far as I remember) changed the guns to all laser. I fired and I think I had no more power afterwards. I also shot a Tracker missle before so one could have landed on the ship when it was out of sight.

I think that the tigershark was pretty much inadaquate for any mission except SEAD. The tigershark was excellent at taking down turrets with its rockets and charging mass drivers.

I'd have to give my vote for "worst" to the Piranha, due to lack of endurance. Not enough gun capacitor to take down anything heavier than a Moray unless you adjust the power settings, and while the Stormfire is excellent, it's a limited resource.

That said, when I say "worst" I certainly don't mean I dislike the Piranha. It's a joy to fly.

Shrike. I almost dislike it as much as Armada's Phantom.

The Tigershark I found to be a real step upward from the Piranha, with the Charging MD and RP.

I don't really hate any of them, but I was least fond of the Piranha, personally. I never really used the Stormfire much in either WC4 or Prophecy (though watching one light up a cloaking Dragon was all sparkly and stuff :D ), so I couldn't really say if it made up for the energy firepower shortage or not. I just know that it was the least fun I had of any of the fighters I flew in WCP or WCSO.

(Tigershark is actually kinda up towards the "like" end of the spectrum, for me. Bag it for not really being outstanding in most operations, but having to go without ITTS for the rockets against light fighters and waiting for the perfect shot before letting off a CMD salvo was some of the most interesting flying that I remember.)

As a "classic WC" vet, I didn't really like any of WCSO ships :)
Panther - too ugly (visually)
Wasp - most ugly, too
Vampire.... eeew.... Not a ship at all.
Devastator? Flying coffin, even more deadlier for its pilot than Crossbow was...

So - the only one which can barely be called a ship - is a Panther. The others ... you know, these words are not spoken aloud :)

Replacing Shrike with Longbow, and Vampire/Panther with Hellcat.... That's my choice of WCSO ships :)
I cannot autoslide or do some others thing, so the old 'cat is my choice :)

Well, Thunderbolt was good enough. Had it some more torpedoes - it'd replace my choice for bomber. Unfortunately it hasn't....

As a "classic WC" vet, I didn't really like any of WCSO ships :)
Panther - too ugly (visually)
Wasp - most ugly, too
Vampire.... eeew.... Not a ship at all.
Devastator? Flying coffin, even more deadlier for its pilot than Crossbow was.......

I'll agree there, but appearances be hanged! I thought the Wasp was a capable ship. I loved the swarmers, and its the first ship you fly in WCP that has the Tachyon gun.

So - the only one which can barely be called a ship - is a Panther. The others ... you know, these words are not spoken aloud :)

The panther to me is like the Rapier was in WC2, I loved that thing. I know it gets a lot of flak, but I really enjoyed the panther.

Replacing Shrike with Longbow, and Vampire/Panther with Hellcat.... That's my choice of WCSO ships :)

Are you serious? I mean shrike with Longbow... yeah ok that works as I actually made it back in that, which is more then i can say about the shrike... But a Hellcat V over a Panther? The Hellcat V sucked every way a fighter CAN suck. Slow, almost painfully under armed, bad acceleration, the works, none of these were a problem for either the Panther or the Vamp.

I cannot autoslide or do some others thing, so the old 'cat is my choice :)

Well, Thunderbolt was good enough. Had it some more torpedoes - it'd replace my choice for bomber. Unfortunately it hasn't....

While I still think you're out of your mind when it comes to the Hellcat V, i must agree with you on the Tbolt. I don't even know why they bothered with the Longbow as there is nothing it can do that the Tbolt can't, beyond pissing someone off to the point of throwing thier joystick across the room.

My biggest fault with the WCP/SO ships is the Devastator... because the game didn't give you the right 'feel' for it. I went through several missions without even realizing it was covered in turrets! It's the closest thing to a B-29 in Space that we've flown, but the game didn't 'create' that sense around it.

Yeah, it's a pity the automated turrets don't seem to fire very much. Or when they do, they rarely hit (I know this for a fact because my gunnery accuracy is always greatly reduced when flying the Shrike or the Devastator... ruins the mission score...)

My biggest fault with the WCP/SO ships is the Devastator... because the game didn't give you the right 'feel' for it. I went through several missions without even realizing it was covered in turrets! It's the closest thing to a B-29 in Space that we've flown, but the game didn't 'create' that sense around it.

Agreed, I always had trouble with the devastator. If the allied AI had been good enough to keep bugs off my back, it would be one thing, but as it was, you're a sitting duck when you should be getting the sensation of slowly wading into combat. The devastator should have felt more like a broadsword than an SWACS.

Agreed, I always had trouble with the devastator. If the allied AI had been good enough to keep bugs off my back, it would be one thing, but as it was, you're a sitting duck when you should be getting the sensation of slowly wading into combat. The devastator should have felt more like a broadsword than an SWACS.

The turrents were the worst part, they screw up your score, and they sometimes shoot allies, which causes tratior mode, as I like to call it.

The turrents were the worst part, they screw up your score, and they sometimes shoot allies, which causes tratior mode, as I like to call it.

Yeah, and a fat lot of good they did!

Take a Panther or a Vampire and replace all their missiles with a pair of heavy torpedoes and you've got a far better bombing platform, at least in a combat situation.

Take a Panther or a Vampire and replace all their missiles with a pair of heavy torpedoes and you've got a far better bombing platform, at least in a combat situation.

That's in the game. Black Vampire Bomber (Vamprblb) and Black Panther Bomber (panthrblb). Who came up with the whole "Black" series? It was just some upgrades, and the same color ship. Nothing black about them.

Back